Album - Generic Flipper Review

flipper: Album - Generic Flipper
Released: 1982
Genre: Hardcore Punk, Noise Rock
Label: Subterranean Records
Album - Generic Flipper is the debut album by the San Francisco band Flipper. Many fans say it is the band's finest release, and it is definitely their most acclaimed release.
 9.1
 9.7
 8.4
review (1) user comments vote for this album:
Album - Generic Flipper Reviewed by: AtlantaHardcore, on october 01, 2008

Sound: This album sounds great. This is especially true when you take into account that it comes from the punk rock underground. The band makes liberal use of reverb (particularly on the drums), dissonance, and bass distortion. These elements form a unique soundscape that helps to convey feelings of isolation and loneliness. The music itself is deliberately disordered, furthering the listener's sense of uneasiness. On this album (and in the band), the bass and drums take center stage; faithfully pushing forward while the guitarist spews discordant white noise in background. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are simple and sublime at the same time and are usually shouted instead of sung. Although most of the songs have lyrics dealing chiefly with depression and existential crisis, "Life" offers a modicum of hope (as well as negativity) by reminding us the "life is the only thing worth living for". The last track on the album, the 8 minute noise anthem known as "Sex Bomb", contains the words "she's a sex bomb, my baby, yeah!" repeated over and over again. A great album for anyone going through a rough time in their lives. // 9

Overall Impression: A true harcore punk/grunge/noise classic. Generic is essential for any serious fan of the aforementioned genres or anyone whose looking for something different. The strongest songs on Generic, in my opinion, are "Life is Cheap", "(I Saw You) Shine", and "Sex Bomb". If this album were stolen or lost, I would definitely buy it again. // 10

More Flipper reviews rating latest review
+ Love 4.5 08/06/2009