From Under The Cork Tree Review

fall out boy: From Under The Cork Tree
Released: May 3, 2005
Genre: Rock
Styles: Punk-Pop, Emo
With 2005's From Under the Cork Tree, the band fully delivers on their first full-length's promise.
 Lyrics: 8.6
 8.7
 7.3
From Under The Cork Tree Reviewed by: UG Team, on september 01, 2005

Sound: I've always wondered, how come all of those bands, who never ever though of becoming famous and "just wanted to play music" all of the sudden record a great album and sign up with a major label, when all of those, who are desperate for a little bit of fame and success stay local stars forever? So, here's another "Cinderella story": pieces of different hardcore bands -- Patrick Stump (guitar, vocals), Pete Wentz (guitar), Joe Trohman (bass), Andy Hurlay (drums) -- got together in 2001 to "do something different with no intention of it ever becoming anything" according to Wentz. The band even got they name by occasion -- with the help of some fan. On their second concert they asked the crowd about the name for themselves and someone screamed out "Fall Out Boy." Chicago guys had to try hard to get to the major scene, so they chose the easiest and approved way -- recorded three demo songs and sent them to every possible record label (without even thinking about getting famous. Eventually in 2003 they recorded their debut "Take This To Your Grave" on Fueled by Ramen. Singles such "Grand Theft Autumn (Where Is Your Boy)" and airplay on Fuse and MTVU helped them to sell 200,000 copies of the CD. To release their major label debut, Fall Out Boy had to join forces with Island Records. The second album "From Under The Cork Tree" was out in May 2005 and debuted on the Billboard charts at #9. The record was produced by Neal Avron, who's worked with A New Found Glory. One of the big differences on the current album is that all the members of the band were involved in the songwriting process, unlike "Take This To Your Grave," where the only authors were Stump and Wentz. As a result, they had 25 songs to choose from. And they did quite good job -- none of the songs sound like a filler. The music can be described by all different kinds of music styles -- punk, pop, emo, alt rock. Whatever it is, the music is very melody oriented and there are a lot of subtle instrumentations, that aren't obvious, but add beauty to the sound. The album is full of razor-sharp melodies and punchy cords. Most of the songs are catchy and dancy. Layers of guitars make the music sound very melodic. From the first listen it gets obvious that "Sugar, We're Going Down" is the best and catchiest song on the album. You get lost in those [o] and [u] sounds -- earlier, round, bullet, pull it. Amazing, how all the worlds get into a big wonderful mess of sounds, that you don't even pay attention to the meaning. Though the best thing about the song is that it doesn't end with the words "Cock it and pull it" and there's a piece of music after that. The next great song is fast-paced "Dance Dance." Immediately from the intro you get the feeling there's something different about the song. The music and vocals are very intense and the chorus is very catchy. A very good choice for a single. // 10

Lyrics: As seen on the previouse album, here the song titles are long as hell and ironic. So are the lyrics of the songs. Stump shoot out tumbling words in every song and sometimes it sounds like a lengthy tongue-twister. But surprisingly it doesn't sound like a big goofy mess or a diarrhea of words. I must admit, here Fall Out Boy are genius. Dark sense of humor adds a certain flavor to the music. The lyrics are mostly bitter, but never depressive or witty. Patrick Stump's voice is not something extraordinary, but he does his job well. He might not have the best vocal abilities, but he presents his voice very skill-wise -- he knows where it needs to be light, where strong, edgy or melodic. Backvocals are a perfect fit and very well-produced too. // 10

Overall Impression: The current record has a deep philosophy behind the title. The idea came from Pete Wentz -- when he was a little boy, his fave book was "The Story Of Ferdinand" by Munro Leaf. It's a story about a bull, who sits under a cork tree and smells flowers instead of getting into a ring and battling a bullfighter. "I think it's an amazing metaphor for how people can be," Wentz says. "There's something really honorable about following your own path and not doing what's expected of you." Well, nice it's not just a dull name of the main song on the album! Comparing to their debut indie record, the band outbid themselves on this one. I can't say there's a single song I didn't enjoy. The album goes very smoothly, not a song falls out of the contest of the record. "From Under The Cork Tree" has a lot of nice features appearing here and there all through the album that doesn't let you get bored. What the album misses is a good slow love-song. Something very remarkable about bitchy ex-girlfriend or a beautiful princess that lives next door, something that would became the second single after a fast-paced first single. Or maybe it's just a cliche? "I've Got A Dark Alley And A Bad Idea That Says You Should Shut Your Mouth," that is supposed to be the "love-song" of the album, is too lazy-slow for that part, like every summer song. // 8

From Under The Cork Tree Reviewed by: soXlittleXtimeX, on october 20, 2005

Sound: The sound is a little different from "Take This To Your Grave." It's got a whole lot more of a pop-punk sound now. They seemed to have used a whole lot more powerchords in this album. The music isn't bad sounding but it could have used a little more originality. It sounds just like any other punk band, but nothing too special. // 6

