Say Hello To Sunshine Review

finch: Say Hello To Sunshine
Released: Jun 7, 2005
Genre: Post-Hardcore, Emo
Label: Drive-Thru
This album is another amazing record from Finch. This album is a definite must-buy.
 Lyrics: 8.3
 8.9
 8.5
 9.2
Say Hello To Sunshine Reviewed by: ceg032006, on june 27, 2005

Sound: I have just bought the newest Finch CD, and I expected it to be just as good as the last album. However, I was disappointed because the sound has changed much. The sound has gotten rougher and doesn't have that original Finch sound that it had on their album before "Say Hello To Sunshine." The album doesn't have those memorable songs like "Letters To You" and "What It Is To Burn." You kinda have to have the songs grow on you to like them. // 6

Lyrics: The lyrics have also changed. It seems like Nate either got a better volcabulary list between "What It Is To Burn" and "Say Hello To Sunshine," or he used a dictionary when he wrote the lyrics for "Say Hello To Sunshine." The lyrics made me think about what in the world the song was saying. I couldn't even begin to understand what the song was about. I believe the lyrics could have been better written to where people can understand what the song is about just like "Letters To You." // 6

Overall Impression: If you are a big Finch fan just like me, you probably thought "Say Hello To Sunshine" was going to be another excellent Finch album, but it isn't. You should probably just wait until you find the CD at some pawn shop and get it. Don't waste your money. The best songs on the album are "Bitemarks And Bloodstains," "Insomniatic Meat," and "Bleed Brother Bleed." Although this seems to be a bad review, I am a huge Finch fan and I have long waited and anticipated this album. But I have been let down. // 8

Say Hello To Sunshine Reviewed by: unregistered, on july 06, 2005

Sound: When I bought this album I had already heard that it was a lot different from Finch's previous work but that it would grow on you. Well I've had the album for about two weeks or so now but I just can't make myself really like it. They still have their unique way of writing songs, not just the "verse, chorus, verse, chorus, interlude, chorus," which is something I always liked about ol' Finch. And it's still easy to tell that they are a very talented band but the sound just isn't great and doesn't really work on this album. // 6

Lyrics: I honestly can't tell you too much about the lyrics; I guess they're about as good as what was on the previous album. Now, though, they just don't flow as well with the music. // 6

Overall Impression: The only song I really enjoy on this album is the first track and I don't even recall the name of it at the moment. To me that says enough if I can't remember the name of the song. And the only reason I remember the song Bitemarks and Bloodstains is because it was the first single and video from the album, but even that song gets annoying and the verse is the only thing I like about it and that's the second best track on the album. I guess I'm really more annoyed that it took Finch three years to make this and I was ecstatic when I heard they were coming out with it. What It Is To Burn was a masterpiece to me but apparently Finch got stuck with the sophomore album curse. // 4

Say Hello To Sunshine Reviewed by: imnopunkrocker, on august 12, 2005

Sound: The sound is quite different and is the only decent thing on this album. It has a few different sounds of guitar that aren't used often, at least what I've heard. The first album beats this one by a long shot. // 6

Lyrics: The lyrics are pretty much the same the whole way through. Angry and violent. Where's the love? The album would be great if Nate wasn't singing. He sucks at it this album and sould just give up now before he kills anyone. // 4

Overall Impression: It reminds me of people like Staind and Slipknot and all that hard-rock crap. Punk rock is the way to go. The only song I can listen to every once and a while is Bitemarks And Bloodstains other then that it sucks. I should of keeped the money I spent on it and bought a different CD like Atreyu or My Chemical Romance or some other good band. Hard rock sucks a monkey. // 4

Say Hello To Sunshine Reviewed by: duncang, on september 19, 2005

Sound: Much heavier than What It Is To Burn, and better for it. The guitar is complicated, though I can't say if its hard because iv never tryed any. Very differing drum beats too. Most of the riffs are offbeat and strange, but all the better for it. Top-class. // 10

Lyrics: I love Finch's singer, although I know a few people who hate him. His shreiking is one of the only singers shreik I quite like (unlike Trivium), although he does overdo it a bit. The lyrics themselves arent much, but the chorus lines are always really catchy, especially in "Insomniatic Meat," "Fireflies" and "Bitemarks And Bloodstains." // 8

