The Big Dirty Review

every time i die: The Big Dirty
Release Date: Sept 4, 2007
Label: Ferret Music
Genres: Metalcore
Every Time I Die's latest album offers up all the humor and miraculous riff work that fans might hope from the Buffalo natives.
 Lyrics: 9.5
 8.7
 8.9
 8.5
The Big Dirty Reviewed by: UG Team, on september 04, 2007

Sound: If there's something that Every Time I Die can guarantee, it's good old fashioned entertainment. If you've seen the band's now classic video The New Black, then you know that humor is something that abounds in Buffalo quartet. The band has injected a much-needed dose of wit into the metal world, and not surprisingly, there has been a large audience that has latched ETID in return. The latest album The Big Dirty continues in the tradition of tongue-in-cheek lyrics, and even more importantly, still dishes out some of the most memorable, grooving, and bluesy riffs today. To top if tall off, there hasn't been an album title in a while that has combined just the right amount of cheesiness and sleaze that The Big Dirty embodies. The band doesn't worry so much about catchy hooks or recreating The New Black in the opening track No Son Of Mine. It's obvious the band still wants to assure fans it can still deliver a gritty, angry metalcore track. No Son Of Mine is one of the most aggressive tracks on the album and is centered around vocalist Keith Buckley's roaring vocals and a repeating, basic guitar riff. It's the vitriolic lyrics revolving around a less-than-perfect father (the phrase deadbeat dad is thrown around) that gives the track it's punch and ETID saves the truly infectious hooks for later songs. Although a few follow-up tracks like Pigs Is Pigs and Leatherneck don't really do guitarists Jordan Buckley and Andy Williams justice, it doesn't take too much longer for the infectious hooks to be whipped out. We'rewolf (even the titles' spellings have a little bit of extra thought put into them) allows ETID to truly show what it's got. With a cowbell to get things started and a dark, almost Danzig-like guitar on the chorus, We'rewolf is the first track to truly impress. The end also features Guitar Hero-worthy riff work that puts it up there with The New Black. Buckley's vocals do gravitate toward a grittier style on The Big Dirty, which although appropriate for metalcore, doesn't really show all of his talent. Rendez-Voodoo features some of his strongest work because he not only has to take on several melodic, traditionally sung sections (with harmonies on top of it all), he also has to bounce back to screaming sections. There are moments when the instruments are stripped down -- at times even just featuring a bass and drum beat --- and Buckley's vocals must take on most of the work. Not surprisingly, Buckley easily accomplishes making Rendez-Voodoo a solid track. // 8

Lyrics: Every Time I Die probably has lured as many fans for its lyrics as its music, and the latest album won't disappoint either group. You would be hard-pressed to name even one song that doesn't include either an extremely memorable line or some sort of lyrical nuance that induces a smile. Pigs Is Pigs has one of the most memorable, stalker-inspired lines when Buckley sings, You know I'm not good at court-ordered good-byes. Then you've got We'rewolf, in which he declares, I've gotten bitten by the party animal and the more introspective You don't live until you're ready to die. And if you're not convinced, The Big Dirty even features Buckley spewing out some over-the-top, religious lyrics -- spoken and not sung, of course. // 10

Overall Impression: In the advance copy we received there was only the audio CD, but the store release will also feature a 45-minute DVD featuring behind the scenes footage from the road as well as from the studio. The band's MySpace site mentioned the bonus DVD is titled "The Dudes and Don'ts of Recording, so that alone would seem to make it worthwhile. It's easy to see why fans have gravitated towards Every Time I Die. There is an extremely likeable, egoless quality that comes across in it's music. Humor can take a band only so far, and luckily ETIE has something a little extra, in particular musical talent. In a world with some great guitarists, Jordan Buckley and Andy Williams have a knack for creating the kind of hooks that draw you in. Tracks like Depressionista don't utilize that talent and it's hard not to be disappointed. Of course, just when you think that might be a trend on The Big Dirty, you get killer songs like Buffalo Gals or We'rewolf, which once again make you a believer. // 9

The Big Dirty Reviewed by: bw129, on september 04, 2007

Sound: In the constantly colliding worlds of emo and hardcore, the overwhelming number of acts has been forcing even established bands to change in order to stay on top. My Chemical Romance launched a rock opera with "The Black Parade," and even Avenged Sevenfold is promising a "different sound, something no one expects" on their upcoming LP. Given this atmosphere, it may come as a surprise that Every Time I Die chose not to deviate from their established sound with "The Big Dirty." But why should they, when what they have works so well? ETID's dueling guitars are as dirty as the album's title suggests, grinding and chugging throughout. There are plenty of memorable riffs and some nice harmonizing, as showcased in the fourth track, We'rewolf. Stylistic flairs aren't at the expense of the classic ETID breakdowns, though, so longtime fans shouldn't have anything to be disappointed about. In short, the sound is ETID through and through. // 7