Lyrics: The lyrics weren't bad. They seemed to have a little feel to them as if he actually took time to write them, so they don't sound stupid. Some of the songs sound like they have some weird messages though. Other than that it sounds good with the music. The singer isn't too bad. I like him though cause he sounds a little different from some other punk bands. // 7

Overall Impression: If I had to pick, I would probably pick their first album over this. This album seems to much like they tried to sound like someone else. It doesn't really have any originality to it. That lost points for me. I only really liked 3 songs from the album "Sugar We're Goin Down," "A Little Less 16 Candles A Little More Touch Me" and "Sophomore Slump Or Comeback Of The Year." If your looking for something special I wouldn't recommend it (only if you're already a fan). If it were lost or stolen I would just burn a copy from a friend. // 6

From Under The Cork Tree Reviewed by: KerazyPhool, on december 07, 2005

Sound: Fall Out Boy have a very unique and interesting sound about them. Patrick's voice is unlike anyone else I can think of and there are plenty of guitar highlights throughout the album. Some songs after the first listen you feel you almost know the song because pop punk is almost a typical genre. Not really an essential buy but for Fall Out Boy fans, obsessed or just heard a song I do recommend it. // 8

Lyrics: Pete Wentz has a very different approach to his lyrics, covering the true meaning (which are normally of stalking, sex or both) with deep, dirty and sometimes confusing lines. He uses great style in writing the songs of FUTCT as of every FOB album. Patricks voice does the lyrics justice, his voice completeing them as if a story was being displayed through them and he was telling it. // 10

Overall Impression: Fall Out Boy are sky high in the pop punk genre and it seems they can do no wrong and they find a funny way of planting their ever catchy songs into your brain till you want to rip it out. I wouldn't say they are the band on 2005 but watch this space. // 8

From Under The Cork Tree Reviewed by: shugo449, on june 05, 2006

Sound: I'll admit it, I bought into the whole Fall Out Boy craze. Why? Because of the sound. F.O.B.'s standard yet unique punk sound is easily distinguished, mild distortion, Patrick Stumps sloshed vocals and the easy guitar riffs played in drop D. They don't really use any fancy techniques, just slides hammer ons and a bend or two. Even without those, Fall Out Boy can still easily rock. // 10

Lyrics: Patrick Stumps lead vocals are slurred sometimes, a good thing for young kids or people with over protective parents. Why? Because literally every song is about drinking, partying, or sex, but you can get past that usless crap and still jam to the catchy tunes. // 7

Overall Impression: Falll Out Boy is an extrordinary punk band, yet just another one. But, this Fall Out Boy's From Under the Cork Tree will satisfy all punk fans and most every person who is willing to buy a CD rom an arstist that their not that familiar with. It's a must have for any CD collection, no matter what genre you favor. // 10

From Under The Cork Tree Reviewed by: M. Moloney, on may 24, 2005

Sound: The sound is very good and has that crisp american edge to it. This album isn't going to set the world alight but it should gain Fall Out Boy a few new fans with their hooky pop-punk style or as they describe themselves 'softcore'. Pity about the unusually long track names e.g. 'I slept with someone from fall out boy and all I got was this stupid song written about me'. And theres more! // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics are better than I expected with songs like 'Dance, Dance' having a very mature feel to them. And for a good-time band they outclass many of there peers. Some of the singing is wonderful and the backing singers are very good too. The mature tone of the album can be seen on 'Get Busy Living Or...' // 8

Overall Impression: A very solid album, there are no songs you would class as bad. Stand outs include 'Dance, Dance', 'Sugar, Were Going down', 'Champagne...' and 'I slept with...' The only thing I don't like is the rant the singer has at the end of 'Get busy living...' Overall a good album that does enough to move Fall Out Boy out of the crowd and into their own light. // 8

From Under The Cork Tree Reviewed by: unregistered, on may 26, 2005

Sound: The music Fall Out Boy plays in this album is very good. It's much more clearer and put together much better. Also the transistion from soft to loud is alot better as compared to there old album take this to the grave with you. Also Fall Out Boy made a change from beeing more of a proccussion domonate band to now using the guitar much more and putting the drums more in the back ground. Over all I think Fall Out Boy is going to loose some fans and gain some fans with there new album. // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics in this album are so much more clearer and make more sence. But the lyrics seem to be showing people a more angry side of Fall Out Boy almost an emo side. Also there song titles acually sort of go along with the lyrics this time ofcourse other songs such as track one (Our lawyers made us change the title of this song so we wouldn't be sued) don't go along with the lyrics at all. But overall I think the music and lyrics go together. // 8

Overall Impression: I think compared to the rest of Fall Out Boys work this is a big plus for them. I would say theres only one bad song on the album (nobody puts baby in the corner) I don't like it becuase its slow, and acoustic songs is are somthing fall out boy is not good at. The quality and sound is very different then there other stuff, wich is also a plus. This album is definatly worth the 13 dollars. I just hope that this cd isn't the kind that you love for 2 weeks then it sucks. I'm very excited to see what Fall Out Boy comes out with next. // 8

