Comfort In Sound Review

artist: feeder date: 01/23/2006 category: compact discs
feeder: Comfort In Sound
Released: May 20, 2003
Genre: Rock
Tones: Cathartic, Melancholy, Earnest, Intimate, Bittersweet, Reflective, Searching
Style: Post-Grunge
 Lyrics: 9.1
 9.1
 9.3
 8.8
Comfort In Sound Reviewed by: abs_n91, on january 23, 2006

Sound: Feeder are back on the music scene, and what an album to come back on! The band's new album is a much more calm, reflective, but still very much rock sounding album. The band, at time of writing were trying to overcome the grief brought about by the suicide by their former drummer and founder member, Jon Lee. Feeder, are however, still very popular and the songs on this album hit the charts at fairly high positions. // 9

Lyrics: As mentioned above, Feeder, at time of writing the album, were trying to overcome grief. The lyrics are reflective, sometimes sad, but also very bright in some places. Several mentions of death, love lost and suicide can be heard throughout tracks. But with songs like "Find The Clour," the band provide a much more positive feeling, 'cause now I can see that I love all the things that you do with each day. It just feels so damn good'. And with quick fade, "I miss you more than words can say, a part of me was torn away I miss you more than words quick fade', sings Grant Nicholas. And on that subject, the Feeder frontman, as always, provides a brilliant singing performance. I particularly like the way he can always sing for different moods - happiness, sadness and, in track 8 "Godzilla," absolute madness. // 10

Overall Impression: And, of course, like all good reviews, this one comes to an end. This album is brilliant and is a great follow on album from Echo Park. Though these songs have a slight hint of depression, the album still rocks. There is always a song for you, no matter what your mood is and what you feel like. There really is nothing to hate about this album. However, the only annoying thing is that the lyric book with the album only has one line from each song on one page, but the fantastic art work and arty, peaceful mood of the cover book makes up for that. As well as all this there is also a DVD which comes with the CD. It's also brill, with live performances, I particularly enjoyed "Buck Rogers" live from Reading, 2001. The DVD also has the "Just A Day" video. If I were to lose this album I would be sad, but I certainly would buy a new one. This is an album not to be missed, catchy tunes, beautiful lyrics and an overall enjoyable experience. This is gonna be one album you will love. I certainly love it! // 10

Comfort In Sound Reviewed by: j0nmcc, on september 06, 2003

Sound: Feeder's 2002 release did not disappoint me in anyway. Feeder have opted for a more softer sound this time round rather than their more heavier routine. The Tracks on this magnificent album are all [in my opinion] Tribute songs, to their late drummer Jon Lee who sadly committed suicide in early 2002 and the title of the album Comfort in Sound is definitely not an Understatement. Every Track is very individual, even though that most tracks are Soft, they never seem dull. // 8

Lyrics: Grant Nichols has truly excelled himself this time round with more meaningful lyrics that seem to come from the heart. A Lyric from their first track Come Back Around go, Come back around, I miss you around and is a remembering their old drummer. The lyrics in this album are truly brilliant and each word is in memory of Jon Lee. // 10

Overall Impression: Overall, I would say that this album is one of the best albums of the moment, and is always great to listen to. The best on this album include Come Back Around, Just The Way I'm Feeling, Forget about Tomorrow, Find The Colour, and the title Track Comfort in Sound. The only disappointing tracks on this album would have to be helium or Godzilla. A must Buy. // 10

Comfort In Sound Reviewed by: Pedge, on april 15, 2004

Sound: Comfort In Sound is Feeder's first album without drummer Jon Lee, so this time it's bound to be a little different with Mark Richardson. Compared to some of Feeder's other albums, the songs on the record are more peaceful, with a few exeptions. There are epic string-driven songs like Just The Way I'm Feeling and Forget About Tomorrow, heavy sleazier songs such as Helium and Godzilla, and reflective songs like Child In You and Love Pollution. So really there is a good mixture of songs. // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics are definitely some of Grant Nichlas' best, over the years with Feeder he has written many songs, good and bad, but the songs on Comfort In Sound are he's most emotional ones yet. And you know when he sings them, they fit he's voice perfectly. // 10

Overall Impression: Comfort In Sound is somewhat mellow some other stuff that's been released recently, but nethertheless still very good. The best songs have to be Come Back Around, the first single, the chart-topping Just The Way I'm Feeling and the inspiring last (but not least) track on the record, Moonshine. Overall one of Feeder's best works yet, although there could have been more rockier tracks, Helium and Godzilla take away that mellow effect of the album, but still good songs. It is worth buying if you're into modern Indie Rock, I know if I lost it I would buy it again, I'm crazy about Feeder. Good to listen to if you like quiet, mellow rock, but not suitable if you're after some heavy metal. // 8

