Yesterday Went Too Soon Review

Style: Post-Grunge
 9.3
 9.6
Yesterday Went Too Soon Reviewed by: kryptonite22, on december 17, 2003

Sound: Speak to any big Feeder fan and they'll tell you the same... "Yesterday Went Too Soon" is the best album. It's got the upbeat, pacy melodies that everyone loves about Feeder, then there's a selection of mellower, acoustic tracks. It's not as commercial as "Echo Park" or "Comfort In SOund", it was this album that began to bring them into the mainstream. Combining the Britpop sound (Oasis, Blur, etc) that was around at the time of Feeder's emerging with faster, more electrically-orientated tunes, Feeder manage to create an album that showcases pretty much every style of music they can play. // 8

Lyrics: As always is the case with Feeder, the lyrics are good. They are the kind of lyrics that you can sing along to and make sense of at the same time. Grant Nicholas is one of the most underrated lyricists in modern rock. Hopefully, with their new-found fame, he will get more attention. He also has a great voice, and links this so well with the lyrics. // 10

Overall Impression: To me, this is probably Feeder's best overall album. Whilst not holding such tracks as "Buck Rogers" or "Just A Day", there are still some fans' favourites on here. For example "Hole In My Head", "Insomnia" and "Waiting For Changes", as well as the title track, which is an excellent slower song. It's definitely worth buying, particularly if you're a fan of Feeder. I love the way that you can put it down for so long and still remember the words when you stick it back in the CD player. It's a true modern classic, better than the last two Feeder albums and definitely one that I'd buy again if it were lost or stolen. // 8

Yesterday Went Too Soon Reviewed by: Mike17, on july 12, 2006

Sound: In their second full-length album (third overall), feeder have certinley brought a lot of new ideas with the yesterday went too soon album. The first song anesthetic, has a guitar at the start, then at 0:16, everything else kicks in. Part of it is mellow, while another part is solid, hard rock. After the second track, insomina, you will get to listen to softer, more mellow tracks including yesterday went too soon, this has grant's keyboards at its best. The eleventh track is very fast and energetic. Some of the bands music in this album sound like green day but a lot better such as insomnia and hole in my head, although the vocals easily tell you it is not, the guitar sure fools some people. Other songs are more like muse or radio head. The sound is certinley better than polythene (debut full-length album). // 9

Lyrics: The best song lyrics are that of yesterday went too soon, day in day out, hole in my head and bubblehead (hidden track). The lyrics are not as good as comfort in sound the album but are much better than echo park. Grant has great singing skills, and a variety of voice tones although in a few he can sound the same. // 8

Overall Impression: Hole in my head is certinley the best song on the album. Great guitar flow and vocals. I love everything about the album apart from some parts of tinsel town, and paperfaces that seem to get a bit boring. This is one album I would get again if I had to. // 10

Yesterday Went Too Soon Reviewed by: chinko, on june 12, 2004

Sound: The songs on this album are excellent, acoustics such as tinsel town and heavy rockers like hole in my head. However some songs are just plain weird, for example Anasthetic has the dodgiest, most headache inducing riff ever, which make me give it a 4 rather than a 5. // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics are excellent, second to none, and incredibly memorable. Even thinking of the name of the song brings back the lyrics, they're that catchy. // 10

Overall Impression: It is slighty more britpop than swim and polythene, however not as commercial as echo park or CIS. This is an excellent album, I love most of the songs except Anasthetic (ouch headache). It was worth more that the 6 I payed (thanx music zone!) and if it was lost/ stolen I would not hesitate to buy it again. // 10

Yesterday Went Too Soon Reviewed by: rpquincey, on june 01, 2006

Sound: The third of Feeders Albums after Swim and Polythene, both fantastic albums, and this promised to be just as good. Feeders sounds have evolved since these earlier albums from heavy, grungier sounds to much more melodic, clean music, mostly after the suicide of their drummer Jon Lee. This album however had a mixed bag, it had the clean, chilled out sounds of single 'Yesterday Went Too Soon' and 'Picture Of Perfect Youth', the lively, upbeat sing-a-long songs 'Insomnia' and 'Hole In My Head' and the heavier, distorted sounds of 'Waiting For Changes'. Fantastic mix of genres thrown in which gives the album a lot of variety. // 9

Lyrics: Feeders lyrics are always impressive and delivered with perfection by vocalist Grant Nicholas, hitting the high and low notes flawlessly. No one could replace Grants place as lead singer in the band du to his unique sounds and fantastic songwriting ability. 'Yesterday Went Too Soon' springs to mind again, it was described as the perfect song to listen to in an open top car, wind in your hair just after you've split up with your partner. Couldn't have put it better myself! The song 'Paperfaces' also has some stand out lyrics ('Staring at paperfaces/Expressions like empty pages/Day after day'). There is the odd hiccup though, 'Hole In My Head', even though it is a catchy, upbeat and fun song it's lyrics seem quite weak comparing to the other tracks. // 8

Overall Impression: Overall it is a fantastic album, with a very varied mix of tracks and would be a pretty good start for anyone just getting into Feeder. Even after all these years it still keeps its 'Listenablity' (and I know that isn't a real word, but you get the point). Not able to compete with the likes of 'Comfort In Sound' (The 'Post Jon Lee' album) but is a real advancement from 'Polythene' and 'Swim'. Great album, and the even better thing is you can get it for just 5.99 of the Feeder website (www.feederweb.com). // 10

More Feeder reviews rating latest review
+ Generation Freakshow 8.9 02/25/2013