From Under The Cork Tree Reviewed by: weezer713, on may 26, 2005

Sound: After my friend burned me Fall out Boy's first record, I was hooked and had to buy "From Under The Cork Tree." At first, I didn't like it as much as "Take This To Your Grave" but after listening to it again, I realized it was such a great record! Fall Out Boy sounds a bit like Jimmy Eat World and Blink 182 combined. // 10

Lyrics: Of course when I said they sounded a bit like Blink 182, not the lyrics! The lyrics are much more mature and similar to those in the first record. They have deeper topics in this CD. I love Patrick's voice, it's smooth and original. He sings pretty much the same as in their debut album but his voice is much deeper in "I've got a drak alley and..." which was cool. // 10

Overall Impression: I think it's a little better than "Take This To Your Grave." Although I love every song, my favorite songs are: "Our Lawyer Made Us...", "Of All The Gin Joints In The World," "Dance, Dance," "Sugar, We're Goin Down," "7 Minutes In Heaven" and "Sohomore Slump Or Comeback..." I love everything about it! If it were stolen, I would definetly buy it again. Fall Out Boy are a great band that many people could relate too. Try them out! // 10

From Under The Cork Tree Reviewed by: konfusion1111, on may 26, 2005

Sound: Sounds nothing like the band's first record, Take This To Your Grave. It's a refreshing change, but it's the same direction the rest of the pop-punk genre is going towards. More raw, and agressive than Take This To Your Grave. Overall, it still gets 5 stars. // 10

Lyrics: Pete Wentz is a lyrical genius. Tons of hooks and catchy choruses. Long song titles could be the only downfall, but at least it's a change from the rest of the world. The lyrics are full of truth and bitterness. More mature than the first record. Again, 5 stars. // 10

Overall Impression: Overall, this CD is incredible. Fall Out Boy have moved on from the typical pop-punk sound, this CD is a lot more raw and emotion-filled, compared to Take This to Your Grave. They let it rip and took a chance, and it payed off big time. Overall, it gets 5 stars. // 10

From Under The Cork Tree Reviewed by: unregistered, on september 02, 2005

Sound: Fall Out Boy is easily the best band we have heard this year by far. The sound of thier music is amazing. There is not one song on this CD I did not enjoy. Patrick Stump has an amazing voice, probably the best voice for a punk band since Mark Hoppus, Tom DeLonge, or Billie Joe Armstrong. This band has a good chance of being the best punk band of all time if they can keep up with thier work. This is easily 5 stars! // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics on this album are amazing. This band has a way with words cause you could give anyone their melody and they could not give it better lyrics then Fall Out Boy does. The lyrics go right along with the music. Stump is amazing. His voice is just natural. When I went to Warped Tour this year, Fall Out Boy was easily the best band thier with thier performance and everything because of how great Patrick Stump is. Their has never been a band who has made it big with a shitty singer. Stump has got it all! If you give this album any less then a five you pretty stupid! // 10

Overall Impression: Fall Out Boy's last album, Take This To Your Grave was an excellent album to get them on track in thier careers. From Under The Cork Tree was an even better album to finish what Take This To Your Grave has started. The most inpressive songs are easily the songs My Lawyer Made Us Change the Name Of This Song So We Wouldn't Get Sued, Dance, Dance, I Slept With Someone In Fall Out Boy and All I Got Was This Stupid Song Written About Me, and best of all Sugar Were Goin Down. I love everythin about this album, the band, the music, the lyrics, everything! I have 3 copies of this album and I would easily buy 3 more! // 10

From Under The Cork Tree Reviewed by: falloutboyX, on september 02, 2005

Sound: Well as you see I am a huge Fall Out Boy fan and it started out when my friend recommended me FOB. So I said what the heck and so I after listening to their first album I got hooked on it. Pete Wentz used his favorite story to name this title which is really smart of him to do because its really hard to make an album title. The music style was very direct to the mood of the song which made all of them real good to the ear. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are amazing and have sexual themes in it which makes it a really dirty album in a good way. Lyrics and the music suit well but the titles are really long haha. Patrick is an awesome singer except when he's on really low pitch. He messes up on it but when its fast and high hes really good especially with Pete screamin and Joe with the back vocals. // 10

Overall Impression: Fall Out Boy is a one of a kind band that only a few people can copy or imitate. Almost all of them were impressive especially XO since in the middle of the song I think they do a half and half of an Accapala or something like that with electric guitars, wow good new combination. I love how Fall Out Boy plays their angry songs with the strum, pause, strum tecnique If you dont know what I'm talking about play I slept with someone from the FOB song. The thing I hate is that they didnt release Music or Misery in here in the USA but instead it was a bonus Japan track. If I lost it I would go crazy and maybe steal one, yeah it's that good people. // 10

