Polythene Review

Styles: Alternative Metal, Post-Grunge
 8.8
 9.5
Polythene Reviewed by: Pedge, on april 16, 2004

Sound: Polythene was the Feeder's first proper album, and turned rock into something diffrent in thier own way. A lot of Polythene is made up of sleaze rock and post grunge, which gives it a very dark mood indeed. The album has such songs like Feeder classics such as "High", "Descend" and "My Perfect Day", and still these songs are live favourites for the band even today. There are darker songs such as "Radiation" and "Tangerine" and softer melodies like "Suffocate" and "Change". Even though the sound on this album is a little older, and Feeder themselves are somewhat diffrent musically than other bands, Polythene is a great album and has a good variety of songs. *There are two diffrent versions of Polythene, an older one with a song called "Waterfall", but later on they re-released Polythene with the Smash Hit "High" and removed "Waterfall". // 8

Lyrics: It's hard to comment on Grant Nicholas' lyrics in this early attmpt. Some of he's lyrics in Polythene are plain odd. Like Tangerine; "I Know it's sad, life's just a peace of fruit" but some lyrics are just brilliant like High; "I'm going out for a while, so I can get high with my friends" and Change; "The more I see the more it hurts, the more we change, it all seems worse." They definitely make up for the good songs. // 8

Overall Impression: Compared to some of Feeder's other albums you might say that this one isn't very good at all. But you should be wrong, this is a great attempt for a first album, and very underrated. The best songs are no doubt the three songs I mentioned ealier (High, Descend and My Perfect Day) but of course there are Fan Favourites such as "Cement" and "Stereo World". I'd say if you wanted to get into Feeder start with this album. Although if you liked thier later album "Comfort In Sound" a lot, then you might not like "Polythene", unless you're a massive fan like me. // 8

Polythene Reviewed by: chinko, on may 24, 2004

Sound: Considering it's their first proper album after Swim, they have done a hell of a good job making it. It has the same poppy feel that was in echo, but much heavier, songs such as tangerine, crash and radiation use heavy riffs, whilst others such as my perfect day use lighter ones. good for fans of heavy music, nothing like the new albums. // 10

Lyrics: Some of the song lyrics are strange, to say the least, like tangerine, 'cellophane, Window Pane', 'lifes Just A Pece Of Fruit'. I would write the whole line, but I forgot it. However the other songs lyrics are great, they really get into you and are hard to forget. Grants voice is definately different in the album, alot different. // 8

Overall Impression: I bought this album after searching for years looking for it. It has just the kind of feeder I want in it, I hate the poppy songs like 'Buck Roger'.I love everything about this album. if I lost it I would buy it again for any price. Buy this album, but if you like comfort in sound then this album isn't really for you, unless you an incredibly big feeder fan like myself and pedge! Buy this album! Best album of 1997 metal hammer! Buy it now! // 10

Polythene Reviewed by: IndieMetalhead, on september 12, 2006

Sound: The original release of acclaimed album 'Polythene' from welsh rockers Feeder is a Little known one, usually found on ebay as it has been out of print for some time now. It was the first album they released after EP "Swim", and Featured 12 Tracks, unlike the re-released versions 13. This version of the CD Omits the classic fan favourite "High" and replaces the mellow "change" with the grungey "Waterfall". Soundwise, the bass is a little less proficient than Swim was, and grants vocals have improved over the year between the recordings. In a nutshell, Grant and the guys were aiming for a Smashing Pumpkins sound, and get pretty close (even subtly ripping off "today" in "Radiation"). // 7

Lyrics: Lyrics? Hmmm, generic shouty teenage angst lyrics. Little meaning behind the songs, but grant sings them well, and the only song that really lets me down is "Tangerine", with it's rather. Different lyrics. It does have it's shouty moments though, with a few catchy choruses. // 5

Overall Impression: As a companion to Swim, it seems like a pretty good step forward for the band, with a few tracks heading for a mellow side, while also keeping a heavy edge to it. However, compared to later albums (including pop sensation "Echo Park") it is a pretty lacklustre album. only really impressive songs are "Descend" (which was on Swim), Waterfall, Suffocate, Crash and Forgive. If this album was stolen, I'd try to find another copy, I paid 13 for mine! // 8

More Feeder reviews rating latest review
+ Generation Freakshow 8.9 02/25/2013