War Is The Answer Review

five finger death punch: War Is The Answer
Released: Sep 22, 2009
Genre: Groove Metal, Thrash Metal, Alternative Metal, Heavy Metal
Label: Prospect Park
Nu metal isnt a dead genre. Five Finger Death Punch are a decently successful band, despite adhering to a 1990s era of metal which was much-maligned while selling records and launching many a career.
 Lyrics: 5.7
 7.5
 6.1
 8.9
War Is The Answer Reviewed by: Kwonnie, on january 25, 2010

Sound: Five Finger Death Punch, metalcore/nu-metal-influenced groove metal act, returns with sophomoric release 'War is the Answer'. 'The Way of the Fist', the band's first full-length release (produced by Logan Mader of Machine Head), garnered a great deal of attention; particularly when their singles 'The Bleeding' and 'Never Enough' earned radio airtime. Fronted by Motograter's Ivan Moody and Hungarian-born Zoltn Bthory, the band quickly became the face of a seemingly dead genre. The more infamous element of the band's sound includes the use of their clean vocals; often coming off as juvenile due to the lyrics concerning emotions towards lost love, politics, and other frequently-used nu-metal themes. At first glance, War is the Answer (WitA) doesn't seem to stray that far from their original sound. However, upon a complete listen, some may find themselves surprised (in glory or dismay) at the somewhat drastically different approach to this release. Without further ado, let's delve into this album track by track. 01. Dying Breed: my first impression of this song was... "BADASS!". Dying Breed immediately gave off the feel from their first album right down to the heavy, palm-muted main riff that plays throughout. And what's this? We can hear the bass!?!? Madness! In fact, the bass is rather loud on this particular track. To the point where it becomes difficult not to pick it up. The mixing in general for this track is rather good, to be honest. Much unlike their first album, each audio track is quite distinguishable and audible enough to make out the notes by ear; especially in the chorus (which, on their first album, was often mashed together into a mass of melodic sound barely audible enough to understand). And with that in mind, the riffage is - yes - rather badass from the verse to the pre-chorus to the pre-solo lead. And on top of that, the vocal pattern is catchy and loud. Like the opening track to their last album, the lyrics aren't nearly as nu-metal as the rest of TWotF. To top it all off, the solo is quite amazing. A perfect fit to this perfect opening track. 10/10 02. Hard To See: the first single released from this album, Hard to See employs clean vocals throughout almost 100% of the song. The verse isn't particularly interesting but the chorus (this song lacks the pre-chorus often used in the FFDP song formula) is a winner with three guitars doing something entirely different (if not much; the left-panned guitar only hits two notes in fact). The vocals are tolerable considering the lack of harshness. The (almost) only screamed/growled part delves into the song's (badass) breakdown which, in turn, goes into the, again, rather fitting solo. This track is mostly chorus and, with that in mind, it's somewhat weaker than the opening track, but it's still one of my favorites from the band. 9/10 03. Bulletproof: again, we're greeted with a main riff treated as the verse. While not particularly groovy (it does have some bar-ending palm-muted filler similar to some of the more popular tracks from their first album), it is rather satisfying and ends with a bar of snare fill to lead into the (badass) pre-chorus. The vocals in this song are rather good and the lyrics in the chorus aren't as whiny as TWotF. In fact, the lyrics in this song are (badass)! 10/10 Yes! I welcome this change FFDP has gone through! It's not that significant, but the mixing is better, the vocals and lyrics are better, and everything is far more audible in general! FFDP didn't dissapoint with this release! UNTIL... 04. No One Gets Left Behind: all right! That's a (badass) opening lick! Some nice-sounding tapping with some low-register rhythm... well... the rhythm's a bit cheesy sounding... wait... why DOES it sound so cheesy? Wait! No! They're not! They wouldn't! (Moody, vocals matching the guitar: 'NO ONE. GETS LEFT. BEHIND!') NOOO! Blasphemers! How dare you pull a Dethklok on us and make the vocals match the guitar?! NOOO! The first word in the pre-chorus is 'POLITICIANS'?!?! Are you kidding?! Sigh. And on top of that, the chorus lyrically sounds like some track from TWotF. Meh. Fourth track and they already tossed a crap song in there. What the hell? Did he just say 'Hurrah!' and 'Hut! Hut!'? Was he watching a football game when he wrote this? Ugh. The guitar is rather static aside from the leads and are particularly uninteresting for the most part. But FFDP will redeem themselves, right? It's just one bad track. A Place to Die wasn't particularly good and that was just the fifth track. Moving on! 6/10 05. Crossing Over: uhhhh... clean guitars? ...Okay... guess this is the WitA equivalent of The Bleeding, hm? Guess we gotta have one of those... and it's not even three minutes... I can deal with this... wait a minute... does this sound like COUNTRY to anybody else? Were they listening to country music prior to this?! Woah! Already?! The chorus sounds like another track?! The first word sounds like Hard to See! Very creative, guys! Duplicating choruses! On top of that, the guitar mixing is TERRIBLE in this song. It's sounds dull and terribly distorted. I could've recorded something better-sounding here at home with my Line 6 and no mixer. And the solo is a total bore. Ignoring this track. 