Fabulous Disaster Review

exodus: Fabulous Disaster
Release Date: 1989
Label: Combat
Genres: Thrash, Speed Metal, Heavy Metal
After years struggling for recognition while watching their peers achieve fame and fortune, Bay Area mainstays Exodus had every reason to be dejected when they re-grouped in 1989 to record their third album Fabulous Disaster.
 9.2
 8.7
 9.7
review (1) 2 comments vote for this album:
Fabulous Disaster Reviewed by: (...), on august 27, 2007

Sound: I would have to say, that for its time "Fabulous Disaster" had a good production. The guitars have a nice bite to them, but each is distorted differently. This can be interesting, and sometimes annoying. The bass is a little buried in the mix. The only complaint I have with the drums is that I think the bass drum is slightly to quiet. If they made it a little louder, it would make the music more ferocious, and as we all know, Exodus writes aggressive music. This CD is no exception. The riffs are in your face, yet can seem a little generic at times. I think the best riff is in "Verbal Razors." Overall, this is pretty much standard thrash musically, nothing groundbreaking. It's still exciting however. // 8

Lyrics: Exodus seems to rhyme a lot of lines they write. This either turns out clever, or it turns out humorous and stupid. Clever: "...And forever after, You can hear the laughter, World's being plastered, By an evil bastard, Exterminating faster, Devastating plaster, Fabulous disaster." Humorous and stupid: "Get up on your feet, Don't look so obsolete, And thrash like an athelete!" The aggression and idea is there, but is penned poorly. However, I believe this makes Exodus unique, because you can't take them completely serious. Steve Souza, the singer, is defiantly not the best, but fits Exodus perfectly so I'm not going to dock points for this. When he sings, it almost sounds like talking, but he can carry somewhat of a melody. // 9

Overall Impression: Overall, I believe this album to not be as good as their debut "Bonded By Blood." I love how they included a cover of the song "Low Rider." It is not completely serious, yet is actually a great cover. They add some great fills and solos to the song. One of their most famous songs "Toxic Waltz" is included on this album. My personal favorite would have to be either the title track or "Verbal Razors." The track list is not immaculate however, and sometimes can be inconsistent. "Cajun Hell" is a low point to me. "Last Act of Defiance" is not the best opening to an album either. Overall, this is a good album, I recommend it to all extreme metal fans. // 9

More Exodus reviews rating latest review
+ Force Of Habit 7.4 02/05/2013