Take This To Your Grave Review

artist: fall out boy date: 12/01/2008 category: compact discs
fall out boy: Take This To Your Grave
Released: May 6, 2003
Genre: Rock
Tones: Volatile, Cathartic, Wry, Ironic, Exuberant, Rousing, Plaintive, Energetic, Yearning
Styles: Hardcore Punk, Punk-Pop, Emo
 Lyrics: 9.2
 8.4
 9.3
 7.4
Take This To Your Grave Reviewed by: unregistered, on january 13, 2006

Sound: The sound on this CD sounds awesome. I love how Pete and Patrick mix their voices so well and with some other punk-pop bands their voices are distinct and that the voices aren't buried by the instruments. The only complaints on sound that I have is the bass really isn't heard that well in a lot of these songs. And the other complaint is that in the song "Saturday" I wasn't to impressed with Patrick's high note attempt. That's about all to say on sound other than Joe is a really good guitarist. // 9

Lyrics: I'll just do a breakdown song by song of lyrics: 01. Tell That Mick That He Has Just Made My List Of Things To Do Today - with a lot of songs that the titles have nothing to do with the song. Still the lyrics made me laugh during the chorus. 02. Dead On Arrival - I like the short title and the lyrics are repeated throughout the song. Very very catchy. 03. Grand Theft Autumn (Where Is Your Boy) - a really good song for teenagers to relate to. The lyrics tell start to tell this story of a guy who likes a girl who already has a boyfriend. Then I get confused because in the 2nd verse it says he gets off his ass and calls her. 04. Saturday - another song I think is just okay. There is one lyric that I really like in this song. "I read about the afterlife, but I never really lived for more than an hour" another problem was the high note attempt at the end. 05. Homesick At Space Camp - really catchy. 06. Sending Postcards From A Plane Crash (Wish You Were Here) - this is just another okay song. 07. Chicago Is So Two Years Ago - really good song. One of the best on the album. I like the guitar part in this song alot. 08. The Pro's And Con's Of Breathing - this is where the album get's a little darker and away from the pop songs. Possibly the best song on the album. This one is about a breakup and someone trying to forget about the other person. 09. Grenade Jumper - not really much I can say about this one. I was immensly annoyed by the "Hey Chris" line. 10. Calm Before The Storm - probably the only pop-ish type song on the album that I like. This song is really catchy. I like how it starts out all upbeat then the background singer starts throwing his voice with the chorus. 11. Reinventing The Wheel To Run Myself Over - another darker song. It's short and sweet that's why I like it. 12. The Patron Saint Of Liars And Fakes - they really did save the best for last. Next to #8. This is the best song on the album. You can tell the emotion in Patrick's voice as he sings "And when I all goes to hell, will you be able to tell me you're sorry with a straight face." The darkness of this song doesn't hurt either. // 9

Overall Impression: Okay compared to their new cd. This is really darker. Their new CD is way too much pop for me. Best songs on the CD are Chicago Is So Two Years Ago, The Pros And Cons Of Breathing, Calm Before The Storm, Reinventing The Wheel To Run Myself Over, The Patron Saint Of Liars And Fakes. If this CD were stolen I would probably burn another copy from a friend, but not the same story with the new CD. // 8

Take This To Your Grave Reviewed by: Pickleboy03, on march 17, 2006

Sound: I love Fall Out Boy's sound, especially in this CD. Fall Out Boy's four members - Patrick Stump (guitar, vocals), Pete Wentz (bass), Joe Trohman (guitar), Andy Hurley (drums) - really know how to play and this cd proves it very well. // 10

Lyrics: Patrick Stump has one of the best voices in the music business. It is really unique, and the best part is that he has never had singing lessons. He has great range and just a great all around voice. The thing about the lyrics, they are definately hard to understand, meaning wise that is, but all you have do is listen to them more in depth and you will understand them very well, like I have. The people who only listen to Fall Out Boy a little, or only listen to their hits, I doubt will be able to understand what they are saying in their songs. // 10

Overall Impression: The thing I love about this cd and "From Under The Cork Tree" is the titles. I love the fact that they are so long, it's just original. And the meaning, well, most people don't understand them, and that is what Fall Out Boy intended. The titles are related to the meanings of the songs, so if you learn what the songs are trying to say, then you should be able to tie the meaning of the title into it. If this cd was lost or stolen, I guarantee I would buy it again. // 10

Take This To Your Grave Reviewed by: Run2Me, on november 15, 2004

Sound: From distorted guitars to clear crisp vocals, Fall Out Boy has everything needed for the ideal pop punk rock band sound. They resemble a The Starting Line/New Found Glory/MXPX (their newer stuff) sounding band, but have a unique style of their own. Their sound does not exactly replicate that of other pop punk bands, but is more independent and laid back. With 2 fantastic guitarists, one friggin' awesome bass man, and an excellent drummer, the band is set for sound. // 10

