In Your Honor Review

Released: Jun 14, 2005
Label: RCA
Genre: Rock
Styles: Alternative Pop/Rock, Post-Grunge, Hard Rock
For as much as vocalist/bandleader Grohl and Co. mix a similar concoction on the 20-song double CD, they manage to agitate the formula ever so slightly.
 Lyrics: 8.8
 8.6
 8.9
 8.3
In Your Honor Reviewed by: duncang, on september 13, 2005

Sound: Foo Fighters are a great band, and nobody can deny that. They have made 5 albums now, and not one of them has a terrible song. They all have their lowlights and highlights, but not one terrible song. Out of about 60. Christ. The rock side has a classic Foo's sound to it, not like One By One, which really broke the mould, In Your Honour just makes you even more sure this is gonna be absolutely mindblowing. Dave Grohl's vocals are powerful as anything, and I think Chris Shiflett is one of the best guitarists in a band which barely ever uses solos. Breakdowns are the key here. The acoustic has a similar sound to it, and as Dave has said in many interviews, it can be as powerful as a wall of amps sometimes. Overall I prefer the rock, but the acoustic side has Dave showing his soft side. With appearances from Josh Homme, John Paul-Jones and (oh yes) Norah Jones, this makes one good album. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are great (especially in No Way Back and Miracle) and the way Dave sings some of them really puts it forward. Otherwise I really do have no idea what I'm on about, because I'm not the cleverest (or admittedly, oldest) of people. But I'll give it a 5 anyway. // 10

Overall Impression: Rock Disc: 01. In Your Honour - epic and spreaded well. The breakdown has a screaming Dave Grohl, and I am glad that doesnt feature many more times. Best bit: chorus 10/10. 02. No Way Back - a good shot for a single, but I would never have released this over Best Of You. Anthemic, and a chorus to match most Foo Fighters songs. And thats saying something. Best bit: chorus 10/10. 03. Best Of You - first single, and I would say it was awful and repetitive if it wasn't just so damn amazing. It's more epic than the whole first album, more anthemic than Learn To Fly and has a better vocal than any other Foo Fighters song, except for possibly Learn To Fly and All My Life. Beat bit: pre-final chorus 10/10. 04. Doa - the new single, and it's good stuff, but I got this album on the day it was released and since then it has got irritating. The riff just gets in your head in the bad way. The chorus is brilliantly un-epic, which shows the Foos aren't going for the overblown approach. But when I first heard it it was the best song ever. So its getting a 10 anyway. Best bit: chorus 10/10. 05. Hell - one of the catchiest songs on the album, and in a way relaxed, even though its fast, loud and a burning 2 minutes long. Best bit: chorus 10/10. 06. The Last Song - another probable single, with a pure rock chorus, very Breakout-ish, and just another good song. Best bit: last chorus 9/10. 07. Free Me - nothing like anything else Foos have done, because it's in 6 over 4, very different, and heavy. Best bit: riff 10/10. 08. Resolve - anthems make me listen to them too much, I'll be listening to nothing but this album for ages now! Christ. Best bit: chorus 8/10. 09. The Deepest Blues Are Back - the softest of the rock songs, but the chorus still packs a kick. Best bit: verse 9/10. 10. End Over End - classic quiet-loud dynamic, with the end being more like loud-louder. Riff of the album methinks, except maybe Free Me. Hooks you from the beginning, this would have made a better single than Doa, if they edited it a bit, because singles don't like to be too long. Best bit: chorus 10/10. Acoustic Disc: 01. Still - opening tells you what to expect from this side, as does the name of the song. Good guitar, and soft singing from Grohl, which continues throughout 9/10. 02. What If I Do - a bit more of an old-fashioned guitar part, and the song in general. The chorus is impressive 9/10. 03. Miracle - one of the highlights, this could easily work as a rock song too. John Paul-Jones features 9/10. 04. Another Round - best song on the acoustic side easily. Nothing left to say 10/10. 05. Friend Of A Friend - Nirvana-esque and about Kurt obviously, very chilling, and in fact it's better than anything Nirvana did with this kind of formula 10/10. 06. Over N' Out - I wrote a song with a riff very much like this one before I had heard it, and made it into a heavy rock song! It was very weird when I heard it played so softly and smoothly sang by Dave Grohl! They stole my song! But it's probably better this way 9/10. 07. On The Mend - this one is the lowlights of the set, this song would be awful live, and isnt exactly great on the album 7/10. 08. Virginia Moon - featuring Norah Jones, which is actually a good thing, this wouldn't be even slightly good if it was Grohl on his own, this is very much a womans song to sing. And being Norah Jones, she has a great voice and performs it well 8/10. 09. Cold Day In The Sun - Taylor comes out from behind the drums and Dave retreats back, and it sounds good. I wouldn't be suprised if they did this a couple more times in (if they make any) future albums. I'm not sure if Taylor's voice would fit in a rock song though. Stick to Dave for the screaming guys 10/10. 10. Razor - features Josh "Amazing Band Destroyer" Homme with a second guitar part, I was veyr puzzled about this until I heard that Josh was in it, because it sounds amazing hard, but it is hard to distinguish the two parts, obviously Dave has the easier part because he has to sing, but he is also a better guitarist than Josh. Who knows 9/10. // 10

In Your Honor Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 16, 2005

Sound: The sound of this album is almost theatric. Every song is a hit in the making. Dave Grohl keeps the Foos sound we all know in love throughout while throwing on an extra acoustic disc with appearances by Norah Jones and Josh Holmes from Queens Of The Stone Age. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics in this album are something else (in a good way) I have never heard Dave Grohl sing as well as he did in this album. The lyrics are thoughtful and inspiring. The lyrics get you pumped up. // 8

Overall Impression: This album doesnt really compare to many artists. I buy a lot of CDs and I haven't heard anything else like this. Some of the best songs on the album would be "The Best Of You," "DOA," "The Last Song," "No Way Back" and my personal favorite "Razor." The most impressive thing on this CD to me is Dave Grohls singing and songwriting. If this CD were to be stolen or lost I would for sure buy it again. Best Foo's album yet. // 10

In Your Honor Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 17, 2005

Sound: The sound is great I think Dave Grohl is great and I love the concept of a double album one rock and the other acoustic. I love the variety of instruments they use on the acoustic disc like piano, harmonica, and the mandolin. // 10

Lyrics: I think this is their best record for lyrics they go much deeper and go to more real topics and really get to the point. I love this album. // 10

