Rumours Review

fleetwood mac: Rumours
Release Date: Feb 4, 1977
Label: Reprise
Genres: Album Rock, Soft Rock, Pop/Rock
The new lineup that Fleetwood Mac successfully unveiled with their eponymous 1975 album became even more successful with the multi-platinum Rumours, which became the band's most celebrated album and one of the best-selling albums of all time.
 Lyrics: 9.3
 9.4
 9.7
Rumours Reviewed by: unregistered, on july 11, 2007

Sound: I hadn't really listened to a lot of Fleetwood Mac other than the song "Landslide," before I bought this CD, but after listening to it, I have to say they have some of the best sound around. Every song on the album has music just flowing in all direction. It's very neat and I think that Rumours is on par with other great classic rock albums of that time like, Pink Floyd's "The Wall," The Beatles' "Let It Be," and others. I think this is because of the ongoing conflicts that occurred in the band at the time, especially the fallout of Lindsey Buckingham and Stevie Nicks, which caused some awesome music. If it wasn't for Waters and Gilmour's feud, we wouldn't have "The Wall" or the Beatles' slow decline we wouldn't have "Let It Be." Lindsey's acoustic and electric guitars are really the highlights of the album, and I think he can really change styles with his guitar playing, switching from country to rock to a strange ethereal Zeppelin sound. Lindsey also has a very unique voice, which he provides on some of the songs. John McVie provides some very groovy basslines that are really noticeable on all the tracks. Mick Fleetwood has some great drum beats, but I'm not really very knowledgable of the drums, but they sound good to me. Christine McVie plays the keyboards and does a great job at it. She includes her voice on some of the songs and is another great addition. And last, but certainly not least is the wonderful Stevie Nicks. This CD made me a fan of Stevie Nicks. Her wonderful voice really defines the CD and makes every song a masterpiece. // 10

Lyrics: Every song has lyrics contributed by different members of the band and every bandmate has their own distinct style of songwriting. 01. Second Hand News - the first track off the album is written by Lindsey Buckingham. It has a very catchy tune to it and country feel. 02. Dreams - Dreams was a hit single on rock radio stations everywhere. This classic was written by Stevie Nicks and has some of the greatest lyrics of the whole album. 03. Never Going Back Again - this short ballad was also written by Buckingham. It has a nice guitar riff and some definite lyrics. 04. Don't Stop - this is a hard rocking song sung by Buckingham but written by Christine McVie. I think Christine McVie can write some good songs. This song doesn't necessarily sound like Fleetwood Mac but is a great addition. 05. Go Your Own Way - another hit written by Lindsey Buckingham. This has some quiet verses that lead to a rocking chorus. Unlike Don't Stop this song is Fleetwood Mac. Following this, the songs start to mellow. 06. Songbird - a very beautiful ballad written and sung by Christine McVie. It features very stunning lyrics. 07. The Chain - this is one of my personal favorites. This song is actually written by the whole band and sung by most of the band. It has a very cool sound to it. 08. You Make Loving Fun - this is written and sung by Christine McVie. It's another good song, not much else to say. 09. I Don't Want To Know - this is written by Stevie Nicks and features vocals from her and McVie. This has excellent although repetitive lyrics. It sounds a little bit country though. 10. Oh Daddy - this is written and sung by Christine McVie again. I think is the weakest and oddest song on the album but very good when compared to some of their later work. 11. Gold Dust Woman - this is my favorite song by Fleetwood Mac. It's written by Nicks and I don't how to explain it, but it just has a very surreal feel to it and runs to almost 5 minutes. It features haunting and beautiful singing from Nicks and towards the end a great guitar solo by Buckingham. If you're not interested in the CD, at least download or buy this and Dreams. // 9

Overall Impression: This is without a doubt, the best Fleetwood Mac album, but that goes without saying. The best tracks are Second Hand News, Dreams, Never Going Back Again, Don't Stop, Go Your Own Way, The Chain, and Gold Dust Woman. I don't why I like it so much it's just a very good CD and I noticed there were no Fleetwood Mac reviews on the website so I did one myself. If it was stolen or lost, I would defenitely buy another one. // 10

