Flyleaf Review

8.5
 8.6
 8.3
Flyleaf Reviewed by: breakdancer4jah, on march 14, 2006

Sound: Flyleaf's sound is impressive. They are a hard rock band with a female vocalist, but they get away from that Amy Lee sound that has ruled the female rock scene. The music itself reminds me of Chevelle. It is drop tuned guitars, heavy riffs, chubbing chords, etc. It is intense music. The music blends extremely well with the singer's voice. This is the first release by Flyleaf. The band is made up of four guys, a drummer, a bass player, and two guitarists. Then of course, the female vocalist. Each song is a powerful and unique experience. You find yourself falling in love with the band after each new song. Another similarity to Chevelle is how the singer screams, but it is not something you'll hear in everysong. She has an amazing scream, but it is not overused. // 9

Lyrics: Singer Lacey Mosley will absolutly blow you away! The CD kicks off with their single, "I'm So Sick." She sings a short passage and then rips into a scream that would leave most heavy singers crying. Her voice is phenominal in it's own right too, see can sing extremely well. Her voice is Amy Lee mixed with Avril Lavigne. She has a beautiful range, hiting all the highs and lows. Her lyrics, as Lacey says, "Has a postive message so people see it is possible to get through the worst situtations." This lyrics mix great with the music. Lacey is easily one of the greatest singers of our time. // 10

Overall Impression: Flyleaf is a new band. This is one of the greatest first albums out there. If you can't trust me, you should know that guitar-god Dave Navarro is featured on this CD. My favorite song is still the opening song/CD single "I'm So Sick." It showcases what Flyleaf is truly about, heavy music with ripping and beautiful vocals. This band really brings it in your face. The only real down side is, at 11 tracks, the CD is only some 33 minutes long. You will want the CD to keep going. But it is a great set of 11 songs, so enjoy what there is and be on the look out for the next album by Flyleaf! // 9

Flyleaf Reviewed by: krillen5, on may 31, 2006

Sound: I first heard Flyleaf when they were called Passerby. At first, I was very skepticle about them because they had a female vocalist. In most cases I just don't prefer female vocalists, but their passion, sound and style is undeniable. The sound is really dynamic and moving. The vocal style used by Lacy is very unique. My favorite component of Flyleaf's sound is the guitars. The guitar riffs are very creative, catchy, and possess a wide range of influence. The leads accentuate the pulsating rhythm very well. Flyleaf possesses an original sound that is executed well. Some of my favorite songs are Fully Alive, So I Thought, All Around Me, Perfect, and Breathe Today. // 9

Lyrics: I've always liked bands that have clever lyrics attached to the great sound of the instruments. The "nobody likes me, I'm suicidal, my dad didn't come to my baseball game" type lyrics are exhausting. Lacy covers a broad area of topics in her lyrics. Flyleaf is primarily a "spiritual-based" band, and they draw from their spritual experiences and extend them into their music. Lacy's lyrics are intelligent and thoughtful. Her interpretation of her life, spiritality, and perception of the world incites your own personal reflection. The lyrics alone have given me hope and spirtual strength. // 10

Overall Impression: Flyleaf is definitely on the rise. They are original and genuine rockers. I love that their lyrics are honest and up-lifting and their sound is like a shot of adrenaline. I totally love this band and the message they try to get across. Flyleaf's passion for their spirituality is evident in their music. I know a lot of people are turned off by spiritual or christian music, but musicians are good musicians if they draw their energy and message from the soul and heart. // 10

Flyleaf Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 25, 2007

Sound: Firstly off, I heard this band first off on XM radio up at a cabin in the middle of Lake of the Woods. But that's another story (a really different story.) I instantly thought it was amazing. So, naturally, I had to investigate. So I went to Napster. Searched up Flyleaf, and look! There's their album! So, first song, I'm So Sick. Wow, that's a different sound! I listen to more tracks. This is different! I like! Flyleaf kills metal, brings them back to life, and brainwashes them into a completely different sound. Some songs such as Sorrow, are just breathtaking. Now, while I wouldn't call the guitar difficult by any means, it's just enough to give it the punch Flyleaf needs. The drums are much like the guitar. They just give it enough to give it a full sound, which is good. If there's one thing I can't stand, it's a thin sounding band. Now, that's a good sound right there! And with that, we all move on to the oh-so-special category... Lyrics! Expect a lot of praise coming up. // 8