Overall Impression: This is by far the Foo's best album it's the best. My favorite tracks are "Best Of You," "Resolve," "End Over End," "Still" and my favorite track on the album "Another Round." The thing I think that makes this album awesome is the guest musicians on it Norah Jones and Dave do a duet together on "Virginia Moon" Josh Homme from QOTSA plays guitar on "Razor" and the coolest guest John Paul Jones play piano on "Miracle" and his classic mandolin on "Another Round" This is by far by far their best album it will soon be considered a classic with other double albums such as "Physical Grafitti," "The Wall" and "The White Album." It diserves the rating of 5. // 10

In Your Honor Reviewed by: americanmovie23, on june 28, 2005

Sound: Disc 1: the sound isnt amazing. But it is better than a lot of other bands out there right now. It's just your average standard distorted guitars. But what I love is Dave Grohl's voice. Dave doesn't sing, he screams in tune. He got that from Robin Zander of Cheap Trick. But still its different from a lot of other things out there. Disc 2: the sound gets so repetitive. All of the acoustics sound exactly the same. By Friend Of A Friend, I just played it in the background while I played Halo on my XBox. What they should've done rather than a double album, was take about 2 or 3 songs from Disc 2, and put them in to Disc 1. Then save all the other songs from Disc 2 for another album Somewhere Down The Road because it just sounds the same after a while. // 6

Lyrics: Disc 1: the lyrics really arent that hard to comprehend. All they had to do was say f--k fifty times and talk about sex and they would've been Blink 182. But anyway, The lyrics fit the music and it's not really so much the lyrics its the way they are sang that saves them. Dave Grohl's screaming just adds depth to it somehow. Disc 2: not even worth my time. // 6

Overall Impression: Disc 1: It would've been fine if they just released disc one by itself. This is the best album that Foo Fighters has released. The double album thing just makes things way too repetitive and it gets stale after awhile. However I will listen to Disc 1 for a long time because it is really good. Disc 2: once again its not even worth my time. // 6

In Your Honor Reviewed by: unregistered, on july 25, 2005

Sound: In keeping with the regular Foo Fighters sound, 'In Your Honour' is agreat example of the Foo's at their best! I think that Dave's voice has really improved and together with the mega-destorted guitars, the pounding guitars and the heavy bass lines, In Your Honour comes together as a fantastic album. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics in most of the songs are great - but with some exceptions. For example 'The Last Song' gets very annoying after you hear it a couple of times. Personally, overall I feel that on disc two, the lyrics are more deap and meaningful as opposed to disc one. Nevertheless, Dave's voice is faultless and you can definitely hear an improvment from the Foo Fighters' other albums. // 6

Overall Impression: Overall, this album is a must-have for every Foos fan. And, because of the obvious variation between the two discs, there is something for everyone! In Your Honour is full of radio-friendly songs but still manages to include all aspects of a great hard rock album. // 10

In Your Honor Reviewed by: Donkey Fly, on july 30, 2005

Sound: My mate copied this for me and it's a good job he did, 'cause I'd never buy it. It's the worst CD I have. It's boring and really overated. It's too samey on the first disc and on the 2nd disc. The first track put me off completely, even though I have to listening to it. Best Of You which was released on single, was great, it's a good song and it's the only good thing about In Your Honor. There are various good points, some of the songs on disc 1 are similar to old Foo Fighter songs such as Last Song, old Foo Fighters was catchy and fun to listen to. It is also recorded well, 5 star recording quality and Grohl sounds good. It's layed out well but it just lacks simplicity and fun. // 4

Lyrics: The lyrics are good, even though there quite repetitive. The lyrics go well with the music, they fit in perfectly but there just a bit boring on some songs, I think most of it being to do with the actually music. David Grohl still has a good voice and teh ability to sing well. He's quite impressive on this album. // 8

Overall Impression: This is Foo Fighters' worst album yet. It's just so boring. The best songs on it are Best Of You, Last Song And In Your Honor. I don't love much about this, just the songs I mentioned. I hate the fact that it's boring, on 2 discs, and too same. If it was stolen I'd buy something else, maybe one of there first albums and then thank the person who stole it. // 6

In Your Honor Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 15, 2005

Sound: I think anxious is the word. That's how I was feeling the last few months when I first heard of the foos new album. And what a great reward they gave me. This album blasted my ears out, and at the same time it took me to deep places. Maybe it's me, but The music in its entirely is awesome. The opening track "In Your honor" (in my opinion one of the best of the album) is a hell of a loud song but at the same time breathtaking. Loved also the 2nd (no way back, it has kinda of an '80s feeling on it, of course with a nowadays sound) and fell in love instantly with Best Of You, the third track, and first cut of the album, that I think gets better in the context of the whole album. Also "The Last Song" and "Resolve" are great songs. The acoustic disc is great also, with great songs like "Still" (a great beginning for this journey), "Virginia Moon" (with Norah Jones) and "On The Mend." To tell you the truth I'm not a very big fan of the foos, I think they are great, loved One by one, I think Nothing Left to loose is also great, but this I'm in love with. It blew me out right from the start to the end. Put your stereo to its peak and try to feel the songs, they will, sooner or later, take over your head and body. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are great, I think Dave Grohl is at the top of his game in this album. It overwhealms me how he can scream with such anger in the first part, and sing so mellow in the other half. He did a heck of a job singing what he is writing. It's like he's explaining the meaning of the lyrics to the listener, by screaming in some parts and mellowing down or changing his voice in the next second. // 10

Overall Impression: Well, as you can see I love this album. I think they did a great job. Perhaps it's a bit hard to love all songs in the first listen, only because they're a lot. But having in mind they wrote 20 songs, it takes a few times listening it to get the true power of some songs. Maybe to some hardcore foos fans this ain't as good as their previous, but being a music fan overall, this album is a must! Trust me, it worths every penny. You won't be dissapointed. // 10

In Your Honor Reviewed by: A Warm Place, on june 16, 2005

Sound: Sound wise, this double album sounds pretty good. It sounds well produced, but none of the songs on this two disc set really seemed to stand out to me. I'm not saying at all that this album is bad, but it's not all that great either. There don't seem to be any new ideas or musical innovations presented. There are some catchy riffs though. Even though there isn't very much "lead" guitar on this album, the rhythm guitars are really good for rhythm. It's not just powerchords; these guys use more variety. // 6