Lyrics: If you're a teenager, you'll definitely be able to relate to this album in some way, shape, or form. The lyrics all relate to real life in some way, and talk about the rough spots in friendships (Sending Postcards From A Plane Crash) to tough love (The Pros And Cons Of Breathing). None of their lyrics are clich or unoriginal, but different and meaningful. Patrick (Lead Singer) brings emotion and heart into the songs, bringing out the true meaning of the songs. The riffs all correspond with the song, a perfect example being "The Patrons Saints Of Liars And Fakes" with its moody guitar riffs and angry love/friendship lyrics. Each song has a different subject, making the entire album interesting. // 10

Overall Impression: Fall Out Boy has easily become one of my favorite bands with this album. From its popish punk rock sound to it's meaningful life lyrics, they have all the qualities needed to make a top of the line band. Although they are not entirely big like Yellowcard, MXPX, or New Found Glory, they will definitely be making their way up to a well known rock star status in the near future. All of their songs have a little something for everyone. Favorites would include "Chicago Is So Two Years Ago" - dealing with a love that's gone wrong and missing home - and "The Patron Saint Of Liars And Fakes" - either a friendship or love relationship that went down. This album is one of the few where you wouldn't skip a track because you didn't like it. All of these songs are too great to pass up. Fall Out Boy is definitely a band to get caught on. // 10

Take This To Your Grave Reviewed by: Codestar20, on january 08, 2004

Sound: The sound of this isn't your typical pop-punk. It's got great guitar riffs that go right along with the rhythm power chords. The first song on the album, "Tell That Mick He Just Made My List Of Things To Do Today", is just awesome. The small little riffs are really what make these guys stand out from other bands. Their melodies in the songs are great as well. The singer can sing. He isn't whiny, and he can hit notes that are just crazy for a singer in this genre (Ex. "Saturday" at the end of the song). // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are catchy, creative, and very witty. I love them. They have some that anyone can relate to. My overall impression of the lyrics, is that they are great. They aren't so deep that you'll need a dictionary to figure out what words mean, and they aren't cheesy either. The lyrics just mesh so well with the music, that neither one of them dominates the cd. Like I stated before, the singer can sing fairly well, which is why I like these guys. // 10

Overall Impression: This is in the pop-punk genre, but it sounds slightly different. The melodies are great, lyrics are well done, the music is perfect. The best songs on the album are: 1) Tell That Mick He Just Made My List Of Things To Do Today 3) Grand Theft Autumn (Where is your boy?) 7) Chicago Is So Two Years Ago 8) The Pros And Cons Of Breathing 12) The Patron Saint Of Liars And Fakes I actually had this cd burned from a friend first. Then it got scratched, so I went out and bought a copy. It's that good. I have seen these guys live and they put on a great show. One of the better bands that I have. I can say that this is one of the best cds that I own. Go and pick it up. // 10

Take This To Your Grave Reviewed by: guitargal10, on december 06, 2005

Sound: The sound is awsome. They do a very good job of taking the verse into the prechorus without a feeling of a gap inbetween like some bands do. There is not really any good bass on this album except for number 11, I find the bass Pete does is generally overrated. All of the songs on this album make you want to run around or do something, they are very catchy and energy filled. The only thing I dont like is how Patrick's voice is very high pitched and annoying at times, and the bass. Other then that I would say it is very well writted music. // 10

Lyrics: Most of the time I am going to admit: the lyrics do not make sence. Sometime it sounds as if it was just random thoughts put in for lyrics. Original, weird and confusing all at the same time. I would say for lyrics wise, number 5 is the best and makes the most sence. Grand theft Autumn/Where is your boy has a story thats easy to follow if you leave out some of the verses inbetween. // 7

Overall Impression: I would say they are more original then the average pop/punk band, and get a lot of critism just because they are on MTV, but I think if people actually listened to their album they would change their opinion of Fall Out Boy. The songs are very catchy but not cheesy, even if sometimes it is confusing as to what they are trying to say. // 9

Take This To Your Grave Reviewed by: hobo467, on august 08, 2006

Sound: I'm not gonna lie, I only started listening to these guys after From Under The Cork Tree was released. However, this album kicks the newer one to the ground and beats with a suck stick (comparatively speaking). I don't think I have ever heard a better album in my life. The catchy enhanced four-chord melodies are impossible to beat, and surprisingly, Joe Trohman and Pat Stump are quite the guitar players. Pete is nothing special on bass, bu he's as capable as anyone on this album, and Andy is just pro; 'nuff said. // 10

Lyrics: Pete Wentz's lyrics are interesting; they cover a series of topics, although most deal with love obviously. They range from the lightest happiness to the darkest possible emotions understandable by the human mind. A line like "Know that I could crush you with my voice" has deep-rooted meaning to it that probably only Pete really knows the meaning of. His style is quite cryptic, and it really makes you think. // 10

Overall Impression: If this CD was re-released and advertised to the mainstream, I think it would easily go quadruple platinum. It is he only album I have have ever heard in my life in which I really like every single song off the album. The hooks are ridiculously infectious. Every song off the album is awe-inspiring and I can't pick just one. If this CD were ever stolen, I would wonder how I got the CD because I remember downloading it. Still, it is so good I would go and buy the CD in case my computer was ever destroyed. This album is a classic. // 10

