What It Is To Burn Review

finch: What It Is To Burn
Released: Mar 12, 2002
Genre: Post-Hardcore, Emo, Screamo
Label: Drive-Thru
What It Is to Burn is the debut album by U.S. band Finch.
 Lyrics: 9.6
 9.6
 9.6
 9.5
What It Is To Burn Featured review by: UG Team, on july 25, 2003

Overall Impression: Dude, if you haven't heard Finch,then you haven't heard music. I mean, "What It Is To Burn" just kicks so much ass. It's one of those cds where you don't have to get up and change a track cause you don't like a song. You can listen to it all the way through. It's that good.

Most of the time, when you get a cd, you listen to it for a couple of weeks, then it just get thrown back on the cd rack to collect dust. Not this one. I got "What It Is To Burn" when it first came out and its still lodged into my cd player. IT'S THAT GOOD! The catchy lyrics and the awesome guitar riffs get you hooked in the first 30 seconds of listening to it. And the Saves The Day mixed with Glassjaw style of singing is different from most punk bands with the happy nasal singing. So, what the hell are you doing still reading this?

Go get Finch "What It Is To Burn" right now! // 10

What It Is To Burn Reviewed by: unregistered, on february 10, 2005

Sound: The sound on this album is incredible. From screaming to low heart warming songs, combined with punk, emo, screamo, hardcore. Finch has no boundries and will amaze anyone. The great thing about the sound is that it varies, so its no 2 or 3 songs sound alike, so you won't get bored. Overall the best sounding song on here has to be 'What It Is To Burn'. For the people that love drumming, 'Perfection Through Silence' delivers astounding intro and all the way thru. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics to most of the songs have deeper meaning then what you would just listen to and understand, there is no flaw in them.. and they fit in perfect like a puzzle. They're so good, I learned most of the songs the first time listening to them. // 10

Overall Impression: This is by far the best album ever made, and Finch is one of the most interesting and inspirational bands. I've listened to most of the songs 50 times in a row, not once thinking about changing to something else. 'What It Is To burn' is a must have for any music lover. Nate Barcalow's voice is unmatched by so many others, it would be a shame not to listen to it. Get the CD now! // 10

What It Is To Burn Reviewed by: CJOgeetar, on december 08, 2003

Sound: A very alternative album, with emo inbetween. It is one of the most collaboartive albums I know. Amazing sound, I fell in love with this. I honestly say that this (obviously subjectively) is one of the greatest albums of all time. You think, "what and idiot, this kid is a teenie bopper thats never heard led zeppelin or stevie ray vaughn or hendrix or anything." Yes, they are amazing, and have amazing talent, but finch combines talent with good sounds. You won't be ashamed to like this band, I guarentee. Five members: vocalist, 2 guitarists, bassist, drummer. Randy's use of harmonics and added licks are insane. Their rhythm guitarist has really original and amazing chord progressions, and their drummer isnt your average punk drummer; he knows exactly what to do where, and he has so much talent. // 10

Lyrics: Yes, often you might oberve the unsophisticated poppy lyrics such as that of "Letters to you" or "Stay with me" (made up for in bridge), but this is clearly compensated in songs as awake with verses like "The air is clearing, again we're breathing, water turns to wine. The day is tired; the night's inside her, now she is alive". "Ender" may be one of the most suitable songs for this topic. "You said you like to hear the rain sometimes." doesn't sound it, but very poetic. I can't stress enough how much these lyrics were meant to be with the music. Definitely amazing. Nate Barcalow is unoppossibly the best screamer i know... it has more passion than some metallist. Listen to the song "worms of the earth" and youll hear... he has a lot of natural talent, live and in the studio. // 8

Overall Impression: their first lp, which surprises me even more.only two dissappointment song for me: three simple words and without you here... not to their fullest potential... my favorite songs are (not respectively): Awake, New beginnings, Ender, Post Script, Grey Matter, Project Mayhem, Untitled. I wouldn't have to worry about this question about it being lost or stolen cus I'd never let anything happen to it. its definitely worth buying, and I think randy and nate make awesome writers. The bassist gets the job done; does mostly roots but with a lot of stuff in between. Not a lot of effects with these guys (that can't be done on their instruments live). Really kids, an awesome band. You must listen to them. // 8

What It Is To Burn Reviewed by: Death Of Season, on december 26, 2003

Sound: Masterful. One word to describe this album. The guitars, the bass, the drums, the signing, the screaming, it's all perfect. There is not one track on this CD that I don't like. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are very good. Nate can write a good emo tune ('Stay With Me'), but he can also write very deep poetic songs ('Ender'). The vocals, wether it be nice melodic singing or screaming, suit the lyrics and the music very well. // 10

Overall Impression: I love this album. I can easily say that it is my favorite CD. Somewhat comparable to the Used sound-wise, but Finch is much better musically. The most impressive song is the title track, 'What it is to Burn'. It is a masterpiece, amazing, I can listen to it over and over again. Some other notable tracks are 'Three Simple Words', 'Perfection Through Silence', and 'Untitled'. I love everything about this CD, and if were lost I would buy 2 more, just to be safe. Buy it now, you will not be dissapointed. Finch delivers. // 10

What It Is To Burn Reviewed by: Idiots_inc, on may 18, 2004

Sound: This Artist is one of my personal favorites of all time, easily one of the best out there. They mix hardcore with punk and emo to make a unique sound that is unbeatable. And most of all they're sound ranges throughout the album from emo to hardcore. Even though i personally HATE emo it still gets around to sound nothing like the whiney emo lyrics of todays emo. // 10

Lyrics: Nate Barcallow is a very awesome singer. With sounds of emo temporarily in some songs it is wrapped with screamo vocals also which makes an awesome combo. Absolutely no flaw in this category. // 10

Overall Impression: Overall this cd is definently worth the buy. If your broke just go steal it. You'll love it. Also, if you are a guitarist and have a band, check out some of the songs on this cd and pick your favorites to play in your performances. My favorites are 'Letters To You', 'New Beginnings', 'Perfection Through Silence', 'Stay With Me', 'Three Simple Words' and 'What It Is To Burn'. Go Out And Get It Now!!! // 10

What It Is To Burn Reviewed by: Rockytoilet, on august 10, 2005

Sound: Finch are screamo, through and through (except for their most recent recent album "Say Hello To Sunshine"). They may be nothing entirely original, but hell they can write a tune, most shown by "What It Is To Burn" and the popular "Letters To You" (which the band don't play live anymore as they hate the song). Their isn't a lot of variation to this album, it's just a non-stop asskicker with tracks like "Perfection Through Silence" (which the band also don't play) "Untitled" and "Three Simple Words." The lead singer is truly a great singer with a voice like no other and the two guitars just spit out cool riffs. Their sound might not be original, but if your looking for more conventional rock, look no furthur. // 8

Lyrics: Fantastic. The singer has a great voice, which I garentee you can't hear anywhere else. The Lyrics are suitably deep and there's mixes of screaming and singing throughout the album which work well. // 10

Overall Impression: A great debut album devoid of any old school rock influences (which can be a good or a bad thing depending on what side of the fence you sit on) I recommend you listen to their more recent album, but make sure you hear this one first as once you've heard "Say Hello To Sunshine" this album will sound a bit tame. An awkward adolencent of an album, but a good one. // 8

More Finch reviews rating latest review
+ Back To Oblivion 8.3 10/03/2014