Lyrics: Dave Grohl is a good singer in my opinion; he doesn't really sound like anyone else in particular. As far as his lyrics go (that is, if he writes all of the lyrics, because I have no idea), they deal with pretty much average stuff, mostly through understandable normal language. The lyrics, overall, are okay. // 6

Overall Impression: Overall, this album wasn't quite what I was expecting. I read somwhere that this was supposed to be the best Foo Fighters album to date, but it wasn't quite that good. I expected this to be some sort of epic double album, but I was incorrect. That's not to say that this isn't a solid effort from an all around good band. Fans of the Foos will like this album; others might like it. // 6

In Your Honor Reviewed by: Floyd93, on june 16, 2005

Sound: This is by far the most diverse Foo Fighters album ever. The songs on disc one remind me of The Colour And The Shape. The blend of heavy tracks and acoustic songs is perfect. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are great. The Foo Fighters have been improving lyric-wise ever since their first album. The songs have so much emotion put into the lyrics. Dave Grohl's vocals go with the songs perfectly. // 10

Overall Impression: This is by far my favorite Foo Fighters album. I just love how diverse it is. There is nothing I don't really like about it. Some of the album's most impressing songs are "Best Of You," "DOA," "The Last Song," "Resolve," "Free Me," "End Over End," "Still," "Miracle," and "Cold Day In The Sun." If this album was stolen from me, I'd definately go out and buy another copy. // 10

In Your Honor Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 17, 2005

Sound: Sound is what this album is all about. Taking the sound that the Foo Fighters have perfected over ten years and distilling them into two halves; aggressive and passive, removing all extraneous middle-ground material and showcasing the exact result of Dave's concept of defining the Foo Fighters and what they should be remembered for. The 'Loud' CD is a rolicking collection of eleven rock-out-with-your-cock-out classic Foo anthems with all the fat removed; pure fist-pumping, sweat-inducing power from start to finish. Every song is brilliant, which can feel strange as you think "when am I going to hear the first song I don't like?" Things get better as the second, "not so loud" CD proves to be every bit as enjoyable to listen to as the first. Just in a different way. The time and effort spent producing this album shows through in the gleaming quality of every song and the innovation of separating the rough from the smooth to get the perfect antidote to the hard rocking of the first half in the second. A perfect album for rocking out, then chilling out. // 10

Lyrics: Lyrically this album does not dissapoint, but the lyrics are secondary to the fantastic sound of each track. "It's a shame we have to die, my dear/no-one's getting out of here alive!" is sung with the optimistic and uplifting aproach of 'what-the-hell-ness'. The lyrics fit perfectly to each song as does Dave's guttural roaring and, later, toned down and chilled out purring. // 8

Overall Impression: This album is the defining moment of the Foo Fighter's career. Utterly impressive in every way, In Your Honour plays like a greatest hits. It's hard to pick any songs to mark as impressive as you are totally spoiled for choice, each time you try to work out which songs are best you think of the others and realise they are all of equally high standard. I know that sounds like bullshit but it really is true. In Your Honour is an album rare in the fact that I love every song on it. If it was lost or stolen I would happily buy it again and would waste no time in doing so. // 10

In Your Honor Reviewed by: guitar_hero05, on june 23, 2005

Sound: When you hear the word "Foo", what do you think of? Tofu? Bad food? Well I think of an amazing band that has dared to challenge the legends of rock. I'm talking about the Foo Fighters. With there newiest album, "In Your Honor," tearing up the charts already has been a cool breeze for the band. On there official website Dave Grohl (lead singer/guitar), is quoted by saying,"We want this album to be the best. 20 yrs. from now, when the next generation asks there parents which Foo Fighters album they should get, we want you the listeners to say In Your Honor. A lost of diffrent tactics were taken to create this record. They managed to get John Paul Jones (former bassist for Led Zepplien), to play a couple of instruments on diffrent tracks. Such intruments as: the piano, mandolin, and rumor has it a maraca. Norah Jones has helped with vocals on the song; Virgina Moon. Also the Foo's drummer has switched spots with Grohl on the song; Cold Day In The Sun. Genius. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics where somewhat disappointing on a few of the acoustic songs. One song inparticular was quite annoying to listen to; On The Mend. If your a hard core Foo fan, I must urge you to skip over this track. The singers skills are blissfully amazing. Much better than the the Probot Band that Dave Grohl put together with a Lenny as the lead singer. // 8

Overall Impression: This album is a must for and Foo fan. No doubt about it. I have purchased to copies of this amazing album. One for listening to, and one for a collector's item. The most impressive tacks that has been entertaining are the following: No Way Back, Best of You, DOA, Another Round, and End Over End. If this album was lost or stolen I would first cry and then hunt down the theif. // 8

In Your Honor Reviewed by: unregistered, on october 08, 2005

Sound: As for the sound of the album, it's great! I really don't know why more bands don't make albums where half of the album is soft and half is loud. If a person just wants to rock, the hard side is great! Perfect distortion & Taylor on the drums supplies an incredible force. Maybe you're feeling mellow one day, then the acoustic side is absolutely perfect! The sound on this side is just very calming, very soft, and quite unique for any rock band. Just listening to Razor, Grohl and Josh Homme, just dueling guitars over a very soft beautiful melody, its bloody brilliant! // 10

Lyrics: Lyrically Grohl is on a tare! You only have to listen to best of you to figure that out! But the rest of the songs prove to be worth your buck. I nearly flipped listening to In Your Honour for the 1st time. Doa is another wonderful track where Grohl aligns a good melody with perfect lyrics. The same goes for most songs on the rock side! As for the acoustic side, Grohl writes his most personal/volnerable lyrics of his career. With a stand out being Friend of a Friend. The song is just haunting, and suprisingly old, he wrote it when he 1st joined Nirvana and moved in with Kurt. Another Round is another stand out on this side, although its hard for me to say that any song on this side isn't one. I mean when you from Still a storytelling type song about a moment in Grohls life to a song like Miracle which just beautiful. The acoustic side earns this mark alone. The rock side is still awesome too. // 10

Overall Impression: At this point is probaly pretty obvious that this album is worth a ten in my eyes. I've listened to this cd, at least once a day sense I got it. If you're unsure about buying the album just listen to songs like In Your Honor, The Last Song, and Deepest Blues are Black and you'll be sold, for the rock side at least. I must admit all my favorties are on the acoustic side. Just listen to Another Round, Frend of a Friend, Virginia Moon (with Norah Jones, amasing), and Razor, I absolutely love it. // 10

