Evening Out With Your Girlfriend Review

fall out boy: Evening Out With Your Girlfriend
Release Date: 2002
Label: Uprising
Genres: Punk-Pop, Emo
Evening Out With Your Girlfriend was a Fall Out Boy primer, a hyper tantrum of humor, self-deprecation, puppy love, and Get Up Kids worship.
 Lyrics: 9.5
 7.8
 9.3
 6.3
Evening Out With Your Girlfriend Reviewed by: Pickleboy03, on march 24, 2006

Sound: In their very first CD, which is actually a demo, they didn't have current drummer Andy Hurley, and you can kind of tell that the drumming style is different. The CD is good, but it sounds like they recorded in their basement. The songs are good none the less, including songs like Growing Up, Pretty In Punk and Moving Pictures. // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics are well thought out for a first CD, where most of the members haven't even turned 20 (except bassist Pete Wentz). It has the normal Fall Out Boy sound, hard to understand lyrics and upbeat pace to a song about something dark. Singer Patrick Stump's voice is noticeablly higher in pitch. But still, if you like Fall Out Boy's other stuff, you'll like this. // 10

Overall Impression: Another rare find, like "My Heart Will Always Be The B-Side To My Tongue." If you are a Fall Out Boy fan, I would definately suggest picking it up if you see it. This is the stuff that they started with. Even though Andy isn't there, it is still a very good CD. // 10

Evening Out With Your Girlfriend Reviewed by: mikko 9119, on november 28, 2007

Sound: Sound wise, this band is very raw, hard core type sound to it. It was very early Fall Out Boy, with 3 of the 4 current members. The off-beat guitars, mismatched drum and bass section, and the overall crappy sound of it all just adds to the pure love for the album. Yes, it is very bad and sounds like it was recorded in a garage, but that is what makes it one of Fall Out Boys greatest albums. The mix with the instruments feels strong, it is basically what is keeping this whole album together. If some songs were supposed to be acoustic, the whole thing would have fell apart. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics seem a little less stronger towards "love on the road" and hating someone. It all is about being let down and rejected, being used, and just basically being a loser. Patrick has an amazing voice and is a very good singer. His singing was awesome for what this album sounds like. In this album, Pete is a very good lyricist, but he could have done better. The only example I really have is the confusing "He's well hung," Now, I'm not sure what that is supposed to mean, but it fits with the song. He should have elaborated more on that. The powerful lyrics with great music really pulled the whole thing together. // 9

Overall Impression: I think, for being there first album, it was okay. Musically, they could have tried to make it a little less sloppy, but that was probably just the way they were, especially so young. As usual, you can't understand a work Patrick says. The most impressive song is "Parker Lewis Can't Lost (But I'm Gonna Give It My Best Shot)." It had so much emotion put into the lyrics, and the whole feel of the song goes from mellow to a pure punk song. I basically love the whole album, and the only thing I hate is the fact that I got and early issue of it. So "Moving Pictures" has this weird sound to it. It sounds like the singing was split and then something went wrong in the process. But, if I lost I, I would definitely buy it again, even if it is saved to my computer. I could buy it just to say I have the actual album. // 9

More Fall Out Boy reviews rating latest review