Comfort Review

failure: Comfort
Released: Sep 15, 1992
Genre: Alternative Rock
Label: Slash
This record definitely has the epitome sound that defined the 90's. "Comfort" should definitely be up there with the other great records in its era.
 8.4
 7.3
 9.5
review (1) user comments vote for this album:
Comfort Reviewed by: smellslikefish, on march 09, 2012

Sound: This record definitely has the epitome sound that defined the 90's. Greg Edwards' guitar really pulls through on this record especially in the opener "Submission" with its sludgy yet melodic riff. The use of effects is minimal on this album (compared to their others like "Magnified" and "Fantastic Planet") which is kind of bummer as he makes very good use of them in particular songs, though this more raw, basic approach gives it a definite sound for the album. The drums are very reminiscent of early Pixie records, sounding like they've been taken straight from the garage onto the album, particularly on the second song "Macaque". Driven by the loud SNAP! Of the snare, the song truly stays alive. // 8

Lyrics: Over the top of guitars and drums, we have Ken Andrews with his drone-like toned voice but with a sense of power which convey the musics concepts. Though he is not the most technical or talented singer, it definitely sets the music's mood making it almost sound like a cohesive energy rather than a tacked on money maker. However, I was not overly impressed with the lyrics. The music definitely grabs your attention along with his melodies, though sometimes its good we can't understand what he's singing about. Don't get me wrong, what he writes about is about straight forward, lifelike situations which I appreciate... If its written well. The lyrics just don't stand out to me as much as the melodies do. // 5

Overall Impression: "Comfort" should definitely be up there with the other great records in its era. It flows beautifully, conveys emotion and just sounds great. I don't understand why the band didn't like the sound of the finished product as it really sets the feel of the record. // 9

More Failure reviews rating latest review
+ Magnified 9.6 02/04/2013