Fables From A Mayfly: What I Tell You Three Times Is True Review

Fair To Midland: Fables From A Mayfly: What I Tell You Three Times Is True
Release Date: Apr 24, 2007
Label: Serjical Strike/Universal Republic
Genres: Alternative Metal, Progressive Metal
Fair To Midland creates the intense by blending aggressive with sensitive, violent with soft and diluting it with hardcore breakdowns.
 Lyrics: 8.7
 9.1
 9.1
Fables From A Mayfly: What I Tell You Three Times Is True Reviewed by: UG Team, on june 12, 2007

Sound: Fair To Midland has been around since 1998, but didn't get much attention from the mightiest of the world, releasing their records independently. With their third full-length it seems the band's underrated period is finally over. Fables From A Mayfly: What I Tell You Three Times Is True is recorded on Serjical Strike label headed by System of a Down frontman Serj Tankian. It fact they are the first band to be singed to the record label. Fair To Midland are fusing so many influences and styles in their music, it's hard to compare them to anything in particular. The band has difficulties defining their music genre themselves, describing it as something that's cohesive, intensely focused, and in a bold new category all it's own. While bombing drums by Brett Stowers and distorted guitars by Cliff Campbell are here for the dynamic effect, piano by Matt Langley varies the music a lot and adds a melodic component to it. Fair To Midland creates the intense by blending aggressive with sensitive, violent with delicate and diluting it with hardcore breakdowns. They flavor the music with almost imperceptible electronics, which accomplishes the band's unique sound. Produced by David Bottrill (Tool, Peter Gabriel), the record carries a certain influence of Bottrill with a few Tool-like elements in it. The guys have recorded about 17 tracks for the CD, only 11 of which made it through, thus there are no filler material on the album. Two of the tracks -- Kyla Cries Cologne and Seafarer's Knot are borrowed from the band's The Drawn and Quartered EP, released earlier on Serjical Strike label. // 9

Lyrics: Fables From A Mayfly: What I Tell You Three Times Is True will give you something to think about. The band tells philosophical stories, using rare words and interesting metaphors. They are questioning things like Are the birds of a feather that clever? Of course there are songs on the same trite subject everybody gets inspiration from -- love. But they are very well-written -- something you can quote in a love-letter to your girlfriend without feeling stupid. Darroh Sudderth has a very strong voice. He sounds great both in a loud soaring roar and in a quiet soft singing. Sudderth claims he tries a bit of everything in his vocals and he pays a lot attention to how he's doing it. The result turns out to sound very professional. He was a bassist originally, but the band couldn't find a singer, so Sudderth had no choice but to try himself in singing. Ironically what seemed like a desperate situation, turned out really good. Sudderth's carrying the duties of the vocalist better than anybody and can as well compete with the greatest rock singers. // 9

Overall Impression: Even though it's only their third LP in almost ten years, it's obvious the guys didn't waste time. They say the band wasn't any good for the first five years. Well, the rest of the time has surely been very fruitful. Their musical force is very strong and unique in a way of being solid. The name of the third album sounds a bit awkward, but that is probably the only disappointing moment about the whole CD. Though the album sounds very organic, all the songs are different and there's something to remember about each track. There are no catchy melodies, but Fair To Midland still find a way to make you remember the song. You have to give the album a few careful listens and it'll grow on you. The music is pretty complicated and quite unusual; I'd advise you to listen to the album is headphones as it demands your full attention. // 9

- Kosh (c) 2007

Fables From A Mayfly: What I Tell You Three Times Is True Reviewed by: tmedlin18, on may 19, 2009