Comfort In Sound Reviewed by: chinko, on may 19, 2004

Sound: The sound is particually impressive, this is the only feeder album I own and such cannot really compare it to others. However for a 'comeback' album after jon lee's death it isn't incredibly sad or mellow, it has slow songs, poppy songs, and good old rocking songs. The only thing i hate is quickfade with the annoying reversed guitar or sumthin. The violins and stuff really add effect to the album and make it unique. // 8

Lyrics: I think the lyrics are really good, they sink into you after a while and really affect you at time, like child in you makes me cry! However the lyrics in godzilla dont make sense! However i am a fan so i'll give it a 4. // 8

Overall Impression: I bought this album knowing it wouldnt have songs such as tangerine or others like that on it, so was suitably impressed when i played helium. The best songs have got to be : 'Child In You', 'Helium', 'Come Back Around'. I love the whole album, except for moonshine. Its tooo long! I would buy this album if it were losted! Nah lost or stolen, its already been scratched by someone so that makes a few songs turn annoying. It was worth the 12 i paid for it, however i wish i got the limited edition one! // 10

Comfort In Sound Reviewed by: piperm, on july 05, 2004

Sound: I think the album is an all round really good album, there's a mixed variety of syles as you would expect from an indie band which is really good, has a mixture of heavy metal/grunge in Godzilla, Rocky in Come Back Around and Just The Way Im Feeling, and soft Rock in Quickfade and forget about tomorrow and many more. // 10

Lyrics: I think the lyrics on all the songs are brilliants and Grant has pushed his vocal skills right to the limit and the lyrics match the music, well done grant. // 10

Overall Impression: I think this is the best album they've ever done easily one of the best indie albums about in my opinion, I would have to say my favourite songs off it are Quickfade, forget about tomorrow and love pollution but all the songs are greatto be honist, I love the whole album I don't think I got a bad thing to say about it except for the weird pictures on the covers n if it was stolen or broken or watever I would definitly go out and buy it again straight away, I can't wait for there next album, I will be one of the 1st to get it. // 10

Comfort In Sound Reviewed by: unregistered, on july 12, 2004

Sound: The Music on this album is uplifting and more mature than other albums. But its not all like that. The song Godzilla sounds like the band have gone crazy. Summers gine has a fitting title, as everything else on the album has had a summery feel, and now its the cold, bitter rain of the autumn. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics aren't exactly a masterpiece. In fact the lyric book only includes one line from each song. but then again, Feeder don't normally concentrate on lyric writing, more on the actual singing. Which brings me to my next point. Grant Nicholas is an excellent voice. The album wouldn't be the same if somebady else sang it. // 8

Overall Impression: This is by far the best Feeder album in my opinion. Although others will like the old style of Feeder, the poppy antics of Yesterday wnt too soon, I think this style is much better. Best tracks: Just The Way I'm Feeling, Comfort In Sound, Summers Gone, Farget About Tomorrow, Come Back Around. // 10

Comfort In Sound Reviewed by: >>AlbiN<<, on april 14, 2005

Sound: The sound of "Comfort..." is a long step away from Echo Park. Arguably the band's finest two albums, the second (Comfort In Sound) has turned away from the old Feeder sound of pop-punk-metal, and progressed towards a calmer yet still very much rock sound. The unique Feeder rock-guitar barre-chord sound still remains, and there are still several heavier, upbeat songs (e.g. Helium), but the band have grasped a new, almost serene edge to their songs - possibly influenced by the suicide of their drummer John. While before there were raw, powerful guitar lines there are now soft, moving string melodies. Previously unheard clean guitar sounds are now prominent, for example on the hit-single "Just The Way I'm Feeling." The album also uses more electronic, keyboard-generated sounds - the sound is far more progressive than any previous Feeder album. // 10

Lyrics: Grant is a brilliant songwriter, and his lyrics are creative and poetic. His lyric writing often returns to old themes - many lyrics can be heard in several songs! However, this does not ruin the edge, and there are of course many new lyrics. There has been contemplation as to the meanings of several songs - "Come Back Around" may have been written for Grant's dead friend and colleague John. // 8

Overall Impression: Certainly Feeder's most progressive album, if not their best. In my humble opinion this album is up there with the likes of Echo Park. The lyrics are also more inventive, the sounds are more diverse, and the album sleeve design is kind of cool. My personal favourite songs are: Come Back Around (a high-paced, upbeat song with moving lyrics), Child In You (a slow, dreamy song with a haunting guitar riff), Find The Colour (possibly the best song on the album; upbeat, sunny-day music with sharp lyrics and a memorable melody, Summer's Gone (heavier, almost like Nirvana meets Muse but with Grant Nicholas on vocals. A powerful chord progression and lots of distortion in the chorus). This is a great album, and all Feeder fans should certainly own (or illegally download) a copy! // 10

More Feeder reviews rating latest review
+ Generation Freakshow 8.9 02/25/2013