Soul Of A New Machine Review

fear factory: Soul Of A New Machine
Released: Aug 25, 1992
Genre: Death metal, Industrial metal
Label: Roadrunner
If you are a fan of Grindcore Death Metal or Industrial then you should definitely check this beast out.
 8.7
 7.3
review (1) user comments vote for this album:
Soul Of A New Machine Reviewed by: unregistered, on march 03, 2011

Sound: Fear Factory have varied in sound over the years, This album as well as Demanufacture is Industrial/Death Metal while Digimortal is mainly Nu Metal which is..disappointing. I first got into Fear Factory through a friend at college and I've been hooked ever since. As soon as you hear the first song Martyr you can tell this album is heavily influenced by Napalm Death but unlike Napalm Death Burton mixes death growls with clean vocals which was groundbreaking at the time and still sounds awesome today. // 10

Lyrics: Track by track; 01. Martyr - This kicks off with a face crushing riff followed by Burton talking over the drums "I've got to get away" then the song kicks in full throttle. After awhile the song slows down with Burton singing in his clean voice "Suffer bastard" one of the best songs on the album. 5/5 02. Leechmaster - This one is very heavy..some more complicated powerchord riffs..near the end it changes to a less heavy section with Burton shouting "I loved you once Now go away". 4.5/5 03. Scapegoat - Wow...this song is epic, it starts with a sample from a movie then we hear a huge riff and the earth shaking roar of Burton C. Bell. The chorus is probably the best on the album, more clean vocals from Burton you can really see his talent in this song and its probably my favorite off the CD and one of the best Fear Factory songs. 5/5 04. Crisis - Starts with another sample from a movie then the verse comes in which isn't anything special..The chorus on the other hand is brilliant..not much too say about this one really. 3.5/5 05. Crash Test - What an intro..some machine noises with Burton screaming in the background..this song is brutal, the heaviest on the album infact. The chorus is just as heavy with Burton singing "Crash test So what?" the song calms down in the middle but soon picks up pace...no clean vocals to be found on this one. 5/5 06. Flesh Hold - This is probably the weakest on the album..the verse is average while the chorus is great it just doesn't compare to the other tracks. 3/5 07. Lifeblind - The song begins with a simple riff with more machinery samples then blasts into a very heavy riff..the chorus is great with clean vocals...this song is very Napalm Death. 4/5 08. Scumgrief - Starts off with the best riff on the album then Burton singing "Cry" over the top, beautiful. the verse is very heavy..the chorus is the same as the intro..and after Burton yells "Scumgrief" which sends shivers down my spine every time I hear it. 5/5 09. Natividad - Machinery noises..that is all. 2.5/5 10. Big God/Raped Souls - Cool name huh? Starts off with Burton breathing heavily then saying "In America today, every 25 ***ing seconds someone is viciously raped,someone is brutally violated; 250 times a day,someone is murdered, someone's life is taken, In America; This is America, This is America, and I love America, I love America! " Then blasts into the heaviest riff on the album. The verse is mixed with death growls and clean vocals..the end of the song goes crazy with amazing blast beasts showing how talented Raymond Herrera is. 5/5 11. Arise Above Oppression - A simple light riff begins..and then obviously it gets much heavier..This song is too short to be anything special. 3.5/5 12. Self Immolation - Maybe the lightest song on the album...a pretty heavy verse then turns into a melodic chorus which is always fun to listen to..again too short but still a great song. 4.5/5 13. Suffer Age - This one starts off with a string bend then into a very heavy riff..the verse is crazy, filled with blast beats really makes you wana beat up your nan or something...finishes off with a lovely melodic section and amazing double bass work. 4.5/5 14. W.O.E. - This song is pure Napalm Death..which makes it a great listen but again at only 2 and a half minutes is too short..great while it lasts. 4/5 15. Desecrate - I used to think this song sounded like a complete mess until i listened to it carefully and worked out what was going on..this is also very Napalm Death..it even has the high pitch screaming behind Burtons voice in the chorus just as Mitch Harris infamously does. I love this song but again is too short. 5/5 16. Escape Confusion - This sounds like nothing else on the album at first but then gets straight into it..the chorus is awesome as Burton yells "Escape Confusion". galloping and blast beats all round from Raymond. 4/5 17. Manipulation - This song doesn't really stand out apart from the chorus which features some pretty awesome guitar work from Dino. 4/5 // 10

Overall Impression: This is excellent album in my opinion. If you are a fan of Grindcore Death Metal or Industrial then you should definitely check this beast out I suggest you buy this although if you are only familiar with Fear Factory's later style, it would be like listening to an entirely different band unless you are a dedicated fan. Once you get into Fear Factory, you will be with them forever! Fear Factory For Life! // 10

More Fear Factory reviews rating latest review