Lyrics: It's somewhat of a shame that vocalist Keith Buckley's delivery often makes it hard to discern a lot of his lyrics, because they're creative, entertaining and even insightful at times. As far as the content, it generally tends toward ETID's usual fare- women, partying, rocking, and kicking ass. The lyrics are a perfect accompaniment to the guitars, and the combination could get even a tranquilized elephant up and moving. Buckley peppers his usual memorable one-liners throughout, wailing "Til death do we rock/We're so full of shit" on Depressionista; "We drank ourselves under the covers" on Inrihab; "You know I'm no good at court-ordered goodbyes" on Pigs is Pigs; "I gave the world one hell of a tummy ache" on We'rewolf; "a pox on your house of cards" on Rebel Without Applause. In addition to the content, the lyrics are delivered as only Buckley can, alternating easily between screaming, speaking and chanting. No new tricks in this department, but no complaints either. Astute Alexisonfire fans will also welcome Dallas Green's guest vocals on Inrihab. // 8

Overall Impression: "The Big Dirty" doesn't offer much in the way of surprises, but it is by no means a disappointment. The songs are cohesive and the album flows effortlessly. Most of the songs chug along at similar tempos, so a little variation would have been a welcome change. However, slowing down seems to run against ETID's philosophy of nonstop rock. There's nothing wrong with this, as it is what they do best. The album is refreshingly devoid of poor songs, and favorites would be hard to discern. "The Big Dirty" is consistently solid, though Rebel Without Applause, We'rewolf, and the hilarious story of No Son of Mine do stand out among the pack. With the exception of Rendez-Voodoo, most of the songs have a similar sound, and they often walk a fine line between flowing well and running together. The album's major shortcoming, though, is it's length. Twelve tracks are packed into a mere 36 minutes, but this isn't much of a deviation from other ETID albums. The only advantage to it's (lack of) length is that it makes the album an amusing unit of measurement; the round trip to my recent doctor's appointment was almost exactly 2 Big Dirties. By contrast, Google Maps estimates my upcoming road trip to North Carolina to be about 11.5 Big Dirties. Yikes. "The Big Dirty" is the logical continuation of ETID's career; distinct enough to exist on it's own, but recognizable as their work. The band doesn't force unnecessary experimentation and the music sounds very natural and organic for it's style. ETID keeps it refreshingly gimmick-free and packs "The Big Dirty" with what their fans will undoubtedly want to hear. It seems the band is simply here to rock and roll, and "The Big Dirty" definitely rocks. // 8

The Big Dirty Reviewed by: unregistered, on october 04, 2007

Sound: Every genre has it's pinnacle artist. Every Time I Die is just that for metalcore. Their progression between albums is ambitious beyond skeptiscism, initailly sounding like mildly organized chaos on "Last Night in Town" to the more listener friendly assault of 2003's masterpiece "Hot Damn." Picking up where they left on '05's "Gutter Phenomenon" ETID wear their Rock 'n' Roll influence proudly with this years "The Big Dirty." At this point they've created something unique and original that you will not find anywhere else. We're hearing the same seizure inducing riffs and head-crushing breakdowns but this time a round with a bit more swing and dare I say, groove? // 8

Lyrics: Keith Buckley is a lyrical mastermind. His sarcastic snarl is up to par as usual as he bellows "Who taught you those words? Don't ever say rock and roll!" in No Son of Mine. It's been noted that Keith is not around for the writing which doesn't come as much of a surprise given the random and frantic tendencies of his vocals. How does one write words to seemingly unstructured music? Simple, scream your head off about anything and everything. Even in his darkest passages you can't help but laugh equally at his brilliance and with. "Hang 'em high and let 'em sing" in Pigs is Pigs is absolutely chill inducing. How he manages to continue to top himself is a mystery but one that I'm happy to accept. No shortage of one-liners here. // 10

Overall Impression: This is a fantastic rock band. Not an easy first time listen no matter what album you're playing but give it time and it all begins to make sense. Comparing this to their early work is both irrelevant and impossible. They continue to make great songs with an anger and bite you'd be hard pressed to find anywhere else. Bravo! // 9

