My Heart Will Always Be The B-Side To My Tongue [EP] Review

fall out boy: My Heart Will Always Be The B-Side To My Tongue [EP]
Release Date: May 18, 2004
Label: Fueled By Ramen
Genres: Emo, Punk-Pop
It offers fans an inside look at Fall Out Boy's history, as well as a sneak peek into what's to come in the next year.
 9.7
 6.2
My Heart Will Always Be The B-Side To My Tongue [EP] Reviewed by: Pharsti, on july 10, 2008

Sound: After wooing me to become a fan, Fall Out Boy seemed to keep campaigning for me. Before their breakthrough record "From Under The Cork Tree" was released, they released an Acoustic EP, "My Heart Will Always Be The B-side To My Tongue", in 2004. As expected, the EP is a five-track CD consisting of (you guessed it) all acoustic tracks. While this leads to a low variety in playing styles, the songs give off very different vibes, which keeps the album fresh as you go through tracks. From the upbeat "Nobody Puts Baby in the Corner", which was to debut on "From Under The Cork Tree" a year later, to the somber "Love Will Tear Us Apart", a Joy Division cover, listeners will have many strings of their emotions pulled as the listen. // 9

Lyrics: Patrick brings the singing voice and style popularized by "From Under The Cork Tree" to this EP, which not only gave listeners a peek on the new style, but also allows new fans to appreciate the album just as much. Lyrically, Pete continued with a nice flow of catchy choruses, large variations in vocal range, and some good themes for all the songs. Overall, the music just "works". It's sweet, it's sad, it's happy, and it's rocking, all at the same time. // 10

Overall Impression: Compared to other Fall Out Boy albums, this fits in perfectly. The same witty lyrics, cool riffs, and overall catchy songs are present, but as expected, the EP is short, which actually caused me to want more. If you can look past the length, any fan of Fall Out Boy, and even those who have never heard of them, will appreciate this album. // 9

My Heart Will Always Be The B-Side To My Tongue [EP] Reviewed by: Pickleboy03, on march 20, 2006

Sound: Well, this CD was made after "Take This To Your Grave" and is an EP with only five songs, but it comes with a DVD! The five songs are all acoustic and are only Patrick. It sounds very good and I enjoy the change up of sound, especially with Fall Out Boy being a very upbeat band. The CD even includes two songs you may recognize, "Grand Theft Autumn/Where Is Your Boy" and "Nobody Puts Baby In The Corner." It also has a cover song from Joy Division called "Love Will Tear Us Apart." This is a great CD, even though it is only five songs. // 10

Lyrics: Fall Out Boy's use of quirky lyrics is once again present on this CD. Even though they do have a cover song and a song they have already done, the other three songs are very original lyrically. This CD seems to be a bit darker compared to "Take This To Your Grave," considering it only has five songs, but the lyrics definately send a darker message, yet, they still seem to make the songs upbeat and catchy. // 10

Overall Impression: For five songs a great CD, but it also comes with a DVD. It is actually a very funny DVD. It contains the story, music videos for "Dead On Arrival" and "Grand Theft Autumn," a performance and some behind the scenes footage of the boys just hanging out together and with some friends. The performance is them performing at a New Years party that they host. Me and my buddies crack up at this DVD, enjoy the CD, and, considering it's a rare find, if you come across it, I would highly suggest buying it. // 10

More Fall Out Boy reviews rating latest review