The Earth Is Not A Cold Dead Place Review

explosions in the sky: The Earth Is Not A Cold Dead Place
Released: Nov 4, 2003
Genre: Rock
Styles: Post-Rock/Experimental, Indie Rock
Explosions in the Sky's second effort takes a more studied, even lush approach to the literate chaos of their 2001 debut.
 9.4
 9.1
 9.6
The Earth Is Not A Cold Dead Place Reviewed by: Blocpartyrocks, on april 06, 2010

Sound: This album holds the music that you should live your life to. It holds so much power and strength that it releases you into your own thoughts. Explosions In The Sky's music is inspirational past words, it evokes so much diverse emotion. It can be likened to how the ocean is described, an emotion enhancer. Whatever mood you are in the music from this album sets it alight to burn stronger within you. Songs like Your Hand In Mine', which have featured in films such as Friday Night Lights' have both slow moving parts and upbeat tempos offering the listeners so much in terms of resonance. I can only find one downfall to this album and that is that some of the songs sound very alike, but apart from this the album holds incredible, real music. // 9

Lyrics: There are no lyrics. There is no need for the lyrics; some bands use their lyrics to bring to mind their message and to visualise emotion and passion for the people in their music. But Explosions In The Sky do this to perfection without lyrics. It is their music which conveys their message and passion. The Earth Is Not A Cold Dead Place is a perfect example of how instrumental bands should sound. I feel that if lyrics were put to their songs it would ruin the atmosphere that the songs create already. It would deprive the listeners of hearing the music and deprive the listeners the chance to interpret the music the way they feel it should be. // 9

Overall Impression: Explosions in the sky's album The Earth Is Not A Cold Dead Place is the most inspirational album that I have ever listened to. I love everything about this album, it holds so much emotion and passion that I have listened to this album so many times. The lack of lyrics in the album sets it apart from other bands that we hear today. Explosions In The Sky are an incredible band which have managed to bring so much passion into their music that makes them the most amazing instrumental band I have ever heard. // 10

The Earth Is Not A Cold Dead Place Reviewed by: red_light_stand, on december 07, 2004

Sound: Explosions In The Sky's music is one of a kind. Why is it one of a kind? Because they do not have a singer. Yes, you heard me right they do not have a singer, but they do have 3 guitarists (one of which plays bass), and a drummer. Their music is purely based on exotic guitar riffs that not only make you listen, they also paint a picture in your head. Their music reminds me of some classical symphony but of course not as long even though their songs can be as long as 11 minutes. // 10

Lyrics: Like I said before Explosions In The Sky do not have a singer so they don't have lyrics but I like to think that they do. I think instead of having the traditional singer they use their guitars to do the singing or the storytelling for them, rather than have some out of tune emo singer/screamer to ruin the song. The guys' guitar skills are some of the best I've heard today, and they mix it with all kind of wacked out effects that they switch while their still playing a song. And all 3 guitars dont sound like they do not belong together because they do, every single note that they play on their guitars matches the music mood and style but they do sometimes change it up a bit so it isnt as boring. // 10

Overall Impression: This album does not even compare to some of the bands I've heard. But their probably are a few out their. It kinda seems like they put a little more effort on their record than other bands today. If you listen to their album from first song (First Breath After Coma) to the last song (Your Hand In Mine) it feels like your listening to one whole song and I like it. They also have lended their music to the "Friday Night Lights" soundtrack which I think was the perfect match for them since they are from Texas and the movie is about a football team in Texas. If this album (The Earth Is Not A Cold Dead Place) were stolen I would definatly buy it again, theres just too much to lose if the album were lost. // 8

The Earth Is Not A Cold Dead Place Reviewed by: MEmmett, on january 19, 2007

Sound: The sound of the album draws heavily from post-rock influences, what those influences are I do not know. The sound of this album is intricate and blissfully melodic. Beautiful, clean, shimmering guitars and a certain sound set this album apart from similar artists, to put it simply when one of their songs comes on I know immediately that is an Explosions in the Sky song. I don't know so much about musical innovation; what they do isn't particularly original, but the way they do it is, very much so. // 8

Lyrics: Well, I don't know how to say this, but there aren't any. And that's what I love about it. Many bands do this; heck, instrumental music has been around for decades, but what they play is a very modern variety, very much a sound for the 21st century. I think that lyrics and vocals would ruin the mood and tone of the music. // 8

Overall Impression: I think that I would place Explosions in the Sky in-between near symphonic Canadian band Godspeed You! Black Emperor and up-beat, insanely technical instrumental band Ghosts And Vodka, because sometimes you cannot tell whether the music is up-beat or slow, spacey and orchestral sounding. I love everything about this album, I love every track and I wouldn't change a thing. If it were lost or stolen, I would definately buy it again. // 10

More Explosions In The Sky reviews rating latest review