Sex Bomb Baby Review

9.4
 9.8
review (1) 3 comments vote for this album:
Sex Bomb Baby Reviewed by: Gnomefry, on may 20, 2009

Sound: Sex Bomb Baby is an awesome compilation from one of the best experimental noise-rock bands of all time, Flipper. I got the re-released version of this album, along with Generic Flipper which is also by Flipper. This album was great, considering how it was from the underground. The cover art is still the same, but Sex Bomb Baby has been definitely been remastered. Much louder, a bit fuller sounding, and it sounds like there is extra reverb(especially on the drums). It also has a new forward from Henry Rollins. This is one of those albums where you have to understand it to fully enjoy it. Some people might not like it from just listening to it for one time only. People that like grunge and punk will greatly enjoy this album, and anyone feeling lonely, angsty, or isolated will too. Long story short, as Darby Crash ad-libbed at the end of the Germs' Forming, "He's playing it all wrong. The drums are too slow, the bass is too fast, the chords are wrong, they're making the ending too long..." // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics are usually screamed instead of sung, but that just adds to the feel of the music. The album features a live recording of "Ever", which in the end, you can hear a show ending audience fight which was egged on by the band members themselves. That incident hints greatly at the chaos that made Flipper such a wonderful live band. The hardcore-lampooning Brainwash is the band at it's fastest and most unlistenable, thanks to the annoying voiceover. The lyrics for "Falling" and "The Little Old Lady Who Swallowed a Fly" captures the band at it's loosest and most deranged, as both songs sound like on-the-spot improvisations. Ha Ha Ha, and Ever, could stand as quintessential Flipper tracks. The singer, Bruce Loose, does a better job than I could ever do as singing. He's able to scream his lungs out in songs ranging as high as 8 minutes, and still be able to sing another song. I don't know why, but I've always loved his voice's tone. // 8

Overall Impression: This record has the same greatness about it as Generic Flipper, which I consider to be a classic, and is at the front of my music collection. The most impressive songs in my opinion are "Sex Bomb" and "Ever". I chose these tracks because they caught me from the first time I ever heard them. It took me a while to get into some other tracks, I'll admit. I love the loud drums, sometimes unorganized guitar riffs, the slide whistle in Sex Bomb, the vocals, and of course the catchy, simple bass lines. I only hate that the album went out of print and it took forever to get re-released, but it happened, and I'm over it. If this album was stolen, I would kick the ass of whoever stole it, or maybe invite them to listen to it because at times, it can be a challenge finding people that listen to music like this in my area. Overall I recommend Sex Bomb Baby to everyone. // 10

More Flipper reviews rating latest review
+ Love 4.5 08/06/2009