Transgression Review

Released: Aug 23, 2005
Label: Calvin
Genre: Rock
Styles: Alternative Metal
Whether at its loudest or most dramatic, Transgression is Fear Factory at their most confident.
 Lyrics: 8.7
 8.4
 8.8
 7.9
Transgression Reviewed by: unregistered, on september 17, 2005

Sound: This album at first sounds weak compare to the brute force of Archetype and the confident boom of Digimortal, but repeated listens will reveal a depth of sonic experimentation which sits comfotably within the FF stable. Tracks 1 and 3, and particularly Millenium (which I rate at possibly the best thing they've ever done, maybe) vibrate with a caustic fizz of energy, a band realising it's independance from mainstream metal. // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics are timely and deep. Thoughtful eminations from a complex mind. Wouldn't you like to sit Burton C Bell down foe a 30min 1 on 1 sometime? His range ever increasing, and his vision extraordinary, BCB is ferocious and at the same time a delecate sculpture of solid marble. // 8

Overall Impression: Better than Archetype? Yes. Better than Digimortal? Nope. Better than Demanufacture? I would ay it's an equal. Some weaker tracks late on let the side down, but by then you're bludgeoned into submission anyhow! I would recommend it for any metalhead. Give it a try. // 8

Transgression Reviewed by: unregistered, on august 27, 2005

Sound: Fear Factory has an amazing sound. This is their newest CD and the first that I've actually given a listen to them. Up front and honest I'm not a hardcore/death metal fan. Just not, and that's what I had Fear Factory labeled as. Let me tell you that I was quite wrong. I was literally blown away from the second I pushed play. Great crunch to the guitar riffs with a big variety. Very dark and creepy on the heavier songs and starting on track 6, the CD changes its pace to a less heavy sound for 3 or 4 tracks double-bass drums kick you in the head till you cry uncle. Varied paces and styles. A Headbangers heaven on earth. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are deep, deep enough I'm still trying to get some of it, most of it. The vocals show a root in hardcore/death metal and he sounds more a home growling. Though he never truly gets to the low untangible monotone growl that is death metal, you can tell he could if he wanted. The melodies feel a little bit forced sometimes it offsets his usual gravel throated tone. Dare I say it's Pantera-esque? // 8

Overall Impression: Honestly, this is prob one of the best albums to come out this year. Go buy it now! It's got everything you could want, even a song by U2 (yes Bono/The Edge U2). Best songs: Moment Of Impact, 540,000* Fahrenheit, Transgression, Spinal Compression, Contagion, and basically the whole friggin' thing. It all rocks! I would buy it again in a split second if it was lost/stolen. // 10

Transgression Reviewed by: madbasslover, on august 30, 2005

Sound: This is Fear Factory's sixth release, not counting the Concrete CD. All Fear Factory listeners can agree that the band's sound has matured more and more over the years with each release, but this CD has taken it to a new level. Unlike previous albums, this CD does not rely so heavily on the synchronization of guitars and drum. This CD is mainly composed of guitar driven melodies. That's not to say that Fear Factory's trademark sound is not present here. In fact, I'd say that since it's not used throughout every song, it makes it seem even cooler when the song cuts to that loud boom. Some songs travel into territory that long time Fear Factory fans never expected to see from them. Two prime examples of this are "New Promise" and "Echo Of My Scream." Other songs stick more religiously to Fear Factory's usual sound, namely "Transgression," "Spinal Compression," and "Moment Of Impact." These songs stick out as especially badass because of what I said earlier about guitar driven melodies reigning dominant, making the usual sound stick out more. This is definitely not Fear Factory's norm, it's an experimental cd through and through. I like the direction this is going in very much, and for variety alone I'd say this is Fear Factory's best CD. // 10

Lyrics: I love Fear Factory, but they've never been too great with lyrics. However, with this CD they completely ditched the lame "Man Vs. Machine" get up, and they've written real lyrics about real things. The songs "New Promise" and "Echo Of My Scream" are prime examples of how much the lyrics have evolved on this CD. Although they still leave a little to be desired, I'd say the lyrics on this CD are quite good, considering all the other crap that's out there these days. // 8

Overall Impression: I'd say this is definitely one of the best albums that the year has seen so far. The highlights of this CD are "Transgression," "Contagion," "New Promise," "I Will Follow," and "Moment Of Impact." "I Will Follow" is a cover of a U2 song, and it's catchy as hell. If it was lost or stolen, I'd definitely go buy it again. It's worth every penny. If you buy this CD at Best Buy, there's a bonus track on it called "Empire" that's totally badass. // 10