Rumours Reviewed by: LedZepHed88, on march 18, 2011

Sound: This album would be a good place to start for anyone interested in getting into Fleetwood Mac. Released in 1977 this album is Fleetwood Mac's 11th studio album. Listening to this album from start to finish there is a very good and pleasing sound to it. I would like to break down the tracks individually to give a better idea on how they each differ and add to the texture of the album, so with out further ado here goes: 01. Second Hand News - This song is a very good and upbeat album opener, sung with lead vocals by Lindsey Buckingham. It has a very nice and pleasing sound to it, deffinately one you will find yourself humming after a while. 02. Dreams - Arguably the best song on the album, the sound of this song is very appealing and sets a very nice mood. Stevie Nicks voice creates a very beautiful sound to this track and Lindsey's acoustic work also adds a very mellow and relaxing feel to it. 03. Never Going Back Again - A very beautiful sounding piece of acoustic work by Lindsey Buckingham. This track is just Lindsey singing and accompanying himself on guitar, and both his playing and singing complement each other well on this track producing a very sweet and pleasing sound. 04. Don't Stop - This once again is another great album track, this song is where the album starts to drift out of the mellow sound and more into the area of rock. Sung by both Lindsey Buckingham and Christie McVie (who also wrote the song), their voices together create a great feel and sound to this track with Lindsey's very powerful (and raspy at times)voice and Christie's very rich and strong voice. 05. Go Your Own Way - Perhaps the most well known track on the album and the band's most famous track in their long standing career. This song from start to finish creates a mood through it's sound and highlights the tensions between the writer Lindsey Buckingham and his former girlfriend and bandmate Stevie Nicks. This track has a very rock feel to it and has a great sound from start to finish and also has some very nice guitar work in it with the leads that Lindsey does. 06. Songbird - Written by Christie McVie and sang by her also, she plays the piano as well on this track and is accompanied by Lindsey on acoustic guitar. This is a very emotional love song off the album, deffinately one of the slower tunes. A very beautiful sounding song. 07. The Chain - My personal favorite track off this album this track starts off with a very slow and menacing sounding guitar riff played on the banjo and then gets kicked into high gear about 3/4 of the way through the song by John McVie's driving and thumping bass and Mick Fleetwood's driving and thunderous drumming. The only track on the album and I think out of the Rumours era line up that is credited to every member of the band. Sung for the most part by Lindsey with Stevie and Christie producing the backing vocals. This song has an amazing sound and feel to it from start to finish. 08. You Make Loving Fun - This track was also written by Christie McVie and is also a standout track on the from this great album. Sung by Christie McVie and what sounds like a blend of background harmonies from Christie and Stevie. This track has a very moving sound to it from the bass part which is the centerpiece of the verse sections of this song. This is a very strong song off the album with a great sound that is sure to please anyone and make you wanna get up and groove. 09. I Don't Want To Know - Another good track off this album written by Stevie Nicks and sung by her and Lindsey Buckingham. Has a very upbeat sound to it and some very nice sounding acoustic work. John McVie and Mick Fleetwood produce a nice a solid sounding base for this song. 10. Oh Daddy - Another track off the album written by Christie McVie this song has a very somber sound to and has once again some very nice acoustic work to it. Christie's voice is very powerful on this track and creates a very emotional feel. This song has a very good sound to as all the instruments blend well together behind Christie's voice. 11. Gold Dust Woman - The final track on the album and also the longest clocked in at just under five minutes. This song was written and sung by Stevie Nicks and has background vocals on it that sound like either a solid blend of Lindsey and Christie or just Lindsey. The sound of the song itself has a very bluesy country tinged feel to it. This song has again a very solid and strong back beat from John McVie and Mick Fleetwood. This album is very good from start to finish and there is not much if anything at all bad that I can say about this particular except that it ends to soon. // 10

