Infinity On High Review

fall out boy: Infinity On High
Release Date: Feb 6, 2007
Genres: Alternative Pop/Rock, Emo, Punk-Pop
Label: Island
"Infinity On High" has amazing sound, everything is right. Not too much of one or the other, and not to little of one or the other.
 Lyrics: 8.2
 7.3
 8.3
 6.2
Infinity On High Reviewed by: LOVECANTSAVEYOU, on february 14, 2007

Sound: I know the album isn't out yet and it's not that I downloaded it, I pre-ordered it and it came early. I have always thought that Fall Out Boy had a great sound. Even all the way back, 4 years ago to Take This To Your Grave. Infinity On High has amazing sound, everything is right. Not too much of one or the other, and not to little of one or the other. I also like how the have Jay Z in the beginning. I hate rap, but I think that Jay Z is cool and he was the right guy to do it. In "The Take Over, The Breaks Over" The guitar solo is by Ryan Ross and Chad Gilbert. I like how they have guests in there albums. I think that this is the best drumming Andy has ever done. When they were recording the album Pete would always say in the journals how he thinks that this is the best that Andy has ever done. I agree with him 100%. The sound is too much to explain. // 10

Lyrics: I think that Pete Wentz has an amazing talent of putting words to paper. I also think that Patrick Stump has an amazing talent of singing those words. The lyrics are so amazing such as how in "Thriller" they talk about there success. "Last summer we took threes across the board. But by fall we were a cover story, 'Now in stores'." "This Ain't A Scene, It's An Arms Race" has great lyrics too, especially in the second verse. "Hum Hallelujah" has one of the best lyrics on the album. I love the chorus. "Thnks Fr Th Mmrs" has some amazing ones too. I also like how they abreviated the name. I dunno little things amaze me. I really love the title, "You're Crashing, But You're No Wave". The song is good too but I'm in love with the title. The music goes amazingly well with the music I would have to say. And Patrick has one of the best voices in the whole world. He has never had a singing lesson, and his voice has matured so much. I love his voice. // 10

Overall Impression: Fall Out Boy is a lot like other artists, but no one can do there stuff quite as well as they can. The best songs on the album would have to be, "Thriller", "This Ain't A Scene, It's An Arms Race", "I'm Like A Lawyer With The Way I'm Always Trying To Get You Off (Me + You)", "Hum Hallelujah", "Thnks Fr Th Mmrs", " Do You Know Who I Think I am?", "Bang The Doldrums", "Fame < Infamy", and "You're Crashing, But You're No Wave". I love everything about this album, and I would definantly but another copy if it was stolen or lost. I will probably end up with like 5 copies of it anyway, hah. I really don't think I hate anything about this album. It's amazing. I love these guys. // 10

Infinity On High Reviewed by: takenthecannoli, on april 02, 2013

Sound: Fall Out Boy was one of a few bands (the others including Panic! At The Disco, My Chemical Romance, and The All-American Rejects) that exploded in 2004 and 2005 across the iPods of teens the world over with "From Under The Cork Tree". Fusing pop-punk with some of their softer brand of hardcore (the band's members having originated from the hardcore scene), the album took off with lead singles "Sugar, We're Going Down" and "Dance, Dance". There was also an incident involving songwriter/bassist Pete Wentz exposing himself on the Internet, but there isn't a single, solitary chance on earth that the band's publicity was in any way affected by it. When not occupied with his camera phone, Wentz pens achy breaky heart anthems filled to the brim with tongue-in-cheek, irony, and the occasional darker romantic theme. Giving lyrics voice is singer/guitarist Patrick Stump, who took a backseat on "Cork Tree" to the word play, along with guitarist Joe Trohman and drummer Andy Hurley. With an exploding reputation, the band sought R&B's Babyface to take up some of the production work, leaving most of it to Fall Out Boy regular Neal Avron. The band aimed to ride the wave of "Cork Tree"'s massive success with 2007's "Infinity On High". Ride the wave, it does. Apart from the bizarre Jay-Z appearance and the almost-pretentiously titled "Thriller", Fall Out Boy opens with about the same formula as last time. Though the skeletal outline is where the similarities between "Thriller" and the opener of "Cork Tree" end, there's an odd feeling from the outset that the intention to utilize the previous record's success was followed a bit too closely. Lyrically, they are nearly identical. Both describe the band, its intentions, and even its fans ("Brothers and sisters, put this record down/Take my advice, 'cause we are bad news" in the former, with "Our hearts beat for the die-hards" this time around). The production isn't much different, though "'The Take Over, The Breaks Over'" which is, indeed, titled with quotation marks sounds more open than anything on "Cork Tree", and the rest of the album follows suit. It's actually a bit overwhelming at times. The album may sound open, but there's a lot less in the way of sound itself. Yes, "This Ain't A Scene, It's An Arms Race" has a bit of an R&B vibe and "Golden" is a wonderful piano solo for Stump, but all-in-all, "Infinity On High" breaks more from "Cork Tree" than from itself. Variety is the record's worst enemy in both lyrical and musical content, with everything after "Don't You Know Who I Think I Am?" (the eighth track out of fourteen, mind you) having the same basic structure and the same degree of variation; each track only slightly builds upon the last. Even in building, the pieces fail to stack anywhere near the highs of "Cork Tree", with every track feeling longer, slower in pace (not just tempo), and generally less fun. Guitar work is still at the center of Fall Out Boy's musical tootsie pop: pop-punk-ish guitar work is at every turn, though a couple of solos have been thrown in. Drums are slightly more important (albeit slightly less interesting) than on previous releases. Sadly, two of the most lively tracks b-sides "It's Hard To Say 'I Do' When I Don't" and "G.I.N.A.S.F.S." - didn't make the cut. Though it sounds little like its predecessor, "Infinity On High" certainly does ride the wave of "Cork Tree" and of its own presumed fame. The record is bizarrely self-important, uncomfortably insecure, and at times desperately flat. It is as good as much of "Cork Tree", but repeatedly looks over its own shoulder for assurance. The stretch from "This Ain't A Scene..." to "Don't You Know..." is the record's highlight, and has enough blind fun to sneak the second half in, but if Wentz would stop writing about fame, perhaps the party might have gone on anyway. // 6

