Shovel Headed Kill Machine Review

Release Date: Oct 4, 2005
Label: Nuclear Blast America
Genres: Thrash, Heavy Metal, Speed Metal
Number Of Tracks:
San Francisco's legendary Exodus return with another slab of thrash metal, following up their "comeback record of the decade," "Tempo Of The Damned."
 9.2
 9.9
 8.4
Shovel Headed Kill Machine Reviewed by: Gopher636, on january 18, 2006

Sound: exodus, man. these guys have been around for awhile, but I only just got into them. damn was I missing out. this is one of my favorite CDs I own. the drumming from Paul Bostaph, formerly of Slayer and Forbidden, is unbelievable, the guitar-work of Lee Atlus, formerly of Heathen is hard and heavy, and the vocals of Rob Dukes, who used to be a roadie for Exodus, I think, are brutal and fit the evil lyrics (which ill get to momentarliy) perfectly. its like one big, happy thrash family. the other member, and only original Exodus member, Gary Holt, is such a monster at the six-stringer. he goes from crazy-ass Kerry King style whammy bar noise, to dave mustaine style shred runs. and I cant remember the bassist's name, but theres sick bass in 'Deathamhetamine' and a bass solo in 'Now thy Death Day Come' this is the first Exodus CD I've listened to, so I cant realyl compare it to Tempo Of The Damned or Bonded By Blood, their other acclaimed 'must have' albums. but this is a damn good album. // 9

Lyrics: Rob Dukes is a unique singer. In some songs, like 'Raze', he's dishing out screechy, Children Of Bodom-esque yells, while at others like in ".44 Magnum Opus" (my favorite track) he's belting it out reminscing of Tom Araya. There is absoloutely no clean singing on this album, but I dont see how it would fit with the music anyway. The lyrics are mostly about kicking ass and taking names, or stuff of that same vein. 'Raze' is about burning 'Motherf--kers like roman candles, burning these bitches straight to the ground' (straight quote, btw) 'Deathamphetamine' (another of my faves) is about their old guitarist ignoring the band due to his meth addiction, while 'Shudder To Think' covers this same topic, I think. On the topic of serious lyrics, there is 'Altered Boy', which is a decent song about the preist molesting children. Then the ass-kicking songs. '.44 Magnum Opus' is about making an art out of killing peple, with lyrics like 'Fire away; put your body on display; build myself a tower of decay; a symphony; written in human debris, art and murder; true syonomy; no appeal no 'I got a raw deal'; I don't give a f--k; one thing is clear, I got a deaf ear, you better shut your mouth and duck; when I get a taste of laying everyone to waste; my hunger wont subside, I won't ever stop till the last body drops, let the bullet be my guide' hard to see how they fit with the music, but they do. 'Going, Going, Gone' is about stalking and killing someone and getting off to it. Weird, but kickass song. More violence then you can shake a severed limb at. // 10

Overall Impression: I dont know how it stacks up to their other prime efforts, but if theyre like this, then f--kin-A, I have a new favorite band. teh best songs are Raze, Deathamphetamine, Going, Going, Gone, I am Abomination, and .44 magnum Opus. I dont hate much about it, but thats a good thing, eh? if it were stolen or lost, id feel bad for the person that stole it, 'cause if they arent used to sick thrash like this, hes goin to jail in the near future, charged of murder. // 10

Shovel Headed Kill Machine Reviewed by: Rattlehead666, on october 24, 2005

Sound: I love the sound of the music in this album. It's so heavy. It's just as heavy if not heavier than Tempo Of The Damned which was released in 2004. I always think that the new metal albums that are being released suck like shit but ther are a few exceptons (Ex. BLS: Mafia, Megadeth: System Has Failed and Exodus: Tempo Of The Damned) but now I don't sice I listended to this album and the other three in the examples. My favorite song on the album is 44 Magnum Opus. // 10

Lyrics: Theres not much I can say about the lyrics of the album. I like the lyrics because they sound so evil. They are also very depressing which I like. I think the vocalist of Exodus has a great voice. // 10

Overall Impression: I think Exodus is just as good as any metal band today. They are one of my favorite thrash metal bands. If you like Tempo Of The Damned for sure you will like this album. I find it strange that Kirk Hammet from Metallica left the band and now today Metallica's style of music isn't half a good as Exodus. // 10

More Exodus reviews rating latest review
+ Force Of Habit 7.4 02/05/2013