Take This To Your Grave Reviewed by: Fallout Fan, on january 08, 2007

Sound: This is a pretty cut and dry style of music, nothing really special; and yet it is still great, it could just be that the was the music is all put together makes it what it is. Nothing is really out there, do you get what I'm saying, there is no huge long solos, or anything, it jsut all sticks to the songs. // 7

Lyrics: The lyrics are nice, none of the songs are increadibly repetative and are pretty much easy to understand (if you have listened to Under the Cork Tree you know what I mean). The lyrics fit right into the music, if I had to guess I would say the lyrics were written first and the music was written around them. The singer skills are not bad but they are not the best. Somewhere in the middle is where he stands. // 8

Overall Impression: I don't think it really compares to anything else, I don't think I have ever heard any thing that sounds quiet like this before, it would not be hard to tell who it is if you walked into a room and Fall Out Boy was playing. My favorite song on the album is probably Chicogo is So Two Years Ago for no really reason imperticular, it is just more appealing to me. If this CD was lost I would definatly buy it again, it is so worth it. // 9

Take This To Your Grave Reviewed by: unregistered, on march 26, 2007

Sound: I found out about these kids through Sugar We're Goin' Down. But I bought this record first, all because of the demos in stores. Yes, this may have been stupid of me, but I'm glad I did this, otherwise I wouldn't have liked Fall Out Boy so much. This CD was catchy and that proves the shows back then sold out for a reason. When I listen to this CD I never want to skip a track. And that's what Fall Out Boy wanted to acheive. But on the other hand Fall Out Boy turned out to be classified as Punk. Which this CD clearly was not. This is a great CD, but for the hardcore rockers, definantly not the CD to buy. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics were mostly all about the same things. Breakups, obsessions over girls, don't these boys have anything more interesting happening in their lives? It doesn't seem so. Although when I heard Grenade Jumper, it really touched my heart. Partially because my name is Chris. But to dedicate a whole song to a person, that takes a lot of heart. The darker lyrics mixed with the upbeat music was great, to hide the real emotions. I can understand why Peter would write so many songs about the same things writing does sometimes make people feel better about what they've done. Patrick's voice was amazing. The notes he hit were perfect, especially in Grenade Jumper. // 10

Overall Impression: This was definatly the best CD I own. It's what I listen to when I'm down. Peter's words always make me feel better. The CD cover wasn't so great, Patrick can't be the only one smiling. But the blue cover didn't want to make me buy it. All of their faces were blue. I liked the layout of the CD, but the tracks could've been in a better order. Overall, the CD was definatly worth the money. // 9

Take This To Your Grave Reviewed by: decaydance_rokk, on june 17, 2008

Sound: Fall Out Boy really started out as a great band and has gotten better over the course of the years. Take This To Your Grave is a CD about living life just out of high school and learning from your mistakes. Their style of music is very intricate and different from most bands and they experiment with a lot of different things. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics on this album were written outside the box. The titles of the song were as well different. From love to dependence to dreaming big, this album covers a lot of emotions that teenages feel. This is why a lot of fans can relate to Fall Out Boy instead of some older bands who talk about depression, drinking, kids, and other things. Pete Wentz has a talent for making words in images that captivate the listeners interest. Two Thumbs up. Patrick Stump is definetly the right guy for the lead vocals. He has a unique voice that is recognizable just about anywhere you hear it. He really adds his own flavor into the songs by breaking away from the standard. // 10

Overall Impression: Fall Out Boy doesn't compare to any other artist because they have an unique sound. Their guitar riffs are interesting and fun to play. Patrick Stumps vocals are spread out on a wide range of notes, adding the element of surprise from Grand Theft Autumn with the a capella voice to Saturday with high ranged vocals. I love everything about this album because I can relate to, sing, and play this album, and it means something to me. I would definetly have to get this album again if it were lost or stolen. // 10

Take This To Your Grave Reviewed by: xaleskx, on december 01, 2008

Sound: Fall Out Boy a power pop/pop-punk band with former members that were in hardcore punk bands. They have a unique sound and you can definitely tell they have a hardcore background with some of there songs including "shouting" lyrics and growling screams. The songs are mostly fast paced and consist of three chord guitar parts. // 8

Lyrics: The backup vocalist and bassist Pete Wentz composes all of the lyrics, he has a unique style and I've never seen anything like it. The singer/guitarist Patrick Stump has an average voice and it's nothing special although he can be pretty impressive in some songs. // 8

Overall Impression: I really wish this band still made music like this but eh whatever. The album deserves an 8 out of 10 and I wish the songs had more of a variety because they sometimes tend to sound the same. The best song on the album has to be "Saturday" it has great lyrics good melody and the song ends with screaming provided by Pete Wentz and I was impressed by it. // 8

More Fall Out Boy reviews rating latest review