Fallen Review

artist: evanescence date: 02/21/2011 category: compact discs
evanescence: Fallen
Released: Mar 4, 2003
Genre: Rock
Tones: Bleak, Brooding, Cathartic, Melancholy, Earnest, Bittersweet, Eerie, Ominous, Yearning, Dramatic
Styles: Post-Grunge, Alternative Metal, Goth Metal, Chamber Pop
 Lyrics: 8.4
 8.6
 8.5
 8.6
Fallen Reviewed by: Rocker3829, on september 26, 2003

Sound: The overall sound was incredible. With the orchestra included on some of the songs, piano, guitar, bass, drums, and arguably one of the best singers in music today Amy Lee, blows me away. This is completely different from anything I've ever heard before, and if you want something in music that doesn't sound like a certain other band or thing, get this album. // 10

Lyrics: Most of the lyrics come from experiences the band and its members may have had. Just overall greatness in meaning and incredible voice of Amy Lee to go along with it. // 10

Overall Impression: First time I had ever heard of this band was like so many was the hit song "Bring Me to Life". Liked it first time I heard it. Finally found the name of the band, Evanescence, and went to Kazaa and looked for the song. Found it, downloaded it, and loved it still. Wasn't sure if they were going to be a one hit wonder so I downloaded 3 more songs, and was sold. Finally got the album, just flat out awesome. From the Piano ballads of "Hello" and "My Immortal" to the guitar riffs in "Haunted", "Whisper" and "Going Under" and my favorite track on the album, "Tourniquet" which is a cover of "My Tourniquet"-Soul Embraced, this album really explains itself as a great rock album. Now I actually own 2 copies of this cd. A definite must buy. // 10

Fallen Reviewed by: unregistered, on july 20, 2005

Sound: The sound is all very rock and I love it. It is absolutely fantastic with some great licks and original sounds. A lot of the songs sound similar but I think that is one of the beauty's of it. I really like the sound of all of their music and of course Amy Lee has the most beautiful singing voice I have ever heard in my entire life. She is definitely a huge highlight of this album. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are beautiful and full of emotion. They give me a lot of inspiration for writing my own songs. Imaginary to me is about being unhappy with reality and creating your own sanctuary to escape from reality. I think we can all relate to that. And My Immortal is a song we can all relate to when we lose someone we love. The haunting voice of Amy Lee makes these lyrics complete. I like that the lyrics of the album address issues such as depression, confusion, loss, suicide, love and lack of self esteem. Although they sound very depressing, it is easy to relate to their music. // 10

Overall Impression: This is my favourite band ever and my favourite album ever. I can't wait until the next album. My favourite songs are My Immortal, Bring Me To life, Going Under, Hello, Haunted, Imaginary, Whisper, Tourniquet, Taking Over Me, Everybody's Fool and my Last Breath. I guess that is all of them! I love the lyrics and amy's vocals. I love the guitar and the drums and I pretty much love everything. I love them live (I've seen them). If it were stolen I would freak and buy it again. it is definitely worth buying, a great way to spend money. Evanescence Rock! // 10

Fallen Reviewed by: unregistered, on july 20, 2005

Sound: The band's sound, isn't like any other album out there. You lable them as a "goth/metal" band, when they are, but where do you put the heavenly vocals, the soft piano and instrumental parts in many of the songs, and the chiors that back Amy up on almost half the songs? They have definetly brought a whole new sound to the world of music. I think all of this album is coming out of a point of depression, maddness and sadness. Overall, Evanescence's sound is amazing. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics on this album are really good. Just the fact that the band can express their anger and sadness without a single bad thing in there, just makes me like them even more. I do think that having some bad stuff in your CD is kinda cool, but I've never really heard one without a single bad word in there. I think that, that takes a lot of somg writing skills to do that. I've even written songs with innapropriate stuff in them. The lyrics with the music is awesome. I really think that they go perfectly together. Evanescence did sn amazing job putting the lyrics to the music. Alright. Now how do I rate Amy's singing skills? Well, she's got the most beautiful voice I"ve ever heard. She can hit the high notes perfectly, but at the same time, go lower than some male singers can go, and still make it sound like 1,000,000 bucks. Amy is defenetly a singer that many people strive to be. // 10