Lyrics: Z. O. M. G. Lacey's vocals are incredible. Though I know a lot of people would be annoyed to no end by them, they're so unique and different. And I love it! I love it all! I wasn't paying too much attention to the actual lyrics of the song. That doesn't matter! She could be saying gibberish and I'd still fall in love with it. What's more? She's got a scream that could make Lamb of God cringe! I was listening to I'm So Sick for the first time, thinking... What a pretty voice! "Raaaagh!" Seriously, I was not expecting something so crazy. But, obviously, I should have been prepared. While she only screams a few times, it's loud, mean, and crazy. And I love it. // 10

Overall Impression: This album will stick to me for long enough. It blows Evanescence away, that's for sure. If this thing were lost, I would track down the guy who stole it, give him a smelly nelson, make him re-paint my house, give the CD back, buy two other CD's along with it, and do it all while wearing a camo bra. Yes, I love this CD that much. So much, I might even buy it if I find it! I say again, I'm So Sick is one of the best songs, but All Around Me is amazing too. Yes, this is worth buying. All your base are belong to Flyleaf. // 8

Flyleaf Reviewed by: masterometal666, on april 03, 2006

Sound: Flyleaf's sound is somewhat heavy. The only problem is their consistancy. "So Sick" Is heavy in the verses and the chorus is melodic at first, but breaks into a heavy riff. They generally play in C# throughout the album. Though somewhat repetitive, they pull it off well in the first few songs and then it goes sour. The rest is boring and monotonus, and sounds pretty similar to the other songs. If they could pull off more songs that held the same sound as "So Sick" then it would be a good album. Fans of emo will enjoy this record. Fans of Metal will enjoy the first track and hate the rest, while maybe half enjoying a few other songs. // 3

Lyrics: The lyrics are very religious, suprisingly. Most of them are written to God or for God or says how god helped get them through a rough spot, etc. The lyrics don't tend to fit well with the music, due to the fact that the vocals are usually in the high notes. Lacy Mosely has the ability to scream and make it sound good, but uses it for one song only. Instaed she chooses to try and sing when she has an irritating habit of voicing her breaths, making her sound out of breath all of the time. // 5

Overall Impression: Compared to an album such as, say, Great Divide, this album is good. Put it next to Appetite for Destruction, The Black Album for Metallica, or Disclaimer, and it gets blown away. What it all comes down to is lack of creativity. I can think of plenty of bands that sound like Flyleaf. If this CD was stolen, I would get So Sick for my iPod instead of rebuying it. It's just not worth it. 2 bonus points for writing the song though. // 4

Flyleaf Reviewed by: Torino1, on november 03, 2006

Sound: First impression that I had on this CD is that it was fifty/fifty. It has some good songs, some okay songs, and some crappy songs. The band had no real story to the band creation. They use almost all rock with some soft spots. The only way that Flyleaf is possibly innovative is because of their version of rock music. It's hard and soft at the same time (this excludes I'm So Sick, Fully Alive, and Cassie). Another last thing is that they sometimes change the songs on the CD and songs on the video. For example, Fully on the CD has a solo without any guitar in the background, and eventually, both guitars are playing the same solo with a little bit of 'freestyle'. // 8

Lyrics: Lacey Mobley, Flyleaf's lead vocalist, really can sing well. But I'm not sure if it was just that time, but at Flyleaf's MySpace they had videos of live band recordings, and she sucked! But, it might have just been a cold or something. Anyway, the lyrics aren't the greatest ever. They're mostly about strong or broken relationships, which I don't like. At all. The heavy sounds of the guitars combined with the semi-mushy lyrics of emotional teenage girl makes a song that some people will love and others will hate. I, for one, am neutral. // 7

