The Open Door Review

evanescence: The Open Door
Release Date: Oct 3, 2006
Label: Wind-up
Genres: Post-Grunge, Goth Metal
It's a fascinating journey for the listener as she ventures into her own personal heart of darkness, her stricken, perfect voice suspended on an unsteady precipice between breakdown and breakthrough.
 Lyrics: 9.3
 8.1
 8.5
 7.7
The Open Door Reviewed by: Bristlehead, on october 21, 2006

Sound: This is definately a different-sounding Evanescence, period. Obvoiusly, the writing process was different this time around with Amy and Terry rather than Amy and Ben. Though I prefer the harder songs and heavier moments on the album, there seems to be too much of a softness on towards the middle of the album (especailly "Like You," my least favorite). Overall, the heavier parts are heavier, and the softer parts are softer. // 9

Lyrics: I do really like the lyrics this time around. Like the many interviews that have been posted around, it's really appearant that she's more liberated with the lyrics on this album. Most of them are pretty blunt, but not so blunt that it's disgusting to listen to. I think that Amy's found the perfect way to say what she wants to say and express what she wants to. Plus, she's an exceptional singer. // 10

Overall Impression: Most definately not only one of the most anticipated albums of the year, but surely one of the best. I love the heavy feel to it, and every chorus (save "Like You") is extremely catchy, without being obnoxious. Good music, that's what I like to call it. The only thing I can dislike about this album is that most of the songs are very light in the verse, and heavy in the chorus. It gets a little old, but overall, it can't be something to complain about. Worth the long wait? Maybe. You decide. // 10

The Open Door Reviewed by: EVANescence1500, on october 21, 2006

Sound: I am sure that all of you had one question in mind as soon as you heard of Ben Moody's departure, where does the band go from here? With the loss of Ben, the band lost a key songwriter as well as a key guitarist who helped define and shape their sound. With all of that said, it may have looked as though a Moody-free Evanescence would turn out to be nothing more than a flop, a one hit wonder if you will. Luckily for us, the departre of Moody caused the exact opposite effect. To say that the sound of Evanescence is different on their new album would be quite the understatement, the change in sound is so drastic that it is almost as if they are an entirely new band(which in this case is a good thing)One of the key factors that can be credited for this sound makeover is none other than Terry Balsamo, who brought his Cold-influenced guitar style to the band, creating a heavier, darker atmosphere, which serves as a perfect counter balance to Amy Lee's unrelenting high-pitched ensemble. Evanescence has always found a way to balance both darkness and beauty within their songs, however, the addittion of Terry helps to further exploit that contrast and use it to it's full potential. Another key element in the remaking process was the fact that on the new album, Amy experiments with her vocal style in ways that were entirely absent from Fallen. She fully embraces her lower register on this album, which helps to add an entirely different dimension to the music. This type of experimentation serves as evidence to show us that she has fully embraced herself as an artist and as such is not afraid to take risks, a quality that is truly admirable in my book. Another aspect that truly defines the sound of this album is the employment of many different musical styles with elements of both flamenco/egyptian style guitar(ie Weight of the World), as well as classical masterpieces with a modern twist(ie Lacrymosa) icorporated within the album. These additions help to broaden the listening experience and make it more pleasing to the ear. While you may think after reading this that the Evanescence of old is entirely absent from the new album, that is nowhere near the truth. While their sound and Amy's vocal style did change, the album itself has many of the key elements which made the band such a success to begin with. Amy Lee still delivers the signature Evanescence sound as only she can, finding the delicate balance between high powered yet elegant vocals. And if songs like My Immortal are more to your liking, the band delivers a generous helping of this in the form of Lithium, Like You, and Good Enough. So, in retrospect, the departure of Ben Moody looks as if it was a blessing in disguise for Evanescence, for not only did they come out with an album to rival that of Fallen, but one that could indeed surpass it. This album is a testament to the bands hardwork and dedication and their drive to overcome personal setbacks and adversity. It is a celebration of their independence and musical freedom, and the evidence of this can be heard throughout. // 10