Overall Impression: 01. Insomniatic Meat - great romp with a roof-raising chorus, and a great part where the singer shreiks 10/10. 02. Revelation Song - I don't like the opening much, but then it goes into a great riff and another almighty chorus. The weird thing is the next time it goes into the opening part, it actually sounds better. Weird 9/10. 03. Brother Bleed Brother - the riff and verse promise a lot, and the chorus lives up to it 9/10. 04. A Piece Of Mind - best riff so far, with a great double guitar thing going on. The chorus hasnt got the same appeal, but is still great 10/10. 05. Ink - the riff is very Blink 182-ish, and it scares me, until the verse gets in and it all goes sinster. The chorus it fucking powerful, and sounds like its designed to raise venue roofs 10/10. 06. Fireflies - overall good song, with a catchy-as-a-blunt-knife chorus, and good bass throughout. One of the best songs 10/10. 07. Hopeless Host - this is what I mean by weird riff, but the verse is great. The chorus does nothing for me though 7/10. 08. Reduced To Teeth - nice, good in general, with screamy bits too 8/10. 09. A Man Alone - catchy is the word. The chorus has one hell of a hook to it. The drum in the verse is a bit un-Finch, but the song is very good 10/10. 10. Miro - one of the lowlights of the album, but the chorus still keeps the trend of catchy choruses in this album 8/10. 11. Ravenous - Jesus. Very mad indeed. The verse could actually make a good chorus if it was a bit louder. Crazy song, but brilliantly so 9/10. 12. Bitemarks And Bloodstains - Finch left their big single until number 12 on the album? What are they on? But anyway, this song is near-perfect, with a verse which makes you know something great is coming, but your wrong. Something absolutely mindblowing is coming. The chorus has a hell of a punch to it, and this is easily one of the best songs by Finch ever. The lyrics make no sense, but sound great with the music 10/10. 13. The Casket Of Roderick Usher - wow, crazy. This singer in parts is like Justin Timberlake on helium and ecstasy. Weird or what? This song is totally overheavy and mad. But is still quite good 8/10. 14. Dreams Of Psilocybin - the beginning sounds like somebody practicing some karate moves or something. Then he goes crazy, and then it goes into a weird song, with 3 vocal layers, one doing a sinister whisper, one singing normal, and one with a trapped voice. The chorus has a hook too. Weird song, but not a bad one to finish with 9/10. // 10

Say Hello To Sunshine Reviewed by: unregistered, on september 20, 2005

Sound: This is one hell of a progression on their previous effort. Having struggled with producers such as Mark Trombino (who aparently wanted to create another WIITB) they eventualy turned to Jason Cupp and persuaded him to let Finch themselves co-produce the majority of the tracks. As a result, Finch clearly produced what they wanted and have destroyed any expectations you may have had of them cashing in on the success of WIITB. Randy's guitar work is outstanding and is like nothing iv ever heard ranging from crashing riffs in album opener, 'Insomniatic Meat', 'A Piece Of Mind' and 'Revelation Song', to the jazz-like 'Ink' which is destined to become a classic with a huge chorus that will stick in your head for weeks and raise venue roofs everywhere. The arrival of Marc Allen on drums is another huge step forward and I think makes the band a lot tighter and more of a coherant unit with the drums and base reigning in the schizophrenic (and occasionaly disjointed), yet utterly inspired, guitar work. // 10

Lyrics: Before I start this section il just say I have seen Finch twice the latest being in Manchester in May and the improvement in their overall live performance was simply incredible, most noteably in Nate's voice where he didnt miss a note all night, making the adjustment from croon to scream mid-song seem easy when anyone who has performed lives knows that it is anything but. I'm biased in this area as Nate Barcalow is my favourite vocalist/lyricists and has greatly influenced my own writing. His lyrics on this album, whilst more cryptic, have lost none of their impact and are fitting in the general advancement on WIITB. His voice seems to have grown in power and is very emotive although it does take a few listens to work out what he is singing about. The subject matter throughout the album is clearly very personal to Nate and seems largely to be about him battling his own demons. This becomes most apparent on 'Insomniatic Meat', and 'A Piece Of Mind' (2 of my personal favourites on the album). He quite clearly is not content singing about the standard emo/screamo topics, you know the ones - boy loves girl, girl dumps boy coz hes such an emotional mess blah blah blah and whilst what I originaly loved about Finch was Nate's ability to tap into personal, complex empotions and sing about them in a general way so that it could be understood on a global scale, I have grown up since I purchased WIITB as a vulnerable 14 yr old and clearly so have Finch. Ultimately, the lyrics suit the more progressive tone of the album and present much more of a challenge to the listener. // 10