Lyrics: While Wentz manages a prolonged leak on the core of the album, he does slip in the usual slightly-too-self-aware lyricism. "I'm a stitch away from making it/And a scar away from falling apart" is among some of the blander emotive lines, but the honest performances sound as good as anything the band is capable of, with "Golden" being a particular triumph. At other times, however, Wentz nearly falls into the trap often flaunted within the genre: hyperbole. Whether the band actively participates or not, the emo culture with which their fans are so fascinated are overflowing with bands that exaggerate every topic possible, from Simple Plan's infamous "How Could This Happen To Me?" to Good Charlotte's "Chronicles Of Life And Death" record. Specifically, these bands have a tendency to bask in whatever subject they write about as if receiving divine inspiration about ideas no one else could possibly have had. It's the opposite of what makes writers like Waits and Dylan so intriguing: subtlety. Far be it from Wentz to abandon it altogether, but whether it be fame, sex, suicide or depression, he cuts it close this time around. // 6

Overall Impression: Though a somewhat frustrating record, "Infinity On High" comes packed with nice lyrical moments, a greater range than on "Cork Tree", and some phenomenal performances from Stump. It does, far too often, flounder in its own formula. The sleeve is emptied of tricks by "Thnks Fr Th Mmrs", and though nothing after is hard to listen to, it isn't nearly as involving as the mach speed final stretch of "Cork Tree". If Wentz would put his junk away instead of rubbing it or its sensation, perhaps all over the record, perhaps Fall Out Boy could resume the steep climb to a profound self-realization and truly noteworthy musicianship.

// 6

Infinity On High Reviewed by: belavista man, on february 14, 2007

Sound: The sound of this album is so mind blowing that it forces you to believe that your listening to the very essence of music, that what your hearing is the very thing that electric guitars and bass were invented for. No other band can get this sound. No matter what band you can come up with, this sound is incredibly unique. You can get bands who have a similair sound (e.g. Panic! At The Disco) but if you compare albums, this will always come out on top in its own field of music. // 10

Lyrics: All of the lyrics link to the meaning of the song. All have been thought about. Plus the songs seem to become embedded into your mind and once you've heard them, you can't help but sing them for the rest of the day, or month depending on how fond you are of the song. The singer (Patrick Stump) sings his lyrics with the ease and grace that a singer should sing with. He is a truely talented singer/guitarist/songwriter. // 10

Overall Impression: This album features the two fantastic singles, This 'Ain't a Scene, It's An Arms Race' and 'The Carpel Tunnel Of Love', both of which are great although they arnt the best tracks on the album. If another single is to be realeased, I think that it would be between 'Thnks fr th Mmrs' and 'I'm Like A Lawyer With The Way That I'm Always Trying To Get You Off (Me + You)' because, to me, both are better than the two singles that have been released already. This album couldn't have sattisfied my expectations more than it has. Will probobly be the best thing to be released this year! // 10

Infinity On High Reviewed by: unregistered, on march 06, 2007

Sound: The sound of this CD was much like From Under the Cork Tree. Sure it was good, but not new or too diiferent. I think I expected more from the CD, so I was down on it quite a bit. Arms Race and another song on there were supposed to be hip hop tracks, quoted from the artist, but that is not the Fall Out Boy I listen to. It threw off the whole CD. But otherwise, the music behind the words was pretty good. // 7

Lyrics: The meaning of the lyrics seem a little more hidden. Before, the words were easy to decipher, but when I spent time thinking about these lyrics, I stood baffled. The lyrics fit with the music, especially the way Patrick wrote the music to express Peter's feelings. I caught exactly how Pete may have felt. Patrick added too many high-ish notes where they don't belong, the music and the high notes were slightly iffy. Patrick is an amazing singer, but he's seemed to slack off a bit lately. // 8

Overall Impression: When I heard this CD was coming out, I was there on the day it came out. This is definatly one of the funnest CDs I own. Althogh Pete's words may be serious, it is still laughable. Golden and Don't you know who I think I am? were the best songs on the CD. I hated the Jay-Z intro to Thriller, but change is supposed to be good, and the boys are getting to meet new people and make new friends. So I'm happy with it either way. // 7

Infinity On High Reviewed by: mka12992, on february 14, 2007

Sound: Fall Out Boy has achieved a fantastic album with great sound there are some songs on this CD that stay true to the Fall Out Boy form, but there are also some that stretch beyond the typical Fall Out Boy song and one ("You're Crashing But You're no wave") shows a deeper, darker, more meaningful lyrical style for them. My impression of the "new" sound? I think that both the old and the new sound are brilliant, although the new sound is a great change and as a whole makes the album better and less recycled. The album cover seems to have a "fairy tale theme" which is mostly unattatched to the album as a whole. // 10

