Life Turns Electric Review

7.2
 7.3
review (1) 1 comment vote for this album:
Life Turns Electric Reviewed by: AC0RN, on july 21, 2011

Sound: Finger Eleven's latest album, "Life Turns Electric", came out in October 2010. Despite it being released many months ago, there has not been much talk about it. While one might think after their hit single from their previous album, "Paralyzer", Finger Eleven had big things coming their way on "Life Turns Electric", but things did not turn out that way. The biggest difference I notice between "Life Turns Electric" and their previous album "Them Vs. You Vs. Me" is a lack of funk and raw energy. It seems that has been traded for solid hard rock that sticks to what you would expect. As the band gets older, they appear to have matured similarly to what we have seen most recently with Incubus, although not as dramaticly, and 3 Doors Down. The opening track, "Any Moment Now", starts off with catchy hooks which continues throughout the entire album. By the time you get to the 5th track, Good Intentions, you may be sick of this straightforward formula. The next song, Stone Soul, is very pop-like but stands out against the post-grungy feel that the rest of the album has. It is very difficult to pick out the best tracks because many of them are so similar. It basically comes down to which lyics speak to you more. My personal favorites are "Whatever Doesn't Kill Me" and "Stone Soul". The last four songs of the album are undeniably a struggle to listen to. Although they seem to be running out of ideas, I cannot say there is a "bad" song. // 7

Lyrics: Scott Anderson knows what teenagers want as he says, "I want to feel confident somehow, I want to feel bulletproof ride now." Despite this, you feel as though he has learned his lesson as you listen through this album. He knows that in order to do something right, you have to do it yourself as he churns out "the pieces fit because I push them through." You can tell his has tested his values over the years especially in the song "Whatever Doesn't Kill Me". "Stone Soul" has very catchy lyrics and are my favorite on the album. The lyrics on "Life Turns Electric" should appeal to teenagers and adults alike without breaking any boundaries or going out of his comfort zone. // 8

Overall Impression: You cannot help but wish Finger Eleven still had that vibe they had ten years ago. The lack of a standout single to match "Paralyzer" is also disappointing. You cannot get angry at Finger Eleven for sticking to what they do best but you certainly do not want to buy this CD if you are looking for something new in a sea of middle aged mini Pearl Jams. Still, Finger Eleven have managed to churn out a decent album that die hard fans appreciate. If you love catchy, repetitive, post-grunge hard rock than Finger Eleven do not disappoint. You just need to find a reason to pick this one out of the bunch. // 7

More Finger Eleven reviews rating latest review