4/10. 06. Burn It Down: are you sh*tting me?! The (badass) post-chorus riff from the song The Way of the Fist is practically the opening riff to this song?! It sounds exactly the same! That riff was classic! How could you?! Sigh. Hm. So we get the verse riff and the chorus riff both before we actually hear any vocals? Repetition for the win, FFDP? At least the vocal pattern in the chorus is kind of cool. And yet again, we get some uninteresting soloing that repeats itself too often to even be called a solo. And I know this band frequently has long solos but this one is pushing it. The only memorable part is at 2:56. It also transitions back into the chorus nicely. But honestly.. this song is practically two riffs, a long solo, and a mass of boring. 6/10 07. Far From Home: same exact song length? You better have more than two riffs this time, guys... you're sorely dissapointing me.. truly... what?! Another clean song?! Well I guess it's better than Crossing Over. The vocals actually have a few neat parts, ignoring the lack of growls. And there's actually keyboard in this song like a couple of the bonus tracks from TWotF. Speaking of which, it's been evident since Stranger Than Fiction that FFDP's been listening to some Swedish metal such as In Flames or the like. This shows up again in this track. Naturally, this doesn't include the vocals... Anyways, we get a slow, rockish solo here going back into the chorus. Are FFDP trying to go hard rock on us? 'Cause I certainly haven't heard a lot of groove metal in here... actually, the only groove metal tracks on this album so far are Dying Breed and Bulletproof. 6/10 08. Falling In Hate: oh, man. That's some dirty riffage... Barely halfway through this album and I'm tired of listening to these dull tracks already. This is the first time I recall FFDP experimenting with atypical time signatures though. But really, they don't do a very good job of it. Vocals, guitar, and lyrics... all boring. Breakdown is the most interesting thing here. This track is barely worth listening to. 5/10 09. My Own Hell: all right, this opening sounds a lot more like FFDP. Bring it home this time, please, guys? Oh no... the verse sounds like a song by some goth metal band (likely Evanescence or Flyleaf) that I can't recall at the moment. What a terrible vocal pattern. But I'm not completely discouraged. The vocals in the chorus are pretty (badass). So is the breakdown. Pretty sick. The outro was quite the interesting decision. This track is at least worth a listen for those who want to hear the better tracks from this album. 8/10 10. Walk Away: ooh. This is more like it. Listen to that opening! Amazing!...'I'm sorry'? Sigh. Oh well. For another acoustic song this is rather good. It's the best on this album in my own humble opinion. The chorus' vocals and lyrics are rather complementory of the lead guitar. The solo doesn't match the rest of the song too well but it's still rather good regardless of the nod towards hard rock (especially during the acoustic bars completing it). Again, the song is mostly chorus but it's still one of the better tracks off of this album. 9/10 11. Canto 34: hm? An instrumental? That's new. And sadly, it might be the best track off of the album. No, that's too drastic. But it's definitely one of the best songs they've ever released. Definitely some Swedish metal influence in there. I could listen to this solo-oriented track several times over. 10/10 12. Bad Company: when I saw this on the tracklist prior to its release, I was praying my fears would remain unconfirmed. But no, we have more country-sounding crap on this album. This time, a cover of Bad Company's Bad Company. Amazingly, I like this piece of crap more than the original. With that said, I hate the track. It doesn't belong on an FFDP album as one of the main tracks. A bonus track, sure. But keep it away from me for now. 5/10 13. War Is The Answer: so this is it, hm? The conclusion to this 44,000-in-the-first-week-in-sales album? The title track War is the Answer... what can I say about this? I guess I'll start by saying that it sounds EXACTLY like Death Before Dishonor in the verse. In both guitar and vocals. The chorus sounds like it's trying to lean towards The Way of the Fist again. After this crap riffage we get a bridge LADEN with juvenile, angry lyrics. It just sounds plain immature and doesn't serve the same pumped-up, energetic, ass-kicking feel the angrier tracks from their last album did. The solo sounds like plain noise for the most part and ends similarly to Hard to See. So yeah. We have an unintersting closing to a generall uninteresting album. 4/10 Overall, this album gets a rather dissapointing 7/10 when averaging the track ratings out. But to be honest I feel this deserves something of a 5-6/10. // 6