Overall Impression: Although it is an obvious starting point (and I have done it myself on a number of occassions), it is not realy fair to compare SHTS to WIITB as they are so different in tone and subject matter. There are some clear influences such as Faith No More and Glassjaw with a hint of Deftones, and yet Finch have created an album that is void of any label or genre I can think of and for that alone I think they should be applauded. Instead of instantly cashing in and producing WIITB prt2, they took their time (perhaps a little too much time) allowing their fanbase to mature in order to produce such an accomplished and intelligent, yet emotionaly raw masterpiece. Highlights include 'Insomniatic Meat', 'A Piece Of Mind', 'Ink' and 'Casket Of Roderick Usher'. If I lost this album I would go out and buy 2 copies just to make sure I always had a copy and then id take out an insurance policy on one of them and put the other in a big vault to keep it safe. I love this album it is quickly becoming my favourite of all time, give it the chance to do the same to you. // 10

Say Hello To Sunshine Reviewed by: unregistered, on may 06, 2006

Sound: All right guys, let's quit with the bashing of the new Finch CD. First of all, you don't hear music like this at all. This CD is one of a kind. It's unique, ambitious, coherent, artistic, and thoughtful. It's a stroke of genius, in short. While I am a big fan of "What It Is To Burn", this one blows it out of the water. I guess it depends on what you're into, but it's great. If you want some more pop-punk a la "What It Is To Burn" go buy some! Quite complaining because this band had rejected the cookie cutter and, quite honestly, have made an amazing CD. // 9

Lyrics: This singer's skills? Undeniably amazing. The range on this guy is very impressive. He screams with nearly unparalelled skill. And in the quiet parts where he talks with the deep voice? That's freaking cool. The lyrics? Well, if you're too lazy to give it some effort and try to figure out what he's saying, don't even bother. Songs that make you think are the best ones, and if it doesn't hit you immediately, give it some thought, break out the dictionary, and enjoy it! This world is becoming excessively thoughtless, and it's good to see a band put some thought into their lyrics. Not as amazing lyrics as thursday or thrice, but still very impressive. // 8

Overall Impression: Well that about covers it. What it is to burn, undeniably, was a fun album and it had some strengths. But it was nothing different or interesting. It was another poppy/punkish/emoish effort, just like a million other artists doing the same thing. This one's different and it rocks. So all of you "What It Is To Burn" fanatics who are bashing this record for being different should either open your mind or close your mouth and go buy some crappy MCR or something, not that I'm bitter. // 9

Say Hello To Sunshine Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 07, 2005

Sound: This album is another amazing record from Finch. The guitars, now Fenders not Gibsons, have an excellent sound to them. There isn't as much variety on this album as What It Is To Burn, the guitars sound mostly hardcore. There are some wicked riffs like in the intro for Bitemarks And Bloodstains. There is a new drummer, I can't say whether he is as good as the old one but there aren't as many drum role intros. This album is a definite must-buy. If you like emo, nu-metal, hardcore or even punk, you will love this album to pieces. Say Hello To Sunshine is a great new album. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics seem pretty random and unusual. Definitly original, and anyone can interpret the lyrics in their own waqy - as Nate says in an interveiw, he was right. His voice is excellent, hes a great screamer and singer. He has one of them 'stand-out voices', I love it. His voices changes whenever necassary and there are parts in this album that stand out because of the singing. Great lyrics and singing. // 10

Overall Impression: It can't be compared to the old album, it is too different. The other one was more punk/emo/nu-metal, this one is more hardcore. A lot more screamo. My favourite song is Bitemarks And Bloodstains and the rest come close second. Ink is great, Brother Bleed Brother is also great. They all are, buy and listen yourself. I love this album for everything about it, guitar sounds, riffs, lyrics, singing - everything. I would buy again if I lost it or murder who've stole it. Buy this album and say hello to sunshine. // 10