Sound: When I first heard this band on my satellite radio I thought to myself "What the hell am I hearing?" The heavy, crunchy guitar slide on 'Dance of the Manatee' made me stop changing channels the second I heard it. They are completely unique and I havn't ever heard anything like it before or since. No one these days seems to have the skill to do what they do. Through the whole album I liked the way the guitar accentuated the overall sound of the band and didn't ever go so far as to break the rhythm just to show off. The bass drops a low, rhythmic sound into the mix while the drums pound out a beat flawlessly despite many changes in the time signature on even one song. Keyboards rarely mix the classical and contemporary sounds as well as Fair to Midland does and such singing is rare as well. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics show an especially unique amount of thought and twist modern sayings and stories to suit it's needs giving the songs the sound of a modern fairytale to keep people thinking. The music keeps a very enigmatic tone and sound throughout to keep with the sounds of the lyrics and vocals, and Darroh Suderth has the voice of that can beautifully hit notes from one end of the spectrum to the other. He can go instantly from high and poweful to metallic and growling. He shows some very impressive skill in his range that can be heard in other acts such as Saosin and Three Days Grace but he does them both in a single song which is truly impressive. // 10

Overall Impression: Basically the best way to create another Fair To Midland would be to take dredg, Tool, R.E.M., your favorite childhood fairy tales, throw them into a blender and push puree. This band (particularly on this album) reminds of the experimental sound of dredg and the progressive metal style of Tool, as well as the enigmatic lyrics of Michael Stipe of R.E.M., all the while keeping a unique edge all their own. Every song is pure gold, but three stand alone in a class all their own. 'Dance of the Manatee' is unique in every way, even the name. The lyrics are psychadelic and hard to understand but after the overall confusion passes a story begins to take shape. 'Fables' appears to be a concept album to me, so all the songs tell the same story, but I can't be sure. However, Other songs hold sway over the others still, two others capture my imagination and send inspiration running through my mind, they are of course 'Kyla Cries Cologne' and 'Say When.' In the first song the keyboard enters in a blaze of glory setting the pace for the songs with a classical sound. The guitar is constantly stopping and starting with bursts of energy to add flare to the overall production and Brett Stowers, the drummer, shows an impressive amount of technique and dexterity, particularly in this song. There is honestly not one thing I dislike about this album, it suit's me fine and shows that their is still skill in rock music today. // 10

Fables From A Mayfly: What I Tell You Three Times Is True Reviewed by: Methus72, on october 17, 2008

Sound: The band is a very ranging band, using almost progressive metal and a lot of mystical keyboard beauty to integrate and infuse all kinds of music together in almost every song the band performs. Discovered by System of a Down's Serj Tankian, the band released it's first full-length album, Fables from a Mayfly: What I Tell You Three Times Is True, and it solidified their position in the world of rock. Touring vigorously, the band is know for amazing shows where the lead singer, Darroh Sudderth (who has possibly the most ranging voice in rock today) even can be seen hanging from rafters and the rest of the band can be seen in and out of the crowd. Sudderth's vocal range can go from a high falsetto to a low, growling scream within a second. The guitar in the band also is very noticable. Playing at a drop C, the guitar in most of the songs continues to surprise. Piano/keyboard in the music continually mystifies the listener, and the breakbeat style of drumming is impressive to all. Don't be suprised if Fair to Midland is the next big thing in music. // 8

Lyrics: The poetic lyrics of Fair to Midland are full of figures-of-speech and many phrases your grandmother had probably told you to try to teach you a lesson. What fans love about the lyrics is that even if they know what the song is about, they are all vague enough to insert your own feelings, experiences, and dreams into the music. Singing of the lyrics is increasingly impressive, especially after watching someone try to cover a FTM song. Some hear the vocals and say they're almost TOO intense to listen to; fans love that more than compliments that they're good. // 7

Overall Impression: Fair to Midland doesn't sound like an average band in contemporary music. A combination of Pink Floyd and Dropkick Murpheys is the closest comparison that comes to mind. The most noticable songs on the album are: Dance of the Manatee (the only single)+Kyla Cries Cologne (if you listen, they almost are a 2 part song. More songs are: Walls of Jericho, April Fools and Eggmen, A Wolf Descends on the Spanish Sahara, and the combination of Upgrade^Brigade and Say When. // 10

More Fair To Midland reviews rating latest review