Demanufacture Review

artist: fear factory date: 02/13/2009 category: compact discs
fear factory: Demanufacture
Released: 1995
Genre: Rock
Styles: Alternative Metal, Industrial Metal, Heavy Metal, Death Metal/Black Metal
Demanufacture may sound somewhat generic today in the wake of the myriad alternative metal bands that took cues from it.
 9.3
 9.5
 9.1
Demanufacture Reviewed by: unregistered, on october 16, 2004

Sound: I heard that this album took a long time. Well they obviously didn't waste a minute because this is one of the best, maybe the best metal album of the 90's. after unleashing their debut 'Soul Of A New Machine' which had a very death metal edge to it, they came about and created a record that flourishes with originality and oozes raw power without sounding mono. From the opening sequence of machinery to the absolutely titanic riff of Demanufacture. (It came 19th in total guitar's top 20 heaviest riffs). Then into self bias resistor's melodic vocal/thundering double bass combo. Track 4 brings us replica, which is by far the catchiest song on the album. The aural pleasure/raping conitinues straight through this album, with tracks like the vulgar 'Pisschrist' and the lighter (not light may I add) 'Dog Day Sunrise' and the powerful 'H-k Hunter Killer' this is the soundtrack to robots taking over the world. Genius. // 10

Lyrics: As I mentioned in my review of obsolete, Burton C. bell in my opinion has one of the best voices in the indsustry. As well as one of the most versatile. Displaying such range in 'Self Bias Resistor', repeatedly switching his vocal styles. Lyrically the whole thing is very downbeat, but at times retrospective. Only one rating fits it. // 10

Overall Impression: This is one of my favourite albums. This easily stands up to it's rivals and in a lot of cases beats. This is their best album, closely followed by their new 'Archetype' album. The thing I like about this album is its polished tone, which isn't as easily accomplishable using 7-string guitars. As well as this band boasting the best vocalicst and drummer around. If you haven't got it, buy it, if you lose it, buy it again. // 10

Demanufacture Reviewed by: SOAD_fan18, on february 13, 2009

Sound: Initially, upon hearing the album I thought it'd be one that I'd skip through until I found one I liked, however as soon as the bass hammered in on the title track I knew it'd be great. It's yet again an example of how Fear Factory manage to sound like a single instrument throughout their songs. Apparently, this is a concept album but sadly I didn't really get that. The bonus CD, Remanufacture, was an absolute delight to listen to, completely incongruous with Fear Factory's sound, as it was more of a gabber album than a metal remix album. Still brilliant though. You are always aware of the noises of industry in the album, and although it's pretty much the same three or four sounds within each song it still feels different. The ringy sound of the guitar is fantastic and we're reminded how great Dino Cazares is, as it complements Raymond Herrera's fantastic drumming. // 9

Lyrics: Very anti-establishment, angsty lyrics, you can't help but to cringe at lines like "I got no more god-damned regrets, I got no more god-damned respect" but still very good lyrics in general. Burton's almost operatic clean vocals sound good in every context on the album, however the harsh vocals on tracks like Your Mistake are a bit substandard compared with other fear factory albums. Burton still has a fantastic voice throughout the album though. // 8

Overall Impression: Probably my favourite album of all time, I'm very happy with it. Standout tracks from the album are Self Bias Resistor, Replica, and Zero Signal. If you get the Remanufacture CD, best tracks on this are 21st Century Jesus, Genetic Blueprint and Machines Of Hate. I can't say anything on this album actually irks me and I could happily listen to it over, and over, and over, and over again. I reckon if I had downloaded this album bbeforehand, I still would have bought it as Fear Factory deserve money for this masterpiece. // 10

More Fear Factory reviews rating latest review