Lyrics: Rundown of the songs: 01. Thriller - great song with an intro by Jay-Z (which almost makes me skip the song) I think the song has okay lyrics not the best not the worst. 02. The Take Over, The Breaks Over - I really like the bouncy feel to this song and it is definitely a great song, one of my favorites. 03. This Aint A Scene, It's An Arms Race - I really liked this when it first came out but has gotten pretty stale still not bad. 04. I'm Like A Lawyer With The Way I'm Always Trying To Get You Off (Me & You) - really dig this one it kinda sounds R&B-ish this may make or break the album for you. 05. Hum Hallelujah - great song the choir singing halleleujah hallelooo is a nice touch. 06. Golden - mellow not the best but still really good. Reminds me of Cancer alittle (off the Black Parade) with the style buit not the lyrics. 07. Thnks Fr Th Mmmrs - good song really sexual, even for FOB. shrt lng title is kind of immature though. 08. Don't You Know Who I Think I Am? - 3 words: second best song. 09. The (after) Life Of The Party - another mellow song great song though. In my opinion better than golden. 10.The Carpal Tunnel Of Love - geaviest on the album no doubt. Still catchy screaming isn't amazing and wasn't needed, I still like it though. 11. Bang The Doldrums - great song Decididly piratey, you'll see what I mean. 12. Fame < Infamy - my favorite musically tied with the next song. 13. You're Crashing But You're No Wave - this is the big one great song unique for this band the reason it gets a 10. Should've been the last song due to the ending with the crowd and just because it leaves you in awe. 14. I've Got All This Ringing In My Ears And None On My Fingers - great song not too heavy not too light the chorus as always is catchy despite the darkness in Pete's lyrics. Pete's lyrics still focus mainly on women but are still brilliant in my opinion. // 10

Overall Impression: Many already have chosen (love or hate) whether they like this band or not, I say try it no matter what. I've had people who hate the band like the CD and people who love them hate it, I've also had them love both and hate both. I love the newer song and don't hate anything but get mad sometimes that the whole CD wasn't like a new approach for them. I'd buy this CD again if I forgot it at my house and I was on a vacation so definitely I'd buy it again if stolen or lost. // 10

Infinity On High Reviewed by: MetalBassist93, on february 14, 2007

Sound: Fall Out Boy's sounds have always been varied in every track of all of their albums. This statement goes no less in their newest CD titled "Infinity On High". From "Thriller", which gives heavy guitar riffs in the instrumentals as well as melodies, to Golden, which has piano and vocals that make up most of the song and slows down the pace a little from the fast paced beats. On the last track, "I've Got All This Ringing In My Ears And None On My Fingers", it is mainly made out of horn instruments and the piano, which sounds a little jazzy, but then gets back to it's rock roots with the guitars, drums, and bass. Overall, the sounds in this records sound incredibly well from song to song. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics in this CD somehow make sense, even though in Fall Out Boy's previous albums, From Under the Cork Tree, Take This To Your Grave, Fall Out Boy's Evening Out With Your Girlfriend, Split, and My Heart Will Always Be The B-Side To My Tongue, hadn't really given a true meaning to them. There is a great improvement to Pete's writing skills from their beginnings to now. Patrick's vocals have gotten higher pitched than before, but that adds a better sound and blends in with the instruments. Pete's and Joe's vocals add a lot more to the songs, since they sing more than their previous CDs. // 10

Overall Impression: The top 5 songs in "Infinity On High" are (in my opinion) Fame < Infamy, Thriller, The Carpal Tunnel of Love, Don't You Know Who I Think I am?, and Hum Hallelujah. Many genres have influenced the whole of this CD, such as jazz, pop, heavy metal, classical, and a lot more. The best part of Infinity On High was that there was a greater effort put in by Pete, Patrick, Joe, and Andy to create each and every song. There is actually nothing to dislike in this CD, since it gives so much creativity and leaves you off in a great mood after each song. // 10

Infinity On High Reviewed by: unregistered, on february 14, 2007

Sound: The majority of the people on this planet became a fall out boy fan because of the song "Sugar, We're Going Down." I know that's when I was. I am a rock and roll/heavy metal fan and musician. I heard that song on the radio one day, and for some reason, absolutely loved it. Every band has a label, be it metal, emo, pop-punk (which is what FOB used to be, ) etc. When I heard this song I was knew it fell under some kinda of pop category, but it was different. I actually liked it. I eventually had to get the CD and fell in love with it. Yes "From Under the Cork Tree" was a fusion of pop-punk/pop-rock, but they had some kind of style that wouldn't let me go. It was a very good cd. Listening to their music before this CD was realease, I realized they were very much punk to pop/punk. But for some odd reason I still loved the sound of these guys. They could just right music in any genre and it would probably sound amazing. And that is exactly what they did on their second major label release, "Infinity On High." I have no category to put them in anymore. They are just a rock band. I can't even call them pop-rock becuase some of their material is too heavy for that. The album ranges from fast to slow, from whiny to insightful, from anything you can thing to the exact opposite. They weren't trying to do anything (just like they never were) but have set the bar for what any rock album should be. Exactly what the artists want it to be. This album is a must have for ANYONE who loves rock music and have is open-minded enough (which I wasn't until this band)to let go of their 'poppy' feel. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics of Fall Out Boy are what were always first noticed by any new listener. They have a know-it-all, smart-aleck, back off, I don't care what you thinkg, We're doing this for us attitude about that. And it's hard to do that without people hating you. How do they do it. They are clever about it. They are funny at times, and make you think at others and the devliver by lead singer (Wentz) is almost harmless and at times desperate that you can't get mad at the harsh words. The lyricist of the group (Stump) knows how good he is with a pen. He even says it on the album. // 9

Overall Impression: This is by far my favorite CD to come out since System of a Down's "Hypnotize" and "Mesmerize." But what this band has done for me is open my eyes to whole other world of music out there that I was too stubborn to see. Panic! at the Disco has a great CD out. If it weren't for FOB I would've never have given them a glance. As metal fans we tend to like to be rebellious to things that everyone loves, such as pop-rock. But when a band can do it with such charm, talent, and charisma, I've realized it shouldn't matter what they are categorized, as long as it sounds good. This will most likely be my favorite album of this year (and it's only February.) It's everything you can ask for on a rock CD! Best songs: "Thriller", "This Ain't A Scene," "Thnks Fr Th Mmrs", "The (After) Life Of The Parter" and "Band the Doldrums." // 10

