Short Bus Review

filter: Short Bus
Released: 1995
Genre: Rock
Styles: Industrial Metal, Industrial, Alternative Pop/Rock, Post-Grunge
Filter's debut reflects post-NIN state-of-the-art industrial pop, which means Short Bus is indeed more pop than industrial.
 9.7
 9.3
review (1) user comments vote for this album:
Short Bus Reviewed by: unregistered, on may 18, 2005

Sound: To be perfectly honest with any fans of industrial or just good, pure, simple, riffed up metal out there this album is pretty sweet. It's extremely raw, heavy, dark, lush and lead singer Richard Patrick has an excellent screaming voice. All the drums on this album were created by a drum machine (like most industrial tunes) and the bass line pretty much just flows with each guitar progression. I saw these guys in concert (with Sevendust and Gravity Kills) back in 2002 and to this day it was one of the best concerts I'd ever been to. Once you hear this album it will make you wanna D-tune your guitar and play some Helmet/Filter-esque tunes. The album was recorded on an eight track with Richard and then lead guitarist Brian Liesgang and the sound originated when Patrick was a touring guitarist with Nine Inch Nails. He contributed to the album Pretty Hate Machine (arguably the greatest industrial album ever) and once he left the band he formed Filter in a basement in Chicago. Although Brian left the band after this album, their sound remains very independent from anyone else out there and each album has its own unique flavor to it. // 10

Lyrics: My impression of the lyrics were that they were full of aggression and talent. Patrick can flat out scream (he can actually be understood unlike most of the screamers out there today). The lyrics fit each song perfectly and although I don't consider them to be emotinally deep or anything smushy like that they are awesome songs to sing/scream to when you're listening to them. I believe that Filter's best lyrical works were reserved for their next album, Title of Record. However that definately does not diminish these ones at all. // 8

Overall Impression: This is an excellent album. The best thing about it is that for any young guitarist this is a cool and easy album to put in and learn some D-tune songs to. What impresses me about this album is that it showcases a band that has pretty much flown under the radar since this debut album in 1995, yet they remain to stay true to their fans and their own uniqueness. This however is definately not an album to put in if your looking for amazing guitar work and solos, but this is an album to put in if you are pissed or if you just flat out want to discover a kickass band who has 2 platinum albums under its belt. They have multiple radio hits including "Hey Man Nice Shot," "Trip Like I Do feat. Crystal Method," "Take A Picture," "Welcome To The Fold," "The Best Things" and off their 3rd album the Amalgamut "Where Do We Go From Here." No doubt an awesome debut by an awesome band. // 10

More Filter reviews rating latest review
+ The Sun Comes Out Tonight 7.8 06/05/2013