The Drug In Me Is You Review

Lyrics: 8.2
 8.2
 7.8
The Drug In Me Is You Reviewed by: LeoHH, on july 28, 2011

Sound: "The Drug In Me Is You" is (ex-Escape The Fate) Ronnie Radke's sophomore full length record and first through new band Falling In Reverse. Having been absent from the music scene for some years he hopes to emerge as 'king of the music scene' - to quote his lyrics - and this record, while lacking depth and certain freshness in comparison to other recent releases of the same scene/genre is still a pretty solid effort. Producer Michael "Elvis" Baskette returns as producer for Ronnie (also producer of Escape The Fate's 2006 EP and full-length), and does a great job in crafting the anthemic rock-n-roll sound that the band are trying to convey. Instruments are sharp and well captured, percussion is solid, bass is deep and the often well-written guitar leads and melodies are seamlessly executed. Vocals are often strong and stamped with the passion that made Ronnie Radke such a popular frontman in the first place, and the introduction of various synth parts and an instance of drum sampling are welcome additions to the mix. // 9

Lyrics: Lyrically the album serves largely as an auto-biography for Ronnie and this is where the album is sometimes let down. Casual listeners and people new to the front-man's work could easily be forgiven for thinking that much of the egotistical and sometimes overly simplistic lyrics serve as less of fan fare and more the singer's self-indulgency. Many of the tracks serve as angsty retorts to the singer's previous band with some shallow blows "you're such a dumb f--k, you need to shut up, you take a picture of me every time you get your hair cut" being aimed at Craig Mabbitt, his replacent in Escape The Fate whom Ronnie believes stole his place and tried to mimic his every style. Opener "Raised By Wolves" serves as Ronnie's return to the scene and references various Escape The Fate song titles - particularly from their first release after his departure - "This War Is Ours", declaring "This War Is Mine". Pop-belters "The Drug In Me Is You" and "Good Girls Bad Guys" serve as great single material with hook-laden melodies and sing-along choruses whilst the fantastic "I'm Not A Vampire" and "Pick Up The Phone" are examples of excellently crafted songs and show great promise for future releases. Heavier tracks "Don't Mess With Ouija Boards", "Sink Or Swim" and "Goodbye Graceful" are your standard breakdown screamed-vocal to poppy chorus affair and will definitely please fans of the singer's harder work. Deeply personal "Caught Like A Fly" and "The Westerner" are two equally interesting tracks and a change for the album, both centered around the singers accused betrayal by the hands of his former band "I've been beaten I've been bruised I was left for dead as well, I was wrongfully accused you left me locked inside a cell" and both have strong choruses and strong musicianship from the band. // 7

Overall Impression: A large amount of excellent guitar-work, a few ear-catching basslines and memorable vocal melodies are good enough reasons to check this band out, and fans of Ronnie Radke's previous work will be right at home here. As for attracting newcomers, the release doesn't stray too far from what listeners may expect from the frontman but his newly formed line-up are a solid bunch of musicians. This record will certainly not propel Ronnie to the top of the music scene but it's a solid hard-rock fix. Here's to hoping they grow and develop their sound in time for their next release, because at this rate they could develop into something special. Notable tracks: "I'm Not A Vampire", "Good Girls Bad Guys", "Pick Up The Phone". // 8

The Drug In Me Is You Reviewed by: KsE909, on july 28, 2011

Sound: So the overall sound of this album is amazing. Some really catchy bass lines and melodies. The only thing that truly bothered me on this album was the sound of the snare. It is REALLY annoying. It sounds so electronic, and it really begins to become irritating after a few tracks. The solo's are clean, and pretty well played. And of course, what everyone is dying to hear... Ronnie Radke... And I have to say, he sounds better than ever on this album. He does slow down his growls on "Don't Mess With Ouija Boards" so that they sound deeper, but if anything, it sounds pretty cool. The overall sound was pretty good, and I recommend the tracks "Pick Up The Phone", "Caught Like A Fly", "The Westerner", "Tragic Magic", and "Good Girls Bad Guys". // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics are straight from the heart and I can assure you of this... Almost every song is a BIG f-you to Escape The Fate. Ronnie had a few years to let all of his anger and aggression boil. Take this lyric from "The Westerner": "I tell the truth. I've been beaten I've been bruised I was left for dead as well, I was wrongfully accused you left me locked inside a cell." And this one from "Tragic Magic", "I dug a hole 10 miles wide So I could throw all of you inside You're such a dumb f--k You need to shut up You bring a picture of me everytime you get a haircut Imposter!" The lyrics are amazing. Ronnie's voice is great, and everything flows so well. The lyrics are definitely one of the best things about this album. // 10