Overall Impression: This, by far, is my favorite CD. I don't think it could ever compare with any other artist. Although they do sound some what like other bands, they have a totally different sounds than any other band I've ever heard. The most impressive songs on this album are probably "Hello," "Bring Me To Life," and "Haunted." They show just how powerful Amy's voice really is. The thing I love most about it is the fact that no singer can compare to the skills that Amy Lee has. I mean, there are better, and there are worse, but her voice fits the music perfectly. Honestly, there isn't anything that I hate about this album. It's all amazing. Now, for the million dollar question, if it were stolen or lost, I would defenetly go and buy another copy. Seriously, I mean I can't go more than 4 days without listnening to it. // 10

Fallen Reviewed by: unregistered, on january 09, 2006

Sound: I think Evanescence are an amazingly clever Gothic band. This album really is a masterpiece with its hard gothic-sounding metal mixed in with sort of gothic-sounding choir/classical together as a fusion. With dead talented guitarists and drummer, the vocals of Amy Lee really add a great mixture of density to the genre. The sound is perfect for gothic music lovers and any other people alike. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are not grim exactly but have a very dark feel to them mainly in songs like Tourniquet, Bring Me To Life, and Going Under. They change a bit in songs like Everybody's Fool and Imaginary, and the ballads like Hello and My Immortal, in a sense are tear-jerkers. Not that I cried or anything! But I love this genre that the music and lyrics come across as. // 10

Overall Impression: I bascially think that the talent could not have been better in this album. Amy Lee has an amazing singing voice put together with great metal riffs and inspired drumming. What more could you want? Definitely buy this album if you are either a lover of metal or gothic stuff. And if I may say, Amy Lee isn't half good-looking either! // 10

Fallen Reviewed by: UG Team, on july 18, 2003

Overall Impression: I've recently purchased Evanescence's debut album and I think it ROCKS!! Amy Lee has a powerful voice that can move mountains...but then again she can sing a little baby to sleep. Her voice range is incredible. Ben Moody guitar licks are unbelievable. He is now one of my influences for learning to play guitar. I strongly recommend this to anyone who likes to rock out and stay calm a little all in one album. Check out this CD and the latest tabs if you're interested // 8

Fallen Reviewed by: UG Team, on july 18, 2003

Sound: As with all music, some things get a little tedious and some musical formulas tend to get run into the ground. This CD teeters on the edge of over done and still makes it possible to enjoy it. That cant be said about many groups in this current muddy musical mayhem. That was the single factor that made me spend my money. The music is very well crafted and recorded. The musical pattern relays a tad to much on the E based 'crunch and stop' for my taste, but hey, Its my review and overall I am pleased. // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics are tastefully dark and are delivered to us full of care and emotion. // 8

