Agony Review

8.6
 8.3
 8.8
Agony Reviewed by: 7StringsOfCool, on august 10, 2011

Sound: This album entitled, "Agony", is one of the best albums I have ever had the privelage to listen to. Fleshgod Apocalypse definitely out did themselves with this one. By adding a more symphonic tone to their already crushing technical death metal riffs and crushing blast beats, F.G. brings you a journey through epic classical music and some of the best death metal I have ever heard. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are absolutely great. This bands previous EP, "Mafia", had lyrical themes about the politics in Italy (The bands origin), and they seemed to have brought some of that influence to "Agony". Considering the lead singer is also the lead guitarist, the singers skills are amazing. The clean vocalist (The bassist) brings a great sound into this album and makes it 10x better. // 9

Overall Impression: Right now, this album is one of my "Top 3" albums of the year, and it is Fleshgod Apocalypse's best record thus far. My favorite songs on this 10 track record are "The Imposition", "The Violation", "The Egoism", and "The Oppression". I love this band, and I love that they've brought more symphonic elements to their music. It's good to see a tech. Death metal band out of Italy too which is another plus. If I were to lose this album, I would go out and buy another one because this is a must have album. // 10

Agony Reviewed by: dante., on august 15, 2011

Sound: Okay. Let's start by the very first song, "Temptation". Primarily, it sounded a lot (to my ears) like games/movies soundtrack; Some "random" sounds (if I can put in that way), orchestrated instrumental, deep vocals and basically it. Then, the second song, mixes Death Metal with technical riffs, extremely fast drums with double bass, gutturals, and... More orchestrated thing. Dude, seriously, it's so dirty you can't even identify what you're listening to, it's just a thousand of mixed instruments at 250 BPM. It's very emotionless too; Personally I did not feel anything listening to this, and honestly, I'm very disappointed with this album, I was looking forward good death metal music. Nevertheless, it would be awesome if they could just mix Technical Death Metal riffs with piano, and just a little bit of orchestra itself. Although it doesn't please me at all, I shall give some credits for the extremely expert and fast riffs. And also the classical instrumental and the (rare) clean vocals, which are extremely awesome. This album had everything to be a great album, but somehow they ruined it. // 6

Lyrics: Italy (the country they're from) politic, and that's all. No personal experiences, no love, pain, sadness, joy, anything. The lyrics are in English though, and it's sang using guttural (if you don't know it, it's a vocal technique similar to a scream, but really low). That kinda fits the music (obviously, soon as it is death metal) and there's also clean vocals, which are just terrific. // 7

Overall Impression: "Oracles" (their first album) and even the EP "Mafia", are way better than this one. Why? Because the orchestrated stuff completely ruined the brutality of epic riffs and drums, and even the nice vocals. Definitely they're good as musicians, but they couldn't handle the musical production on this one with the classical instrumental. It sounds really dirty, you can't distinguish the instruments, what makes the music really uncomfortable to listen to. Once again, this material definitely had potential but they did not use it, what is a shame. If you want a good Fleshgod Apocalypse's album, stay with "Oracles", and if you like this one, give a try to this one. // 5

Agony Reviewed by: ThrashKing, on august 29, 2011

Sound: Fleshgod Apocalypse's first album "Mafia" combined a classical orcheastra music with super fast riffing and drumming. Since that release, the band has put more effort into combining the classical symphonic sound with the brutal death metal tones, and I'd say that "Agony" is a perfect symbiosis of the two genres. From the first track, "Temptation", which is epic symphony music that you would expect to hear in a war movie before a big battle, that builds up into the next track "The Hypocrisy". All of the songs (besides the last bonus track, "heartwork") flow together into one big amazing piece of SymphDeath (that's what we like to call it). What really impressed me with the whole album was how the band is able to get really good melodies with the orchaestra sounds and still have blazingly fast riffs and drumming that is out of this world. I never thought that it would be possible to combine two genres as different as classical orchaestra/symphony and death metal, but I can proudly say that Fleshgod Apocalypse has achieved that goal. // 10

Lyrics: So I've read from other reviews that the lyrics are all about politics, but I don't know how people found that out since there are NO lyrics in the booklet that comes with the CD. All they give are the song names, and then a definition of the word. Its really weird but at least its different. Fleshgod Apocalypse has two singers, one for the growls and heavy stuff and the bassist who does the clean vocals. "The Violation", which is by far the best song on the album IMO, is mostly the heavy vocals during the really fast heavy parts, and then the clean vocals come in and its like going to a whole different world. They transition from the heavy to the clean and it just sounds amazing and it really just knocks you off your feet when you hear how high the clean vocalist can get. // 8

Overall Impression: I have never heard another band who has combined two distinctly different genres of music together like Fleshgod Apocalypse has. They are the only band that comes to mind that has done anything with both orchaestra/symphony and death metal like this. It really has to be heard to understand it and see just how good of a job they have done with it. My favorite song on the album by far is "The Violation". It starts off with the orchaestra playing a really soft yet heavy build up to the song and then BOOM! It just starts heavy as F***! It gives me chills everytime. All of there songs are very good and have a good mix of the orchestra and the death metal, but "The Violation" is the most stand out one on the whole album to me. I honestly like everything about this album. Its long, its original, its heavy, its everything a metal head looks for in music. If it where lost or stolen I would definitely go out and buy another copy. // 10

More Fleshgod Apocalypse reviews rating latest review