Live In Phoenix Review

fall out boy: Live In Phoenix
Release Date: Apr 1, 2008
Label: Island
Genres: Alternative Pop/Rock, Emo, Punk-Pop
When the bandmates stick to their talents, Live In Phoenix shows them to be competent musicians who've been irrationally slandered by those outside the emo circle.
 6.3
 7.8
 4.7
Live In Phoenix Reviewed by: Carman101, on april 21, 2008

Sound: I just got the CD and DVD yesterday and I think it's deffinately the best Fall Out Boy have ever performed live. I think Fall Out Boy always have a good sound. They sound more like the original tracks on this CD than any other live performance, of course there are a few bits where they sing in a different key but it still sounds great. Also the recording of 'Beat It' is awesome! It sounds just like the Michael Jackson version but more of a rock version, Patrick also sang it very well, deffinately did not put the song to shame like some bands do when they try to remake a song that is already made. // 7

Lyrics: I've always liked the Lyrics Fall Out Boy use in their songs. Patrick has got a really good singing voice for singing the lyrics to the songs for a guy who hasn't had a singing lesson. I personally love the lyrics to 'Thnks Fr Th Mmrs' I think it's an awesome song. Pete Wentz also sings a little bit of Gothic Rock during some of the songs which sounds pretty good although, I ain't really a fan of gothic rock but it still sounds good. // 7

Overall Impression: This CD is pretty much songs Fall Out Boy already made in other Albums and they all sound a lot like the original songs. I think the most impressive song is 'Beat It' I think they did a really good job at singing and playing it. I love every song on the CD, there's not a thing I hate. I would deffinately buy it again if it got stolen/lost. // 7

Live In Phoenix Reviewed by: Jimmyiscool, on june 17, 2008

Sound: No surprises here. Fall Out Boy have never been that great live. The instruments are sloppy and vocals are, overall, weak. Across the board, I thought the drums were nice, but the rest was pretty bad. I have never been a fan of Pete's bass work, and, thankfully, they apparently forgot to turn on his bass on this album. I never noticed it once until Dance Dance. Even then it was quiet and lacking in any noticeable tone. I am a fan of this band, and their live experience is generally meant to be viewed and not just heard. // 7

Lyrics: This is a live album so all the lyrics are from other CDs. I have always been a fan of the wit and sarcasm. However, almost no lyrics are comprehendible on this album. Patrick consistently sounds like his mouth is full of marbles. // 7

Overall Impression: I will definately listen to this CD more in the future. It's not amazing, but what is? I really didn't like the Beat It cover. It's good for a live CD and is a fairly accurate representation of Fall Out Boy's talent. I was impressed most by Golden, which sounded nice on the piano. I have heard the other live version on Leaked in London, but I think that this one was much better. I may have disliked the pieces, but when they are put together they provide a nice time. // 8

Live In Phoenix Reviewed by: decaydance_rokk, on june 16, 2008

Sound: Fall Out Boy is really exceptional when it comes to rock. Some people who don't really listen to them or aren't fimiliar with their style of music are generally cautious about them. They aren't afraid to speak their mind and aren't afraid to do things differently. Live In Phoenix is a really amazing CD allowing us to hear them playing their music the way they want to without any boundaries. Patrick Stump has amazing vocals for someone who hasn't taken lessons and unlike some bands he doesn't need a huge sound board to alter his voice to make it sound good. Pete, Joe, Patrick, and Andy all show their true colors in this CD. // 9

Lyrics: Pete Wentz has a knack for putting words on paper. Allusions and metaphorical phrases are common in his lyrics. He adds a new demension to the rock genre, and is really insightful to the things going on in the real world around us. From Take This To Your Grave to Infinity On High, the songs that they love to play is on this CD/DVD and the lyrics are 100% amazing all the way through. It takes a real talent and passion for music to be able to write songs like Pete does. And making Patrick the lead singer was a wise choice. You can't get any better than that. // 10

Overall Impression: Fall Out Boy is an amazing band with really talented people playing intricate music that is important to them. Their songs are really beyond the standard rule. My favorites are: Calm Before The Storm (it has amazing guitar music, and the vocals and lyrics are really symbolic), Dance, Dance (it is a fun song to dance to believe it or not and the lyrics are something that some bands would be wary about writing) and I've Got A Dark Alley And An Idea That Says You Should Shut Your Mouth (it is an acoustic song overlaid with distortion and the lyrics really mean something to me; trying to overcome obstacles to achieve your dreams and knowing it's not easy), Golden (this is a complete stretch from the guitars, settling with piano and vocals. Patrick stump does an amazing job of this song on the live CD), Don't You Know Who I Think I am? (this song is about not giving up on relationships and life, that there is always something) and Thriller (talks about how successful they are even though they were told they wouldn't make it and the harmony of the guitars. Patrick again does an amazing job with this song on the live cd. Joe definetly shows his colors during the live performance in phoenix, changing up the rhythm and adding new solos). I didn't really hate anything about this album other than they didn't include all the songs from the concert. I love everything else though, they really went above and beyond. Two Thumbs Up! I would not lose this CD/DVD but if it were stolen I would have to buy it again. It's not something I could just say oh well it was stolen. If Fall Out Boy is planning on making a new album soon, they seriously need to follow their hearts and never listen to all the haters. And hopefully it will come out soon! // 10

Live In Phoenix Reviewed by: gomezm149, on august 29, 2008

Sound: If you have been or seen a live performance, you know what to expect. This album though, does have some improvement. It seems that they have concentrated more on adding grace notes and new solos to their music. Though, the singing and playing could use some more practice and improvement, they did an okay job. The sound also was very varied from song to song. It seemed as though there was some tweaking going on during the actual performance. It would have been a better performance if the lead singer would learn to project instead of shout-sing into the microphone, it would make his voice sound way better. // 5

Lyrics: The lyrics were the same as in previous albums, except for a couple variations. During the concert Fall Out Boy covered Akon's "Don't Matter," Micheal Jackson's "Beat It," Panic at the Disco's "I Write Sins Not Tragedies," and "One and Only." There is also a variation of Fall Out Boy's "Dance, Dance" at the end credits. This variation makes "Dance, Dance" a slow song. As I have stated before, the lead singer needs to work on his live performance. For some reason, it seemed as though he sang the covers of the songs listed above, rather well. // 8

Overall Impression: I really loved this CD/DVD for two reasons. The performance was eye-catching and enjoying to watch, and the extras included snippets of the band that let you into their lives a bit. I would suggest getting it if you're a Fall Out Boy fan, but if you're not, there's nothing really special about it. I probably wouldn't buy it again if it got lost or stolen. // 9

More Fall Out Boy reviews rating latest review