Silent Cry Review

Lyrics: 8.4
 8.8
 8.6
Silent Cry Reviewed by: Thom Yorke, on june 18, 2008

Sound: Feeder used to be a rock band, and I mean a proper rock band. Songs such as 'Descend' and 'Stereo World' off debut album Polythene rocked venues to their foundations as did others such as second album cut 'Insomnia'. But then drummer Jon Lee died and Grant Nicholas' songwriting improved, lyric wise, unfortunately the sound became a rather nasty Travis-Coldplay hybrid with only occasional songs packing any real rock punch. This is something Feeder have addressed on their new album, 'Silent Cry'. It's not too heavy so as to put off fans of their more recent releases but it's heavy enough to appease many fans who disapproved of the last two albums. Feeder have finally evolved to the stage when they have the ability to mix different sounds with reasonable results. Their sound also has something new to it, although it's hard to pinpoint quite what it is. Then you realise that it's not something the band have done with their playing style but the production, which Grant took care of himself this time. The instruments can be heard with a cleanness that may seem distinctly un-Feeder at first but it's something that can be appreciated when relistening to the album. // 7

Lyrics: 01. We Are The People - the lead single from the album, not one of the best tracks though. More for fans of the bands most recent work but it's the first sign of the balance between old and new that they've struck. Very emotive and uplifting lyrics. 02. Itsumo - Itsumo is japanese for 'always'. This is one of the best songs on the album: very anthemic and instantly memorable. Some nice singing from Grant too. 03. Miss You - this has been floating around for ages since the band gave it to their fans for free ages ago. It's the heaviest song on the album, really high-octane stuff. Gets a bit boring after a while though. 04. Tracing Lines - a very 'blend' song, as in it mixes old and new Feeder. The jury is out on this one for me. 05. Silent Cry - good lyrics, not very memorable but it's growing on me. 06. Fires - a real festival anthem this is going to be. The line: 'She lights the fires' will become engrained in your memory. One of Grant's best ever vocals in my opinion. 07. Heads Held High - very generic Feeder acoustic opening. It's placed at the wrong point in the album for me, slowing it down when it doesn't need slowing. Probably would've been better left as a b-side. 08. 8.18 - one of the best songs here. All that needs to be said. Love the intro too. 09. Who's The Enemy? - nice lyrics and nice vocals from Grant. The most complete sounding track on the album, possibly the best. 10. Space - not really a track, just a segue between two tracks. 11. Into The Blue - a less rocking version of old single 'Shatter'. Goes a bit weird in the chorus. 12. Guided By A Voice - not very imaginative, not very special, not very good. 13. Sonorous - a nice end to the album. This song gets better with each listen. Very uplifting end to the album. There are also two bonus tracks on the deluxe edition: 'Yeah Yeah' and 'Every Minute'. They aren't anything you should worry about missing but are decent enough. // 7

Overall Impression: Grant's lyrics have got better, I've been fed up of him using the same lines in so many different songs for years and the sound has evolved, if not necessarily got any better than that of 'Polythene' and YWTS. Not an essential purchase if you are not a Feeder fan: you won't get into them through this but if you are a fan of the band it's well worth the dosh. Essential tracks are: Itsumo, Miss You, 8 18, Who's The Enemy? // 7

Silent Cry Reviewed by: spoonylegs, on october 14, 2008

Sound: The bands sound is a mix of old and new from Feeder. It has returned to it's older ways and produced something heavier than the previous albums but still keeping the experiance and sound from these albums. This album has therefore come out sounding exceptionally good with a mix of sounds heavier and softer. // 10

Lyrics: Grant Nicholas has always been an amazing song writer and hasn't failed with this album. You tell from songs such as sonorous that he is affected by the death of john lee (the first drumer) and shows it in the lyrics of this song. The lyrics are also very good in we are the people where it is uplifting and shows how "its time to change and we the people can do that" I think the lyrics are inspirational and show that Feeder still have it in them to produce top quality music which only gets better with time. // 10

