At The Peak Review

7.7
 9.1
review (1) user comments vote for this album:
At The Peak Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 09, 2010

Sound: Tune that came from 3 studios (Mustache Ministry, PMA and Sophiria) hit it's target for this Polish band. It's a vintage hc/melodic/punk sound that we love to hear these times. Everything is audible, drums are fast and creative as hell, bass have it's proper moments and guitars are harsh and melodic. And melodies, yay! This is what we like the most- melody, melody, melody and a handful of power and joy. What more can you ask for? Although it's not perfect and ultra-pro sound, you will enjoy it. It's everything it needs to be. It's clear that Stone's movie "Wall Street" from 1987 was an inspiration for creators of this album. There's a segment of Gekko's speech ("greed is good") and one of the songs strictly refers to picture's plot. // 7

Lyrics: Damon's lyrics are just as simple as they need to be for this type of music. They're understandable and fits great in the tune. What I like most about them is that there's no "form over content" thing as he's trying to explain the problem that bothers him as simply as he can in a song. There's not much figurative lyrics or metaphors. These are just classic hardcore lyrics about life, friendship, suffering, social struggles and hope. Sometimes it's just hits you straight in the face ("Time After Time", "Make Up Your Mind") and sometimes gives you this light, cool sensation somewhere in stomach ("Up To Me", "Better Off"). It's easy to notice, these lyrics comes from a young, troubled but hopeful heart. They're simple, inspiring and powerful. Needless to say, you have to experience them. Speaking of vocals, we have high, melodic choruses and just classic hc choirs which work great. Singer's scale is high, he makes these angry, deep stresses which are damn juicy to hear but sometimes it seems that he's trying to overcome his possibilites and do better than he really can. It becomes tiring sometimes, there are few flaws and minor out of tune moments barely noticable, but overall, there's every vocal thing you can expect from a hardcore band. Maybe expect screams but in a world of hc records overflowing with screaming singers, it's just a fresh breeze. Strength and melodiousness combined perfectly. // 8

Overall Impression: I believe I rest my case in boxes above. If you like melodic hardcore such as Rise Against or Stretch Arm Strong I'm positive you'll enjoy this album. My last complaint may be the booklet which is not very attractive but it contains lyrics and this what it's all about. This is hardcore after all. This thing was forged in flames of passion and love for this music and movement and if you're into it, you will aprecciate it. // 8

Comments