From Under The Cork Tree Reviewed by: gdrox91, on november 26, 2005

Sound: This album really takes you back to the time, where Blink 182 got popular, in 1999. This sounds like the place where wild teenagers hung out and listened to the so-called "teeange-music" and listened to music they could relate to. This album is quite the same, although Fall Out Boy, no matter if they deserve it or not, aint that popular. I really love the singers voice and he makes the music worth to listen to, although the bass, the guitar and the drums really also rocks! The lyrics ain't that mature, cause Fall Out Boy's a really funny band. The only song that is just a bit serous, is "Sugar, We're Going Down." This song is also my favourite. This CD is incredible, like the first Fall Out Boy CD, and people should get it, especially the fans. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics, as mentioned, ain't mature, they're just really funny. They're what we need in this alternative pop-punk world. There are some serious lines in these songs, not many though, and there's only one really mature song. "Sugar, We're Going Down." I like writing that. The singer sings so well, there's really something special about his voice. His voice fits so good into the music, unlike many other pop-punk bands. // 8

Overall Impression: This is really something pop-punk fans should get. And if you're a true Fall Out Boy fan, then ger this and like it. If you don't like it, you're not a true fan. It sounds excatly like the old album, and it's really something I look positive on. I would definetly but this again, if it were stolen. Or maybe I'll just steal it back somehow. This really rocks. Get it, fellows! // 10

From Under The Cork Tree Reviewed by: blujayrocker, on december 02, 2005

Sound: This bands sound is one of the best I have ever heard, it's very rock alternative. I think that most people would enjoy this cd with hours and hours of listining. I actually injoyed the songs "I Slept With Someone In Fall Out Boy And All I Got Was This Stupid Song Written About Me" and there biggest hit yet "Sugar' We're Going Down" so if you get a chance to get this CD then whatever you do then get this album. // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics fit the songs very well, almost every song sang by singer Patrick Tump was in pitch and tempo. If you could ever here the band without the music it just would complete. Most of the time though you dont here any other members of the band sing. I think we all have at least heard the words, "Sugar, We're Goin Down" and know what they mean, this is one of the examples of how well the lyrics go with the song since it was at number one on some charts earyler this year. // 8

Overall Impression: I think if I were to think of a good match up for this band it would probable have to be "Simple Plan" or "The All-Amwerican Rejects" the have a similair sound. The Most impressive songs from this album is in my opinion "I Slept With Someone In Fall Out Boy And All I Got Was This Stupid Song Written About Me," "Sugar, We're Goin Down" and "Dance Dance." I love everything about this cd and I would never give it away or sell it. If it were stolen I would beat the guy's ass who stole it and take it back. // 8

From Under The Cork Tree Reviewed by: Thania, on december 05, 2005

Sound: Fall Out Boy was and is still awesome. The album is produced by Neal Avron and it's definitely not a letdown. FUCT might not be as great as Take This To Your Grave or Evening Out With Your Girlfriend, but it is definitely another great album from Fall Out Boy. Their songs are so catchy, I find it hard to get it out of my head. // 10

Lyrics: Lyrics are amazing. Pete Wentz is a really awesome writer. Fall Out Boy's lyrics are definitely one thing that separates them from other band. They actually mean something. Oh, and Patrick's voice, it is good. So you can't really understand any word he's saying, but he is definitely one of the best singer around. // 10

Overall Impression: This is definitely not a sophomore slumpback for Fall Out Boy. The sounds are a little bit different from Take This to Your Grave, but it still is an awesome album. The most impressive songs from the album is definitely "Get Busy Living.." and what I hate the most about this album is that I wish Pete had screamed on it more. If it were stolen/lost I'd probably get it again. // 10

From Under The Cork Tree Reviewed by: punkgirl1992, on december 26, 2005

Sound: The band's punky sound gives them an individual inmage and it makes them great! This is the 1st Fall Out Boy album I had got and I will be looking for more! I thought it was amazing. The best song by far was Nobody Puts Baby In The Corner, the lyrics were well written and the way the instruments were used was even better! // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are very well written and keep on track with what the song is actually trying to say, unlike some other punk bands who tend to wander off from the subject. The singer has a very unique voice and gives a small twist to the songs. // 8

Overall Impression: Compared to my other favourite bands, like Green Day, it is a lot better and never drops below a certain tempo. The most impressive songs were Dance Dance, Sugar, We're Goin Down, Nobody Puts Baby In The Corner and Sophomore Slump Or Comeback Of The Year. I love that it keeps the same sort of tempo and way of playing, but in different ways making it fresh and exciting when every song starts, and I don't really hate anything about it. I would definatley buy it again. // 9