Overall Impression: My overall impression would be that is definatlly a step forward for Feeder and this will show in their next album. It is a mix of the two types of music they have produced in the past and this combination works. The most imprssive songs are Tracing Lines, Miss you and 8:18 however every song should be worth mentioning. I would also like to mention Yeah Yeah on the bonus tracks as that is trully amazing and a song like buck rogers which is so catchy it's worth buying the album all over again just for those songs. I would definattly buy this album again if it was stolen. // 10

Silent Cry Reviewed by: rpquincey, on june 17, 2008

Sound: Silent Cry is Feeder's latest studio album and continues the bands trend of thought provoking lyrics and catchy guitar riffs and drum fills. But don't think that this is just the same sound remade into a new album, oh no, you would be very very wrong. Feeder have been successfully changing their sound and style in every single album to date, starting off with a grungy sound in Polythene, moving on to something more melodic in Yesterday Went Too Soon, followed by the catchy pop rock of Echo Park, then the thoughtful Comfort in Sound and most recently the calm and soothing Pushing the Senses. This album is again something different with a mix of the catchy, the thoughtful and the downright brilliant. 'Miss You' was the first taste Feeder fans got of the new stuff via an exclusive download and didn't disappoint with it's clean sound and upbeat tempo, it didn't stray to far from what Feeder are best at, which is Rock music, but was different enough to signal something new and exciting from the Welsh, English and Japanese trio. The album as a whole feels more anthemic and powerful with 'We Are The People' being their flagship anthemic track. Things do occasionally slow down with 'Heads Held High' being a slower acoustic track but it is still in no way laid back. The only problem I have so far is the random 'Space' Track, which is simply 30 seconds of not much at all, it breaks up the feel of the album constantly going for it and is completely unnecessary. // 9

Lyrics: Yet again Grant Nicholas has shone through with his brilliant songwriting and singing skills, making the record more than just a record but a piece of art. The lyrics are always thought provoking and meaningful even in the more pop orientated songs and they are always delivered in Grants pitch perfect manner. One song confused me slightly though, 'Into The Blue' suddenly made me check to see if I was listening to Feeder or Madness as the way the chorus is sung very much in a Madness style, once you hear it you'll understand, and I strongly suggest you hear it as there isn't a track on here (excluding the 30 second random filler track) that will make you cringe. Not quite as deep as that of Comfort In Sound or Pushing The Senses lyrics, but those are seen more of the recovery tracks from ex Drummer Jon Lee's Suicide, while in this album you can see that they have moved on and recovered their style of emotion and pop rock. // 9

Overall Impression: All in all this is another stand out album, one that will sit proudly next to Yesterday Went too Soon and Echo Park as my all time favourite Feeder albums, I don't feel it beats them but in my opinion you would be pretty hard pushed to make anything better than those two gems. Certainly a step up from the slower and slightly disappointing 'Pushing The Senses' with a much less intense set of tracks but a lot of anthemic, 'stand up and belt out the lyrics' songs. The only problem I have is the 30 second filler in the middle of the album which I feel causes the album to break flow slightly, but ignore this slight blemish and you have a fantastic album with some of the best and most consistent songwriting you will hear for a long while, get it now before the legions of indie pop rockers and screamo bands take over the charts, give Feeder the credit they so wholly deserve. // 9

Silent Cry Reviewed by: Taco Chopper, on september 01, 2008

Sound: There has been a great amount of harsh reports from the people that are the music critics of this world about this latest release by Feeder. While it isn't as heavy as Polythene or Yesterday Went Too Soon, it combines the deep, thoughtful lyrics seen previously in Comfort In Sound, Pushing The Senses, and to a lesser extent, Echo Park. After the 2002 suicide of drummer Jon Lee, one would have thought that Feeder wouldn't have made it this far, let alone make an album as good as Comfort In Sound, follow it up with Pushing The Senses and then this. The vast majority of songs (the minority being "Space" - a totally pointless track that would've been better as an download-only ringtone) show that Feeder are brilliant at making extremely catchy songs that get stuck in your head (well, my head anyway) for a great period of time. I have no idea what the crow has to do with the cover though, yet I've noticed that it has been used on all the single releases (Miss You, We Are The People and Tracing Lines/Silent Cry). // 9