Overall Impression: I feel I should compare this to Escape The Fate. In fact, it only seems fitting that I do. And I will, because that's really the only other band Falling In Reverse SHOULD be compared to. And I have to say, this album is better than anything Escape The Fate has ever created, even their first with Ronnie, and that album is a classic. I love almost everything about this album: the breakdowns, the solos, the singing, the lyrics, the tone. But the sound of the snare is the only thing I hate about this album. I recommend that you pick up this CD, because if I lost my copy, I'd sure as hell buy a new one. This is for fans of old Escape The Fate, Black Tide, and Avenged Sevenfold. // 9

The Drug In Me Is You Reviewed by: metalmaniac90, on july 29, 2011

Sound: This album has a variety of sounds. "The Drug In Me Is You", "Good Girls, Bad Guys", and "Pick Up The Phone", serve as hard rock/pop fusions that turn out tasty. Song like "Raised By Wolves", has a hard rock, with metal breakdown feel. "Caught Like A Fly", brings about a carnival hard rock feel, and the musical direction of that song reminds me of Avenged Sevenfold's "A Little Piece Of Heaven". Al though the songs are completely different, they are also reminiscent of each other. Songs like "Sink Or Swim", and "Goodbye Graceful" have a very metal sound. Their guitarist "Jacky" showcases A LOT of shred on this album. There are a few instances where slows down. Lots of sweeps, and lots of speed picking. Very talented guitarist. // 9

Lyrics: Honestly in a few of the songs the lyrics are very simple... However; as one would expect from Ronnie there are a lot of good catch phrases. For example and excerpt from "The Drug In Me Is You", "Your secrets keep you sick your lies keep you alive, snake eyes every single time your roll the crooked dice..." Many may find the lyrics of this CD aimed toward one direction with the exception of "Good Girls, Bad Guys", and "Pick Up The Phone". One must keep in mind however he has been in jail for 3-4 years... So it does make sense. His voice has gotten technically better. I've never really found his voice to be anything special when he's singing clean... Its always been the lyrics that really caught my attention. // 9

Overall Impression: In some places this album goes musically in some of the same places Escape the Fate would have gone on "Dying Is Your Latest Fashion", and "This War Is Ours..." Often times it does so in a way that is more pleasing to the ears. The top 3 on this album in my opinion are, "Good Girls, Bad Guys", "Pick Up The Phone", and "Caught Like A Fly". I find the musical diversity of this album to be great, and as usual I like Ronnie's lyrics... It differentiates a lot from music typically released in this genre today. I really dislike the song "I'm Not A Vampire..." The vocal tone he takes with the instrumental, it just doesn't meld very well. Otherwise I thought this was a very solid album. // 9

The Drug In Me Is You Reviewed by: thedudester12, on august 01, 2011

Sound: I love the bands over all sound. Its like Ronnie found artists that were just like his old band, Escape The Fate, in every way except these new guys are more like Ronnie in the "I don't give a f*#@" category and its amazing. I also feel that the band itself is being forced into a back seat because everyone is talking about Ronnie Radke's new band and I hardly hear anyone refer to them as Falling In Reverse and I don't really think that is fair to the other members. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are genius. They reflect Ronnie's situation perfectly and you can tell he wrote them from his personal loss and mistakes he has made. Although one track could have used some polishing; I feel that the "la's" in "Tragic Magic" were just filler cus they couldn't think of anything that would go good their and they don't contribute to the song at all in my opinion. // 9

Overall Impression: I think this is definitely as good and maybe even a bit better than the early Escape The Fate works and I really think that the reason for that is because there is more fuel for the songwriting process now than before. I think the most impressive song is the one they released as a single before the album came out, "Raised By Wolves", once you start listening to it you sort of get sucked in and hypnotized. I don't really hate much besides the filler in that one track and I basically love everything else on this album. I find it hard to think of it being stolen or lost because of my storage habits but I think I would definitely replace it but it wouldn't be a priority because food is more important to spend my meager wages on. // 9