Infinity On High Reviewed by: buba1986, on february 14, 2007

Sound: Well I've been a huge fan of Fall Out Boy for quite a while now and I love all there records but 'Infinity On High' goes behond love, it's an amazing piece of pure, up-beat, catchy, not emo, Dancy, rocking music and has a far different sound and feel compared to there previous albums but in a good way. Tracks like first single 'This Aint A Scene, it's An Arms Race', 'Thnks Fr Th Mmrs', 'Fame<Infamy' and the ultra catchy 'Iv'e Got All This Ringing In My Ears And None On My Fingers' (which has the most Rocky like intro ever) have the anthemic sing-along choruses in bundles. // 10

Lyrics: I reckon the lyrics are just brilliant and different in places. most noticable in 'This Ain't A Scene' where they mainly try to prove to those emo labeling tw*ts what they are really about. Singer Patrick Stump with his great singing voice really sings his heart out on songs like 'I'm Like A Lawyer' and 'Golden' (Fall Out Boy's first and great attempt at a piano ballad) where what I think he sings about is basically him realising he was wrong about something and having to face up to his enemies. The whole album deals with everything from love/loss and proving a point which I reckon everyone can relate to. // 10

Overall Impression: Compared to there previous albums, I really do think this could be one of there best and I seriously recommend to anyone who hasn't got it yet and those who need a bit of top class pop/punk rock on there ipod or mp3 player, to go out and buy it. Tracks that I reckon are a must to listen to are Thriller, This aint a scene, I'm Like A Lawyer, Thks Fr Th Mmrs, Fame < Infamy and I've Got All This Ringing (sorry I coudn't be bothered typeing in the whole of the song names, there so damn long) but overall, 'Infinity on High' is a defonate must for any FOB fan. // 10

Infinity On High Reviewed by: nfldguitarist, on march 05, 2008

Sound: Another album I can't believe I was forced to listen to, well here we go it's time to dive headward into bubblegum emo that is Fall Out Boy, well here we go. Listening to the songs as a whole I can say that Fall out boy have gotten even more commercial on there new release, ya I couldnt believe it either. Listening to the songs I find very boring, there different that's for sure but they are so vocally driven and soft that it doesn't seem right that this album is called alternitive rock, isnt that genre supposed to be exciting, this album is so vocal driven to give any indication that any thought of rock or punk even went into there heads on here. Fall Out Boy are the typical high selling band to day.they started off thinking that it would get them money and it did. They just have the feel of buisness men in there music, My Chemical romance at least had a passion in there crappy music and god awful singing, but Fall Out Boy is just to poppy to make exciting rock music. The production was pretty average, it was straightforward. It was boring to but atleast the producer did his job. // 1

Lyrics: The lyrics were alright, they seemed kind of weird like a teenage diary put to music, I guess that's how emo should be and some people may like it but I never really liked it and probably never will. The lyrics were obviously written before the music the way some of it syncs up but I mean Pete Wentz can't write that well. I can't get over Patrick Stumps weird vocals he sounds like a lower version of Gerard Way. He doesnt't take playing guitar or singing seriously at all I don't think. // 1

Overall Impression: I hated Fall Out Boy's first album less than this one. This album is easily Fall Out Boy wanting a bigger taste of money than they had. The songs are really catchy and as much as hate to admit it I think that Fall out boy are probably gonna be around for awhile. I hate how boring this album is. If anyone wants to steal it have it, I would probably end up losing this on purpose and wouldn't buy it again. // 1

Infinity On High Reviewed by: iamarocker06, on february 14, 2007

Sound: Wow, FOB has come some ways sing FUCT, and it shows. They have evolved more as a band. There is still a lot of classic bar chord choruses like Sugar, We're Goin' Down, but they funky it up a bit. This Ain't A Scene, It's An Arms Race is the first single, it has a bit of an R&B feel during the verses, but as me and my friend discussed, hey for them, it really works. There is also a bit of funk goin on in "The Take Over... It shows them evolving. But one of the best songs I have ever heard from FOB and many other artists is Thnks Fr Th Mmrs. It has great sort of MCR/FOB mix feel to it. My least favorite though is (Me & You). I don't know why I just don't like it a lot. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are so amazingly catchy. Especially This Ain't A Scene. The lyrics fit perfectly with Patrick Stump's voice, somehow everything clicks. And you hear Pete and Joe in songs like The Carpel Tunnel Of Love, screaming. Yeah, I know FOB screaming is weird, but it shows them exploring, but it's also not half bad. There is also a lot of "choir" singing. Where everything goes quiet and a choir sings the chorus. Lyrics overall? Great job for these guys! // 9

Overall Impression: The band has changed sound and everything else along the way, but it's still just as good (if not better) than FUCT. Everything now is so amazingly catchy in this album that it's hard for me not to like. I have a bunch of people wanting to borrow it, but I don't want to let it go. For any FOB fan, you will truly love this. My personal favorites are: This Ain't A Scene, It's An Arms Race, Hum Hallelujah, Thnks Fr Th Mmrs, Thriller and The Take Over, The Break's Over. Go out and buy this record, you will not be dissapointed, well, I wasn't. // 10

Infinity On High Reviewed by: DVT, on february 14, 2007

Sound: The guitars are very well organized, and the Drums keep a very great beat that couples well with the other instruments. With special vocals from Butch Walker on "You're Crashing, But You're No Wave" and a Piano Ballad with the song "Golden" this album is very diverse. Many of the songs on it continue with the sounds of both "From Under the Cork Tree" and "Take This to Your Grave", like "The Take Over, The Breaks Over", and "I'm Like a Lawyer with the Way I'm Always Trying to Get You Off (Me & You)". The Sound of this album is better than "From Under The Cork Tree" over all. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics in this album are very deep and to get the full aspect of them a person has to listen to them very carefully. The words cover such topics as: The growing Emo Genre in music("This Ain't a Scene, It's an Arms Race"), Lost Love("I'm Like a Lawyer with the Way I'm Always Trying to Get You Off (Me + You)"), and the One Night Stand("Thnks fr th Mmrs"). Patrick Stump has a great voice and shows it off in this Album, giving great emotion and strength to every song, especially in the song "Golden". // 10

