A Toast To Bad Taste Review

Far-Less: A Toast To Bad Taste
Release Date: Oct 23, 2007
Label: Tooth and Nail
Genres: Post-Hardcore, Indie Rock, Punk Metal
Lofty comparisons aside, A Toast to Bad Taste will certainly not disappoint fans of Far-Less' earlier output.
 8.8
 7.7
 9.8
review (1) 1 comment vote for this album:
A Toast To Bad Taste Reviewed by: PVmelonhead91, on march 03, 2008

Sound: If I was flipping through the radio stations in my car I would not notice anything special about the "Far-Less" sound. However, once you actually listen to the music instead of just hearing it on the radio, the "Far-Less" sound really becomes clear. The thing I find most interesting about the "Far-Less" sound is the fact that when listening to them I am not only waiting for a catchy guitar riff, but also a catchy piano riff, which there is deffinatly no shortage of. // 7

Lyrics: The lyrics are by far my favorite part of this album. They have their share of catchy one liners that you can't get out of your head (In a good way though). However, the band does not rely on a catchy verse or two to carry the song, but rather they fill the whole song with lyrics that have substance and meaning. Far-Less is on a christian label (Tooth and Nail), this does not mean that they are a christian band or not. I enter this in the lyrics section because, the lyrics have no direct reference to Jesus or God. However when looking at them knowing that they are on a christian label you can tell that something might be being implied in the lyrics with a christian message. Without knowing that they are on a christian label you would not to be able to tell them from a mainstream band or not by there lyrics. The singer has got talent, his voice is slightly unique, however when talking about unique voices I doubt however his voice will come up. It is a good voice and is not going to disappoint you, however I'm not to posotive it is going to amaze you. I would however, put him above your average bands lead singer. // 8

Overall Impression: I believe that you are going to find better music quality in this album then your average mainstream band such as, finger eleven, greenday, fall out boy, ect. The reason for this is that they seem to be more focused on making a complete album then just making a hit single. However the songs that stand out really do stand out much like hit singles, such as Gentlemen(go to sleep), Forever and a Day, Surprise Funeral(For the Charmed), A Toast to Bad Taste, and I Gave In. My favorite thing about this album is that how big of a role the piano plays in some songs, and how the piano is not used to enhance the song, but becomes the song, and guitar is used as an enhancement. The one negative thing about this album that really sticks out is the fact that I find myself skipping around on the tracks of the album. Meaning that I very rarely listen to it from start to finish. While this happens with most albums, I stil find it to be a negative thing. However this could just be personal taste. This album is a very good album, and if it was lost or stolen I would buy it again. Every song on the album is worth listening too. I don't think however Everysong is great. // 8

Comments