Angel Dust Review

artist: faith no more date: 07/23/2007 category: compact discs
faith no more: Angel Dust
Release Date: Jun 8, 1992
Label: Slash
Genres: Hard Rock, Alternative Pop/Rock, Heavy Metal, Funk Metal, Alternative Metal
An amazing album, Angel Dust unfortunately has limited appeal, although perhaps "unfortunately" isn't the right word; the record's oddities are also what make it such a fascinating listen.
 9.8
 9.7
 9.8
Angel Dust Reviewed by: DANLSTORY, on august 07, 2006

Sound: FNM combine funk, metal, jazz, hip-hop, and prog and prove to be one of the most creative and underrated groups of the '90s. This would the last album with guitarist Jim Martin, who contributed heavily to FNM's metallic sound.Its one of FNM's best efforts, and it's a true shame that this disc didn't recieve the amount of success it deserved. // 10

Lyrics: Topics range from the bitter and senile (Land Of Sunshine, RV, Midlife Crisis) to the abstract and generally-weird (Smaller And Smaller, Everythings Ruined). Mike Patton whispers, screams, groans, and even croons over the music. Great, interesting lyrics, even if they don't always make sense. // 10

Overall Impression: This album shows the versatility the Faith No More had. There are funk-driven rhythms without, courtesy of bassist Billy Gould and drummer Mike Bordin, as well as Jim Martin's metallic guitar stylings. Keyboardist Roddy Bottum also delivers with wonderful keyboard flourished thoughout Angel Dust. Over the top of it all is hyper-versatile vocalist Mike Patton, who can croon like Sinatra one minute and give a blood-curdling scream the next. Overall, I think this album just shows FNM were easily one of the most creative groups of the nineties.This disc should NOT be ignored, highly recommended. // 10

Angel Dust Reviewed by: peterwivsta, on july 23, 2007

Sound: Amazing sound. Love the keyboard and bass, which are both big parts of the music. The range of Micheal Patton's voice allows him to be the lead instrument which is cool. The drums are perfect. The metal guitar riffs are truly masterpeice. Great mix of metal, soul, pop, funk, folk, etc. Only a bit of typical mainstream music in it at the end of Midlife Crisis. // 9

Lyrics: Fantastic lyrics. Mainly about age: e.g, land of sunshine is like two characters talking to someone depressed about age. "Varicose! Comatose! Senial!" as if listing what comes with age in time order. The song title "Midlife Crisis" symbolises what many 'approaching 40' year olds feel when approaching 40 if they feel they've reached 'half-way' and done nothing in their lives that they are proud of. "RV" seems to be about a slob that wastes his life and is bored, etc. The lyrics in conclusion are very clever and prove that Mike Patton is very intelligent and possibly 'odd'. // 10

Overall Impression: I think this is a truly amazing album, one for anyone with open music taste. Definitely in my top 10 albums and my favourite Faith No More album. I love the great versatility of the band and the concept of aging involved. Also I like the fact the cover songs aren't mixed in with their songs, they've been put at the end ('Midnight Cowboy' and 'Easy'). I would buy it again if it was lost or stolen any number of times. The only thing I don't like about the album is the fact that at the end of "midlife crisis" it has been over-produced and repeats like a typical pop song. This coincides with the fact it was a single. Also I think they may have released too many singles off this (ones I know of: 'Midlife Crisis', 'A Small Victory' and 'Easy'). // 9

More Faith No More reviews rating latest review