The Soft Bulletin Review

artist: flaming lips date: 01/24/2005 category: compact discs
flaming lips: The Soft Bulletin
Released: Jun 22, 1999
Genre: Rock
Styles: Alternative Pop/Rock, Dream Pop, Experimental, Neo-Psychedelia, Noise Pop
 8.5
 7.8
 9.1
The Soft Bulletin Reviewed by: *Truly Ninja*, on april 14, 2004

Overall Impression: I guess I just don't get this record. Time after time it has been praised for being a lighthearted and cynicism-free "masterpiece" when it is really underdeveloped, somewhat immature, and even annoying. The sounds on the record show great intellectual depth and understanding of theory, but they are far from exciting. To their credit, the Flaming Lips' drums have always been really awesome. What really detracts from this record is the awful singing of the terrible lyrics. Is it possible that these guys didn't realize that a lyric like "the fly through the air/as you comb your hair" isn't going to work? And Wayne Coyne's fake tenor/falsetto voice doesn't help matters at all. This album is something of an enigma to me. It's endless praise by indie rock critics had me very excited about finally buying it, but as it turns out, it is just terrible. Like I said, the awfulness hinges mainy on the stupidity of the lyrics. This album is simply not worth buying due to sheer stupidity. And what's wrong with a little cynicism in indie rock? // 4

The Soft Bulletin Reviewed by: unregistered, on december 03, 2004

Sound: I got this after I got Yoshimi Battles The Pink Robots. This is the stepping stone they took to get to that album. Its sound is more experimental than other stuff I own. The spark that bled is the perfect example as it moves through different moods all with various wiered noises produces by synthesizers and distorted guitars. Race For The Prize is a masterclass in drumming as well as as being memorable. Instrumental The Observer cannot be described for its sheer beauty. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are the least important thing about a Flaming Lips record but even when theyre this disjointed they prove to have a lot of meaning. Race For The Prize represent desperation and as it explains in the inlay what is the light looks at an unproven theory on the creation of the universe. the lyrics are dark as well. I believe I heard that before this album each band member was struck by personal tragedy which is shown. Wayne Coyne may not be the best singer in the world but unlike earlier lips records he tries to sing in tune. It shows that he has a good voice when he tries. // 8

Overall Impression: It may not be the Flaming Lips masterpiece (I think that goes to Yoshimi Battles The Pink Robots) but this is definately just as essential if you want to get into the Flaming Lips. Race For The Prize, The Observer and Slow Motion are possibly the strongest tracks on the album, being moving or just or something where you cant stand still. The sound is gorgeous in places as are the lyrics. The only problem I have is with putting a remix version of Race For The Prize and Waitin' For Superman near the end as they dont really add anything to the beuty of the album. I'd definately buy the cd again if it was lost or stolen as it is just to essential to not have. The Flaming Lips are living proof that a band can only get better with age as it is stronger than their early 90s material. I haven't heard their 80's material though so I may be wrong. Please buy this album now! // 10

The Soft Bulletin Reviewed by: unregistered, on january 24, 2005

Sound: Wow. Not much else to say about this record. This is like "Dark Side Of The Moon" without all the psycho-mindtrip-bulls--t that accompanies it. This disk has a tunefullness and experimental, Pet sounds vibe that accompanies a lot of Dave Friedman's best work. Orchestra fills and polished guitars swelling at the right moments. Coyne and Drozd are the real indie heroes. Some of the drumming is purely sick. "Waiting For Superman," "Feeling Yourself Disentigrate," and "What Is The Light" are brilliant tracks that evidence the compiled (Coyne-Drozd-Friedmann) genius. // 10

Lyrics: You can't hate Wayne Coyne's lyrics. If you do, you're kind of a fascist. What's wrong with songs about triumph over adversity? The only real complaint you can make is that they're totally generic in their lay-out and don't dare to venture into any real human conflicts. Which might be why the follow-up disc concentrated on humans vs. robots (everyone can hate robots). But still, Coyne's lyrics work perfect with the music and they're uplifting nonetheless and as someone with a continuously diminishing lifespan, I'd rather here a fight song and a life-gratifying track far above any Cobain lyric (nothing against depressed peeps). // 10

Overall Impression: I've kept this CD in my 5 play CD player for the last 3 years. This review is not written by a playa-hata. Sorry. Can't be objective. I'm not going to write an unpaid, unsolicitted review for www.ultimate-guitar.com unless I want to praise a disk that I truly love and want other future readers, tabbers and listeners to get behind. This disk is one of the best. Growing up in the '90s, I was lucky to see shows from some great acts and bands. This is one of many. Every reader should be so lucky. Keep rocking and tabbing. // 10

More Flaming Lips reviews rating latest review