In Your Honor Reviewed by: KerazyPhool, on december 07, 2005

Sound: As a regularly new Foo Fighters fan, the first Foos album I owned was In Your Honor. It impressed me very much so but ever since I have gone on to own all their albums, I find it lacking. I still find it a great album, the acoustic side uplifts me and the rock side brings out the crazy side in me and I am always ready to listen to it but certainley not the best Foo album. Taylor's drumming is fantastic on this album however and the overall typical sound of Foo Fighters remains. // 8

Lyrics: I always found Foo Fighters lyrics as nothing special being honest but with this album, I saw deeper than that. They interested me and I am sure they interested others. Dave's voice is unique and amazing and the lyrics almost fit with his voice. Good. // 8

Overall Impression: If anybody is interested in hearing Foo Fighters for the first time, I dont think I'd give them this. However much it is a good album, I dont think it can touch the older albums. The older, more raw Foo Fighters really did it for me and I'm sure with many other fans it did too. Not that this album should be unconsidered, it is good listening but it doesnt fit too much with older Foo Fighters and I think thats where the heart of the band lies. High point of the album: Taylor Hawkins doing outstandingly well, not only on the drumming of the album but vocals on Cold Day In The Sun are great. // 8

In Your Honor Reviewed by: rockmachine666, on november 24, 2006

Sound: The first Foo's song I learned was "Best of You", which is one of my all-time favorites today. I later got this album when I was returning an unopened Offspring CD to a store, and they told me I could swap it for another one. Then I saw it on the shelf, recognized it, and got it. I listened all the way through several times, and realized how much I loved it. There's some great variety of of style of the songs, so to speak. Like the calm but energetic verses, exciting bridges and crazy screaming choruses of Free Me, the catchy tone of No Way Back, and the distorted strumming of Resolve. Grohl rocks my socks. // 9

Lyrics: I think the lyrics are very original and creative, and nearly every line fits very well with the song it comes in. Most of the time you can totally understand what the song is about, like in the tracks In Your Honor, Best of You and The Last Song. Grohl is a musician of three instruments (well, technically, his voice is not an instrument) which I find impressive. His voice varies from the sweet vocals on Virginia Moon to the the hoarse screaming on, well, most of the other tracks. Lurics and singing: absolutely fantastic. // 9

Overall Impression: You could never compare Foo Fighters with any other band, by skill, sound or anything else. I don't mean to say that they are superior to all others in these categories, but are just like no other. Unique. I believe that nearly all bands have their own sound, so if you were familiar with a band, and someone plays a song by this band that you haven't heard before, you almost immediately know it's them. The Foo's have a great guitar sound, for example, that's sounds like a cross between clean and drive, as if it had the distortion, but also that "duhm" sound when you pick a string on clean. The impression, on both the hard rock and acoustic CD, is impressive, melodic, and unique, above all. I recommend that any guitar fan listen to one or two of the songs first. If you like them (which you almost certainly will) you will love the rest of the album. // 10

In Your Honor Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 13, 2005

Sound: Ok when I first put the CD in my CD player and it blasted out the intro of the first track "In Your Honor" I was a bit confused. In a good way because of the sound that sounded a little like old school rock n' roll. The rock CD was really good CD that's a bit harder than Foo's other stuff (which I like but this was awesome). The acoustic was amazing and I liked the guest track with Norah Jones (Virginia Moon). // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics were amazing on both CD's. On the rock he uses his screamy voice which really fits. On the acoustic he uses his "calm" ballady voice which is amazingly "comforting" to hear. And the lyrics themself are really great to. // 10

Overall Impression: Compared to the other Foo Fighters albums etc. This is better in some ways, little less in others. But I will give it a five because I really like the new sound of Foo. // 10

In Your Honor Reviewed by: SpanRah, on june 14, 2005

Sound: The rock disc sounded very like their earlier material, and although it lacked a stand out track, it was all respectable. The acoustic disc is of alot higher quality in my opinion, covering new ground and not just being a rehash of their old styles. The use of Norah Jones on Virginia Moon works well, and is one of the better tracks on there. // 8

Lyrics: Grohl manages to cover a wide range of material in his vocal range, having a voice that works on both the loud, and the not so loud disc. The lyrics content is suprisingly listenable, and doesnt just become background noise. // 10

Overall Impression: Although the rock disc has no stand out moments, being akin to There Is Nothing Left To Lose, it is still consistently good. Without the acoustic disc, I would rate this lower than One By One, or Colour And The Shape, however the inclusion of this disc means it is a respectable addition to the foo fighters catalogue. Tis no physical graffitti though! // 8

In Your Honor Reviewed by: murray_lindsay, on june 15, 2005

Sound: I was impressed with the quality of both albums. The rock side does have its heavy songs but the acoustic is great. They really expanded their sound and bringing in other guests for songs made it more epic. I hope people give it a listen because its a little different then you would expect but it has the same hooks that have made the Foo's a household name. // 8

Lyrics: Some of the songs have good lyrical content. The acoustic opener "Still" is a song about someone commiting suicide when Dave Grohl was 10. The current single "Best Of You" has a lot of emotion. The words blend in well with the music. It is typical Foo Fighters material - songs about relationships and being positive. There are a couple of darker songs like Free Me and DOA. // 8

Overall Impression: The rock side reminds me of The Color and The Shape and One By One rolled into one. The acoustic reminds me of some of the poppier songs off of There is Nothing Left to Lose. The Foo's have a knack for writing rock songs with melody. I put this on the top of their list because they expanded their sound and tinkered with it. I was pleasantly surprised with the acoustic side. I thought it wouldn't be up to par. I think it was worth the wait and shows the band is can go from one extreme to another. The standout tracks on the rock side are "The Last Song," "Resolve," "Free Me" and "In Your Honor." The acoustic is hidden gem. "Still," "Miracle" and "On the Mend" are the best ones off the acoustic. I would buy this CD again if it was lost or stolen. // 8