Overall Impression: This album's structure, or anything about it, does not compare to any other album that I have or that any of my friends have. I still like it. I don't have to wait deep into the album to hear the biggest hits or get my lazy finger to move up to hit the "foward" button. To be completely honest, this album only has two actual good songs, which are "Fully Alive" and "I'm So Sick", which I have listed so many times in this whole review. I suppose my favourite this about the entire self-named album, "Flyleaf", is the album artwork. It looks so run down or city-like or something. I don't know what the word is, but I like the artwork. I hate, though, some of the songs. Mostly "Perfect", "Cassie", and "There For You". If this album was stolen or lost, I would get a different album because this one is good, but just not worth it. // 8

Flyleaf Reviewed by: ChopSuey19, on january 30, 2008

Sound: When I first heard Flyleaf on the radio, I thought, "The girl's got a great voice," and "This sounds like Chevelle." After listening to them more and finally getting the cd, I realized my mistake. This group isn't merely good, they're immensely talented. You might say to yourself that the rythym is generic and not unique, but you would be fooling yourself. Their obscure (not in a bad way) strumming and extensive use of pedals and other effects is easily apparent. The members are veterans in the music business, being together for some years before the release of the LP. If you doubt my words in their uniqueness, I would tell you to listen to the Special Edition acoustic tracks; brilliant and heartfelt adaptations of the great songs found on this CD. With this type of sound, one would think at first smell that this is an emo band complaining about their problems. Nope. Singer Lacey Mosley and the rest are not only trying to show that they, too, have been through harsh times, but they also mean to prove that there is a brighter side to things. Unfortunately, it is easy to get sick of the loud, metal sound. This isn't music for all times of the year. // 8

Lyrics: Labeled Mainstream but self quoted as "a band with Christian influences", the band wirtes very compelling lyrics that are meant to raise the chins of many who are down. With a strong reinforcement from their Divine beliefs, this band is intent on playing great music and, hopefully, helping as many as they can. Their crafting of lyrics is impressive; it reminds me of eloquent literature or poetry. Using subtle phrases and references, they make lyrics inspiring, yet shocking. As some meaningful words take time to sink into your brain, Ms. Mosley jars you with surprising bluntness. // 10

Overall Impression: I do not think they compare to other artists. They manage to create, for themselves, their own category, such as groups like Tool and Janice Joplin and The Doors have done. Depending on your tempo, fast metal hits such as Breathe Today or I'm So Sick are good for exactly as they are described. Songs like Sorrow or So I Thought are good hits; slow and meaningful. My personal favorite would be Sorrow, for Lacy puts on an impressive display of her strong, emotionally-filled voice in this song. I think for those who are looking for a new side to music, they ought to try this. It is likely a kind of music they haven't registered into their brains before, I would bet. An absolute must-have for modern rock fans, metal or otherwise. // 10

Flyleaf Reviewed by: shredder51, on june 25, 2008

Sound: This band's sound is a lot like other bands that you hear these days with some twists. Most of the guitar is just a bunch of power chords, but hey, that's all you need for a good song. Some messages are complex in music, others simple. I especially on "Sorrow" when one of the guitarists uses a violin bow instead of a pick. The vocals are really the main focus of the song. The band kicks it off with the aggressive "I'm So Sick", and half an hour later closes it with some guitar feedback on "So I Thought". Every song on the album is worth listening to. // 9

Lyrics: Lacey Mosley's vocals are amazing and even ethereal on the album. She's also a great screamer, but her scream isn't something you hear a whole lot of. But at times she sounds whiny and annoying, like at the beginning of "Sorrow" or on a lot of the acoustic versions. Overall, pretty good. The lyrics manage to communicate a plethora of emotions throughout the album. One second she's talking about suicide ("Cassie"), then she's singing about her past drug addiction ("Perfect", "I'm Sorry"), then about a really nice guy ("All Around Me", "Red Sam", "So I Thought"), then just plain positive messages ("Fully Alive"). If her career doesn't work anymore in singing, she could be a very successful songwriter. // 9

