King For A Day, Fool For A Lifetime Review

faith no more: King For A Day, Fool For A Lifetime
Release Date: Mar 28, 1995
Label: Slash/Reprise
Genres: Alternative Pop/Rock, Heavy Metal, Funk Metal, Alternative Metal
King for a Day, Fool for a Lifetime remains one of Faith No More's underrated releases.
 9.6
 9.7
 9.5
review (1) 5 comments vote for this album:
King For A Day, Fool For A Lifetime Reviewed by: MonsterOfRock, on june 25, 2008

Sound: Released in 1995 and the first album without guitarist Jim Martin, 'King For A Day, Fool For A Lifetime' manages to keep the intensity of Faith No More without exposing weaknesses. Different and slightly straighter forward than 'Angel Dust', this album still maintains it's uniqueness. While Mr. Bungle guitarist Trey Spruance fills in for the guitar duties, also brings over a heavier approach to the riffage. Musically, this album has an extensive range as the band explores through many genres. It Starts with the punk-driven "Get Out" and moves into the more general rock of "Ricochet". Then it moves on to "Evidence," an ambient Jazz piece driven by some smooth bass work and a choking wah-wah strumming on the guitar to lay a beautiful rhythm. Things become radical as "The Gentle Art of Making Enemies" keeps making frantic changes of mood and ends in deadly fashion. This is followed by the Swingy/Jazzy "Star A.D." which again will confuse listeners that are trying to pin-point Faith No More to a genre. The album again picks up it's heavy vibe with "Cuckoo for Caca". With some groovy drum work and some big fat riffage, Mike Patton completes this song with some outta-the-world vocals, screaming "Shit Lives Forever!" "Caralho Voador" is another Jazzy song that's nice to the ears. However, not the following track "Ugly in the Morning". The drums is the main attraction of this song, the rest are borderline crazy. And as we know, if the crazed lunatic is Mike Patton, it must be good! "Digging the Grave" follows next. A heavy punk song with pure FNM attitude. Then, with an almost country-attitude, comes "Take this Bottle". The title track follows next, with some strumming acoustic guitar sounds and a easy listening beat while being entirely controlled by Billy Gould's bass work. The beautiful ambient piece then dives even deeper during the chorus and post-chorus. The punk-drive of the opening track is brought back with "What a Day", which however isn't as outstanding as some of the track in the album. "The Last to Know" follows, with some slow and heavy riffage with the lyrics sung over it in a melodic fashion. This song is completed with a weird, wonderful and melodic guitar solo. Definitely Spruance' shining moment in the album. The album closes with "Just a Man", a chilled out love ballad with a crooned chorus and finishing, reminiscent of the band's cover of the Bee Gees' "I Started a Joke". // 10

Lyrics: Lyrically, this album is typical Mike Patton. Even though he is more subtle than on "Angel Dust", he still puts his unique touch of sarcasm/cynicism. In "Ricochet", he sings "It's always funny until someone gets hurt, and then it's just hilarious", or in "Cuckoo for Caca", he describes our lust for materialism with "We'll retire with the turd on our lips, under a pair of knowing eyes. I'm gonna take a few down with me and drop my good side". And when it comes to finding the right way to sing the right lyrics, Mike Patton is always a top dog. His vocal range and style is unmatched. From the death-metal-esque outro of "The Gentle Art" to the crooning in "Just A Man", all the way through the Jazz of Evidence" and Latin influences of "Caralho Voador", one can only imagine how an untrained singer can manage all this. The Style of FNM has been purified since Patton's introduction in "The Real Thing" and righteously so, has given us some of the most interesting music of the modern era. // 10

Overall Impression: Overall, this album finds a nice middle ground between "Angel Dust" and "Album of the Year". Although it could never live up to the intensity of "Angel Dust", this album is a lot more approachable and doesn't disappoint. If this was to be looked upon as the usual rock album, it would sound disastrous. But the experimental talent of Faith No More has shown us over the years about how risky and unique an album can afford to be and still have the intensity. This was the Faith No More album that has gotten me into their music, and from a musician point of view, this album (along with other FNM albums) goes to prove how a band can synchronise and synthesise awesome and unique music. If my copy was stolen, I would happily purchase another one, because FNM is something no one should miss. Thanks for reading. // 9

More Faith No More reviews rating latest review