Last Night In Town Review

every time i die: Last Night In Town
Release Date: Aug 14, 2001
Label: Ferret
Genres: Alternative Metal, Post-Grunge
This album is a cathartic, chaotic release, finding Every Time I Die careening from metalcore crunch to exhausting screamo and even meandering into slightly emotional melodic singing akin to the highly touted Glassjaw.
 9.9
review (1) 3 comments vote for this album:
Last Night In Town Reviewed by: unregistered, on january 25, 2006

Sound: For those of you that have only heard Hot Damn and/or Gutter Phenomenon, listening to this, to sum it up you'll be punched in the throat and kicked in the balls. This album, has hardass written all over it. From their first album, "The Burial Plot Bidding War," to this one is a very smooth transition, for their first album, even though the vocals sounded alot different and the sound wasnt the best quality, sounds much like this one only this one is much more "cleaned up" if you could say. For those that havent ever heard ETID, this album is very heavy, compared to other stuff out there. It also contains some mathy riffs, like in 'Enter Without Knocking And Notify The Police' and 'Logic Of Crocidles'. There is rarley any singing, but when there is, it gives off a creepy feeling the way Keith harmonizes with the rest of the sound, much like from their first album on the song, 'Your Touch Verses Death'. Overall, it's very raw hardcore, and it's very good. // 10

Lyrics: First off, the singer Keith Buckley, is a lyrical genius. And better, he has stayed true to that standard, and at times exceeded it. There is no exeption here, and in my opinion having read/heard all the lyrics w/ the exeption of 'Hot Damn' (the only ETID I don't own, but I have heard several songs off of it), I believe these are his best. From songs about taping a girls death, to describing a corprate buisness owner, Keith owns. He is my all time favorite lyricsist. His vocals are a bit different then all the other albums. In Hot damn, and gutter phenomenon, he has more of a raspy yell/scream along with several instences of straight out speaking and singing. In the first album, his voice is very low, distgruntled, and he puts distortion on his mic, so it sounds like hes drowning. This CD is kinda a mixture of the two. While he has the yell/scream thing going on, he has many parts were he just wails his head off, and even times were he goes into a low voice. Cool stuff. // 10

Overall Impression: This CD, along with 'The Burial Plot...' are very unique. I haven't heard much like it thus far, and I can say maybe the closest band to sound like this album, is maybe old norma jean. It's crazy, it's heavy, and it's fun. Go out and by it. And a warning to all who haven't heard anything before 'Hot Damn', wear a cup and a throat guard. // 10

More Every Time I Die reviews rating latest review