Lyrics: 01. Second Hand News - This song lyrical is pretty good, the basic premise of the song is Lindsey singing about becoming "second hand news" by being replaced by someone else by a love interest. 02. Dreams - In this particular song Stevie sings about a former lover who "wanted their freedom" and she is forewarning them to think about the consequences of their decision with the lines "women they will come and they will go" and "it's only me who wants to wrap around your dreams". The lyrics in this song a very strong and straight forward. 03. Never Going Back Again - Lyric wise there isn't much to this song just two small verses and a chorus section. But for the lyrics that are there they are good and fit the song well. Lindsey's singing style and ability are highlighted very well with this song, it's a shame there are not more lyrics though. 04. Don't Stop - This song like most on this album are very straight forward and to the point lyrically. This lyrics in this song put out the message of look to the future and the good to come and don't wallow in what was and the past. The singing on this song is very good, it contains a solid blend of Christie McVie and Lindsey Buckingham and their voices blend very well together on this particular track. 05. Go Your Own Way - This song is very strong lyrically and very to the point. This song which was written by Lindsey Buckingham was directed towards his former girlfriend and bandmate Stevie Nicks and deals with their break-up and his feelings about it. Very good singing on this track with Lindsey holding down the lead duties and Christie and Stevie providing the background vocals. 06. Songbird - This particular track which was written by Christie and she sings it solo. Once again the lyrics of this song are very straight forward as she is singing about her love and how much she cares for that particular individual. Her singing on this song is very soulful and meaningful, you can really feel the lyrics as she sings them. 07. The Chain - The lyrics to this song have a very strong feel to them and fit the mood that the song produces beautifully. Lyrically though the song is very straight forward once again and deals with a friend or perhaps a lover breaking a past promise. Lindsey and Stevie's voices blend very beautifully together in this song, and from start to finish this song lyrically and vocally is amazing. 08. You Make Loving Fun - Once again like I have said before the lyrics of this song are very straight forward like all of the other songs on this album. The song which is sung by and also wrote by Christie McVie deals with being in a relationship and enjoying the fun and excitement of it. Chritie's vocals on this track are very good and the song altogether lyrically and musically as a whole is very good. 09. I Don't Want To Know - This songs lyrics put forth the story of being in a relationship and dealing with a lover who's not sure what they want and trying to live with and deal with it. This song was written by and sung by Stevie with Lindsey singing with her as well. This is a very good and upbeat song from start to finish. 10. Oh Daddy - This was a song written by and sung by Christie McVie. The lyrics of this song are Christie singing about her "man" and how she feels about him, once again they are very straight forward and to the point. Christie's vocals are strong and powerful on this track. 11. Gold Dust Woman - There are two stories about this song and it's lyrics. The first story is that the song deals with cocaine which supposedly Stevie at one point in the seventies called "Gold Dust", and the second story is that the song was written about the Triple Goddess Morrigan which deals with Neopaganism and the Celtic and Irish mythologies which Stevie had an interest in. Stevie being the singer and writer of this song creates a very misty atmosphere with her vocals which are great on this song. // 10

Overall Impression: Out of all of the other albums I have listened to by this artist this album is deffinately the stand out. From start to finish this album is good. The standout songs from the album are deffinately Dreams, Never Going Back Again, Go Your Own Way, Don't Stop, The Chain, and You Make Loving Fun. The thing that draws me most to the album is the sound. From start to finish the album sounds great both musically and vocally, and it creates a good atmosphere. The only problem I have with the album is that a few of the songs take a little getting used to, but once you do get use to them and how the album flows it is a definate masterpiece. Also all the songs on this album especially the ones that weren't released as singles could have very easily been released as singles and been hits for lesser bands. This is deffinately an album that I would buy again if it were lost and stolen, it would go right to the top of list of cds to buy. Thanks for reading and I hope that this has helped you in your decision to either purchase or listen to this album. // 9

Rumours Reviewed by: JuniorMints, on september 20, 2011

Sound: I was honestly skeptical at first when I picked this up. I had heard so much about it, I wasn't so sure I would get that into it like some other people I've met. But right when I heard "Second Hand News" transition into "Dreams," I was hooked. Fleetwood Mac's sound is almost pristine on almost every song. The vocals are near perfection, and the songs meld into one great medley of bittersweet Beauty. I now realize why this album dominates the musical spectrum of the 1970's, and why everyone seems to enjoy it. During some songs, "Don't Stop" in particular, I thought, 'Hey! I know this song..' // 10

Lyrics: Albums have to flow. That's a total given. "Rumours" has such wonderful storylines in each of the songs, it's hard not to flow. The album's theme is, essentially, relationships. The raw and bitter lyrics mesh so incredibly with the melodies, and that's all that matters sometimes. It seems to me that each song is delicate, that if something was changed, the whole mood of the piece would be altered. If "Dreams" was changed to an up-tempo "Don't Stop" like song, it almost wouldn't make sense. Thank God that's not how it went down. // 9

Overall Impression: Despite my skepticism, "Rumours" is a fantastic album. I honestly am so glad I took the time to listen to whole thing. I wasn't expecting a masterpiece like this. If I had to pick my favorites from the album I would just say, 'listen to the whole thing. You'll love it.' That's what's so good about it. Each song is unique, and they all keep you enthralled. The upbeat, and the sorrowful. The bitter and the weary. The optimistic and the pessimistic. It's all there. In one beautiful package. // 10

More Fleetwood Mac reviews rating latest review