Days Of Defiance Review

8.5
 8.9
 8.1
Days Of Defiance Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 05, 2010

Sound: So, the follow up to Firewind's awesome 'The Premonition'. Everyone thought that with Gus G joining Ozzy Osbourne, Firewind would be put on the back-burner. Everyone must now eat their words. Firewind have just released the best album of their career so far. The moment the drums come in on 'The Ark Of Lies' you realise this isn't going to be massively different from 'The Premonition', but don't think of this as a continuation of their previous albums. This is a huge step up sound-wise. The balance of the band seems better than ever, it sounds more of a band effort than Gus G's brainchild. Bob Katsionis, especially, takes a much stronger role in the band. He takes more prominence on many more of the songs on this album, such as 'Embrace The Sun', and it just makes the song seem more complete. Also, new drummer Michael Ehre seems to fit in well to the band. After the successes of Mark Cross, I was sceptical as to whether the sound would be as good with a new drummer. To my pleasant surprise, Ehre is a welcome replacement and his drumming style fits in very well. In terms of sound then, a fantastic offering by the whole band, with great balance and musicianship running throughout. // 10

Lyrics: Ahhh, slight downturn here. You'd never expect miracles with a power metal band, and although the lyrics on 'Days of Defiance' are solid, sometimes a bit too cheesy. Loving: "I send you my life. I send you my soul. Enlighten me again." from 'Cold As Ice', but: "Oh chariot. I'm made of sun and stars. Oh chariot. Blow up my iron bars" borders on the ridiculous side of cheesy. As power metal lyrics though, the cheesiness and seriousness seem to balance out to an acceptable level. In terms of singing, Apollo is pretty much the same as on 'The Premonition' and 'Allegiance'. Fantastic. Good range, clean voice, and his voice just fits in well with the band as a whole. // 7

Overall Impression: Buy this album as soon as you can, and get the limited edition putrely for the Judas Priest cover, and a pretty snazzy guitar pick. Must listens are Losing Faith, Breaking the Law, Embrace the Sun and SKG. I can truly say there are no bad songs on the album, even the 40 second 'The Departure' links the two tracks it lies between incredibly well, as if it were just the intro of the following track. If 'Days of Defiance' was stolen I would not buy it again. I would risk imprisonment to chase after whoever stole it and show them the error of their ways. And if I couldn't do that I would resort to buying it again. Best Firewind album so far, can't wait until the next! // 9

Days Of Defiance Reviewed by: power_gamer_6, on march 17, 2011

Sound: With Days of Defiance, Firewind once again delivers their unique brand of European power metal with force. Their extremely catchy melodies, competent instrumentation and musicianship, and huge, anthemic choruses are ever present and this album is no exception. Their lineup has stayed mostly consistent for the past three records, although they did actually change drummers, replacing Allegiance and Premonition's Mark Cross with Michael Ehre who manages to keep the pace going. The album doesn't stray too far from Firewind's already established material and that's really not a bad thing. Lots of speed metal stuff peppered with a couple of really good mid-paced pieces. // 9

Lyrics: Lyrically, the album deals with personal themes, taking risks in life, and some other larger-than-life themes. The lyrics really fit well; they're not your typical high fantasy type of power metal lyrics, but then Firewind is not your typical power metal band either. Apollo is a great singer and his voice goes well with the style. He uses a lot of the top of his range in ways he hasn't previously, for example in Ark of Lies. Also, his lyrics and vocal melodies really provide the songs with their huge choruses which you can't help sing along to. // 9

Overall Impression: Firewind's Days of Defiance is a really solid effort from the Greeks, effectively putting Greece on the map for power/speed metal. Fans of Firewind will be glad to hear that despite all of Gus G.'s time with Ozzy as of late, Firewind is still going strong. There are a lot of great tracks on this album: most notably I'd say the two singles; World on Fire and Embrace the Sun, and alongside them Chariot, Ark of Lies, When All is Said and Done, and the instrumental SKG, named after the airport in their hometown of Thessaloniki, Greece (in homage to Rush's YYZ, named after the airport in Toronto, Canada). I may even go as far as to say there are no low points on this album, and that even the songs I may not have mentioned are still worthy of merit in their own respects. If this were lost or stolen, I'd most definitely go out and buy it again. Solid, solid effort. // 9

More Firewind reviews rating latest review
+ Apotheosis - Live 2012 8.2 06/24/2013