Overall Impression: First Impression I am a slave to honesty so let's just be open with each other. The first thing to catch my ear was the female voice. Driving to work one morning, I tuned into my local DJ saying that he was about to play a new song from the Daredevil Soundtrack. I almost changed the channel, being one who runs from propaganda and sell-ability through image, i.e. boy bands and the Spears-esk females on the market. So, I keep my car stereo at a respectable 3 as I journey. Keeping the noise of the street out of my head as I wander aimlessly onward through the routine of morning travel. The song Bring me to life began to play and immediately I begin dissecting it. The piano opener is such a beautiful touch, dark and reminiscent with a noticeable layer of unrest. Then she begins, an angelic presence and masterful delivery of poetic stanza. Oh, Yeah, this one is great, full on grooves progress with a punching metal power of the old school legends, angst ridden power balanced by the soft overlay of blissful harmony and direction. Nice breaks with added depth and return to the devilishly poisonous refrain. I am rocking now. I took out my notebook and jotted the name down and added my notes on the band as I raced to work to download it. Mhmm, don't act like I'm the only one. The Download So I get a copy of the song and begin to listen again. I take myself out of the moment of hearing it the first time and treat it as real estate. That is what its all about. I am about to spend money on this and it must be inspected to the finest hair, because investments make legends in the music business. As I listen to the tainted mp3, I hear more than I did in my car. More and more and moreyes. It is time to see what else this band has to offer. I fire up my P2P and begin a feverish search for something, anything, Evanescence. Ah, I found one. My Immortal Imagine being laid out on a bed of satin and a beautiful woman begins telling you everything she ever felt about you. The love, the longing, yearning, and tells you that she has died for you a million times just to be next to you, supporting you. Yes, feels lovely doesn't it? Track four on the CD, worth the purchase I think? Is this talent? Time to get some feed back and a CD. The Purchase I will continue my deepest honesty and admit to you that most music of this time doesn't make it to the purchase. But I must remain honest to those who work hard to create this medium and keep it floating. I still stand firm on the fact that if the music companies would release good music, we would buy. Release a CD with one good song and you have a downloading issue. Give us the whole thing and make it quality from cover to cover Now, where was I? Yeah, ok, the purchase. So I make it to the local music store and blend in with the elements of the crowds gathered at the listening posts. I sneak over and press the play button on the Evanescence CD, Fallen. Heads turn at the shear volume that I have raked over their skulls. After the apologies and pardons, I began to listen deeply again. Selecting an even random number, 8. Taking over me. Ok now we have a Disturbed style delivery of guitar riffs but something takes the edge off. Yup, that female voice and Linkin Park production. 'Not bad', I think as I listen more and feel into my pockets for some cash. About 2 minutes into my listening I decided to make my way through the crowd gathered near me and leave.CD in hand of course! You made it to purchase. My hard earned bucks lay faithfully in the music business again. Comfortably this time. My Final V? Buy it. It is worth every penny. Then place it into the CD player of your car with gentle gloves and BLOW the ass off of the adjacent cars with track 3. because metal isn't dead, it is evolving into a mixture of class and concrete musicianship. Taking time to execute the finer touches of music making and becoming a much-needed entity due to the media cloud of pop music. Through that cloud comes a deviant specter of illuminating Evanescence. // 8

Fallen Reviewed by: UG Team, on august 20, 2003

Overall Impression: Evanescence's new album Fallen is the best. Amy Lee's voice will blow you away... she can sing anything you give her. The album starts out with "Going Under" a great opening song witch gives you an idea about the sounds of the other tracks. Next is the hit single "Bring Me to Life" witch will absolutely blow you away! This song feastures Paul McCoy of the group 12 Stones. The whole album is not all rock..."My Immortal" and "Hello" are slow songs. Amy sings so beautifuly and heartfelt on these songs. One of my favorites, "My Last Breath" is very energetic and a great rock song like most of the album. There are 11 fantastic tracks on this CD called "Fallen" by Evanescence. You will absolutely love it! // 10

Fallen Reviewed by: DemonRiffs, on december 16, 2003

Sound: Absolutely outstanding. A true masterpiece. I can not say enough good things about this CD. The majority the CD is a combination of some heavy guitar work from and co-founder Ben Moody, tight rhythm from John LeCompt and Rocky Gray; balanced with Amy's piano and powerful voice. Many of the songs start with a programmed NIN feel, then kick into incredible hooks and choruses. There is not one throwaway song of the eleven tracks. The songs Tourniquet, Imaginary and Taking Over Me are some great examples of this. Buy this CD! // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are delivered by the sassy Amy Lee, and what u fukin' great job of it she does. Don't expect to hear deep throat vocals on this album, she sings softly to contrast well with the heavy guitar riffs. // 10