Say Hello To Sunshine Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 08, 2005

Sound: Soundwise this CD is defintely different from What It Is To Burn. As far musical evolution (or devolution) that is probably up to the listener to decide. Me personally I think they have grown and unlike a lot recent bands like the used they have definitely gotten heavier. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are alot darker then there previous album. I personally like it. Nate is definitely good at what he does. The lryics seem very open to interperation. I also feel that the lryics are way more mature then they previous album also. The lryics arent as commerical friendly. and even the titles are not that pretty "Bitemarks & Bloodstains" or "Bother Bleed Bother." // 8

Overall Impression: Overall I am not going to say this is the best album of the year (System Of A Down has that award). But it's definitely one of the best rock albums to come out in 2005. I love the fact that they got heavier and darker. My favorite tracks are "Bother Bleed Bother" and "Bitemarks & Bloodstains," the only thing I disliked about this album is this album is there is not a lot of screaming like the 1st. Other then that great album from a great band. // 10

Say Hello To Sunshine Reviewed by: 70x7, on june 08, 2005

Sound: Finch keeps the great music coming with their sophomore album, "Say Hello To Sunshine." The sound on this album cannot be compared to their first album, "What It Is To Burn" because this album makes them sound like a completely different band. The songs are heavier, and have a lot more screaming than the first. No emo on this disc. // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics are weird and unusual in a Red Hot Chili Peppers kind of way, but are a lot darker than the lyrics on "What It Is To Burn." Nate shows us on this album that he can scream as well as he can sing. // 10

Overall Impression: As I said before, this album in no way can be compared to their first album, but is an entirely new sound from Finch. The most impressive songs from the album are: Brother Bleed Brother, A Piece Of Mind, Ink, and Bitemarks And Bloodstains. Pretty much everything on this CD is excellent, but I have to admit that the screamo aspect of it all is overdone on some songs. If this album was stolen or lost, I would definitely pick it up again. Another great one by Finch. // 8

Say Hello To Sunshine Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 09, 2005

Sound: All I can say is "Say Hello To Sunshine" is a definate step forward. Nates voice has improved and the band plays alot more technical now. Though it's a step into the darkness, you can hear how the band has matured and hopefully the fans of 'What It Is To Burn' give it a chance with open ears and an open mind before they make any final desicions with this album. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are always amazing for frontman Nate. "Hate sin not the sinner," "Sifting season in the sand, spitting treason in your hand," "No sympathy for the devil, god gave him wings, god gave him wings" all his words fit the music perfectly. Nates voice is a little harder to swallow on some tracks. But it still shows how unique his voice is. And he plays his intrument well. (His voice that is). // 10

Overall Impression: Nate's favorite band is 'Faith No More' and you can definately hear a little bit of that style here. But obviously a more hardcore version. The most impressive tracks are "Insomniatic Meat," "A Man Alone" and my personal favorite "Dreams Of Psilocybin" that song is the wierdest song ever! And at first listen you might be thinking "wtf!?" But listen to the last minute of that song and I garantee you will s--t your pants, that's how good it is! The overall album is amazing but you have really have to listen to the whole album a few times before you can really apreciate the change finch has grown into. Every track has its suprises but you have to remember: this is not anything like 'What It Is To Burn" so when listening, pretend it's an entirely diff band. And right away you'll love it. If this CD was lost or stolen, I'd but it the second I noticed it was missing because this CD marks when Finch broke away from the overly played out 'emo/screamo' scene. And entered a leauge of the own. // 10

Say Hello To Sunshine Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 10, 2005

Sound: Let me start off by saying I was terribly disappointed in this album. Finch after producing my favorite album of all time, took a turn to being just another wanna be glassjaw esque bands. The lyrics and the sound on "Say Hello To Sunshine" are unremarkably similar to Glassjaw and I hate Glassjaw (except for the songs the lead singer sang on the Finch album). Nate dropped his semi-pop screamo voice, for a more nu-metalish bland voice that thousands of bands have today. // 6