The Big Dirty Reviewed by: uninsane_guitar, on april 27, 2011

Sound: Every Time I Die is incredible, just getting that out of the way. I first heard of these guys when I bought the album The Big Dirty because the cover looked cool and it was in the Metal section. What I heard when opening track No Son of Mine's discordant guitars came in full blast was metalcore in the style of some of the innovators of the genre like Poison the Well, Botch, He Is Legend, and even a little Converge. By the time I had heard the album in its entirety, ETID had just served me a smorgasboard of heavy rock and metal styles that covered everything hard music has had to offer us throughout the years. While some elitists might say that metalcore is not innovative, I think Every Time I Die is a standout among a lot of mediocre and mundane bands. Their ability to bring in elements of southern rock into their style of metalcore is especially refreshing and fun to listen to. Fans of 90's guitar rock would love to latch on to such riff-intensive songs like INRIhab, Rendez-voodoo, and We'rewolf, and fans of more abrasive and heavy songs would love songs like No Son of Mine, Pigs is Pigs, and Imitation Is the Most Sincerest Form of Battery. This is one of my favorite albums for sure. // 10

Lyrics: Keith Buckley is an interesting vocalist and an even more interesting lyricist. He has collaborated with Joe and Andy from Fall Out Boy and Scott Ian of Anthrax to make the supergroup The Damned Things (Who are damned good I must say). His ability to make his voice go from all out throat shredding screams to a Hetfield-esque gritty, gravely barking vocal style to his unique style of singing is impressive. He really shines at using all three of these voices in the songs We'rewolf, INRIhab, and Rendez-voodoo. Lyrically, Buckley covers a variety of topics, from the proverbial "sell your soul to the devil," the "there shall be no rock n roll in this household" father, being "bitten by the party animal," to an angry artist wanting to destroy rather than "create what is meaningless." The lyrics really coincide with the music being played. No Son of Mine and Pigs Is Pigs are the first two tracks and are intensely heavy, and the lyrics are vicious and angry. "Deadbeat godfather...keep your voices down I'm sneaking out!...Keep your f--king hands off the insight" sound like the rantings of an angry teenager. There are plenty of memorable lines throughout this album a few examples being "Look away it's too much to bear/I've been bitten by the party animal!", "We hummed along to electric guitars and the standard woah oh oh ohhs," "I tied the devil to the tracks/Can you hear the train comin'?" and "And it is better to destroy than to create what is meaningless/So the picture will not be finished!" Keith Buckley isn't alone in vocal duties on this album. Dallas Green from alexisonfire contributes his voice to the song INRIhab. Overall, Keith's lyrics can go from the angry and angsty to the silly and satirical. // 10

Overall Impression: Every Time I Die are, in my humble opinion, head and shoulders above their competition. While other "hardcore" bands rely on dance-pop beats, synths, and auto-tune, Every Time I Die are simple raw, gritty, nasty guitar driven rock. Bands like them along with their peers in Dillinger Escape Plan, Converge, Poison the Well, The Chariot, alexisonfire, and Maylene and the Sons of Disaster provide a glimmer of hope for a hardcore genre being saturated with Hot Topic friendly mallcore. The most impressive songs on this album are No Son of Mine, We'rewolf, Cities and Years, INRIhab, and Imitation Is the Most Sincere Form of Battery. What I love about this album is the constant addicting, catchy riff after addicting catchy riff. Andy Williams and Jordan Buckley certainly have guitar chops and aren't afraid to flex them. Instead of playing 80's glam metal style indulgent solos, they stick to 90's grunge and alternative guitar rock style of riff after riff. The guitar work on the album is impressive because they show that you don't have to play 6,000 bpm and play 1,000,000 notes a song (ahem, Dragonforce) in order to make a great sounding album. What I hate about this album is that it only clocks in at just about 45 minutes and only has 12 songs. (But that's easily fixed by hitting repeat on your CD player or iPod, right?) If this album were stolen or lost, first of all thank God I recently put it on my phone so I still have a copy of it, second of all I will go to the ends of the Earth to find it and maim whoever stole it. I would replace it if my search failed. I highly recommend this album if you are a fan of Underoath, Poison the Well, Maylene and the Sons of Disaster, Botch, Converge, Vanna, The Sound of Animals Fighting, The Number 12 Looks Like You, The Damned Things, or alexisonfire. // 10

More Every Time I Die reviews rating latest review