From Under The Cork Tree Reviewed by: Fallout Fan, on january 10, 2006

Sound: The band's music was some of the best music I've heard. The best word that describes it is wonderfull. In this CD Fall Out Boy uses guitars, bass, drums, and in some songs it sounds like a bongo drum. The guitar and bass parts of these songs are really basic for the most part and easy to learn but I find that that makes them better for some how, personaly I thinks basic makes it better. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics were ok. Some of them were kind of hard to understand but if you listen to them enough you figure them out but then they pretty easy to understand. The "singer" skills were better than the Benji and Joel from Good Charlotte and the band as a whole is just better than both Simple Plan and Blink 182 that includes thier singing so yeah the singing skills a again great. // 7

Overall Impression: Does it compare to other albums? No, it's basically the best CD I've ever heard. The best songs on the CD are Sugar We're Going Down and Nobody Puts Baby In The Corner. My favorite part of the CD is that I can relate to basically all the songs what I hate about is how unclear the lyrics are that's the only thing I don't like about it. If it were lost or stolen I would definatly buy another one. I like this CD so much that I have it saved to my iPod, my computer and my xBox, it's crazy. // 10

From Under The Cork Tree Reviewed by: unregistered, on january 14, 2006

Sound: Fall Out Boy's sound is generally unique and one of a kind, although some emo/punk bands tend to share a few words and forms of phrases in a few of their songs, although they are pop/rock/punk. How the album's title was created is pretty neat, since it isn't just one of their songs off the record that is used as a title. It's a title of a story that Pete Wentz (the bassist) of the band favoured. From Under The Cork Tree, which is a story about a bull who chose to sit under the cork tree and sniff flowers rather than going into the arena and bull fighting, which shows that the moral of the story is to never listen to what other people think about you, and just go ahead and be yourself, no matter what anyone disapproves of. The lead singer (Patrick Stump) has an awesome new style of singing, although he's not the best singer in the world. Low notes are not really the easiest to sing, but he pulled them off quite well, and the high notes that he reaches sound really smooth and good. Although the album is overall pretty good, it sort of in a way irritates me when I listen to it for the hundredth time, since I know what to expect, and the songs seem all drab and boring. Their debut CD Take This To Your Grave, like many others say, is much better than their follow-up. // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics. Wow, what can I say? That Pete Wentz has mean writing skills. They're so full of power, inspiration, depth, soul. They're so meaningful, and emotional, although they definitely reject the comments that they are emocore music, even though their lyrics might be. The combination of the lyrics with the music is pretty well done, since the soft 'pop-ish' tunes have jumpy lyrics, about how 'they' love one girl, and how to get her to love them back, and etc, etc. Example 'Sugar We're Goin' Down.' Like I said, the singer is unique and has his own sound, his own 'thing.' That's what I love about bands/artists. Their own unique ability to become their own person. // 9

Overall Impression: I wouldn't really compare this album or this band in general, to other albums/artists, so this band has it really going for them. The most impressive songs from the album are Nobody Puts Baby In Corner (even though I prefer the acoustic), I Slept With Someone From Fall Out Boy And All I Got Was This Stupid Song Written About Me, XO. // 9

From Under The Cork Tree Reviewed by: talirak, on february 02, 2006

Sound: I'm going to tell you the truth, the titles of the songs are actually better then the songs, I like this album but it isnt an album that I would buy to a friend. It's something I listen when I'm happy it keeps me happy but not a lot more then that. The guitars are okay not really creative but give a good background, the drums are good but could be better. // 6

Lyrics: The lyrics are good probably something that kept me listening to this album, but the singers talent is not something I would like to see in every band he isn't one of my favorite singers, but the music fits really well with the music. // 8

Overall Impression: This album is really better then the first but is still not as good as we could expect. The songs I really like on this album is Our Lawers Made Us Change The Name Of This Song So We Wouldn't Get Sued and Dance Dance. What is great on this album is the compliance of the music and the lyrics if I lost this album I wouldn't buy it back I would go to listen it at my friend's house. // 7

From Under The Cork Tree Reviewed by: unregistered, on february 08, 2006

Sound: The first time I heard the name I thought of the Simpsons (my favorite show). This was about a year and a half ago. The first time I heard one of their songs I said "This is terrible!" The whole pop-punk musical wave that seemed to sweep the nation right after the whole "nu-metal" idea died disgusts me. It's mindless, thoughtless, ridiculously always face paced, whiny garbage. That's my opinion. So I never thought twice of Fall Out Boy. I'm driving home from work one day and I hear this punkish sounding band singing that song that I have no idea what he is saying because it sounds like a weird tonge-twister riddle or something, but I was it worked. And I came to the conclusion that I really liked this song. I didn't know why, this isn't the style of music I am into. But nontheless I really enjoyed it. I finally found out it was Fall Out Boy and I was like "Oh, no, what's wrong with me?" after hearing a couple of their older songs. I then heard Dance, Dance on the radio and had no clue who it was by for a few months and really liked that song. Once I found out I realized that this is a band, and this is a band that really gew. I had to buy their CD. That was it, I am hooked. I love this band. I even looked into some of their older stuff and there are a few good songs but this album, "From Under The Cork Tree" is full of a lot of great, original, yet familiar sounds that I haven't heard from any band since Breaking Benjamin or Crossfade. // 10