Lyrics: What can be said about the lyrics? The lyrics themselves are what you might expect from Evanescence, covering such topics as personal demons, loss, tradgedy, and struggle, however it is evident that on this album, there is a level of self-acceptance and self-awareness that was not present on Fallen. There is a overall feeling of independence rather than helplessness which could no doubt be attributed to the departure of Moody, which left Amy free to further explore her own writing ability without boundary or limitation. This freedom translates to endless possibility and variation throughout the album. The songs themselves are so entirely different yet all somehow the same, held together by Lee's signature sound, making for quite the lyrical Tour de Force. As far as vocal ability goes, there is not a singer alive that has the vocal prowess to match that of Amy Lee. She has such a wide range of vocal ability as to appear almost inhuman. She has the elegance to deliver a heartfelt ballad, as well as to deliver hard-hitting, heavy rock n roll all within the same song, something that few artists today are capable of. And with the release of the new album, she can add another dimension to her already multi-dimensional vocal ability, the ability to use her lower register, a technique which she fully embraced with this album. // 10

Overall Impression: My overall impression is that it would not do the album justice to be put in a class along with it's predecessors, simply because it in a class entirely it's own. It is an album that truly surpasses both the likes of Fallen and Origin respectively, for none of these previous albums have as much dimension and depth as is present in The Open Door. It is nearly impossible to single out any of the songs on this album as the most impressive simply because each song is so unique and unlike any other on the album, however, if I were forced to choose favorites, I would have to go with Lithium, Weight of the World, Snow White Queen, and Sweet Sacrifice. There are so many things that I absolutely love about this album, from the change in sound, to the change in Amy's vocal style, to the overall growth of the band as a whole, both musically and personally, this album makes a loud and clear statement, which is that they have all grown both individually and collectively and that they are a band built for longevity and not just a one hit wonder or a passing fad. This album solidifies their place in rock n roll and proves to all skeptics that they truly belong there. If this album were stolen or lost, I would most defintely buy it again, in fact I am contemplating buying an extra copy in the event that that may actually occur. // 10

The Open Door Reviewed by: Xerothunder, on october 21, 2006

Sound: Evanescence has returned to the top of the charts with the release of a single, "Call Me When You're Sober". The CD, "The Open Door" is a confirmation that the nu-metal genre is, in fact, dying. While the traditional Evanescence sound is still present, the band sounds slightly more experimental, perhaps a direct result of all the personal issues the band has gone through since the unexpected success of their major label debut, "Fallen". 01. Sweet Sacrifice - a promising opening riff, leading into a vocals-driven song. Kind of stuck between an intro track and a full-out song. 02. Call Me When You're Sober - the first single from the CD, and an obvious choice. Vocals intro, catchy riffs, simple chorus. Shades of "Bring Me To Life". Classic Evanescence. 03. Weight Of The World - guitars sounds great on this track, getting to see the heavier side of the band. Great drumming in the last half of the song, as well as some interesting effects. 04. Lithium - piano song, slows down the pace nicely without losing the edge. Amy Lee really shows off her vocal talent on this song. 05. Cloud Nine - starting to see the experimental side of the band here. Starts out with creepy, yet catchy vocals, followed by a heavier guitar riff. Getting to hear some nice lead guitars, then thrown right into a true-to-form chorus. Interesting song. 06. Snow White - another experimental song intro. Song doesn't really build up to anything. Kind of a letdown song. 07. Lacrymosa - intro sound familiar? Didn't we just hear it? Doesn't really help that this song follows Snow White. Recovers with a nice solo about 2 1/2 minutes in. Great outro, like the breakdown. 08. Like You - Finally hearing some guitars in the song intros. Nice vocals in the second half, although I was kind of expecting a little more from this. 09. Lose Control - by now the start of every song is starting to sound the same. Get to hear some crunch in the guitars though. Outro stretched out beyond belief. 10. The Only One - pretty good song, one of my favourites. Nothing over the top, just a lot of emotion coming out of this one. Pretty good end to the song. 11. Your Star - piano start, Amy Lee doing her thing. We get the "My Immortal" feeling until the second verse shows up with guitars, and the song changes pace. Midway through the song, a little piano interlude, guitar fade in and suddenly we're going in yet another direction. A great breakdown about 3 minutes in. My favourite track on the disk. 12. All That I'm Living For - there's the guitar! Love the tone in the intro riff. I really think this song should have just been a straight-ahead rock song. The chorus is phenomenal, the Seether influence coming out. However, this should have been a lot faster and louder than it wound up being. Good song, but could have been great. 13. Good Enough - piano closing song, orchestra background, who doesn't love these songs? Really nice piano, I have a feeling this will be a popular tab. Overall this CD blew me away at the start. The single is obviously catchy, and after five songs I was really thinking this album was going to be phenomenal. It didn't quite reach that mark, and it had ups and downs. Each song had highs and lows, however in the overall scheme of things, it's a pretty good sound. Not quite the same as Fallen, but hey, it's a whole new band. A little more experimental, a little less pop-goth, but still sounds like them as well. // 8

