Slaves Of Virgo Review

Five Star Prison Cell: Slaves Of Virgo
Release Date: Aug 7, 2007
Label: Faultline
Genres: Rock
11 tracks of mind melting metal that ranks with the very best in the world.
 4.4
 8.7
review (1) 5 comments vote for this album:
Slaves Of Virgo Reviewed by: Masochist_Lust, on august 27, 2007

Sound: My first impression of Five Star Prison Cell was very strong when I picked up this album, and with more listens, was easily reinforced. The production of this album is very good, and so is the actual music; The time changes, notes and chords are very well written. Five Star Prison Cell use numerous time signatures in each song, as well as downtuned guitars and a fusion of genres such as death metal, mathcore and occasionally jazz. A nice mix of clean vocals and guitar as well as brutal growls, chuggy and fast riffs, pounding bass and insane drumming make it awesome to listen to. // 9

Lyrics: I find the lyrics on this album a lot harder to understand than the lyrics on the previous album, and in some cases, it seems like there aren't any lyrics actually written. That said, the ability of the vocalist is incredible, he has a great clean voice as well as a great growl and scream. The vocals match very well with the musical skills and the effects used on his voice compliment that ability of his vocals and the other musicians. // 7

Overall Impression: While there is definately some obvious influences in this bands music (namely The Dillinger Escape Plan), the end result is very different. Five Star Prison Cell have brutality and technicality that I think is very hard to match, especially in Australia's music scene which is dominated with hardcore and rock. Hopefully this band will open up technical metal for other Australian bands to show the public what potential is hidden away. The most impressive songs would definately include the introduction track 'Do The World A Favour', some of the songs with mixes of clean vocals/guitar and a sense of weirdness not seen very often demonstrated in 'Decree NISI' and 'Deloris', and some brutal tracks such as 'M' and 'Obtuse: The Essence of Indifference'. I love the uniqueness of this album and this band. Their mix of genres and styles was surprising to me as I didn't think it would work, and the effort they put into their music is also noteworthy. The production is very clean, which I love, but I don't like the fact that I can't understand the lyrics. But that is only a very minor thing, as the rest of the band, especially the drums, makes up for it. If I lost this CD, I would not hesitate in buying it again. It is just one of those albums I cannot live without. A must have for any Australian metal supporter and all technical metal/mathcore fans. // 10

Comments