Overall Impression: This album isn't much like anything else you can buy today. You discover something new in the lyrics every time you listen to it, and when the album ends a short thirty minutes after you started it, you want it to keep going. "Breathe Today" and "Cassie" are my favorite songs on the album, even with "I'm So Sick" at the beginning. I've ripped it to my computer already, but I'd still buy another copy if it were stolen or lost. // 10

Flyleaf Reviewed by: timmyjock, on february 11, 2009

Sound: Flyleaf on this record has broken all the rules of Hard rock and told all those who hate them to f*** off, that's the feeling I get when I listen to this album. They have such a unique sound, with they're down tuned guitars and heavy riffs but most hard rocks are so complex and structure is way off from your normal structure but Flyleaf have just stuck with "Simple" that is the best word to describe this album. I mean the guitar solo's aren't minutes long and played in 32 notes and all that, it's simple and it works. The whole mix of the recordings don't sound all polished up and pitch perfect which I love, reminds me of John Lennon he was exactly the same, cause nobody play's a song all the way and doesn't make a mistake. And to have Female singer who screams and does a damn good job of it too well need I say anymore, Flyleaf's sound is so unique you never get tired of it. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics on this album aren't great they seem very hateful and very negative which don't get me wrong I'm fine with negativity but it seems that's all they can talk about and convey I mean there is good planet, for example the last song "So I Thought" beautifully written I couldn't ask for more but the it's about breaking up I really wanted to hear something more happy from them. However I do really like what was written through the album, the way it was written, the way it was sung, beautiful. Good lyrics and awesome vocals but very one sided. // 9

Overall Impression: I think this album is an album that will stay with me til I'm old and grey, it's inspirational and very different, I couldn't ask for anymore. I can't wait to hear their next album. // 10

Flyleaf Reviewed by: unregistered, on september 17, 2009

Sound: Flyleaf's sound can only be described as different and unique. I've never ever heard a female vocalist scream like Lacey does! While their guitar doesn't seem too, too complicated, it sounds very nice with her voice and the bass and drums. A few of the songs, like "I'm So Sick," "Cassie," and "Breathe Today," are heavy metal, while others like "There For You" and "So I Thought," not to mention the acoustic versions of some of their songs, are very mellow and quiet. The others aren't exactly heavy metal, but they certainly aren't soft. I was very impressed by their sound...there's a little something for everyone in this album, I think. // 8

Lyrics: Lacey's lyrics are shockingly deep. This is my main reason for listening to them. For instance, "I'm Sorry" is about being abused as a child. "Red Sam" is about her conversion...wishing her wrist were bleeding to stop the pain, before realizing Jesus was there to help her. "Cassie" is about the Columbine episode, about Casssie Bernall, the girl who was marytered along with her friend Rachel. "I'm So Sick" sounds like it's about sexual abuse. "Sorrow" really gives me a feeling of what sorrow is. I can relate to many of her lyrics, and while I don't really know what emo means, I don't think they are, if that makes sense. I think the lyrics fit perfectly with their style. Lacey knows how to make her voice fit with the songs, putting just enough emotion into them so that they don't sound whingy or apathetic. // 10

Overall Impression: I think it can compare to Paramore in style. For lyrics and the unique voice, it compares to Plumb. Flyleaf is very different, so I can't say they compare to very many artists. My favorite song is "I'm Sorry," about abuse. I like the riffs in the verses, and you can tell she's singing from experience as she sings the chorus. "Close my eyes and brace myself..." I also really like the acoustic songs. I love how she sings from her heart...she's really thinking about the lyrics and meaning...she's not just singing the words carelessly. I don't like how Pat looks goth, and I don't like how the guitars are mostly playing in the same key, but other than those minor details, I love the album! If the album got lost a million times, I'd buy it over and over! It's totally worth it! // 10

More Flyleaf reviews rating latest review
+ New Horizons 7.8 11/29/2012