Lyrics: The album definitely has a darker feel to it. Instead of singing about real life emotions. Nate takes a cliche death rape blood metaphor to represent his feelings. This albums lyrics are more complex but they don't have that Finch feel to them. You can't sing along anymore either! It seems Finch has lost their message. // 4

Overall Impression: If it were just about any other band than Finch I would have rated this album higher. But I had great expectations after more than 2 years since the release of "What It Is To Burn," for this one to be a change in a better direction. Good songs are "Bitemarks And Bloodstains," "Bleed Brother Bleed," "Ravenous," and "Ink." Bad songs: pretty much all the rest. They are still good live, and still one of the best modern bands today, but this album will definitely not be regularly played in my collection. I'll listen to it some more, but I don't think I'll change my mind. // 6

Say Hello To Sunshine Reviewed by: grooved, on june 11, 2005

Sound: This album is really different to 'WITTB', for me that album had a kind of metal shine to all the songs, a kind of high polished digitized sound. Which was fine, this album though feels much more rough, alternative and gritty. The drumming (new drummer) is very different with there being no double bass pedal, where as on the last album there was loads. Everything here is unpredictable and raw, the guitar playing really loose (choppy rhythms) and crazy (bizzare leads). So it's not quite as 'catchy' when its first heard, I found as I listened to it over and over it improves greatly. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are moody and dark, on the opening track Nate crys 'Oh my god I think I'm blind' and then later screams 'This is the worst thing that you have ever done'. All good stuff really, highly original in places and great to hear. Nate's singing is also very different. On the last album I found Nate would just sing in his 'normal' voice then Scream loudly. On Say Hello To Sunshine he makes much more of an effort. He still screams and sings, but he mixes the two much more effectively. He growls, barks and howls through some songs. Sometimes sounding simular to the way the Corey from Slipknot would sing on their new album, although not quite as intense. A great example would be 'Ink', one of the best songs on the album. // 10

Overall Impression: For me this is way better than the last album. The first seven or eight tracks are awesome. I really enjoyed them, more hardcore alt. punk than metal. With better guitar playing (I play myself so it was great for me to hear). Some of the songs towards the end aren't as good, they just fail to excite in the ways the opening tracks do. I can imagine alot of Finch fans not liking this one, because it is so different. I was really reminded of Refused 'the Shape Of Punk To Come' when listening to this album. Closing comments would be that this album is f--king great, just not like there last one. // 10

Say Hello To Sunshine Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 15, 2005

Sound: Listen to this once for the first time and I am positive you will think 'err what was that?' If you are truely apprieciative of music you will see this album for what it really is - a musical masterpeice! It's so experiment and dark and people who want music for a catchy tune and rhythm should probably look somewhere else. The guitar sound has definatly changed its much more raw and less processed coming out of those 'orange' amps and the riffs are so unpredictable its really refreshing to hear something like this! The drums are played by a brand new guy and done very well I must say they are also very experimental with rhythms including actual tone also. The vocals are amazingly powerful as always and Nate has given himself much more variation than on the last album some of the time doing what can only really be described as agressive talking but it works so well I don't think anyone will seem to mind. It's basically not even music its just a whole new breed of expression. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are extremely dark but they are done in a way that will never condemm finch to the label of 'gothcore'. Nate is very creative with the words and you can tell this has taken a large amount of time to produce something so insightful. // 10

Overall Impression: Finch have moved in such a different direction from the last album many many previous fans will be put off but I think they will continue to push their music with future recordings and create something even better. The difference between funeral for a friend and finch has been hugely widened with this new album although I love both greatly I must say I admire finch for the way they have handled this. Many bands stick to a style for a few albums and then change and do something new for example Blink 182 but finch have changed after just one full length album. Each song has its own something special about it I don't think I could say what the best song is as they are all so different. The album gets better each time I listen to it I love it so much more than I did at first as I keep noticing new things each time. Go buy it! // 10

Say Hello To Sunshine Reviewed by: greymatter, on june 17, 2005

Sound: Wow Finch's sound has matured so much since their last album! They use a more broad range of effects as well as blending the two guitars beautifully. Their style has changed from pop-punk to a more hardcore approach to every aspect of their music on "Say Hello To Sunshine." // 10