Lyrics: I've read many reviews on the lyrics of Fall Out Boy. Some say they are creative, some say they are ridiculous. They are witty, angry, catchy, and honest. Which in the end makes them unforgettable, which makes them great lyrics. There's a difference between writing lyrics and writing poetry. They are not poets. But they are amazing lyricists. I've been reading peoples silly quotes on the internet by them for months now, not knowing until I bought the CD that they were from this band. As for the singer's voice, he can sing, there is no doubt about it. He isn't an amazing vocalist but he's usually in key (there are a couple points that bother me) and is just relatabled. He sings every word in a way that makes you understand the way he feels even more than just by his clever words. // 9

Overall Impression: Overall this is a great album. My only problem with the whole album except for "Sugar, We're Goin' Down," all the songs have terrible endings. But I am able to get past that. The highlights of the album are of course the two singles "Sugar, We're Goin' Down" and "Dance, Dance" but once you hear those songs 2, 394 times on the radio in one months you're going to want to check out these songs. "Nobody Puts Baby In The Corner," "7 Minutes In Heaven...," "I Slept With Someone In Fall Out Boy..." and "XO." The whole album is very well produced and mixed and if I read one more review where they bash the guitars on this album I'm going to murder them. Listen closely, there is some talented and creative guitar-work here. Even the parts with just power-chords (which by the way have been used in all forms of rock forever to those who say people who use them have no talent) are sometimes played in a difficult and creative rythm. I would definetely recommend this CD to anyone who enjoys rock music. And if you're into heavier stuff just keep an open mind when listening. This is a great CD! // 10

From Under The Cork Tree Reviewed by: mullenmetal, on march 01, 2006

Sound: The catchiest band ever these guys can write a pop punk tune dare I say they put Blink 182 to shame on the catchy side. It's debatable whether they are emo or pop punk but for me, it's definatley pop punk meaning pop their catchy chorus's and punk the guitars and drums. I'm not sure if its better than their previous album but its a complete pop-punk triumph. But too others they will be annoying gay trying too be punk or any other insult like that but to those people remember they are doing what they want to do. // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics are suprisingly complicated maybe too meaningful for the pop genre. Because they are so talented for writing a hit they compliance with the music just a problem for Fallout Boy. Patrick Stump is a talented singer, not amazing. // 9

Overall Impression: Everbody else in their genre will scrathcing their head thinking how do they get so catchhy only Panic! At The Disco come close. There are few filler tracks that just are no good so it's obvious they concentrate on the single. So I suggest just to buy the singles when they come out but there is one album track thats good so if your a fan the albums a mus after a catchy tune buy the singles. // 8

From Under The Cork Tree Reviewed by: laxslinger, on march 02, 2006

Sound: This is truly a fresh, unique, fun CD. One thing that stood out for me were the prominent guitar sounds that are often hidden in today's pop/rock. It gave an edge to the music and kept it from being just another poppy sounding collection. There were no fillers on this CD, every song could stand on its own. Strong melodies and hooks are found all over this CD. The vocals are catchy and the lyrics can best be described as clever and ironic. Fall Out Boy definitely has their own sound. They do not sound like any other band and that is truly rare these days. This is what Simple Plan, Newfound Glory, etc all want to sound like. Look for a ton of Fall Out Boy copy bands to be signed soon! // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics really are what makes Fall Out Boy unique and original. Those that didn't enjoy the lyrics really just didn't get them. They have real depth, bitterness, humor and irony that is lost on the average 13 year old but I find fantastic (and I'm 35). These are lyrics that can be listened to and enjoyed for their seeming simplicity and rhymes or analyzed a little deeper and enjoyed on other levels. // 9

Overall Impression: I am very pleased with Fall Out Boy and eagerly anticipate their new CD. I hope their originality and success causes other aspiring bands to create their own sound and not just copy what is proven and popular at the moment. A great CD that is well worth the money. I'd throttle the punk who stole it but gladly buy another if it went missing. // 10

From Under The Cork Tree Reviewed by: my_last_hero, on march 08, 2006

Sound: Fall Out Boy is quite an amazing band. They definitely know how to put a tune together, and this album is clear evidence of that. The sound of Patrick Stump's SG thrown in with Joe Hurley's Telecaster is lovely. All in all, the guitars are never doing anything too difficult, but they mix with vocals and drums perfectly. I found it interesting that Pete Wentz wrote all of the songs, but Patrick is singing, that's pretty sweet, since most vocalists are also lyricists for the band. The sound overall is awesome, and the record never gets old. // 10