Lyrics: What sets FFDP apart from most popular groove metal acts today is what kills them as a band, it seems. The formulaed approach does not work with groove metal as groove metal sounds get dull the fastest. At least for this release, FFDP didn't strive towards innovation or even improvement. This was hardly experimental either. It just wasn't them. Had this been a hard rock act with metal influence, this would've made 10x more sense. And this would've been an acceptable approach to classification had FFDP not self-classified themselves. What gets me is that FFDP often seems to bash metalcore bands for their use of whiny vocals when in fact FFDP sounds much whinier due to their lyrical content and frequent use of singing as opposed to growling. In fact, they have four songs on this album that are almost completely sung. Other groove metal bands such as Lamb of God, DevilDriver, or Chimaira are more riff-oriented than formula-based. If FFDP could follow less obvious patterns such as these bands, their sound might begin to evolve in a more respectable way (unless they just want to turn straight rock; in which case they've lost me as a listener). Would I call this album the mark of a sellout? Probably not? Does it sound like FFDP? Definitely not. I wouldn't want a TWotF 2, but something less standard and more refinement-focused to return my lost respect for this band. They seemed to be on the right track with their first three songs, but completely blew it out of the water by the next one. // 6

Overall Impression: Overall, the best songs on this album are Dying Breed, Hard to See, Bulletproof, Walk Away, and Canto 34. My Own Hell is listenable and No One Gets Left Behind is only getting there. Honestly, if the track list looked something like this: Dying Breed Hard to See Bulletproof Walk Away My Own Hell Canto 34 Succubus New Track New Track Stranger Than Fiction I would definitely be a million times happier. That is to say if the new tracks don't suck as bad as the rest as this album. This was a general dissapointment and, sadly, only half as good as their poorly mixed first album. However, it did provide some killers (e.g. Dying Breed, Bulletproof, Canto 34) that I like more than anything I've heard by this band, but it's not worth buying. Grab the better tracks off of your friend's iTunes, if that. // 6

War Is The Answer Reviewed by: HoneyofRuin, on january 08, 2010

Sound: When I think of Five Finger Death Punch, several terms come to mind: distinguished, innovative, unique, and impressive to name a few right off the top of my head. So, essentially, I was rather excited when I got word that they were to release their second offering, "War Is the Answer". After having listened to "Way of the Fist" a hundred times over (and I still am to this very day) I expected a beast of a record. I heard "Hard to See" on their MySpace prior to the actual release of the record and my impression was that it was a decent song - very FFDP. So, having purchased the album itself in its entirety I have very mixed feelings. Sound-wise I find a few issues. Personally, I am not a very big fan of the guitar tones. I find them very muddy and lacking a certain punch. In turn, they tend to drown out the drums which I find to be very annoying because there are some solid beats on this record in certain places. I found this to be a problem on "Way of the Fist" as well and I had hoped the issue would be addressed prior to this recording's release. Carrying on, I must praise Moody's vocal performances. They range from vehement and very bitter to emotionally charged and passional and it tends to suit FFDP's sound overall even if they tend to bog down the musical integrity at times. FFDP tend to follow the screamed verse, sung chorus formula. Which can be good. However, to me it seems that because they follow this particular formula, a lot of the songs tend to grow very weak and brittle when the chorus comes making it almost difficult to diffrentiate between two songs, making them sound very similar in terms of what the guitar is doing at the time. There some very strong tracks on this record such as the opener "Dying Breed", their cover of Bad Company's "Bad Company" (which completely destroys the original version), "No One Gets Left Behind" the ballad "Far From Home" and "Hard to See". There are some very weak tracks, however, such as "Falling In Hate", the incredibly pretentious "Walk Away", and the title track "War Is the Answer". // 6