Overall Impression: If you hadn't guessed yet, I cant get enough of this album. EXCELLENT! // 10

Fallen Reviewed by: kryptonite22, on december 17, 2003

Sound: The neo-gothic background effects and the inclusion of choir and strings on many of the tracks couple with Amy's beautiful voice to create the most chilling atmosphere imaginable on this, Evanescence's major label debut. A lot of people will label this as commercial pop-metal, but it's so much more than that. The description of haunting guitar solos mixed with powerful riffs just doesn't do it justice. There is no way in the world, for example, you could seriously compare much of this album with, say, Limp Bizkit. It's thoughtful and well-structured, every lyric sticking in the mind and every beat pounding from your stereo. I've heard many descriptions of their sound, ranging from nu-metal to metal, from grunge to pop. And yes, it's all of these, but at the same time, none. The female voice is what sets it apart, the fact that the songs mean something is also very refreshing and, although not uniquee, it's all beautifully written. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are what first drew me to Evanescence. Apart feom the catchy, yet powerful guitar riffs, the lyrics are what helps Amy Lee's wandering voice to sound so good. It keeps being said that theyre a Christian band. This IS NOT true. Ben, who I believe has now left the band, is a strong Christian, but Amy isn't. The lyrics are about personal struggles, love and death. Amy is one of the most underrated lyricists of the modern age, and this album really shows how good these lyrics can match her voice. The lyrics are in no way simple, nor do they rhyme. They are easily-related to, yet complex and mature. // 10

Overall Impression: Like millions of other people, I was one of those who first heard of Evanescence on the opening night of the "Daredevil" movie. I walked out of the cinema and all I could really remember from the film was that clip with Elektra using the daggers on the sanbags, with this song played to great effect over the top - one of the defining moments of the film. Now, I'm not usually into stuff like this, this is my second choice form of music, if you will, but since then, I downloaded the song and a couple of others, then got the album imported from America. I was amazed at the quality. Even after the extensive radio playing of "Bring Me To Life", I can never grow tired of that song. Other faves are "Going Under", "Haunted", "Tourniquet", "My Immortal" (proving that they can be quiet as well as loud...this song was also featured in "Daredevil") and "Whisper", but every track has strong listening appeal. I would definitely recommend this album to anyone. Sadly, I know people who don't usually like rock who have this album, which again puts forward the "sellout" case. Frankly, I don't care though. It rocks, and that's all you need to know. // 10

Fallen Reviewed by: Whstripesrox, on may 20, 2004

Sound: The sound for this album is not new. A couple of power chords here, some crazy lyrics there, and you have the Evanescence album.The sound for Fallen was just plain blah. All the songs had the same mood and often sounded the same. The only thing different from other crap is the way Evanescence has that classical crap. The piano adds something else to it but not much. The piano may be good in some cases but I thought it sounded so sappy on My Immortal. All I can say is boring. // 4

Lyrics: I hated the lyrics for this record. They are all exactly the same! All Amy Lee ever sings about is falling. I can about four songs on the album that talks about falling. Maybe on the next album she will branch out and talk about tripping. I do have to admit that the lyrics do compliment the song, but when you sing about the same things all the time it gets incredibly boring. // 4

Overall Impression: Do you really want to buy this album? Please say no because it's just a piece of crap. Don't be like me and the rest of the world who was sucked into buying it after hearing Bring Me to Life. The only okay songs on the whole album are Bring Me to Life, and Going Under. The album is not worth the $20 you would probaly spend on it. // 4

Fallen Reviewed by: Tremebundo, on june 01, 2004

Sound: Well ya know, Evanscence is everywhere you look now. But I really think Fallen sucks. The quality of production in the sound of the guitars, bass, drums and voice is Ok nut the music is just too monotonous and none of the songs are really good enough to be worth hearing for more the 1 minute. Its some kind of style beetwen Nu metal and dark/gothic metal but extremely boring. // 6