Lyrics: Overall, Nate has definately put more into his lyrics this time around. They are definately still dealing with real life situations/emotions and Nate ties them all together appropriately and beautifully. // 10

Overall Impression: Compared to the first CD "What It Is To Burn," "Say Hello To Sunshine" definately sticks out and will grab the attention of a broader fanbase. Even all the listeners who figured they were "too hardcore" to listen to Finch's first album will enjoy this one! I love the melodic guitar riffs, the effects, the lyrics, and the way it's all tied together. If it were ever stolen/lost, it is definately worth buying again hands down. // 10

Say Hello To Sunshine Reviewed by: unregistered, on july 26, 2005

Sound: For all those fans wanting to hear another 'Letters To You' or 'Stay With Me' there are 20,000 bands out now with the same sound, go buy one of there CD's because Finch is never returning to that sound. They are trying something different and they get a 5 for that too. Sure they sound a lot like an updated cross between Faith No More (from Angel Dust On) and Glassjaw. But Finch already wrote Letters and Burn. If the catchy type songs like 'Letters' or 'Stay With Me' are what you are looking for forget about Finch, they will never write songs like that agian. They just have moved on from that type of music. I wish those fans who say they love Finch but want them to keep writing music like that could just understand things change and deal with it. If that mans you're not a fan anymore, something tells me it won't really bother them. Sure this CD grows on you, but those are the best kind anyway. If I listen to a CD and like it instantly, I grow tired of it in about 3 months. I discover new and exciting things about each one of these songs every time I listen to them and I have had the CD a month before it was released. Since everyone comments about Nate and the other members, I'll comment on Marc Allen, the new drummer. Unlike Pappas who played a machine like style (think Travis Barker - Blink 182), Allen playes a loose and innovative style that actually make the drums not sound so repetitive (think Stephen Perkins - Jane's Addiction), yet Allen is sooo good at the drums and his style, he holds down the band, along with Derek Doherty (bass) better than Pappas ever did. Allen is just a beeter fir for this music and where Finch is headed. By many this CD will be considered a flop or Sophmore Slump, but I think that has everything to do with people expecting one thing a getting something completely different. So they listen once or twice, and give it a very low grade. But again, if you want simple punk type music, listen to New Found Glory or the Millions of other bands out ther right now. Looking for something Different and willing to give a CD some time. I promise Say Hello To Sunshine will end up as one of your Favorite CD's of all time. It's a shame people are so quick to judge. // 10

Lyrics: Nate Barcalow. One of the best Frontmen I've heard in quite some time. Sure, the Mik Patton influence is obvious, but he is widely considered on of the most innovative vocalists in rock/punk alternative, whatever genere's history, so I don't think there is a better influence to have. Lyrically this CD is much more dark and abstract than Finch's past two recordings. All it confirms is growth on the part of Barcalow and the effort he put into writing these lyrics. And the melodies? People wonder where they went. That's the thing, if you listen to this CD once and then throw it away or never pick it up again, you won't find them. But they are there, it just takes time to uncover them. However, once they are in your head they won't leave. Invest some time in this CD and you'll get tremendous rewards. And for my money, Barcalow is the best young vocalist, rock has right now. He impressed the hell out of me with the growth he had on from WIITB to Say Hello To Sunshine. He is charasmatic, incredibly talented (with both lyrics and melodys), incredibly innovative, and live - hearing him you realize these are not studio effects. In other words he sounds just as good live, as on the reocrd and that is a true example of someone incredibly talented. // 10