Lyrics: I'll admit it. FFDP's lyrics have never been their strongest point. At times it feels as if a rebellious 12 year-old sat down and started scribbling his frustrations down on a napkin. The lyrics tend to lack a considerable amount of substance and they aren't very engaging. Much of the album is a major bitch fest where Moody has decided to vent his anger regarding personal issues, war, politics - a seemingly very standard array of topics. I will give him props, though for "Far From Home" and "Crossing Over". They slightly make up for the lack of substance the rest of the songs contribute. Lines such as "I'll slap you so f--king hard it'll feel like you kissed a fright train" do not tend get me pumped, instead they make me laugh and wonder how anyone can take this guy seriously if he is truly this angry. // 4

Overall Impression: "War is the Answer" is a very hit or miss album. Musically, they haven't grown. I was hoping for some growth or at least something similar to "Way of the Fist" but having its own unique edge and qualities, showcasing a liking for change and expansion. But, I didn't get that. What I got was a decent -and nothing more, nothing less- ATTEMPT. Some songs shine, some songs just fail. More than a few songs tend to sound very similar when the chorus arrives and that makes the album fail to deliver in many areas. Some riffs are rehashed and recycled from other artists, and at times sound like they were recycled from their previous album. They could have have limited the record to containing one slow song, that being "Far From Home". The other don't stand up and honestly feel like fillers along with some of the heavier tracks that simply fail to impress. Perhaps they're trying to showcase their softer side? It's not working. Overall, the album is just okay. It's a disappointing ride many times througout. It gets you pumped up at one point, then it lets you down. I think I'll be listening to "Way of the Fist" more than "War Is the Answer". And no, I wouldn't buy it again if it were stolen. // 5

War Is The Answer Reviewed by: UG Team, on september 23, 2009

Sound: Testosterone could be an instrument on Five Finger Death Punch's sophomore effort, War Is The Answer. If you like crunchy metal with as much bark as there is bite and that has a little more balls than your average rock radio act, then War is the Answer will foot the bill and then some. FFDP traffic in short blasts of energy on this album. Most of the songs hover at the three minute mark and under; few last beyond three-and-a-half minutes, so these are efficient, get in and get out songs that follow the formula of a catchy, radio-accessible song, but FFDP aren't that simple. We're surprised, too. The drums on Dying Breed and Hard to See are like rounds of fisticuffs: fast, violent, and pummeling. The riffs are chunky and full of moshability on Bullet Proof, as well. While this sound was dominating those bought-and-sold second stage slots at Ozzfest, Five Finger Death Punch don't sound like some industry-manufactured model coming down the assembly line. There's attitude here. No, they're not single-handedly reviving and resurrecting nu metal, but they are keeping it alive better than, say, forefathers like Korn. And while some of you readers may scoff at the notion of nu metal making a comeback, the genre did sell a f--k ton of records when it was in vogue, so there clearly are fans of this style. It speaks to someone, namely truckers and strippers in the meat and potatoes heartland. And if you're a math teacher in New York City and the choppy snarl of the socially-charged No One Gets Left Behind or the sensitivity of the ballad Far From Home gets you by the jugular, we'll that's completely fine. // 7

Lyrics: Clean singing. Impassioned screaming. Like any good band looking to make an impact beyond the metal underground, Five Finger Death Punch plant their feet in two vocal worlds on War is the Answer. Vocalist Ivan Moody was once in makeup-slathered, major label neo-metal act Motograter raise your hand if you remember them!- and the mother fucker can sing. The ballad Far From Home allows him to spotlight his clean, melodic vox, against some riffage that would make any 80s axe proud. He's got an above-average bark that pairs nicely with his clean singing and the band's mixed bag of tempos and riffing. Walk Away is a moody, Alice in Chains-inspired diamond in the rough, and it's another platform for Moody to showcase his voice. There's also a solo that could have been picked up somewhere in the 1980s, as well! // 7

Overall Impression: There were a few sweet, Swedish melodies in the mix here. You'd think that Five Finger Death Punch were listening to In Flames or Soilwork here and there and that influence crept into a few moments of War is the Answer, and that's to the aforementioned bands' credit. Five Finger Death Punch should be easy to dislike, but they're actually making a name for themselves amongst the Mudvaynes and Chevelles of the world, with that extra natch!- punch and ability to go as melodic as they wanna go! // 8

- Amy Sciarretto (c) 2009

More Five Finger Death Punch reviews rating latest review
+ The Wrong Side of Heaven and the Righteous Side of Hell, Volume 2 6 11/21/2013
+ The Wrong Side of Heaven and the Righteous Side of Hell, Volume 1 6.4 07/31/2013
+ American Capitalist 7.5 06/05/2012