In Your Honor Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 15, 2005

Sound: What is with these freaking losers that download their f--king music? Stop complaining beacause it's copy-prtected. Does everybody in the world have iPods. I don't get it whats so hard about buying a CD for 12 bucks, popping it in your CD player or stereo and listening to it? This is total BS and the Foos don't deserve this when thay make a good record. People are basing their bad reviews on the CD because of the copy protection. What? I know theres got to be a way to download it else somewhere. I mean come on how about supporting a band for once. But nooo buy an iPod for 300 bucks, buy and download all the music you want for free. Don't give me that BS that you won't buy the album because you cant listen to it on your f--king iPod. People who don't want to buy the album because of that are not fans in the first place. Now on to the music. The Foos werent kidding when they said this album was gonna rock hard. The first disc blows you away with screams by Grohl and cool riffs and those trademark pounding drums. At first you will be suprised by the opening track In Your Honor. It starts off slow and gets into the main part of the song and stays at that pace until the drums kick in and Dave goes crazy. The song really dosent go anywhere but its good, but dont be dissapointed if you are because their are better tracks. I swear you will be totally suprised. Dave screams good and it puts energy throughout the whole disc 1. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics on both discs are some of the best Grohl has written. Good stuff and real inspiring. Dave's voice is better than ever and he screams suprisingly alot more on this album (the 1st disc that is). Than you would pretty much expect this but he turns down his voice and he sings softly and calmly for the 2nd disc. Almost soothing and very relaxing. The screamy tracks are In Your Honor, and Free Me. And dont take this the wrong way if you dont know the foos. This isn't death metal or screamo I'm just saying he puts energy into the music. // 10

Overall Impression: I just got this album but I think it is exceptional despite others reviews about the copy-protection that shouldn't matter. All that matters is the music. Both discs are good so I cant say which one is better yet because I only listened to it a few times. You can listen to it all the way through so dont worry all the tracks are good. The best tracks so far are No Way Back, Best Of You, DOA, The Last Song, Free Me, End Over End, Still, What If I Do?, Another Round, Over And Out, Virginia Moon and Razor. Absolutely buy it if your a fan of the foos or of rock. Forget the naysayers or Ipod download freaks this album is good. Keep it up Dave! Power to the Foo! // 10

In Your Honor Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 15, 2005

Sound: I thought that there new CD was amazing compared to others. It hit you hard right from the beginning and kept it up. Shanrah for a standout track try "Best Of You." The only thing I found annoying was putting most of the slow tracks together instead of mixing it up. Acoustic CD was amazing as well Virginia Moon was nice with Norah Jones backups. // 10

Lyrics: Dave Grohl's voice is very underrated he can rock you to sleep with a melodious lullaby or hit you hard untill you ears bleed. I thought that lyrics reflected on most people's lives and that the song "In Your Honor" was a nice tribute to the fans. Thrown with some comic mischeif with the song "Hell." // 10

Overall Impression: I'd say this is a must have for all rock lovers. It ranks extremely high on best albums ever. In the DVD that comes with the collectors edition. Dave says that he wants this album to be the one when your kids come up to you and say dad/mom have you heard of the Foo Fighters, what album should I get. He wants you to say "In Your Honor" and I think he's accomplished that and more. // 10

In Your Honor Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 15, 2005

Sound: The opening track is much different from their previous albums. The next few tracks give the feel of the 'loud' CD, there are a few tracks that reminded me of songs on the previous 'One By One' album. after listening to the CD the whole way through, it just kept gaining my approval, but then thinking the first two tracks were not up to scratch, I listened again and changed my mind, this is a quality CD. The 'not so loud' CD is pure brilliance! I do tend to listen to more acoustic stuff, but I love Dave's voice and Taylor's drumming (and obviously can't ignore Dave's drumming and the rest of the bands mass contribution). And this must be the greatest collection of music in my collection. There isn't on song on the 'not so loud' album that I would dare to press the skip button and I would find it hard to pick a favourtie song out of the CD. // 10

Lyrics: I haven't taken in every lyric from the 21 songs! But the tracks which I have taken in the lyrics, they are so powerful! So much feeling and passion is put into every word. The example lyric I would use would be from the title track; 'In Your Honour' - the power and feeling in to the lyrics, 'In your honour I would die tonight', are just fantastic! The Foo Fighters' lyrics have really improved on every album, and this album is no exception. The way Dave uses so many tones within one singing type is amazing, he really does use his deep, husky voice to the best of his ability! // 10

Overall Impression: This is one of my most valuable albums in my collection already after owning it for two days, there is no way that I would let this album leave my CD player for a good month or so to come. I would recomend this album to anyone who purely likes pure music, even if you don't like one CD you'll like the other one, no dennying that! I mainly bought this album because of the Foo Fighters' back-catalogue and the great single 'Best Of You' of which is my favorite track from the whole album, although 'Resolve' and 'Deepest Blues Are Black' are also topping my favourites. Not forgetting the sheer quality of the mixing, although 'Best Of You' sounds as if it is quite quiet to the rest of the album, so that's where I turn it up either that or I'm playing the first two tracks too low on the volume. The 'not so loud' CD is just brilliant and could have done just as well to impress me by itself. But the commitment and brilliance Foo Foghters have shown in making 21 quality tracks and the idea of making two separate albums just finally clinches the Foo Fighters place in rock stardom. Well done to the Foo Fighters! // 10

In Your Honor Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 15, 2005

Sound: This album is really great. So far I've listened to every song or at least every songs intros and from what I've heard they are really great. But the thing that holds it all together is the amazing acoustic songs. Razor and Friend Of A Friend are just two of the songs that sound amazing. Obviously everything on this album sounds great cause it was produced and created now in a powerful studio. I think that the acoustic stuff sounds amazing. // 10

Lyrics: These lyrics are really amazing. I've never been the biggest fan of Foo Fighters. But my favorite band is Nirvana and I love the song Marigold so I figured I should finally get into Foo. The lyrics on this album are very good and some of them are pretty deep. I think Grohl is a really magnificient writer. // 10

Overall Impression: This is probably my favorite album released in the past year or so, beside the Nirvana box set. I really do enjoy this double album and I think in 20 years this will definitely be the cd of the Foo Fighters that I tell the kids to go buy like Dave Grohl said he wants it to be, unless they release an even better album in the future. Some of my favorite songs so far, and I've only listened a day are Razor, Friend Of A Friend, and DOA. // 10

In Your Honor Reviewed by: punk0mi, on june 15, 2005

Sound: Foo Fighters has to be one of the greatest bands of the late '90s up to now. The sound from all the albums have been very consistant, probably one of the reasons why I like them so much. The sound is really typical "Foo," catchy technical riffs with some grunge. Dave has an ultimate voice that works on both the louder (rock disc) and softer (acoustic disc) songs. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are good. Ther eare some meaning to alot of them. Songs like "What If I Do," is all about Dave's experiences on the Carolina coast. Dave has an ultimate voice that works on both the louder (rock disc) and softer (acoustic disc) songs. The vocal recordings are just right, not over powering and not drowned out by the music. // 10

