Origin Review

Styles: Alternative Pop/Rock; Chamber Pop
 9.2
 8.4
Origin Reviewed by: unregistered, on july 20, 2005

Sound: A little bit less advanced than Fallen but that is understandable. Overall the sound is pretty good. They have a couple of really nice ballads on here and the use of the rain sound is really effective. Very similar to the Fallen sound in the guitar aspect of it. I like the sound of the rain in Eternal and Listen To The Rain. There is a beautiful piano solo in Eternal as well. It is very simple, yet delicate and effective. I like the use of wordless tracks such as Origin, Eternal and Demise. Origin prepares you for what is to come and demise concludes it, while Eternal provides a wonderful instrumental to relax to. // 10

Lyrics: the great lyrics of Evanescence are ever present on this album, with Field Of Innocence, which is about not knowing who you have become and being different from how you were when you were a child, about it being harder when you grow up. Of course there is My Immortal and Imaginary and Whisper but if you want to know about them go and read a Fallen review. Anywhere is a beautiful ballad of love and the wonders of it, the beautiful feeling you get when somebody loves you and the feeling like you want to just run away with them. Of course there is the always present Evanescence style rock songs like Away From Me, about being afraid of what you have become. The whole message I get from these lyrics is about evolution and change. // 10

Overall Impression: Not as good as Fallen but a pretty damn good effort! My favourite songs are Eternal and My Immortal. I love the classic Evanescence sound and the piano solos on this album especially in Eternal. I didn't really like the part in lies where the guy sings. I would rather Amy sing the whole song rather than just the chorus and bridge. I think it is worth buying. // 10

Origin Reviewed by: dark_destiny, on january 09, 2006

Sound: The Origin album shows a younger Evansecence back in the days before they became mainstream. It is a more unique album than Fallen as each song has something different about it. My impression of the music on this album would have to be really good. It is a mix of great vocals, straightforward riffs and the trademark Gothic feel, choirs and all. There are some great acoustic ballads as well as an instrumental called Eternal that is quite a relaxing piece. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics on this album are mostly excellent and can be related to, Amy Lee's voice suits the feel and mood of the overall themes well. Some themes include love, others a more subdued feeling. The singing really compliments the music and lyrics as a whole, though on some songs there are male voices that give a darker more aggressive effect e.g. on the song Lies. // 10

Overall Impression: This album actually has a few songs that were remade for the Fallen album which include Whisper, Imaginary and My Immortal. Among my favourite songs are Where Will You Go, Even In Death and Anywhere which has a beautiful melodic guitar solo, but I like every song on the album. Compared to Fallen I can't really decide which is better but if you are a true Evanescence fan then this is a must get. // 10

More Evanescence reviews rating latest review
+ Evanescence 8.4 11/04/2011