Always Open Mouth Review

artist: fear before the march of flames date: 01/15/2008 category: compact discs
fear before the march of flames: Always Open Mouth
Release Date: Sep 19, 2006
Label: Equal Vision
Genres: Alternative Metal, Post-Hardcore
The Always Open Mouth is an album that will restore faith in alternative music. It will make people remember that music was not meant to be a mass of copycat bands, but it was meant to push boundaries and reinvent itself.
 Lyrics: 9.5
 9.5
 9.7
 9.3
Always Open Mouth Reviewed by: hopespaul, on january 15, 2008

Sound: The sound has changed dramatically since art damage and odd how people shake, more towards the older 'shake' era. If you're reading this review, you must have already heard about this band before, and if not, you have definately been missing out. FBTMOF have come out and put their best grown-up effort to date. I would personally single out this CD as the best of 2006. Derek Fisher (guitar) finally found his delay pedal laying around somewhere (those who are Fear fans know what I'm talking about). The guitar work is beyond amazing, definately much more refined than any previous Fear work. the only negative I have to say about this sonic masterpiece is that the last few songs do not compare in terms of quality to the rest of the CD, but it's hard to blame fear for it. // 10

Lyrics: The vocals turned for the good, and now it is easier than ever to hear what Dave Marion has to say, and he does have a bit of a message. Most of it is about how we should be aware of our surroundings, and stop believing what "they" tell us, and "they" is really a fill-in-the-blank. Some messages come with a little sarcasm, which adds to the albums dark and mysterious tone. My favorite quotes from this CD are "Anything to numb/anything to encourage ignorance", "Our child gets a scratch we give our child a brand new head", and the most imporant message of the CD: "Everything cannot be made right." // 10

Overall Impression: Pick this one up no matter what your opinion is about this band, it will either blow you away, or you can give it to your friend with better taste in music who will appreciate it. The best songs on the CD are very hard to pick out, since all of them are close to perfect. If you like slower stuff, download "My (F--king) Deer Hunter" and "Taking Cassandra To The End Of World Party". If you're into the heavy and dark, try "Drowning The Old Hag" and "A Gift For Fiction". If you just love all music like I do, get "Of Horses And Medicine" and "...As A Result Of Signals". // 10

Always Open Mouth Reviewed by: YourMessiah666, on january 07, 2008

Sound: First of all, I'd like to say I'm quite surprsied that no one has reviewed this album before. Here we go. As the third full-length album from these guys, you would expect their sound to have changed from the first two. And my god it has. I was so used to the good old scream yer f--kin head off from the first two albums. And all thrashy type shit. But this, oh no. This album is much much different from the others. It's not really a bad change, it's just the same old Fear Before, except the songs start off slower instead of just getting straight to the mathcore style. Take "...As a Result" for example, it starts off with some slow drumming, then a clean guitar comes in after about 30 seconds, definitely an eerie sound to it however, then a piano echos at about one minute, then finally we get to the singing. A huge build-up from the good old days in Odd How People Shake and Art Damage. A few songs take a while to get to the crazy angsty stuff, and others are the good old Fear Before. A very good album quality-wise. // 10

Lyrics: If you're reading this, you'll probably know how Fear Before writes their lyrics, and this album is no exception. A little different from Odd How People Shake, however. I'd say the screaming/singing ability of these guys has greatly improved, as it does with most bands after an album or two. "I don't sleep, I hardly move. You won't sleep, you won't move at all" taken from Drowning the Old Hag depicts the good old FBTMOF. A few songs in this CD have like, back and forth type singing, which is pretty awesome. It's like yell scream yell scream type stuff. So it adds some variety. // 9

Overall Impression: 01. Absolute Future - just an intro song. A little acoustic and some random quotes and shit in the background. 02. Drowning The Old Hag - an amazing song. It really hits you with a bang after hearing the intro track. Very heavy, almost like it should have been on the old albums. 03. Mouth - another song that shoots hard straight from the start. Not so much screaming in this song, more singing and it works quite well. 04. Taking Cassandra To The End Of The World Party - one of my favourite tracks on the album actually. Starts of pretty mellow, then it builds up and lets start the headbangin! 05. Ten Seconds In Los Angeles - again another song that builds up, but man oh man is it worth it. Around 40 seconds you can really hear the upcoming awesomeness that will hit you like a ton of bricks. And 1:34 into it, we hit the heavy part. 06. The Waiting Makes Me Curious - this song is quite boring in my opinion. It's songs like this that make people think that Fear Before went soft. 07. High As A Horse - now back to the good stuff! This song is sweet. A nice mix of slow and fast. 08. Dog Sized Bird - not much to say about this song. I love the lyrics though "Have you seen me lately? I am the dog sized bird on the tracks. I have an unhealthy handful of options, and a couple of trains on my back." 09. Complete And Utter Confusion - a mediocre song I'd say. 10. As A Result Of Signals Being Crossed - the first song I've ever heard of this album. And I thought it was amazing. After the minute long intro it gets intro some really great screaming and back-yelling. 11. My Deer Hunter - by far one of my favourite tracks off the album. It's so different from anything else. Really gets the angst level up haha. It may start off slow, but I love it. 12. Lycantrophy - I love the synths in this song, it eventually gets into some old style yelling mathcore type stuff. Not as good as anything from Art Damage however. 13. A Brief Tutorial In Bachanalia - fans of old school Fear Before should like this song, it's very thrashy and no build ups and no clean guitar bullshit. Until later in the song, similar to Consequences David from Art Damage. 14. A Gift For Fiction - yet another track that you might like if you're into the old style Fear Before. 15. Absolute Past - a nice track, goes with Absolute Future if you didn't notice. Nice ending song for sure. Overall, this is a very good album. But it does not compare to Odd How People Shake Or Art Damage. It is a big change in sound, and some people will like the album, some people won't. Weighing in at 15 tracks, you can't really go wrong. I would definitely buy this album if someone stole it. And I'd probably have to hurt that person pretty bad too. // 9

More Fear Before The March Of Flames reviews rating latest review