Overall Impression: Foo Fighters are a brand unique to only themselves. "No Way Back" is probably one of the most impressive songs to me on the rock side. I think the mix of Ms. Jones and Mr. Grohl is a great mix on the acoustic side. I love Foo - hopefully we have alot more to hear from them in the years to come. // 10

In Your Honor Reviewed by: Boot, on june 15, 2005

Sound: The amount of work done over the last year making this double album has paid off. The band have the same producer from "One By One" (2002) but it sounds completely different and much better. A good thing about it is the drum sound, they sound really tight and the bass keeps the flow going so that the guitars can expand more in the rock disc and take controll in the acoustic disc. Very good! // 10

Lyrics: Lyrics have never been a strong point for the "Foo's" but this album totally rocks on both CD's the standout track for songwritting for me is "Still" which is about a train accident apparently. You can tell Dave really made use of his time for this album. // 10

Overall Impression: Overall this is deffiantly the best album of 2005 and of the Foo's carrer, the 5 stand out tracks are Still (acoustic), Resolve (rock), Over And Out (acoustic), No Way Back (rock), End Over End (rock). But overall, I must admit, I like the acoustic CD better, although they both in there own way, rock! // 10

In Your Honor Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 15, 2005

Sound: On first impression this CD sounds quite like every other Foo Fighters CD, it is only when you really get to grips with it and listen intently when you start to realise this is the best CD of the Foo's illustrious career. The rock CD although on first listen through has no stand out tracks the title track 'In Your Honour' is the heaviest thing they have ever accomplished and the single 'Best Of You' is up there with 'Learn To fly' or 'Breakout'. The acoustic CD is a very beautiful thing indeed, a blend of gentle guitar and heartfelt vocal performances given by Dave Grohl, the stand out track on this side is definentley 'Virginia Moon', Norah Jones makes a perfect foil for Dave Grohl's more gravely tones. // 10

Lyrics: As soon as you switch the play button on your CD player you can tell these are some of the most heartfelt and deep lyrics that Grohl has ever written, be it about his friends in Nirvana on 'Friend Of A Friend' or about a witnessed suicide on 'Miracle', you can tell he has worked hard and polished his songwriting skills. // 10

Overall Impression: This is a Foo's album of the very highest quality and it makes a refreshing change for Grohl to let Taylor Hawkins take over on 'Cold Day In The Sun', which he does superbly. This is one for every Foo fan out there it is a must have for the collection. // 10

In Your Honor Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 15, 2005

Sound: When I bought this I thought it was gonna be jus another album, and I was truly amazed. It was like nothing else, the first track, In Your Honor really showed the power of the album, and the rest was just as good. The sound on the acoustic side is like nothing the Foos have ever done, it is breath taking, this CD makes the album complete. It adds that extra wow factor to the album. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are really thought about and with daves vioce he makes them even better, he uses the scream in places which make it sound really good, also the lyrics fit with the sound of the album, and they are clear not like some albums were they are in the background, here dave really projects the lyrics. // 10

Overall Impression: In my opinion it could be one of the best albums the foos have done, it may not have the big stand out songs, like one by one but the whole album is fantastic, you can't just like a couple of songs of it, the acoustic side brings another sound to the Foo Fighters which definatly makes it worth buying and one of the best and most creative albums they've ever done. In one word "fantastic." // 10

In Your Honor Reviewed by: dalla, on june 15, 2005

Sound: Without doubt the best sound yet. How can you go wrong with 10 hard-rock tracks (traditional Foo Fighters sound), and 10 'chillout' acoustic tracks. The sound is perfect. It's easy to notice a few of the traditional FF techniques, and Dave Grohl's voice is in better shape than ever. Some of the tracks (most noted are 'In Your Honor' and 'The Last Song') have sections where Grohl is screaming at the top of his voice, yet the sound is just superb. The acoustic tracks are pretty mellowed out and calm, but also sound cool. The drums aren't overused, or too loud, and Dave doesn't misuse his voice using a nice, calm tone throughout most of the acoustic tracks. Excellent sound. // 10

Lyrics: What is good about this album is that the lyrics are somewhat similar to previous albums. Every single track is mixed in so well (lyrics to music). Aggressive lyrics are combined with heavy heavy guitaring, though the first 10 tracks are all hard rock, some has a sense of uplifting, some aggressive, and some pure rock tone. The lyrics haven't changed so much compared to previous albums, which, in my opinion is a good thing. I've always been a big fan of the Foo's lyrics, and this album is no exception. // 10

Overall Impression: I'm going to get a lot of wear out of this album. It'll be playing in my CD player, on my computer, on my iPod, and in my car until it scratches so much that the songs cannot be recognised. Most impressive songs would have to be 'In Your Honor', 'Best of You', 'Hell', 'DOA', 'The Last Song', 'Free Me' (from the 'rock' set), and to be honest, I loved all of the acoustic tracks, they were just unbelievably relaxing and cool to listen to. Is this worth buying? I'd mortgage my house to have my hands on this album. It's one of the best albums I have now. I don't have a single criticism, I'd be lying if I said I had anything bad to say about this album. Pure genius! // 10

In Your Honor Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 16, 2005

Sound: To me it seemed that each new album of Foo Fighter's was growing more and more modern/alt rock style, and then In Your Honor comes out. Wow, this album is really amazing, and it's a good thing too because it was one of the most anticipated releases for this summer. I can't quite give it a 5 but if 4.9 were an option it'd get that! // 8

Lyrics: Dave is an amazing lyrical genius. His material is always fresh and heart felt. His singing is also very to the point. A unique style of singing when he changes the loudness or softness of his voice to really make you feel. The rock album had his usual powerfullness while the acoustic was a soft flowing stream of lyrical power. // 10

Overall Impression: Of the 5 Foo Fighter's albums this is by far my favorite. A re-introduction to the more old school style of rock along with a complete acoustic CD for something to slow down to. There are to many good songs to name off, so I wont even try. Once again this is about as close to perfection as you can get, and if there was a 4.9 option I'd give it that, but since there isn't, 5! // 10

In Your Honor Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 16, 2005

Sound: Another example of why Dave Grohl is one of the best musicians out there. There are only a few that can write music from the perspective of all the instruments. I have been a diehard Foo Fan since the beginning. Ironically, I wasn't a big Nirvana fan. I love the way Grohl writes smooth melodies over face melting guitar riffs. I love it and can't get enough Foo! // 10