Transgression Reviewed by: las7, on november 28, 2005

Sound: Fear Factory has continued UN fazed by the departure of their founding member, they have continued. And the new album brings out a polished and very well perfected combo of old school FF songs with new experimental songs. Although Fear Factory has had a couple of slower songs threw out the years with Echo they have gone on to do what bands 10-15 years ago perfected a modern Power Ballad. It has been long since I heard a solo in a FF record and to my amazement the solo was in this track "Echo Of My Scream" somehow I think its best fitting that a solo has gone in this quite un-Fear Factory styled song. Perhaps one of the most experimental albums to date this brings the old with the new. A perfect mix for a fan like me with every album they have surprised with this album they deliver. Archetype was perhaps a step back with the kind of perfected formula they used for Demanufacture. Personally out of 3 albums which came out after Obsolete (Digimortal, Archetype and Transgression) this has to be my favorite. Digimortal was quite a put down compared with Obsolete it was quite fragmented while Transgression finally really stands as the continuation of FF with this album they have delivered something that as a whole stands up to Demanufacture and Obsolete. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics and vocals are perhaps the best part of the album, unlike Archetype Bell shows his full range of talent. He is able to let out screams fitting the metronome drumming of one of the most influencal drummers of our generation Raymond Herrera. While when he sings there is virtually a calm unbroken by the guitar rifts. The lyrics are perhaps the most meaningful in any FF record the Man VS Machine plot is in a way pushed back by how multi-meaningful some of the lyrics are. As a whole Bell with his lyrics and vocals makes this album the best thing that FF have put out in the last 7 years. // 10

Overall Impression: What we have as a whole is a CD which is multi layered and multi listenable experience. You can listen to Transgression for the drumming, for the guitar rifts, for the though provoking lyrics or just because it is one of the best CD's to come out in 2005. You can listen to it countless of times or you can give up on FF, from personal experience I know this CD has potential to divide most FF fans but at the same time I feel this CD illustrates exactly what Fear Factory stand for. If I had this CD stolen I would go on a killing frenzy until someone gives me another copy. // 9

Transgression Reviewed by: Samchris, on december 12, 2007

Sound: Fear Factory still uses the well-known machine gun drumming an echo singing so there are familiar elements on the Transgression album. But there are also very touchy songs like U2-cover "I Will Follow" and "Echo of My Scream". Soundworld is a lot of different than on Archetype. Guitarsound are a bit different than on all previous albums.At the end, the band sounds itself. // 10

Lyrics: Lyrics are quite different than on all previous albums. There are no human versus machine kind of lyrics. The lyrics concntrate on human versus world like nuclear bombing and other shit. The lyrics are amazing. Singer Burton C. Bell uses well the echo singing. // 10

Overall Impression: It's a lot of different than previous album Archetype. When I put the CD first time in, starting song "540.000 Degrees Fahrenheit" didn't catch me up, but the second song "Transgression" punched me in the face and I was totally like woooow, man, this maybe the best FF song ever (After My Grave). The ending song Moment Of Impact is very rolling and aggressive. It is the final punch to your face. All the songs are good. There are many versions of this cd, and I have the CD+DVD version and the DVD shows the making of album, which I have watched lots of times. I hate that, there is missing the FF's best song My Grave. It is in other versions. If I e.g. broke my cd, I'll buy another one at the same day. // 10

Transgression Reviewed by: unregistered, on august 31, 2005

Sound: My first impression when I listened to the album was kind of dissapointing, because yes, fear factory showed a side they had never shown, songs like Supernova, new promise and the cover for U2's I Will Follow. Those are the ones that made me look back and say s--t what the f--k happended here? But then again they have some really bad ass songs, my favorites are 540,000 Degrees Fahrenheit, Contagion, Moment Of Impact. The sound was ok but I really missed Raymonds extremly well executed double kick drum and the futuristic classic Fear Factory sound. // 6

Lyrics: The lyrics are good, allthough the music did not do well as I expected, the message in the songs where amazingly realistic, I totally felt that vibe of the whole apocalyptic nuclear war topic. On the song echo of my scream I kind of compare it with memory imprints never end and timelessness, so I liked that one with the whole mellow caracteristic. // 8

Overall Impression: Its fair, not my favorite album indeed but I will say it's the one I less like, it's starts off good but in the middle of the album it gets really slow and kind of weak, but I like it anyways. And if it was stolen or lost I would buy the album indeed I will always be a Fear Factory fan no matter what, and support is what I can give to this band back after many songs of metal they've shared. // 6

More Fear Factory reviews rating latest review