Lyrics: Amy Lee. How else to describe her? You know it's her when she's singing. Powerful voice, and it fits over every instrument used on this disk. Her only problem is she's really only got the one style of singing. It kinda wears on you after a while. Give her credit for trying new things with it, such as her vocal intro in Cloud Nine. Her attempts at variety work well enough to not be wishing she'd just shut up. Her lyrics are well thought-out, and completely full of angst. Can you blame her? Look at what she's gone through since the release of Fallen. In a recent interview with Maxim, Amy Lee said, "I basically lock myself in a dark room and get all depressed. I love writing songs like that." Hey, whatever works for you, Amy. // 9

Overall Impression: Is it similar to Fallen? Yes. Is it different than Fallen? Well, yes. It's still Amy Lee, and it's still Evanescence. But at the same time, it doesn't sound like another repeat of the multi-platinum disk. It sounds like a new multi-platinum disk. I love her voice, and I could listen to her all day. Ex-Cold guitarist Terry Balsamo makes a nice addition to the band. Fans of the band will love it, however if you don't like her voice, there isn't a whole lot behind her to listen to. // 8

The Open Door Reviewed by: xCoilx, on september 05, 2007

Sound: Slightly similar to Fallen on some parts of the songs, yet in a completley different direction. The sound is relaxed a bit and has a more soft, calmer sound. The album shows more of Amys keyboarding skills especially in her passionate song, "Good Enough" which she wrote all on her own. You can't compare it to any other band not even thier old stuff. // 7

Lyrics: The lyrics are more heartfelt and understandable. She hides behind less metaphors and uses words to make us sit down and think. The way she sings her lyrics triggers whatever emotion she'd focucused on. She sings everyword like it it was her last, powerful and in full emotion. Not only does she hit low notes, she also shows a more operetic side of her without making it sound like Nightwish or Operitika. Every songs we can relate to. // 10

Overall Impression: You can't compare this to any other band and it doesn't even sound like Fallen or anyother projects theve done. The most impressive songs on the album are Sweet Sacrifice and The Only One. I love all the piano songs on it and the only downfall of this album is that there are more soft songs than chugging giutar ones. If it were ever lost, I would replace it in within a week. // 6

The Open Door Reviewed by: Enigmanus, on october 21, 2006

Sound: Evanescence's newest release, "The Open Door", provides a sound not necessarily different from the old Evanescence, but she still manages to keep it fresh and thank god for that. Amy Lee, Terry Balsamo, John Lecompt, and Rocky Gray are back again, and it's about time. The sound is fresh, original, and damn good. I know I'm probably being a little bias when I say this, but Evanescence has managed to move right backup into the number one spot of the greatest bands to ever play music. The Open Door has provided us with a style within a style; keeping the classic riffs we love oh so very much about them, and mixing it with something new, something different. The sound does get very eerie, very dark, and if modern culture has taught me anything, that's a good thing. The CD seems to mix a lot of classical styles in with the music. They've done that a lot before, but this time is does seem a lot more prominent than others. For example, the song Lacrymosa starts off with a very classical theme, and then manages to work in the Nu Metal sound without altering the feel of the song. It keeps the classical feel of the song, with a new, more modern twist. It is truly amazing, what they've done with it. // 10

