Much Like Falling [EP] Review

flyleaf: Much Like Falling [EP]
Released: Oct 30, 2007
Genre: Post-Grunge / Christian Rock / Alternative Metal
Label: Octone
It includes unreleased songs not featured on their self-titled album.
 9.4
 9.8
review (1) user comments vote for this album:
Much Like Falling [EP] Reviewed by: unregistered, on september 17, 2009

Sound: Much Like Falling-EP is a very touching and inspiring album! With Supernatural (Acoustic) being a very quiet song, and Justice And Mercy having screaming in every chorus, the contrast between songs is incredible! I love the acoustic guitar in "Supernatural" and I like the bass intro in "Much Like Falling." The blast of guitar in the beginning of "Tina" is very cool. I have to say, though, Lacey's vocals do not match the guitar in the beginning verse of "Justice And Mercy." She is totally off key, and it bothers me at times, but it resolves itself quickly, as she moves on to the rest of the verse. "Justice And Mercy" is heavy metal, and "Tina" is heavier rock (though not metal). "Supernatural" is quiet and slow, and "Much Like Falling" is just normal rock style. Very impressive. // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics to "Much Like Falling" are very, very deep, touching on the subject of suicide. She realizes in the song that suicide is selfish, and so she "keeps waking up." "Supernatural" is about a woman that dies from some sort of sickness (brain cancer, I assume), and her son has every reason to be angry with God, but refuses to be bitter anyway, and has "supernatural patience." The other songs have similar themes. The lyrics are what impress me most about this album. I don't think she made any mistakes in the writing of the lyrics. They fit the songs perfectly, and with execption of the beginning of Justice And Mercy, her vocals are impressive. // 10

Overall Impression: I don't think they can compare to anything I've heard. Her voice sounds like Paramore's and Plumb's, but her style is just plain different and special. I love the lyrics, love the tunes. What she lacks in style, she makes up in her lyrics. All in all, this album is impressive, though not as good as the first self-titled debut, Flyleaf. I would buy it again (but if it got lost three or four times, I'd just leave it). Yah, it's pretty good, but if you have the option of this album or the first, buy the first, and skip this one. // 9

More Flyleaf reviews rating latest review
+ New Horizons 7.8 11/29/2012