Overall Impression: Like I said Finch's influences are obvious. From FNM to Glassjaw to Radiohead. They might not have the respect those bands have, but the members are in their very early 20's and this is really there 2nd full length release, so they have a lot of time if they choose to stay together. That said I think Marc Allen has been instumental in adding new life, and a new direction to this band. Insomniatic Meat, Ravenous, FireFlies, The Casket Of Roderick Usher and Reduced To Teeth are just a few of my favorite songs, while if there was a throw-away track I would choose Miro, but that's just me. I think Finch shows incredible BALLS on this CD. They could have easily made WIITB 2 and possibly gained even more fans while keeping there old ones, but instead they have tried something different, and while not Absolutely Perfect, they were tremendously successful on Say Hello to Sunshine. I Already have 2 copies of this disc 1 from the net and the other I bought afterwards. If you give this CD a chance it will tatto itself on your heart and brain. But if you loved Letters to you and wish they would continue to write songs like Stay With Me or Post Scrpit (and I love all those songs, but I have grown tired of them) then move on. Don't waste your time buying this CD and then Badmouthing it, when you aren't going to give it a chance in the first place. Say Hello To Sunshine is excellent and will be one of the most underrated CD's of the year, just because Finch had the Idea of playing what they love instead of what many fans wanted to continue to hear. Like I said, there are 20,000 bands out there who are or have tried to write What It Is To Burn 2, while Finch has moved on and stand alone with their new CD, and a differnt sound and direction. If you hate it, that's your perrogative, but something tells me they don't care. // 10

Say Hello To Sunshine Reviewed by: unregistered, on july 27, 2005

Sound: The sound is alright for Finch, they have got heavier, a change as most bands don't. They seem to have gotten more technical but it's not like they have made a revoloutionary sound that will make a huge impression. // 6

Lyrics: Well, the lyrics have gotten better, confusing, but better. It's not amzing lyrics that will stay in your head forever and none of them will be classic, but it's a step up. // 6

Overall Impression: Well, I don't usually listen to metal, a bit of Lost Prophets now and again or Finch, etc, but if your expecting Another Letters For You, than think again, its quite crap, I don't like too much, don't mind it, but don't particulary like it, if you despertly want it then get it, but don't expect anything. // 4

Say Hello To Sunshine Reviewed by: TheGimpMaster01, on october 15, 2005

Sound: This band sounds like Taproot, but 10 times more into it and with a lot more times the energy. They're amazingly good, even though the first impression is that they probably have music written for them, which isn't the case. They really have good sense of music. Some of their songs are really dissonant and possibly on the ugly side, but they always resolve by the chorus, and then go back to dissonant in the verse. It's wierd, because after you listen to the chorus, you suddenly don't find the verses so ugly and dissonant. That's pretty damn unique in my book. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics are very in depth, it's almost like emo. But not really. They do punk & alternative. The screaming really isn't overdone and I love it. // 9

Overall Impression: If this got stolen, I would kick the person's ass! This CD is the very best (it's actually second only to avril lavigne, but shhh). It is so much better than their old CD called What It Is To Burn. And What It Is To Burn is a very good CD too! They've gotten better and they should continue. // 10

Say Hello To Sunshine Reviewed by: ieatlotsapaste, on may 19, 2006

Sound: This is different from their last album. A lot. In a good way. I am a huge fan of their first CD, but from the first moment I put this CD in the player, I was completely blown away. Lots of bands hit a slump on their sophomore CD, but instead of putting out a second rate CD, Finch kick some major ass. Instead of boring guitar parts that you hear on the radio and that are a part of every other band, Finch wrote some severely twisted and amazing parts to go along with the lyrics, which have matured. A lot. Instead of simple power chords everywhere, they actually looked up some music theory (something a lot of other bands should really think of doing) and applied it to their music. I don't think that this CD could get any better. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics defiantly got darker this time around, and they fit the music a lot better than the kind of lyrics on their first CD would've. The whole writing style, lyrically, has matured exponentially from where it was on the first CD. Instead of the angst-y whine that many bands employ (and I mean that in a good way. I like those bands too). The singer chooses to evolve to a new level where singing, screaming, whispering and growling all take on a life of their own, melding with the music behind it to create one cohesive musical force. // 10

Overall Impression: In my humble opinion, I would rate this CD the second best album to have been released in 2005, only beaten by Nickel Creek's "Why Should the Fire Die" (and a close second at that). Both bands, while being worlds apart, genre-wise, choose to do something new musically that put them into the category of not fitting into any musical category. With this album, Finch is a genre unto itself. Every song on the album is a gem, with very few missteps to be found. "Fireflies", "Ink" and "Hopeless Host" are probably my three favorite songs. I would buy this CD again in a second if anything happened to it, not that I'd ever let it. // 10

More Finch reviews rating latest review
+ Back To Oblivion 8.3 10/03/2014