Overall Impression: With the breakout success of "From Under the Cork Tree", Fall Out Boy had to try to top that great album, and they did just that. Not only did they outdo the last album, they went above that with better music, larger variety of songs(while still keeping with the styling of the last album), deeper lyrics, and overall better presentation. This band is getting better as musicians as well as Peter Wentz getting better as a lyricist. Since this album has so many great songs, in my opinion I would say the best songs are: "Thriller", "This Ain't a Scene, It's an Arms Race", "I'm Like a Lawyer with the Way I'm Always Trying to Get You Off (Me + You)", "Golden", "Thnks fr th Mmrs", "Fame < Infamy", and "I've Got All This Ringing in My Ears and None on My Fingers". So far the best by Fall Out Boy, By Far the Best. // 10

Infinity On High Reviewed by: Fatally Jon, on february 14, 2007

Sound: We're back with another Fall Out Boy album. This means more power chords, quick drum beats and overly sarcastic lyrics, right? Well, yes and no. It is the same Fall Out Boy we've grown to love/hate, but there's something more upbeat and more stylish on "Infinity On High". There are still catchy riffs and pumping energy, but it's just gotten a lot better. The production quality is spectacular, what with Babyface and all, and there's more cameos, including a particularly hilarious intro by Jay-Z on "Thriller". // 9

Lyrics: The best description of the lyrics could be that they are sarcastically self conscious. They know that they're Fall Out Boy, and they know what people think of them. Yet they've still got some of the biggest balls in the music industry for sticking to what they love to do. You've still got the somewhat "emo" lines, such as "Sometimes we take chances, sometimes we take pills". Not the most lyrically insightful pieces, but it's catchy and it's something people can sing along to. Patrick's voice has seemed to improve a lot, as well. He's stepped back a bit from the normal whine to lay down some almost soulful vocals. // 10

Overall Impression: You've heard Fall Out Boy before, and this is them. They've changed in terms of production and overall feel, but they're still sticking to what they do best. They don't get bogged down in "oh, is this riff technical enough?" or "let's write a song about war and how bad it is!" I'd rather listen to an honest band than a band too stuck up in message and technicality, and I think that's what music should be. You should just listen to it, without overanalyzing it. "Infinity on High" just rocks. It's an enjoyable album from a band that stays real to itself. Key tracks include "This Ain't a Scene, It's an Arms Race", "Thriller", "Hum Hallelujah", "'The Take Over, The Breaks Over'", "Thnks Fr Th Mmrs", and "The Carpal Tunnel of Love". // 10

Infinity On High Reviewed by: H4602, on february 19, 2007

Sound: The sound has changed on some songs since 'From under the Cork Tree' but on others they are classic Fall out Boy. I think the album is a bit more 'hip-hop' than the previous ones. This shows in tracks such as "Thriller" with guest vocals from Jay-Z and the new single "This Aint a Scene, It's an Arms Race" where there is much more hip-hop verses and you can easily tell the differnce when the chorus hits. But this isnt in any way a bad thing. There is some great guitar work on "The Take Over, The Breaks Over" with a great riff and a guest solo (probably one of the only ones in the album and any other FOB albums). There are slower songs such as "Golden" which didn't appeal much to me. The best vocal work on the album is in the chorus of "The Carpal Tunnel of Love" where Patrick Stump gets his voice to great levels. There are various guests throughout the album such as already mentioned Jay-Z, Ryan Ross the guitar solo from "The Take Over, The Break's Over" and in "Hum Hallelujah" there is a choir featured. // 7

Lyrics: Bassist Pete Wentz writes the lyrics here and there are many different things he writes them about. Yes, a lot are about women such as in "Thnks fr th Mmrs" but there are other subjects he talks about such as getting back to work with the band and winning in "Thriller". In "Hum Hallelujah" the lyrics are about Pete's addiction. The "This Ain't A Scene, It's An Arms Race" lyrics really give it away when you listen to them/watch the video. Patrick Stump's voice matures every album. He has a great voice, I would say his best work is in "The Carpal Tunnel of Love". The one song that didn't really appeal to me is "Golden". It's vocals and a piano which reminds me of a poor version of MCR's "Cancer". // 8

