Hot Damn! Review

artist: every time i die date: 04/14/2004 category: compact discs
every time i die: Hot Damn!
Released: Jul 1, 2003
Genre: Rock
 Lyrics: 9.3
 9.2
 9.5
 8.9
Hot Damn! Reviewed by: jamesyboyy, on february 24, 2004

Sound: Listening to this album is like being choked for 27 minutes. As soon as you switch on the CD you get a scream and a tuneless riff and it just carries on from there. This is primarily a hardcore album with a slight lean towards thrash but there is a deffinate feel of rock n' roll attitude. Songs like "I been gone a long time" with it's bluesy outro and fucking rock intro show the diversity of this band, and that's a difficult thing to do in less than half an hour. The guitars are very distorted and very loud and the vocals scream from somewhere underneath. It's great. // 10

Lyrics: I love both the lyrics and the vocals on this album. Ebolorama is a perfect example of typical ETID lyrics. A song about deborched teenage sex and drinking but they don't suck. A common lyrical technique is to take a cliched phrase and mould it. e.g. "When in Rome we will do as the Romans. When in Hell we'll do shots at the bar.", " Every time I die have a complete pussy for a singer and that's what makes it so good. When you have instruments that are so heavy and loud the singer has to try his hardest to compete, and a guy with a pussy voice has to try that much harder. // 10

Overall Impression: This is a great hardcore album. It's very agressive, noisy and fast. Perhaps a little diversity in the guitar would have been nice. Most of the riffs seem to be open palm mute then a dischord but it sounds creepy which I like. It's the kind of music that a chainsaw murderer would play at his birthday party. The album itself is the perfect length, though it's only 27 minutes long it certainly doesn't feel like another throw away half an hour hardcore/punk album, it keeps you interested and breathless. If you want some good ol' fucked up music then get this album cuz it's great. // 8

Hot Damn! Reviewed by: unregistered, on february 26, 2004

Sound: The musical styles of this band are simply amazing. True, they do sit in the 'hardcore' genre, but their music samples from so many other different genres. You can hear metal, thrash, punk, rock n' roll, blues. They easily go from fast, hardcore dancing, head banging metal to slow, heavy, haunting melody. Compare, for insance, "Floater" to "In the Event Everything Should Go Terribly Wrong." // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics of the album uphold the high standard of ETID writing. These guys come up with the greatest lyrics ever. I know people who don't appreciate hardcore music, but will admit to finding ETID's lyrics 'bad ass.' Kieth Buckley is, simply put, the man. Not only does he put on a good show (as can be seen in the Hellfest 2002 DVD), but he combines his ability to sing well (for a hardcore band) with his ability to scream his friggin' head off. // 10

Overall Impression: I feel that their first Album, "Last Night in Town" made a greater impact on me. Songs like "California, Gracefully", and "Punch-Drunk-Punk-Rock Romance" with their technical guitar intros caught my attention originally. The impression that I got from their first album is what set them apart from other hardcore bands for me. I like the more Rockish sound that they had on "Hot Damn!" though. It moved away from the staple hardcore to a more dangerous, more raw sound. Both albums are 100% worth buying. They're great to drive on the freeway to. Heheh. // 10

Hot Damn! Reviewed by: unregistered, on april 14, 2004

Sound: Every Time I Die's guitarists kick ass on this heavy riff-filled album. A very Fimiliar Hardcore Metal sound to the album. But the singers unique style makes up for the lake of creativity from the band. Although the riffs are good. And the drummer keeps time like a madman to this fastpaced rock. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics to this album are fu*king hilarious and very cynical, but good none the less. // 8

Overall Impression: This album is great for the Hardcore lovers out there. Worth the money and definitely a new sound of Hardcore. KEY SONGS: "Ebolorama" and "I Been Gone A Long Time". // 10

More Every Time I Die reviews rating latest review