Foo Fighters Review

artist: foo fighters date: 05/28/2009 category: compact discs
foo fighters: Foo Fighters
Released: Jul 4, 1995
Genre: Rock
Tones: Rebellious, Melancholy, Theatrical, Rollicking, Playful, Fun, Freewheeling, Raucous, Rambunctious
Styles: Alternative Pop/Rock, Grunge, Post-Grunge
 Lyrics: 9.2
Foo Fighters Reviewed by: bexinthematrix, on october 28, 2003

Sound: 'Foo Fighters' has quite a distorted fuzzy sound all the way through, but it doesn't at any point become annoying. The album ranges from pop songs, such as 'This is a Call' and 'Big Me' to heavier, driving tracks such as 'Wattershed' and 'Weenie Beenie'. I think the sound is quite raw and very appropriate considering the time Dave Grohl was at when he made the record. // 10

Lyrics: The album opens with the very uplifting 'This is a Call', it's poppy, it's happy and the lyrics reflect that. All the lyrics seem appropriate to their respective songs, but in all honesty most of the time I have no idea what Dave's saying; I don't mind though. The vocals fit with the songs and and Dave has a great range of voal abilities. The vocals that probably stand out the most are the highly distorted tones of 'Weenie Beenie' and the cool 'For all the Cows' which are well worth listening to. // 10

Overall Impression: I think this is a very good Foo Fighters record, the best songs, in my opinion, are probably 'This is a Call', 'Wattershed' and 'For all the Cows'. Although i think 'Foo Fighters' is a great album I'm not always in the mood to listen to it which I think stops me from giving it 5 out of 5. I'm not sure who this album would be suited too but I think Foo fans, especially those who like 'The Colour and the Shape' will like this record, I don't think its suited to everyone's tastes though. // 8

Foo Fighters Reviewed by: unregistered, on february 24, 2004

Sound: This is actually a little bit of rock and softer rock. "Big Me" is like a 60's kind of song while "I'll Stick Around" is more of a modern rock but surprisingly enough, it's a good variation of the two. The guitar part on "Weenie Beenie" is outstanding. // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics are deep (well except for "Weenie Beenie" because you can barely understand David Grohl) and give of a good vibe that will leave a smile on your face. The lyrics from "This is a Call" gives a really positive outlook when the tune is added. // 10

Overall Impression: Foo Fighters' first cd, Foo Fighters, is very well put together. The combination of the old and modern music makes an excellent combination. The songs on the album aren't played on the radio, but this cd is worth buying even if you haven't tried it out. // 10

Foo Fighters Reviewed by: feesk8ordie, on september 16, 2005

Sound: Well, as you'd expect, the sound is completely different to say, One by One or In Your Honour, as this album is essentially a demo of dave's songs he wrote during Nirvana. He never knew how big Foo Fighters would become, so obviously this wasn't a huge-production album. I personally love the rawness and spontenuity grunge-sound of the album, though for fans of In Your Honour, who probably expect better production, this may not be for you. If this review was my own opinion I would be giving it 5 stars all round, but trying to be subjective, I'd give the production a 3. However, due to the undeniable diversity of the album (for example the acoustic Big me is followed by the punk rock Alone + Easy Target which is in turn is followed by the almost metal sounding Good Grief) I think this album deserves a 4 for overall sound. // 8

Lyrics: Dave was writing and recording his own songs while Kurt was alive, and the end of Nirvana meant Dave could put more effort into his songs. Although it's sometimes difficult to draw any meaning from the lyrics, dave sings them in such a way, that you don't need to. His voice completely intrigues the listener. One meaning he's singing in a whisper, the next he's screaming like a maniac! // 10

Overall Impression: I think the Foo's are such an incredibly consistent and awesome band that all the albums rank at the same level (except In Your Honour, I'd say, is slightly worse than the others) and any song could easily be a single. This album keeps the listener interested from the anthemic first track This Is a Call, right to fuzzy, hypnotic Exhausted. A worthwhile, no... essential listen for any fans of grunge or punk rock. The fans that have only heard Monkey Wrench and All My Life may not be entirely satisfied, but for any other fans I would seriously reccomend investing some time and money into this album. I think of this album more of a Nirvana album than a Foo's one, as that's kinda what it sounds like, yet still has that distinctive something that makes it completely Foos. // 10

Foo Fighters Reviewed by: Past-time, on october 26, 2005

Sound: The sound of this album is quite unlike their future albums, as most of these were recorded by Dave Grohl during his spare time with Nirvana, he didn't really have the best way to record it. Most of the songs have a bit of a fuzzy sound to them (especially "Exhausted") but that by no means ruins them. There aren't many slow tracks on the album. I'd only consider "Exhausted" the truly slow one, the rest are fast, or just mid-tempo. Distorted guitars are put to well use, with very catchy riffs, evident on "Weenie Beenie," "I'll Stick Around," "Alone + Easy Target" and "For All The Cows." He did an excellent job of playing all instruments on the album (except a guitar part on X-Static). Drumming is exceptional (considering Dave was Nirvana's drummer), and guitars and bass are innovative and catchy (especially because they aren't Dave's main instruments). // 8

Lyrics: Unfortunately, a lot of the lyrics on this album are sort of, nonsense. "Wattershed" is a prime example, but it is still an amazing song. As these were Dave's first attempts at singing, (and maybe it's me) he sung quite faintly, and his voice we all recognize isn't as evident in his songs as in the later albums. Some of the songs are better on lyrics, like "I'll Stick Around" and "This Is A Call." Others are a bit weird, in "For all the cows," "Wattershed" and the oddly entertaining distorted voice in "Weenie Beenie." Dave Grohl's voice in "Weenie Beenie" has been so distorted I seriously doubt anyone can make out all the lyrics, except Dave himself. I don't call it stupid, I call it originality. // 7