Lyrics: Personally, I consider Peter Wentz to be a lyrical genius. The use of metaphors is beautiful, such as in songs like "XO" and "Sophomore Slump Or Comeback Of The Year." Although Pete's writing ability is definitely up to par, you still have the cliches of other punk rock bands, e.g. fretting over losing a girl, hating the girl for leaving you, etc. All in all, the lyrics fit the style great, and Patrick sings them wonderfully. He is a very talented singer, and is a perfect fit with FOB. // 10

Overall Impression: This is probably one of my favorite albums that I own, and it is usually my first choice when going through my CD case in the car. Fall Out Boy is comparable to many artists, but they have that certain flavor that sets them apart from the crowd. My favorite songs are "XO" and "Get Busy Living, Or Get Busy Dying." Both tunes use wonderful lyric writing and melodies in the perfect mix. I love just about everything on this album, this is one CD I can listen to all the way through. If it were lost or stolen, I would most definitely go pick up another copy, it would definitely be worth the fifteen bucks to buy again. Fall Out Boy rocks, and I can't wait to hear what they'll give us next. // 10

From Under The Cork Tree Reviewed by: myampgoesto11, on march 13, 2006

Sound: Fall Out Boy mixes the powerchords of punk rocks and the lyrics of emo. And that's not a bad thing, in most cases. FOB's music is very catchy and easy to remember and it sounds good, unlike most punk-rock band. It probably appeals to more younger fans and girls (no offense, I know some girls are headbangers, most aren't) because of it has a lighter sound and because everyone goes through a phase when they listen to punk rock. But FOB sounds the same and gets boring. It all sounds the same, and again, it's boring, and you have to be a die-hard fan to be able to listen to the whole album at one time. Nevertheless, worth $10. // 7

Lyrics: Very catchy. Kinda emo, which does get annoying, but generally feels laid-back and relaxed, and has a twist of country throwm I'm sometimes. There really isn't more to say, besides that it seems that Patrick Stump cared about his lyrics and actually thought them through. // 9

Overall Impression: FOB is definatly worth listening to if you like punk rock and lighter emo, and worth listening to even if your not in to that kind of music. Probably the best songs are 7 Minutes In Heaven and I've Got A Dark Alley And A Bad Idea That Says You Should Shut Your Mouth for the way the lyrics and music seem to flow seamlessly. I'd love to see the lyrics stay the same, but make it a wee bit heavier and not punk rock. If it was stolen, yeah I'd buy another one, it's worth it. // 9

From Under The Cork Tree Reviewed by: RocKuH DudE, on may 18, 2006

Sound: Fall Out Boy really knows how to make great music. The sounds are great, the guitars, bass, drums and vocals fit greatly together. // 9

Lyrics: Oh the lyrics, the songs. The usual Fall Out Boy song titles, very long and sometimes, ironic or pointless. For example: "Our Lawyer Made Us Change The Name Of This Song So We Wouldn't Get Sued" that was like 1 line of the review! the lyrics though. They're bitter, insulting. But the way Patrick sings them. They're like tongue twisters, I can't understand what he's saying! especially in the song "Sugar, We're Goin' Down." I didn't understand the chorus very well. Although I can't understand it, the lyrics really go well with the song they're in. Patrick Stumph ain't really the best singer, but his voice really goes well with their songs, and he knows when to raise his voice, and when not to. // 9

Overall Impression: It definitely compares to others, cause Fall Out Boy is very unique, and most of the time, you can distinguish a Fall Out Boy song from a different artist's song. The most impressive songs for me would probably be: "Sugar, We're Goin' Down", "Dance, Dance", "A Little Less Sixteen Candles, A Little More Touch Me", "Of All The Gin Joints In All The World" and "Xo". I practically love most of the things about the album except probably when they make their voices metallic. If it were stolen or lost, I'd probably buy it again since it's an album worth listening to. // 8

From Under The Cork Tree Reviewed by: julioman, on may 29, 2006

Sound: Fall Out Boy has been gifted with two great guitarists, an awesome bassist, an excellent drummer, and a fantastic singer. The sound of this album is completely different from that of Take This To Your Grave, but not in a bad way. The lyrics and the instruments mesh together perfectly, and they are very nicely balanced. Although Fall Out Boy doesn't do very difficult stuff in their music (I'm 13, and I can play most of their stuff), they do it in such a way that it sounds very neat. The style they use is unmatchable, and the sound overall is fantastic. // 10

Lyrics: When I first listen to a Fall Out Boy song, I try to focus on the way the music sounds as opposed to what is being said, because usually, I cant really tell what the words are. Patrick has one of the greatest voices in music today, and the lyrics-once you understand them-stay with you. The song titles are original, which makes you remember them. The lyrics are really good, and the voice behind them is masterful. I like the way that the songs tell a part of a story. The words themselves are unlike any songs I have ever heard. Pete Wentz is a great writer, and Patrick Stump is a great singer. End of story. // 10