Overall Impression: I think it's a bit too hard to say it all in a few paragraph's so I'm going to break it down into each song: 01. Thriller - guest vocals from Jay-Z it's one of my favourties from the album. The lyrics are about getting back on the scene with FOB and basically just winning. It introduces the album very well and is the best choice for an opener. Very catchy. 02. The Take Over, The Breaks Over - the best guitar work in the whole album probably. It has a lovely riff and after about a minute and a half the song really picks up. There is also a guest solo from Ryan Ross. 03. This Ain't A Scene, It's An Arms Race - the first song released from the album and also the first single. I was worried when I first heard it; the chorus is great but the verses are very hip-hoppy which might put some off. But eventually it grew on me and is now one of my favourites. 04. I'm Like A Lawyer With The Way I'm Always Trying To Get You Off (Me + You) - I never really got into this song and I don't have much to say about it. 05. Hum Hallelujah - this song is about Pete's addiction. If you read the lyrics they give that away. This song is overall good and it features a choir that sings "Hallelujah" which is a nice touch to the song. 06. Golden - my least favourite song on the album. It's nothing but piano and vocals and is probably the shortest song on the album. It very much seems like a filler song and a poorly done version of MCR's "Cancer" like I've said already. 07. Thnks Fr Th Mmrs - a good, fast paced song here. One of my favourites from the album. Some good lyrics here to they are about women again. It's very catchy and an overall great song. 08. Don't You Know Who I Think I Am? - one of the shorter songs on the album but I like it. There are a lot of "Oh oh oh's" and there seems to be a little clapping sound throughout which I like. There is some good drumming here. I like the chorus a lot to. 09. The (after) Life Of The Party - a slower song but it is far better than golden. It has a good feel to it and I love the opening lyrics: "I'm a stitch away from making it and a scar away from falling apart". One of the best songs. 10. The Carpal Tunnel Of Love - probably, if not the best song on the album. it's the heaviest with some great guitar, drum and vocal work here. The chorus is extremley catchy and the breakdown is good to. 11. Bang The Doldrums - orginally was going to be titled "Yellow Checkered Cars". In an interview I read somewhere, Pete stated that this was to be the 'love' song on the album and I think it gives that overall feel. A good song, but not the best. 12. Fame < Infamy - the song title really says it all about the lyrics, but sound-wise this is nothing memerable. There are some violin effects if you listen very carefully which I liked. 13. Youre Crashing, But You're No Wave - I love the song's name. Not only is the title great, but so is the song. Another great song here has a great and catchy chorus and has a rather good bit at the end some harmonies done not by the band which would have made a great closer to the album. 14. I've Got All This Ringing In My Ears And None On My Fingers - you notice as soon as the song hits it sounds like they've been using some of Panic at the Disco's classical effects. It's an alright song, the chorus is very simple with the same line of lyrics it gets a bit boring. 15. G.I.N.A.S.F.S. - as you would expect for a bonus track, it's nothing special. The only thing I like about it is the strings used when the song slows down. So that's it. I think "Infinity on High" is a good album, but not amazing. It's worth going out and buying and if it were stolen or lost I would definately buy it again. I think the whole overall album has a different feel but I'm not sure why. I like how Fall out Boy has used a lot of differents effects and guests in this, but the album could have done with being a bit shorter. The songs it could do without are "Golden", "I've Got All This Ringing in My Ears and None on My Fingers" and "I'm Like a Lawyer with the Way I'm Always Trying to Get You Off (Me + You)". // 8

Infinity On High Reviewed by: gomezm149, on february 26, 2007

Sound: The sound was awesome! I loved how they incorporated different styles of music. The tunes are catchy, I mean almost all the melodies can be used during a whole day to describe what's going around you. The harmonies we're cool too. They just made me feel happy inside every time I heard them. I actually first heard Fall Out Boy's "From Under the Cork Tree." Ever since I've been trying to find and buy almost all their albums. I'll probably remain a loyal fan forever! // 10

Lyrics: Where do I start? They we're great! When I actually listen to them I can imagine what's going on and relate it to my life. They obviously thought all the lyrics out carefully to give people an awesome experience and something they can relate too. The lyrics also went great with the music. By this I mean if it was something exciting, the music made you excited. To me the music was kin of pushing the lyrics through, like they were more important. It was awesome! Patrick definitely did a good job in vocals. I just love to hear him sing. His voice is very pleasing and adds to the influence of the lyrics. // 10

Overall Impression: I actually first heard Fall Out Boy's "From Under the Cork Tree." Ever since I've been trying to find and buy almost all their albums. I'll probably remain a loyal fan forever! Me and my friends just sit around and sing songs from their albums when it was appropriate. For example we were watching "Law and Order" and when they we're in the middle of court me and my friend just had the urge to start singing "You're Crashing, But You're No Wave". It turned out pretty awesome cause the camera moved to the jury and stuff exactly when it needed too. I would definitely recommend this everyone out there. I'll tell you this: if it we're ever stolen I would first buy another copy and then go after the person who stole it just because it means so much to me. // 9

Infinity On High Reviewed by: JL Sevenfold, on february 26, 2007

Sound: When I first heard this CD, I imediately noticed how the band had changed since From Under The Cork Tree. Cork Tree was full of emo and screaming, but Infinity On High sounds a lot better, and definetly still has Fall Out Boy's massive amounts of energy. The first sound, Thriller, is basically a dedication to all the fans that have been there since the start, and sounds really cool, with the drummer even throwing in double bass patterns, something absent on Cork Tree. Some of their song names are still jokes, like Carpal Tunnel of Love and You're Crashing But You're No Wave, but the songs themselves generally sound better than Cork Tree. One of the best songs is the hit This Aint A Scene, It's An Arms Race, the song rocks, especially when it picks up in the choruses. Also, The Take Over, The Breaks Over is another great song, and really helps make the CD as good as it is. Overall, this is my favorite CD by Fall Out Boy. // 10

Lyrics: As with the sound, the CD's singing and lyrics have come a long way since Cork Tree. Patrick Stump still has his squeaky clean voice, which a perfect sound for the band, and the lyrics themselves have gotten better. Lines like "Wouldn't you rather be a widow than a divorcee?" (The Take Over, the Breaks Over) are a ton of fun to listen to and make the CD sound cooler. Also, the lyrics from Thriller are a cool dedication to all the fans from the beginning ("Long live the car crash hearts"). The songs have gotten even better with Stump's singing skills. // 10

Overall Impression: Like before, this is definetly my favorite album from Fall Out Boy, and is a must buy for anyone who has liked even one song by this band before. The best songs right now in my opinion are the first three: Thriller; The Take Over, The Breaks Over; and This Ain't A Scene, It's An Arms Race. Together, tey make for an awesome beginning to an awesome CD. If you're only thinking about downloading a few songs, think again because this whole CD rocks. I haven't heard anything I haven't liked, and I'm glad I have extra cash because if I lost this CD I would have to get it again right away. // 10

Infinity On High Reviewed by: thedeathbassist, on march 08, 2007

Sound: Fall Out Boy's new sound is great even though I'm sort of dissopointed because the masterpieces like "sugar were goin' donw and "a little less six teen candels" have completely killed by Fame > Infamy, Thriller, Carpal Tunnel Of Love, The Take Over The Break's Over, ect. I was so happy to get the new CD I was addicted to it. What I'm trying to say is that I love Fall Out Boy! // 9

