Broken [Single] Review

Eyes Of Mutiny: Broken [Single]
Released: Oct 10, 2012
Genre: Metalcore
Label: Self-released
The "Broken" single is the second release off the upcoming album by English Metalcore band Eyes Of Mutiny from Surrey, UK. This track is about "broken trust, lies, deceit and picking yourself up".
 4.5
review (1) 1 comment vote for this album:
Broken [Single] Reviewed by: avpr212, on october 11, 2012

Sound: Is there a standing count on the number of soft bit - screamy bit metalcore bands? I'm sure that the number would equal over 4 million, and Eyes Of Mutiny slide right in there in the brown swamp of metalcore that has refused to move since 2000. Right from the title you form an idea about what this is going to be, and yes, you're spot on. Starting with a pounding riff by numbers, we enter the obligatory halt for the clean segment. Repeat forever. Drums, while I suppose shamed out of the mix, do present something of a change. With burst segments and a good sense of tempo, this should elevate the stale guitar noise, if only we could properly hear them. // 2

Lyrics: Most metalcore features the gunshot style of scream that sounds like a man scoffing at other people on the street, with a chorus sung clean. Eyes Of Mutiny completely skip the latter, and reform the former into a bizarre noise that sounds like a man coughing out his food after being given the Heimlich. There's clean segments in which there's no clean singing, but given our vocalists complete lack of pitch control or charisma, so I put this one down to a complete lack of ability. Lyrics are about "broken trust, lies, deceit and picking yourself up". But with lyrics like "chin up, pick yourself up", and "for you I fall, just like the rain" it only serves to break me down. // 2

Overall Impression: This is the worst kind of bad. The bad you've heard 4 million times before, immediatly forget, and just end up with an empty hole in your life. With nothing innovative to bring to the table, this is simply completely worthless generic metal that has no future or any reason to exist in the first place. Avoid. // 2

Comments