Overall Impression: Overall, I've enjoyed this album quite a bit, though the songs start to sound the same after a long while of playing. For your convenience, I've included a rating for each song, as I have done for my review for the album "The Color And The Shape" (which I wasn't logged in when I made the review, just so you know). 01. This Is A Call - 8/10, some of the best drumming on the album in my opinion, and a very anthemic song. Not as catchy as the others, and the singing isn't amazing. All the same, it's a good song. Still haven't found out why he sings about fingernails. 02. I'll Stick Around - 7/10, a favourite song with many people, I don't like it as much, the singing, again, just doesn't seem to match with the music. Good intro though (many people have insinutated this song is about Courtney Love "I don't owe you anything..." which it is not). 03. Big Me - 9/10, a pretty song, to say in the least. Lyrics get repeated alot. It has an older sound to it, an older style of rock, sounds like from the '80s almost. The video for it is quite entertaining, it includes a parody of Mentos, "Footos," which led Dave Grohl to be pelted with Mentos at many performances. 04. Alone + Easy Target - 9/10, one of the more fuzzy songs on the album, which doesn't take away from it in the least. Dave's singing does though, the song is unexplainable catchy, and one of my favourites. 05. good Grief - 9/10, the main riff is an excellent one, and this a much more fast paced song. Singing is reasonable, and drumming stands out here. 06. Floaty - 9/10, though it doesn't seem very good at the first few listens, you'll eventually notice how good the song is. The chorus stands out. 07. Weenie Beenie - 8/10, great song to get you pumped, though you can't understand the words very well. Start of the chorus really gets you going, best part of the song, definitly. 08. Oh, George - 7/10, a dreary song, with dreary sounding singing, and dreary guitars. It doesn't really pick up at all, the solo is alright though. 09. For All The Cows - 10/10, my favourite song, (Dave Grohl isn't really singing about cows though). I love the bass, and it goes slow/fast/slow/fast/quiet/loud/quiet/loud ect. I'm obsessed with the verse, and it's quite a song to hear acoustic. After paying attention to the lyrics, they actually do make sense. 10. X-Static - 7/10, the intro is a great one, but the song just doesn't amass to anything. I really hate the singing on here. There are some good parts, but not many. 11. Wattershed - 8/10, super fast guitar playing, super fast/loud singing too. It's an ok song, catchy, but sounds pretty much the same throughout. The lyrics are comeplete nonsense from my point of view. Doesn't take away from the song at all though. 12. Exhausted - 9/10, a very fuzzy song, disapointingly, because I love it. A very heavy song, and I think would make a good single if less fuzzy. Overall, this album deserves an 8. I don't suggest anyone other than a Foo Fighter fan to buy it, better to start with "The Color And The Shape" or "There Is Nothing Left To Lose." A reasonable album, I'd probably buy "There Is Nothing Left To Lose" instead if I lost this album, as I don't own it yet, and it's a very good one. // 8

Foo Fighters Reviewed by: jagstang270, on february 04, 2006

Sound: OK, the sound that came through my speakers when I first heard this album was outstanding, and really impressed me, considering the recording quality, production, value, moral and other stuff attached to the making of the album. The sound rings a bit fuzzy as it was supposed to sound at those post Nirvana days. It is clear that dave could complete the grunge sound if he wanted and contrebute to the evolution of grunge music for the future. But instead he went for the more melodic soft rock songs, and sometimes makin' you wanna jump around with great fuzzy songs and awsome guitar riffs! // 10

Lyrics: The sightings I had from the lyrics were arranged in clear order. I really enjoyd listening to the melodic soft and amazing voice that joined the music with absolute harmony. The lyrics were not pale and surfaceless, but deep and emotional. I really enjoyed the lyrics and melody in such songs as "Big Me" and "Alone And Easy Target" great lyrics. dave grohl is truly a wonderfull songwriter. // 10

Overall Impression: Compared to the other Foo Fighters' albums. This is probably my second favorite after "The Colour And The Shape." I can't say that there were parts when I was dissapointed from this CD. It has a great track list. And oh so powerfull songs such as "For All The Cows," "Alone And Easy Target," "Big Me," "I'll Stick Around" (rumor has it that the lyrics were written about Holes' frontwomen and Kurt Cobain's ex-wife Courtney Love) "This Is A Call" and my favorite track on this CD "Oh, George." If it was stolen I would defenitly buy it again, actually I'll buy 2. // 10

Foo Fighters Reviewed by: Stratogibson, on may 28, 2009

Sound: The Foo Fighters first album is the most spontaneous sounding CD they have. Dave Grohl did all the instruments and vocals except for a guitar part on X-Static. This is the album the sounds most like the "grunge" movement than any other album by the Foo Fighters.(Please note that the foos weren't really in the movement it was just a comparison.) It has a rough sound and unprocessed aesthetic that gives it charachter. It is my favorite Foo Fighters album and if you are a fan of Nirvana, this will be a must have album to your collection. // 9

Lyrics: Dave Grohl's Lyrics are pretty unique especially on the song "This Is A Call." In most of his songs, he has straightforward lyrics mixed with some incomprehensible rebuttles. It forces the listener to make thier own interpretation of what the song means. The Dynamic works and it makes the songs stronger. The lyrics are very creative and very original. // 8

Overall Impression: Like I said above, this album is my favorite Foo Fighters album. Yes, it may have some flaws or unpopularity, but the rawness is what makes it sound good. This Is A Call, I'll Stick Around, Big Me, For All The Cows, and Alone+Easy Target are the songs that stick out. If I lost or had this album stolen, I would definately buy it back. That's a no-brainer. // 9

More Foo Fighters reviews rating latest review