Lyrics: Pete is perfect at writing the emotional lyrics in the new CD. He has the best scream in the history of man kind. and patrick has matured his voice soo much. Now he doesn't need to go so low in songs like "Love Will Tear Us Apart" and Joe has improved lots on his guitar skills and rythem. Andy is the drummer but he is still awesome. I'm not saying drummers don't rock I'm saying fall out boy does infact rock. // 9

Overall Impression: I don't think any CD will get my attention more than Fall Out Boy's new CD it will never leave my mind or my room. if it were ever stolen first I'd punch myself for letting it go. Then I'd but a new one. What I don't like about it is that guy in the start of Thriller. You know, the guy who says "For all the fans that helped us..." that the only thing I don't like. The best part is that robot that says "now press reapeat." // 10

Infinity On High Reviewed by: Yello_card-333, on march 09, 2007

Sound: Okay, every comment I've heard about the sound of this album is that "the guitarists suck and they sound like crap." They don't sound great, no, but the guitars get the job done. Also, I like how the band tries new things with this CD, like strings and horns. Many people dislike new CDs if the band doesn't sound exactly like it did on the last one, but I applaud bands for taking risks and going for something bigger. Besides, the guitars aren't really the focal point of this album. // 7

Lyrics: This is where I think this album has most of it's strength. Pete Wentz writes decent-to-good lyrics and Patrick Stump has become a much better singer. I like some of the background vocals, like those on "Hum Hallelujah" and "Thnks Fr Th Mmrs." Lyrics don't always fit with the music, but when they do, the songs sound great. My favorite example of this is "Thnks Fr Th Mmrs." // 8

Overall Impression: Good, not great. I would buy another if I lost it. Key tracks: The Take Over, The Breaks Over; Me + You; Hum Hallelujah; Thnks Fr Th Mmrs; Bang The Doldrums. I like the catchy songs in it, and some of the new experimentation by FOB on Infinity on High. I don't like the awkward songs such as "Golden," which doesn't seem to fit with the rest of the album. // 8

Infinity On High Reviewed by: Tster, on march 15, 2007

Sound: I don't think Fall Out boy is emo at all. Sure there music is a mixture of pop-punk to rock but it's still really good. There sound has changed slightly from 'Under The Cork Tree' which is a good thing it means the listeners don't get bored. From the title of song three and there first hit off this album you can tell they've try to take a bit of a different approach by making a song about a serious topic gun trafficking. But all in all the album if crazy and really good buy. Some songs a bit different maybe a tad slower but still good. // 8

Lyrics: As I said before they have tried to take a different apporach to some songs and taken a serious apporach which isn't always a bad thing if you can pull it off. They can. In one of the songs the singer of it say's "I'm a leading man" which sounds like "I'm an evil man" so yeah, there are some misunderstood lyrics but it's pretty good. There are some really cool parts in some of the songs which are quite orginal like the chorus of song 6. // 8

Overall Impression: I kind of like their album 'under the cork tree' maybe slightly more. I'm not saying this isn't a good album but in my opinion the other album might be a bit better. The more impressive songs have to be songs 1-8 and then there are the odd good songs. I love how it's a bit different from their other albums but I hate how 'From Under The Cork Tree' is a bit better. I would have liked to seen the album of their careers. If it was stolen I would look into buying it again when the price dropped and it's on sale. It's a awesome album altogether. // 8

Infinity On High Reviewed by: TOasty_HObO, on march 16, 2007

Sound: On this album the band made a great comeback. There last album had a lot of slow songs. Mostly depression. Now they have gotten to use a lot more different intruments. They have gotten make a lot new sounds and noises. The band wanted this CD to be around for about 10 years or so. They did a great job, alternative/rock, emo and punk pop. That is what Fall Out Boy has been for the last couple of years. It is awesome on how they invite artist for differnt bands to help with the cd. Ryan Ross, Chad Gilbert, Butch Walker and Jay-Z all famous and in the album. // 10

Lyrics: Pete wentz can write. Give him a paper and pen and let him go to work. Patrick also can put the words into the song. High pitch or a deep pitch. And the song golden proves that patrick can sing. His singing has improved since there last CD they have made. The guest singer on You're crashin but your no wave did great. The backup singing did a good job. The band knows how to scream and keep it under control. // 9

Overall Impression: The band did great the songs on this album are also great. Pete is the leader and he has brought this band along way. His lyrics and bass playing go together perfect. Patrick is really talented, sing and play the guitar is really hard. He's got that "power" to put the lyrics into the music. Andy Hurely nothing to say put he is pro. Keeping the beets and changing them without messing up the song. Joe and his guitar is one of the best things on the CD. In concerts I think he sticks out the most. // 10

Infinity On High Reviewed by: HawkNelsonGeek, on june 08, 2007

Sound: I like that they are an Alternative band, that uses a lot of distortion, harmonics, guitar solos, bass solos, and drum solos. The sound of Infinity On High is a little different from there last few albums. Instead of heavy guitar through all the songs( mostly still is), they have a soft song and a, just plain different, song. I really don't think this dissapointed fans. At least not me, for sure. // 10

Lyrics: First things first. I can stand Chorus (or it's the pre chrus) of "This ain't a scene..." They say That way to many times, and it offended me a little, but just that part, the rest is cool. Check out the videos too. My Favorite has to be Hum Hallelujah and Thriller. The lyrics are really worth listening to. Bang the Doldrums is kinda cool, too. Thriller I'd the best and then "I'm like a lawyer with the way I'm always trying to get you off(me and You)" that's really good. // 9

Overall Impression: My overall impression is that this is probably there best album, if not that the second best. I am really suprised they don't have any more hits on there album being played on the radio, than they do. I love alternative music, and they fit the void for that. // 9