Lyrics: Of course Amy Lee can sing (no fu--ng doubt) and her voice goes well with the hard parts but its like they have said "Hey lets just do this original thing putting a female lyrical voice with heavy guitar and forget about the songs (except My Inmortal which is a 7 among the 4 and 5ives in the album)" The lyrics are not great but they do the work. // 4

Overall Impression: I think its just too overrated, its really boring and not worth the dollar I spent on it (some friend downloaded me the whole album). There is no impressive song on this album, but there is a good song called "My Inmortal". If someone stole this from me I will find him and laugh at his face because of the horrible piece of crap for that he lost his "Thiefe Time" on. // 4

Fallen Reviewed by: brutalpilot, on june 02, 2004

Sound: Amy Lee has an amazing voice. Ben Moody is very good on the guitar. with the exception of the bridge to "Bring Me to Life" the bass does not really stand out at all; it's mostly masked by the guitar. Overall, the drums are just above average, but they back up the guitars and vocals well and provide their own main contributions, such as in "Going Under." Transitions between the songs are awesome, especially between "Tourniquet" and "Imaginary." The orchestra used in the background was awesome as well, as was the choir that backs up Amy in several songs. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are my lowest-rated part of the album, mainly because of the impression that whoever wrote the lyrics was depressed at the time. There were, however, instances in several songs where Amy was basically calling out to God for help, but there were no songs that really followed up that by talking about how that call was answered. maybe that can be a focus of their next album. // 8

Overall Impression: Compared to other artists of today; Evanescence is clearly one of the better bands out. Half the bands out today all sound the same to me; and having a female singer as well as piano and orchestra puts them in a league of their own. Main complaint from the standpoint of a guitarist trying to play some of their songs is that they use some wierd tuning in some of their songs like "Going Under" and "Haunted." If someone were to steal my CD, there would be a serious whupping handed out. Overall, this is an awesome CD and was definately worth the $13.99 I paid for it. // 10

Fallen Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 28, 2004

Sound: You can hear everything being played. I don't think thats realy a plus tho. The music is a sort of gothic nu metal rubbish. It's hardly innovative, though im not sure if its trying to be. It's pretty basic sounding Drop D tunings and chords. // 4

Lyrics: Awful. The title of the album is a big enough reason to hate this but Falling, Turning Of The Lights, Closing Your Eyes and any other nu metal lyrical cleshe are used so many times you end up feeling like Closing Your Eyes and Falling (from a tall building) but Turning Off The Lights before you leave. Amy Lee sings in a contrast to the 'heavy' sound of the guitars and honestly its worse than the music. // 2

Overall Impression: This isnt my album I am reviewing thank the lord, I borrowed it from a friend when they said it was a 10 out of 10. I've never trusted that friend again. Please, no one buy this dont encorage them to make any more. // 2

Fallen Reviewed by: unregistered, on july 05, 2004

Sound: The sound is awesome on this album. some very sad moods and some very upbeat. I like Ben Moody's style and how it works well with Amy Lee's voice. // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics on this album were absolutely brilliant. Amy Lee's ability to write music is very good. her vocals are very haunting and can really get to you. this is an album where I really like all the songs on the disc which is very rare in my case. // 10

Overall Impression: It doesn't compare to other albums. when an Evanescense album comes on you can tell, if not by the opening riff then by when Amy Lee strikes her first note. I think Bring Me To Life, My Immortal, and Tourniquet are among the best songs on the album. I love the lyrics for Tourniquet, they show these are people who do have somewhat of a christian thinking but not totally gospel, which I like in a band. I honestly hate nothing on this album. If it was stolen or lost i would buy it again. // 10

Fallen Reviewed by: starbomb13, on july 12, 2004

Sound: The sound of the album is kinda mysterious and dark because of the soft, yet powerful piano with a lot of power chords on the guitars and the matching drum beats and occasional strings to go with the other instruments. Amy's singing, on the other hand, does seem very emotional and powerful, but honestly, the girl is straining the hell out of her voice.After a while, my ears start to feel strained as well, but she doeskinda have a good voice. // 10