Lyrics: Dave Grohl will kick your ass with his vocals. I agree that he has great range that can seduce you one moment and rip your head off the next. He does all of this by painting a picture through sharp melodies. Brilliant. // 10

Overall Impression: I have to admit, on the first few listens, I wasn't blown away like I was with The Colour And The Shape or One By One but this is an album that is full of such explosiveness that you cannot take everything in with just a couple listens. Not that this is a "Grow On You" album but it's so mind blowing that it's numbing. // 10

In Your Honor Reviewed by: smb, on july 06, 2005

Sound: Disc 1 - pretty similar throughout the songs. Medium distortion, pounding drums but nothing exceptional or excessive. It's good hard rock, but fairly bland especially in comparison to, say, Queens Of The Stone Age's Songs For The Deaf. At times it even felt formulaic. Disc 2 - a real surprise as every song is different to the last (is that too much to expect on a record nowadays?) with a really good sound to the instruments. Having guest instrumentalists as good as John Paul Jones and Josh Homme can only be a good thing. // 8

Lyrics: There's some stuff good to sing along to on the first disc (read "obvious singles") but otherwise it left me cold. The Last Song in particular started to get on my nerves pretty quick. Dave Grohl decided actually singing was too much effort on this disc, saving anything particularly good for the second disc. His singing is really good when you decide you've had enough of the second rate material that is the first half of this double album. Disc two won't get annoying or bore you to tears, despite the subject matter lacking feeling. // 6

Overall Impression: As you can probably tell, I was disappointed with the first disc of this album. It felt bland, heartless and never really hit the spot. I certainly can't imagine this growing on me in the way Mer De Noms (A Perfect Circle) did for example, and it's not the thunderous monolith of heavy rock Songs For The Deaf was. I could easily live without this. Disc two, on the other hand, really impressed me. It felt to me like the band wanted to do an accoustic album but thought it would only be released with some traditional Foo's stuff there as well, so slapped that stuff in to put it out. In my book, disc 2 gets 5/5. Unfortunately with the first disc this is dropped to a mere 3. // 6

In Your Honor Reviewed by: unregistered, on july 29, 2005

Sound: First off, there are 2 CDs to this record, rock and acoustic. The rock record just seems like its going to blow your head up with the sound its going to deliver with the intro/title track "In Your Honor" but you soon realize its merely but a another rock record. Definately below par of the Foo Fighters previous works. With the exception of a couple tracks (In Your Honor, Best Of You, The Last Song), you get bored of the rock CD fairly quickly, at least I did. The acoustic record on the other hand, is fairly good for an acoustic CD and definately filled my expectations of what the Foo Fighters would throw together and call acoustic. With Dave's voice and the sometimes simplistic guitars, this acoustic record meshes together perfectly. Stand out tracks in my mind are What If I Do, Miracle, Friend Of A Friend and Over And Out. Personally, over and out is the best song on the record and well worth a listen. // 6

Lyrics: The lyrics on this record are not amazingly poetic or moving at all but as soon as you hear Dave's voice singing those lyrics your whole opnion changes. This man can sing whether it be screaming for the rock, or soft for the acoustic, mediocre lyrics, outstanding vocals. // 8

Overall Impression: In my opinion, total let down on the rock record, their old stuff is way better than this. Outstanding (2) songs from each record have to be: Rock - Best Of You, The Last Song, Acoustic - "Over And Out" and 2nd best is a tie between "Miracle" and "Friend Of A Friend." All together, one of the weaker Foo albums but in retrospect of buying this album, I would spend the $20 I bought this album with just for the acoustic record. This record gets old fast and you can't help but skipping through the songs after 2-3 times of listening to them. Very mediocre record. // 6

In Your Honor Reviewed by: unregistered, on august 01, 2005

Sound: First off, I'd like to say that the double-disc "In Your Honor," (one rock album, one acoustic album consisting of 10 songs each), should be considered least likely to succeed in these next few years. The sound was of the best recording quality I have heard. However, it wasn't creative enough to award it a good in creativity of riffs and beats. I also disagree that "Best Of You" and "The Last Song" were the best songs on the rock album. Personally, my favorites were "The Deepest Blues Are Black" and "End Over End." My favorites on the acoustic album were "What If I Do?" and "Miracle." These songs were the most true to what the Foo Fighters and Dave are capable of, which are catchy riffs mixed with the ever-classic run through a soft beginning then get louder where necessary. Sadly, this album doesn't compare to "The Colour And The Shape." // 6

Lyrics: The lyrics were the most repetitive I have ever heard Grohl write. It's horribly obvious he's past his prime but he still gets props for creating excellent lyrics. Repetitiveness is their downfall. Dave Grohl sounds better than ever on this CD than in previous sessions. I'll just leave it at that. Overall, the lyrics are easily the best ever although the songs just repeat the same good stuff to make it sour. // 8

Overall Impression: It can barely be compared to "The Colour And The Shape" but is still worth my bargain shopping. Considering I got the CD the first day it came out. But now I am disappointed because the local Newbury Comics just closed so Wal-Mart looks even worse (it'll never look better, trust me). I might not be buying any CDs soon. Other than my misfortunes, my favorite CD from this year is Weezer's "Make Believe." This CD is quite superior to "In Your Honor." I love that it's a new Foo Fighters CD, I also hate that it's a Foo Fighters CD. Love it 'cause its something nice to listen to, but hate it because it's not the best Grohl could have thought up. If it were stolen, I'd just dowload the tracks instead of buying a new one. It wasn't quite worth it. // 6

In Your Honor Reviewed by: unregistered, on august 22, 2005

Sound: A couple months back, I heard "Best Of You" on the radio. I liked it, not too much, but enough for me to check out some more songs. After checking them out, I rushed to the store to get myself a copy. Disc 1: Electric (Rock). The sound differs in a lot of the songs, which is a good thing. You don't get much of music's worse enemy, repetitiveness. "In Your Honor" and "Free Me" are really screamy, loud tracks, which doesn't appeal to me but a lot of other people seem to enjoy. Other songs, like "DOA," "End over End," "Hell" and "No Way Back" Have some very catchy tunes to them, and "DOA" is nice and fast paced. "Resolve," "The Last Song" and "The Deepest Blues Are Black" are heavy songs, not necessarily slow, but just heavy in emotion and tune. Disc 2: Acoustic. Again, the tracks on this CD differ alot, giving you lots of sound choices, for whatever kind of music you want to hear. It's slower than disk one, but understandably, it is an acoustic CD anyways. Nice additions with John Paul Jones playing certain inastruments, Norah Jones helping sing in "Virginia Moon," and especially Taylor Hawkins switching to vocals in "Cold Day In The Sun." Almost all the songs on this disk are great, unexpectedly, my parents liked it too. // 10

