Total Life Forever Review

artist: foals date: 04/06/2011 category: compact discs
foals: Total Life Forever
Released: May 10, 2010
Genre: Indie rock, alternative dance, post-rock
Label: Transgressive
Theyve made a wonderful record its happy, sad, long and short and its all in 55 minutes.
 9.3
 9.5
review (1) user comments vote for this album:
Total Life Forever Reviewed by: radicalegoman, on april 06, 2011

Sound: For starters Foals sophomore record Total Life Forever is impressive. Since Antidotes Foals supported Blur on their reunion tour played at Rockfeedback, T in the Park, All Tomorrows Parties and the London's Heaven Music Festivals testing out the new tracks as well as moving to Sweden to record this album. Its less funky than the first record, its inspired by Technological Singularity and a lot more mature' plus theirs no unorthodox recording like the first record but it shows how Foals didn't want to make another Antidotes. It took one month to record the album in Gothenburg and it was produced by Luke Smith. // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics from what I've heard is about getting hurt and not having someone there for you or having someone there for you like on the track Miami Yannis Philippakis sings Would you be there, be there for me? or on Blue Blood You've got blue blood on your hands, I think it's my own, Of all people, We could be two This Orient It's your heart that gives me this western feeling if these songs are based on true events then people have been messing around with the bands hearts to make then sing about this. There are happier moments on the album like the title track Total Life Forever it's a very funk driven track and layered vocals make it seem complete, Miami from what it sounds it's a very fun, happy track but it has dark lyrics which somehow work so damn well. Yannis Philippakis's vocals are well delivered and very different to previous Foals work. But after listening to all the layering on the record it makes you wonder would it work live? // 9

Overall Impression: Compared to Antidotes the album is more heartbroken and in general more mature. You won't get sick of it easily every track sounds different and it's not very repetitive. Stand out tracks include: Total Life Forever, Spanish Sahara, This Orient, Black Gold and 2 Trees. Foals are now in a danger zone if they write a bad record after this one they could be forgotten and be trying to grasp your attention somehow something that's happened to The Vines, Jet and The Dandy Warhols. At this current moment of which I am writing this review Foals are already working on album #3 which could lead to some concern that it could be rushed and have only half finished songs. Overall I say well done Foals. They've made a wonderful record it's happy, sad, long and short and it's all in 55 minutes. Plus Pitchforck gave it 7.6 so it mustn't be that bad for something that isn't Animal Collective of Kanye West. // 10

More Foals reviews rating latest review
+ Antidotes 9.3 11/30/2009