Overall Impression: When I first saw the music video for Sugar We're Goin Down on MTV, I wasn't really that impressed. At the time, I thought that Fall Out Boy was nothing special, just another wannabe emo punk band. However, when I got From Under the Cork Tree, it was a rather large shock how good they were. The mainstream left out some of the best songs on this album. With Sugar We're Goin Down, Dance, Dance, and A Little Less Sixteen Candles widely known about, its about times that people stopped listening to just the hits and started listening to all of the songs. When I first listened to songs like Nobody Puts Baby In The Corner and Xo I realized the best parts from From Under The Cork Tree werent just in 3 or 4 songs, they were in every song. The only song that I didnt exactly like was I've Got A Dark Alley And A Bad Idea That Says You Should Shut Your Mouth. What do I love about this album? Everything. What do I hate about it? Nothing. // 10

From Under The Cork Tree Reviewed by: littlesteph05, on june 02, 2006

Sound: Ok I can't really compare Fall Out Boy's lastest album with any of their older stuff as I have not heard any of it. I love the album it's really good, it's one of those ablums that could cheer you up when your down. The gutiaring sounds great and really simple. This is an ablums that you can sit down and chill to, or have a big party. // 9

Lyrics: I love the fact that most the titles on the album are long, it gives us more of a clue to what the song is about. the impression I get from some of the lyrics is that some make things sound better then they actual seem. For example: "She says shes no good with words but I'm worse". I love that fact that if you really put yourself in the song you can kinda understand the lyrics. I've never heard anything quite like them. as well as the druming, gutairing and bassest standing the sound of the vocals really stand out they are fanstic. // 8

Overall Impression: I think fall out boy have a simlar sound to panic at the disco (may be that should be the other way round but still). I loved track 10 "I Slept With Someone In Fall Out Boy And All I Got Was This Stupid Song Written About Me." I don't know why but yhis one really stood out. I do love the middle 8 section of this song, so it could be for that reason. This is one album I keep my eye on. // 9

From Under The Cork Tree Reviewed by: turnfoot, on september 30, 2006

Sound: I really am not a die hard fan of FOB, & if you read the comments below I even made some negative comments about this band. But I've had a change of light & decided to make this review anyway. I mean, I did buy the album. The music of FOB is typical punk-emo. With a little bit of screaming mixed in. They also have some incredibly catchy song. Songs that just make you want to jump around your room like crazy. Songs like Dance, Dance, Of All The Gin Joints In The World & Sugar We're Goin Down. Which is what I think made them famous in the 1st place. The way they made the songs is quite interesting. Wentz would write the lyrics, & Stump would write music to compliment that. I think that they really broke new ground with this album. Since I have never heard their kind of music before. But that alone didn't convert me into a FOB fan. FOB also seem to have a fetish for ridiculously long song titles. Most of which have no connection what'soever with the song itself. // 7

Lyrics: Even though I know that the FOB boys have deep meaning for their lyrics, it just doesn't work for me. I can't understand anything that Patrick's singing. But from what I can hear & read, I think that FOB has an obsession with sex. Since almost, if not, all of their lyrics have a reference or metaphor concering sex. Well, the lyrics go well with the music, I guess. In songs like Dance, Dance, the song just makes you wanna Dance. And since most of the lyrics don't make sense, the music that is applied to it sometimes sound a bit confusing. But Patrick's voice makes up for all of this. He has big range in his voice. He can hit high notes as well as sing in bass. // 5

Overall Impression: Well, I'd like to write my impressions on the songs, but the song titles are just too freaking long! In my opinion, there are better punk bands out there. Although I'm not a punk fan myself, I've heard bands like Blink 182, Simple Plan & Good Charlotte. And in my opinion these are much better bands. But this is due mostly to the fact that I'm also not an emo fan. The best songs would have to be Dance, Dance, Of All The Gin Joints In The World & Sugar We're Goin Down. The only thing that I liked about this album was the fact that it had a few catchy songs. But what I hate about it is that the rest are just confusing. If this were stolen, I wouldn't buy it again. But on the other hand, I wouldn't buy any CD twice anyway. Good CD, but just not something that I like. // 6

From Under The Cork Tree Reviewed by: LoveMCR, on may 11, 2007

Sound: The band definetly has a different sound than many bands out there. I don't really know much about the band. I think the band tried to be too mainstream in this record. Each song could easily be a hit song, because that is what would appeal to the majority of the population. // 6

Lyrics: I think the lyrics are too blunt and just too easy and plain to figure out. There isn't an underlying meaning, the things are just said out loud, for anyone to hear. I'm not sure about the music/vocals combo. Some songs seemed like they were half-assed. I think the singer is very talanted and could, if he tried, be very successful. // 5

Overall Impression: In my opinion, no band should be compared to another, but this band could easly be compared to other in it's class. Honestly, I don't think any song stood out on this album. I like that the songs were original and each had their own feel, but I disliked how each song kind of sounded like the previous one with such a punk/pop feel to it. I would not buy this album again if it were solen, I would rather listen to 50 Cent (and I hate rap). // 6

More Fall Out Boy reviews rating latest review