Lyrics: I gotta say, the only things Amy's singing about are-"dying", lost loved ones, not being able to breath, going down and under and just basically falling, which is why I think the album name is perfect for these lyrics. Though the way she puts her feeling and thoughts into words are quite creative, one can only take so much of repetitive stuff. // 8

Overall Impression: The only reason I bought this album was because Evanescence is getting so much hype and attention-with those grammies and multi-platinum sales, I wanted to hear what they were all about. Listening to the album-the songs are not bad. I like their sound and all but I'm not really into Amy's singing voice-I mean, her voice doesn't suck, but after a point, it can get irritating. If the album got stolen or lost, I'd probably think about buying it again. Maybe. // 8

Fallen Reviewed by: unregistered, on july 19, 2004

Sound: The sound of it isn't that professional. They obviously focusing on the lyrics. It's not that hard to play, especially the guitar and piano. It's for a bedtime song (it's not that hard of a rock). // 6

Lyrics: Amy can write such a song that would make you think. It basicly about the same thing. It's about love and relationship. But it's more to the darker side. She's a great singer, too. In fact, she's one of the singers I admired. // 10

Overall Impression: My friends like this album. They asked me to burn them some. I really don't want to, you know, it's against me (I wanna respect the artist). Before I had the CD, one of my friends told me that she'll burn it for me. But I decided to go that afternoon and got it. Oh and the cover shows Amy's close-up that attracts most gothic out there. It's one of the top albums on my list. // 10

Fallen Reviewed by: unregistered, on august 24, 2004

Sound: I like the mix of sounds in this, there is a good range of instruments that give a fairly original sound. Amy Lees's voice is extremly good, it is powerful and about an octive higher than most of us can reach. (At least I speak for myself.) The guitar riffs are inovative and the piano adds a more soft addition to it. I do think that My Imortal is dull, repetitive and a bit of a let down. // 8

Lyrics: I find the lyrics are really all quite similar. They are well written but unoriginal, everysong is a different way of saying the same thing. I think that is really what draws alot of people to Evanescence, they are suitably dark. The reason they work is Amy Lee's voice which matches the music well and is completly unique. // 6

Overall Impression: I do like tihs album alot, but it isnt one of my favorites. It's repetitivness for me makes it lose the novelty it has. My favorite song is probably Going Under, my least favorite being My Imortal by far. I didn't actually buy this, I copied it off a friend. I don't listen to it much so I wouldnt spend another blanc cd on it if I where to lose it. // 6

Fallen Reviewed by: lofty162003, on july 15, 2005

Sound: OK, it seems that there are only two opinions about Evanescence, they're either excellent or terrible. Well I'm going to say that they are excellent. Some people have said that amy's piano playing is too simplistic, well yeah it is simple but it's bloody effective. I mean it doesn't need to be complicated to be good, I play the piano and even though its some of teh simplest stuff I know it is also some of teh best sounding. Also, just to enforce the fact that it doesn't have to be complicated to be good listen to Led Zeppelin's Tangerine off Led Zeppelin 3, that is one of their simplest songs and its also in my opinion one of their best. The guitar is pretty basic but that's good too and of course Amy Lee's vocals are excellent and the highlight of the album. // 8

Lyrics: All about the same thing are they? Well yes they are, but so what? They work really well with the music and are brought alive by Amy's vocal talent. The lyrics show that these songs have come from the heart and that a great deal of care has been put into them. // 10