Lyrics: Like I said before, Grant's deep lyrics combined with the grunge sound of early Feeder really does this album a whole lot of good - "Miss You" Even "Space" has relatively interesting lyrics - it didn't deserve to be a track by itself. Had it been at the end of "Who's The Enemy" or the start of "Into The Blue", I wouldn't have cared less. For some reason, I think of "A Day In The Life" by The Beatles when I hear "Heads Held High" - absolutely no idea why, but I thought I'd throw that in. But I can't compare Feeder to The Beatles. That'd be a stupid thing to do. "Guided By A Voice" is a fantastic song too - I really love the chorus "It's our time/So think about it/I know you wanted to". I believe that this is related to the late Jon Lee, just by hearing the lyrics. Lead single "We Are The People" has been unfairly judged - it's a good opening track, but it's fair to say that it shouldn't have been chosen as the lead single. Had that role been handed to "Who's The Enemy" or "8.18", then maybe Feeder would have had a higher charting single, and perhaps, if by mysterious circumstances involving Coldplay not releasing Viva La Vida, their first number one album. "Itsumo" is also an interesting piece of music too, and "Sonorous" is so very Muse-inspired that it isn't funny. However, I do get a bit fed up with the synths, but apart from that, it is one good album. // 8

Overall Impression: I've always loved Grant's vocals - his voice is rather unique, much like Liam Gallagher (Oasis) or Kelly Jones (Stereophonics). Nothing like that generic indie sound of Kaiser Chiefs, Dogs Die In Hot Cars or Franz Ferdinand. They all sound the same. Feeder don't. While they still haven't got the calibre of bands like Stereophonics, they can still pull in a crowd with their great anthems. It wouldn't be a first choice to give to people to start them off, but it would definitely be the third, right behind Comfort In Sound and Echo Park. If the album was stolen, I would buy it again. // 9

Silent Cry Reviewed by: Matty_Feeder, on january 12, 2009

Sound: Silent Cry brings Feeder's sound to new levels, and yet, there are also nostalgic references to their underestimated catalogue of efforts throughout the new installment. The band has taken the fragile melodies of their previous 2 records and given them that punchy, upbeat energy of their early work. Bouncy pop choruses found in "Tracing Lines" or "8:18" tip their muso hats to the late nineties era of the band's second full length, whereas the scuzzy grunge bridge of "Who's The Enemy?" is reminiscent of the recently post-Nirvana days of Feeder's earliest efforts such as "Swim". This overall sound gives a ranging appeal to both old and new fans of the band, and indeed may catch the ears of radio listeners alike. // 8

Lyrics: The engine under the bonnet of Feeder's vehicle of creativity is frontman Grant Nicholas. Essentially, other than with their pop hits, Grant's lyrical output is difficult to decipher, hidden under emotional metaphor. This can be frustrating for the budding lyricist/fan, however on the new record Grant seems to have opened up. Having recently become a father, Grant has given a more positive edge to his choice of words on this outing. Bulldozing closer "Sonorous" features an uplifting chorus of "Don't give up, you have us, and we'll find a way", as well as the shift of both music and lyricism from minor to major in "Heads Held High", with the strength of Grant's voice climbing up as he reflects with "there's something; telling me that everything's alright". Being a shy vocalist, Grant continues to grow as both a performer and writer, displaying an exceptional vocal performance on the record coinciding with his increasing confidence with words. // 8

Overall Impression: Overall, this album sees Feeder take the best from both ends of their musical spectrum and put out arguably their best record to date. The band do what they do best on this album, make good guitar music. Whether you're a fan of acoustic, heartbreaking songs, or giant storms of distorted rock chords, this has it all. Buy it. // 9

More Feeder reviews rating latest review
+ Generation Freakshow 8.9 02/25/2013