The Drug In Me Is You Reviewed by: IAmTwisted, on september 09, 2011

Sound: Ronnie Radke returns to the world of music with his new band Falling In Reverse', who have just released their debut album, The Drug In Me Is You. If you were expecting something similar to Radke's former band Escape The Fate, you're bound to be dissapointed. This album has no similarities to Radke's earlier project, a strange blend of post hardcore riffs, clich'd lyrics, and an even stranger presence of pop elements in most songs. Although most people would celebrate Radke's decision to move forward in a direction separate from Escape the Fate, this album is not neccasarily something to celebrate. The aforementioned presence of pop elements brings the entire album down. A song may sound good to begin with, such as Raised By Wolves', but it ultimatley falls during the chorus. After a while it becomes immensley confusing, almost as if you're listening to two completely different bands. One is the occasionaly heavy, post hardcore band that is just below the threshold to be called good music, the other is something you'd expect to hear on the Disney Channel. The guitars however, show surprising skill and a whole load of potential, but they are always overruled by Radke's singing. Whenever there's a hint of good guitar skill, whether it is a solo or a riff, it is thrown aside by the singing. // 5

Lyrics: None of the lyrics are particuarly different or original. Whilst listening to it it's incredibly easy to predict the next line, purely due to the lyric's simplicity and how clich they ultimatley are. One song on the album that does manage to meld the pop and post hardcore singing is the epynomous track, The Drug In Me Is You'. Although the chorus is pop and clich'd, on a whole the song is surprisingly catchy, with some half-decent lyrics during the verses, proving the Radke has it in him to increase the quality of the lyrics but for some reason has failed to do so on the other songs. // 4

Overall Impression: In general, the album fails to break any new ground, and whilst there are shining glimmers of potential hidden in the album, they are merely glimmers and have unfortunatley been extinguished by the abysmal blend of pop and metal. Another unfortunate memento is that the album appears to rely far too heavily on Radke's singing, which is the main fault of the album. If more of the band had larger chances to break into the spotlight, the album may have been more of a success, but as this is not the case, the album will not succeed. Despite all of this, I would like to commend Ronnie Radke on his return to the muscial world after all that he's been through. // 5

The Drug In Me Is You Reviewed by: ssj3 barry, on february 10, 2012

Sound: Falling In Reverse on first impression are just a generic pop punk/metal band, but I realised quickly these guys have an edge over alot of other comparable bands, for starters the guitar work is great! Fast, catchy to the point solos with some good drumming to back it up. Ronnie's lyrics and vocals are definitely the highlight of the album though but I'll go further into that later. This really is a very crisp, well put together album. 01. "Raised By Wolves" - Great start to an album, extremely catchy. 02. "Tragic Magic" - Worst song on the album its got an annoying melody and not much going on musically, a few cool lines but abit of a let down. 03. "The Drug In Me Is You" - Great song! Great melody, great lyrics, great guitar just great!. 04. "I'm Not A Vampire" - Properly my favorite of the album, awesome lyrics and guitar work love it!. 05. "Good Girls Bad Guys" - Very radio friendly abit too much for my liking, but has some cool funny lyrics and a nice solo. 06. "Pick Up The Phone" - Not a good song, annoying melody with a weird almost rap part for the pre-chorus. 07. "Don't Mess With Ouija Boards" - Cool Song, best for Ronnie vocally IMO. 08. "Sink Or Swim" - Good song with some quite disturbing lyrics ha. 09. "Caught Like A Fly" - Has a weird kind of carnival feel to it but a pretty cool song with good lyrics. 10. "Goodbye Graceful" - Weakest lyrics on the album, okay verses and chorus but not one of the best. 11. "The Westerner" - Awesome song! Very personal and hard hitting lyrics with an infectious melody. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics are definatly the highlight of the album, Ronnie opens up about his drug and personal problems with alot of harsh words towards Max Green and Craig Mabbit of ETF and fair bit about getting f--ked up and banging chicks ha. The vocals are really good, I never thought Ronnie's clean voice was anything special but his screaming is really bloody good, the only problem I had with the album was they didn't utilize Ronnie's screaming enough and went abit to far towards pop punk. // 10

Overall Impression: All in all a very solid first outing by Falling In Reverse, with alot of radio friendly songs but also a few good hard hitting post hardcore songs. But its definitely Ronnie's ability to "Turn a phrase" that's makes this album not just another pop punk/post hardcore album. // 9

More Falling In Reverse reviews rating latest review