Infinity On High Reviewed by: bry0n, on september 26, 2007

Sound: This is definently something new from Fall Out Boy. Pete Wentz has changed the way he has written, and the bands overall sound has differed from the underground-punk-rock sound to more of the popular punk rock sound. The songs seem to be focused around the media and it's impression of Fall Out Boy. The sounds of the famous "Thnks Fr Th Mmrs" and "This Ain't A Scene, It's An Arms Race" differ from each other, like so many Fall Out Boy songs seem to, but in a totally different way. Fall Out Boy used to differ their songs the way any punk rock band would, lyrics and key, but now they have the orchestra intro in "Memories" and the more hip-hop sound to "Arms Race". Then there is their opening, "Thriller". Not Micheal Jackson's famous, but a good song that get's little attention from the media. It has all the new sounds of fallout boy packed into one song. // 9

Lyrics: Pete Wentz has changed the way he has written. The lyrics don't seem to have a message hidden behind them, like in "The Pros And Cons Of Breathing", but seem to come almost straight out. The sounds goes great with the lyrics, but that makes it seem to lose some of it's Fall Out Boy-ish sound, the sounds us fans used to love. Patrick Stump has taken out his regualar singing styles and high voice, and have become more of a mids-singer, and has taken on to the more "yelping" style of singing, and his voice has lost it's emo. // 5

Overall Impression: This album is a new beginning for Fall Out Boy, but unfortunately and end to something else, something greater. While there is the good, but over-loved song "Thnks Fr Th Mmrs", songs like "Thriller" get almost no attention. I am almost dissapointed with Fall Out Boy for changing their sound so much. If I lost this CD (which wouldn't matter much with it on my iPod), I would probably go get "From Under The Cork Tree". Sorry guys, but I don't like much of your new stuff. // 6

Infinity On High Reviewed by: unregistered, on october 04, 2007

Sound: I wasn't really a fan of FOB when I got this album. I liked a couple of their songs but ultimately just thought of them as 'some emo band'. Then I heard 'This Ain't a Scene..' and 'Thnks Fr Th Mmrs' and I started to kind of raise my head and think, hmm they can't be that bad really. I like to think I have an ear for something pretty good. I heard 'The Take Over..' and I didn't really like it for a while, but it grew on me.. I would recommend this to anyone who is looking for something different as it has elements of a couple of different genres. // 9

Lyrics: I don't get the lyrics. Simple as. I guess only Pete Wentz really knows what he's talking about, and fair enough. I don't understand some of them either. Even now that I know most of them, for example 'This Ain't A Scene..' I still sing along 'I'm a little man, and I'm also evil, also into cats...' and 'This ain't a scene, it's a golf cart a--e face... ' Patrick Stump really wows me with his vocal range, he makes you want to close your eyes and sway, especially on songs like 'Golden' and 'I'm Like A Lawyer' // 8

Overall Impression: This is one of my favourite albums of the moment. My fave songs from it are 'Thnks Fr Th Mmrs', 'Golden' and 'I'm Like A Lawyer'. If this broke, I'd buy it again. Patrick Stump's voice rocks, and it doesn't hurt that he's incredibly cute either. This is one to listen to. // 9

Infinity On High Reviewed by: Jaded7, on april 02, 2010

Sound: Fall Out Boy was...and I say "was" with great pleasure as they have split up...a band that disgraced alt-rock during the mid-to-late 2000's with their emo lyrics and overall sound stolen right off of a Green Day album. In fact, writing this review absolutely pains me. It pains me to write about an album with no creativity or thought. But why review this album? Simply put: Infinity On High is so bad of an album that I felt compelled to listen to it again. Turns out it is even worse than when I last listened to it nearly two years ago. Every damn song--and by every, I really do mean every---sounds exactly the same. Now I do understand that every song on an album will share similairites. Take Pink Floyd's Dark Side Of The Moon; every song on there is trippy and psychadellic. Yet the difference between Dark Side Of The Moon and Infinity On High is that, even with major similarities, Pink Floyd was at least able to do more than the usual vocals-bass-guitar-drum shtick by including horns, pianos, organs, and a whole boatload of other instruments. With Infinity On High, it's anything but; just the typical vocals-bass-guitar-drum sound that sound like a lame Jimmy Eat World rip-off. I also understand that the vocals-bass-guitar-drum shtick is not a bad thing. Led Zeppelin did it in all of their albums. But at least they changed their sound after Led Zeppelin II. Green Day also did it after Dookie--and some can argue that they changed their sound before Dookie as well. With Fall Out Boy's Infinity On High, there is absolutely no variety; all of the songs on this album sound absolutely no different from their previous albums. The major factor that completely destroys the entire album is Pete Wentz's bass playing. Anyone who listens to punk know for a fact that punk normally has a strong bass sound. Pete Wentz's bass sound is so incredibly weak and, at times, so hard to hear that it's a wonder why he actually felt that he contributed something. // 2

Lyrics: The lyrics here are asinine bullshit. They didn't speak out to me at all--nor did they speak out to anyone I know. Infinity On High's lyrics normally consist of either going on a date with a girl while attempting to sound like a badass while using metaphors that would make anyone scratch their head. In fact, in the song "Carpal Tunnel Of Love", they use the metaphor "ice cream avalanche" to describe how "miserable and stunning" they are. It's like they didn't even try here. My guess is that they went to the studio and figured that no matter what they did, people would still buy their albums. It's kind of a shame that the lyrics are so bad, especially since lead singer Patrick Stump actually sounds like a singer with a small portion of potential. He hits the high and low notes quite well on some of the songs, actually. Unfortunately, the overall sound of the guitars and bass make his voice and singing ability less credible. // 1

Overall Impression: Everything Jimmy Eat World's Bleed American is, Infinity On High is not. There is no transition, the songs all sound the same, and the lyrics are garbage. The fact that I actually listened to it again before I wrote this review is just dreadful. It makes me wonder why I actually spent money on such a horrible album and why Fall Out Boy was such a succesful rock act a few years ago--that is if you actually want to call them a "rock" act. You want some good pop-punk? Then go listen to Green Day. // 2

More Fall Out Boy reviews rating latest review