Overall Impression: The most impressive songs on the album have to be Haunted, My Immortal, Hello and Imaginary. This is simply because it is on these tracks that Amy's voice shines through most. A song that really should be on this album but isn't is Breath No More, that is an absolute masterpiece and really should have been on this album. I think that most of the criticism surrounding Evanescence has been sue to the fact that they have got so much coverage, which makes them seem like sellouts. Oh yeah and they went on top of the pops, that's the record companies fault not the band. Also because people who would not normally listen to rock music listen to evanescence rock fans may think that they are too commercial. One last thing Everybodies Fool came on at a metal and rock night and the mosh pit was absolutly packed as soon as it came on! // 10

Fallen Reviewed by: AOF_Rules_24, on march 22, 2006

Sound: I really like the way the guitars make an eerie sound and Amy's voice makes it even more eerie. The bands sound definatly makes me think over teh words. I like the way the songs are all about some sort of thought from a feeling of being haunted to wanting to stare at the clounds. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics really bring out the sound of the songs. Without the lyrics the music would just sound like something you would hear for a fantasy movie soundtrack. Amy really knows how to sing and her lyrics would never hint that she is a catholic. // 10

Overall Impression: I like Alexisonfire much more but this band is up in my top 5 to listen to. The best song has to be Wisper, Just because the words and the music reminds me of a scared child's life. As I already said, I love how the words and music form a very eerie feeling. If my CD was stolen or lost I wouldnt buy it again because I have the songs on an mp3. // 8

Fallen Reviewed by: unregistered, on april 24, 2006

Sound: When I first heard Evanescence, it was back in 2000. After a death in my family I went looking for depressing songs on the internet and I came across 'My Immortal'. After that I was hooked on finding out more about this band, but living in Australia made it difficult to find anything about them. Then 2003 came and along with it, the debut album from that band that sings 'My Immortal'. That band? Evanescence! 'Bring Me To Life' just blew me away. It was unlike anything I'd ever heard, with crunching guitars, haunting piano, mournful strings and an angelic voice soaring over the top. Believe me, I was first in line to buy 'Fallen' when it came out. And it didn't disappoint me - heavy guitars, thick drums, bass that could actaully be heard, piano that make you cry, an orchestra to die for, a choir to make you think you're back in a 17th century abbess and vocals that will send shivers down your spine. // 10