Lyrics: As for the lyrics, they do tend to be slightly simplistic at times, but who said that was a bad thing? Sometimes the most complex result comes from the simplest equation. And as the CD progresses, it really provides a very large variety as far as themes go. Evanescence's lyrics have always been very complex, sometimes having more than one meaning or purpose, seeing past the sometimes heartbreaking theme, to something even more meaningful, even more symbolic. For example, "Call Me When You're Sober" is a telling of the classic fairy tale "Little Red Riding Hood," represented by the modern tale of "The Wife-Neglecting Booze-Hound". "The Open Door" has kept that door open, and the flow hasn't died down a bit. However, this does propose a problem. A lot of the lyrics, not seeing towards the symbolism made, can seem rather repetitive, with the same theme occurring more than once. Nay-Sayers will neglect to see past this, and I fear the band will be judged solely on this aspect by many people. As far as vocals go, Amy Lee doesn't slack. Again, giving an amazing performance, as always, she's now stretching out to octaves I hadn't even known she could reach. The variety in her voice is so much more in this album, reaching high, low, and everything in between. And damn, she can definitely carry a note. // 9

Overall Impression: Overall, "The Open Door" is phenomenal. The band has come a long way since "Fallen", and even more so, since the times of "Origin" and "Not For your Ears," these 13 new tracks give into a new perspective to the group, and have still managed to maintain what they stood for in the beginning. Stick with the old, and bring in some new. And, I believe, I do believe, "The Open Door" has surpassed "Origin" (which was their highest ranked CD so far, in a biased opinion) as the best Evanescence CD out there. Congrats, Evanescence, you freaking rock. // 10

The Open Door Reviewed by: nightmare10999, on october 26, 2006

Sound: Right off the bat, you absolutely know that this is Evanescence. The opening track, Sweet Sacrifice, and indeed most of the album, stays true to Evanescence's love of heavy guitar riffs, awesome effects, and a little piano added to sweeten the deal. However, the sound on this album was not as polished as on Fallen, which kinda sucks (it's the only reason I didn't give it a ten). // 8

Lyrics: Taking a turn from Fallen, Amy seems to have grown as a singer, and it shows it her lyrics. The dark subjects she sang about on previous albums make return appearances on The Open Door, though they are much more mature this time around. She definately made good use of the eerie voice she used on Fallen's Haunted in tracks such as Cloud Nine and Snow White Queen. Amy Lee is definately what makes this band tick, without her excellent voice, they wouldn't be half as good. // 8

Overall Impression: Overall, this is a solid album. Though not all of songs are gold like they were on Fallen, to me, this is definately one of the best albums of the year. If your not a big fan or didn't like their previous works, you should probably pass on this but this is a definate must buy if you're an Evanescence fan like me. // 8

The Open Door Reviewed by: unregistered, on may 17, 2007

Sound: I was honestly a bit unstaisfied with this album. I didn't want a new 'Fallen' but I did wanted a lot of creativity again. It is soemthing that the album misses. The album tends to sound the same. Fallen had a lot of variety though even though the sound itself was quite the same. Something 'The open door' doesn't have. Amy Lee's voice is still a big plus. // 5

Lyrics: I never dislike the lyrics of Evanescence. Amy Lee's writing has a depth and soberness that I love a lot. She makes you think about what she writes and you feel her emotions throughout the music. She has a wonderfull voice and she shows this again on this album. She carries you away and still leaves a longing for more. She has one of the best female voices in the world if you ask me. // 9

Overall Impression: I was disappointed when listening to this. Songs like 'Lithium', 'Call me when you're sober' and the use of Mozart's Lacrimosa in 'Lacrymosa' was worth listening to it. I had a lot of hopes up for this album but I did not get what I wanted. Evanescence has a lot of potential but if Ben was indeed the one that made 'Fallen' to what is. They need some thinking to do. // 4

More Evanescence reviews rating latest review
+ Evanescence 8.4 11/04/2011