Lyrics: Amy Lee's voice is absolutely amazing nad by far the best voice I have ever heard, and her lyrics don't disappoint. 01. Going Under - "Now I will tell you what I've done for you, fifty thousand tears I've cried..." A song about escaping from an abusive relationship; refusing to be broken by this man and promising to live again. A strong song, with a solid guitar riff and catchy chorus. The second single. 02. Bring Me To Life - "How can you see into my eyes like open doors..." About waking up and realising the lie that you have been living, and pleading to be saved from the life that you created but hate. The music for this song is very complex, with a simple guitar riff but intricate piano and string sections. The first single. 03. Everybody's Fool - "Without the mask where will you hide, can't find yourself lost in your lies..." About all the fakes in the world, people who hide behind facades and pretend to be something there not, just to make money; people who sell themselves or an image to make a profit. Starting with an acoustic intro, then breaking into a solid rock song, backed by a choir and piano. The fourth single. 04. My Immortal - "You used to captivate me by your resonating light, now I'm bound by the life you left behind..." Losing someone you love and begging their spirit to leave you alone. Amy Lee actually didn't write these lyrics, apart from the bridge. They were written by former guitarist Ben Moody, who prefers to write from inspiration rather than experience, but Amy makes this song her own with the passion she puts into every word she sings. A piano ballad with a soft string section, later pressings of the album also contain the 'band version', which was released as the band's third single, which has a piano build-up during the bridge to crash out with the band playing for the last 90 seconds of the song. 05. Haunted - "Long lost words whisper slowly to me, still can't find what keeps me here..." One of my favourite songs on the album, fans are led to believe Amy wrote the lyrics based off a short story. Personally, I think it's written about something else, but I won't go into detail about it. The music is amazing, with heavy drums, a slighty above average guitar solo (personally, I prefer Terry's live solo for this), thick choir and pounding bass, topped off by Amy's amazing vocals. 06. Tourniquet - "I lay dying and I'm pouring crimson regret and betrayal..." The only other song Amy didn't write all the lyrics to, this song was actually written by drummer Rocky Gray and performed by his band Soul Embraced. It was then re-written for 'Fallen' with Amy making most of the changes including adding lyrics and writing strings for it. It has a catchy riff and you can actually hear Amy do a death metal-esque scream towards the end. "I long to die!" 07. Imaginary - "In my field of paper flowers, and candy clouds of lullaby..." About escaping reality in to a dream world and praying to dreams to be come reality. Once again, heavy guitars backed up by pounding drums, heavenly choir, thick strings and angelic vocals. 08. Taking Over Me - "You don't remember me, but I remember you..." Lyrically, I think this is one of the best songs on the album. About loving someone that doesn't eve know you exist, the music is pretty simple with a simple guitar riff, typical rock drumming backed up by piano and strings. 09. Hello - "Has no one told you she's not breathing..." If you want hear Amy's voice at it's best, this is the song to listen to. If you want to cry, this is the song to listen to. Written about her deceased sister, Amy pours her heart and soul into every single word and note in this song, leaving you reaching for the Kleenex. It's by far one of my favourite Evanescence songs, with just Amy, a piano and a cello. If you manage to get ahold of the demo version of this track, you can actually hear Amy crying. 10. My Last Breath - "Holding my last breath, safe inside myself, are all my thoughts of you, sweet raptured light, it ends here tonight..." Probably the most underrated song, it's about dying in the arms of the person you love and being ready to leave this world, but they are not ready to lose you. I actually really love the melody for this track. 11. Whisper - "Catch me as I fall, say you're here and it's all over now..." Inspired by the 1996 version of Romeo & Juliet, this song is an Evanescence fan favourite, with amazing lyrics, a catchy guitar riff and a latin choir chant that makes you feel as if you are standing in the middle of a 16th century church in Rome. // 10

Overall Impression: All in all, this album is amazing and Amy Lee will blow you away with her heavenly, angelic vocals and the ability to make her vocals soar over the guitars, bass, piano, strings and choir. Evanescence is often compared to bands like Within Temptation, Nightwish and Lacuna Coil, but personally I don't see it. I am a fan of Within Temptation and they are two completely different bands. As for the other two, well I'm not a huge fan. My favourite songs from this album are 'Haunted' and 'Hello' followed closely by 'Bring Me To Life' and 'My Last Breath'. I already own two copies and if either were lost or stolen, then hell yes I would buy another copy! // 10

Fallen Reviewed by: unregistered, on february 21, 2011

Sound: I've had this record since the realease in 2003, it was back then and still is one of my favourite records. The sound of this record is to me so much more than all other female vocalist vs. metal bands, it feel genuine, raw, creative and yet with feelings. The electronic influences are just enough, not too much nor too little. The only weakness in the sound are to me the drums, they are a bit wussy and is what brings my rate down from 10 to 9. // 9

Lyrics: Amy Lee is one of our best female metal singers, she has a high steady level and has the ability to take you to places you've never been to. The quality of the lyrics are very high, knowing that most of them are based on real life experiences makes them even more powerful. They are dark and moody without being too much. I think the music suits the lyrics perfectly, it express every feeling that they are trying to explain in the lyrics. // 10

Overall Impression: As I see it, this record was what made this type of music available for the large mass, not saying that Evanescence was the first band doing this but they had that little extra who gave the music the mainstream face it needed. I love all the songs, Going Under being my favourite, except from My Immortal. I've always found it boring and not been able to relate to it. I think they could have chosen to put the later released Breathe No More instead of My Immortal or kept Hello as the only ballad. I have heard so many bands trying to repeat what Evanescence did on Fallen but no one has succeded in my ears. This is a once in a life time record that everyone should listen to! // 9

More Evanescence reviews rating latest review
+ Evanescence 8.4 11/04/2011