Lyrics: Though the lyrics are sometimes on the same general topic, they fluidly move through the songs, and doesn't seem to repititive. Dave Grohl did an excellent job singing, I see now how well his voice can carry a tune, and how well he can shout around with the rock tracks. Lyricswise, it was great, but not enough for a 5. // 8

Overall Impression: My favourite tracks: Disk 1 - DOA, No Way Back, End Over End; Disk 2 - Cold Day In The Sun, Over And Out, Another Round. The band sounds alot different than Nirvana, in a definitly good way too! If this were stolen or lost, I wound definitly buy again, along with the Color And The Shape (the next disk on my list). // 10

In Your Honor Reviewed by: Pocket, on september 24, 2005

Sound: Ok, I am sure that even if you have not heard the album, you will have heard of how it is split. The first CD is suppoesed to be some of the dirtiest, hardest songs by the foos, while the second totally contrasts being mainly an acoustic album by Foos standards. The sound produced on the first cd is signature Foos. I would best describe it as crunchy and fuzzed up! The second CD is really crisp, clean with some beautiful harmonies, a real break away from the standard foo fighters sound. // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics are well written for the most part, the only real complaint is on 'Friend Of A Friend', the lyrics reapeat, and to be honest, I get quite bored listening to it. This is from the acoustic CD. But mostly, the songs are sweet as you could want, my particualr favourites being miracle and cold day in the sun, both from the acoustic disc! Dave Grohl really proves how dynamic a singer he is. From really raunchy, and hard voiced, to some really smooth sounds in the acoustic disc! // 9

Overall Impression: I have to say that I was disappointed listening to the first disc. I feel that there are some good songs on the CD, but it does not compare to one by one or the colour and the shape. However, listening to the acoustic disc, it is absolutely amazing. The style is fresh, the melodies sweet and it just somehow works. In my opinion, Grohl was just dieing to make an acoustic album, but could not bear to release it without the classic foos style as seen on the first disc. And in all honestly, it would have been smarter to focus on just an acoustic album, but well done for this one! // 8

In Your Honor Reviewed by: unregistered, on october 31, 2005

Sound: In Your Honor by the Foo Fighters is a high energy, sometimes rageful set of songs. Songs such as "The Last Song" are the rageful part. The album stays high energy from the first song to the last. This 2 disc set is worth the money. Among the album's singles are "DOA" and "Best Of You," but if you're really looking for some great music, the rest of the album holds many surprises. The Foo Fighters show that they really are a band instead of what people believe to be some training wheels for Dave Grohl's musical genius. // 9

Lyrics: Dave Grohl has always been a good lyricist. Nothing too emotional yet the lyrics aren't so ridden with metaphors that you ponder them all day. Grohl basically sings with screams the whole album but in this case it sounds amazing. The lyrics go with the lyrics like baseball goes with America. That's something you never have to worry about Dave Grohl. It seems he stole some of Kurt Cobain's tricks when he wasn't looking. The high energy and rageful lyrics can attract fans from any genre whether you're a mourning emo fan or a pissed off punk. // 10

Overall Impression: In Your Honor is definately one of the best albums of the year. Songs like "The Last Song," "DOA," and "Best Of You" offer a great CD to trash about your room to. Being the 2nd best Foo Fighter album ever (behind "The Color And The Shape") is not an easy feat seeing as they bring great music year after year since their debut album in 1995. I'd buy a 100 copies of this album just in case I lost a few. There's nothing bad about this album. However, if you're looking for something to enjoy a glass of wine to in the library, you won't find it here. But to all those who want something that'll get their rage out, buy this album. // 9

In Your Honor Reviewed by: Oli B, on december 12, 2005

Sound: This is powerful stuff. The band have really outdone themselves. It is one amazing album. The sound of the band is mind blowing, but In your Honour brings them up to a new level. Despite the band creating an awsome feel to the tracks, Grohl really has outdone himself on this double disc album. Without grohls powerful Vocal abilty the band would not be nearly as well esablished in the music industy as they are currently. In Your Honor shows the bands more melodic and gentle side on the second disc of the album. This features guest accompaniments, including Norah Jones and Josh Homme. // 7

Lyrics: The albums lyrics are incredibly powerful. Grohl has really made the most of writing lyrics and fitting them to the music. He has used the most of his creative brain to create amazingly structured lyrics. // 7

Overall Impression: This album is the one that you will ask for for christmas or your birthday, if you appreciate good quality music. This is the one CD of the year that you will appreciate the most, and this will be the one that will blow the speakers out on your stereo because you will want to play it out loud and share it with the world. I would make sure that I didnt lose it, but if I did I would definately buy it again. // 7

In Your Honor Reviewed by: unregistered, on december 13, 2005

Sound: Without a doubt the best produced foo fighters album, it sounds crisp and clean. They have managed to make the album sound great without the use of too many studio effects and tweeks. Brilliant! // 10

Lyrics: Dave Grohl's voice is at its best. More raw and brutal than ever for the heavy side, and beautifully melodic on the acoustic side, he has proved to us all that he has a wide range of vocal talent. Lyrics are generally good throughout, stand out tracks being DOA, No Way Back, over and Out And Still. Best scream: Free me all the way! // 10

Overall Impression: This album comes a close second to Color and the shape, which is no doubt thier best. In terms of sound they have blended all of thier previous albums together, with touches from every album. The rawness of Color and the shape and Foo fighters, with the melodies from There is nothing left to lose and one by one. The stand out tracks on the album are No way back, DOA, Free me, Still, Over and out and razor. But that is not to say that the other songs aren't good. I find it hard to find fault in this album. There isn't a bad word I can think of. I'm glad that the Foos have started to mellow as well as keep thier rock roots. I would most definately buy the album again if it were to be lost or stolen. // 10

In Your Honor Reviewed by: RENEGADE8, on december 13, 2005

Sound: As a double album, In Your Honor comes with one rock disc and one acoustic disc. The rock disc opens with an epic distorted guitar, a screaming vocal performance and pounding drums of "In Your Honor" (title track). It would seem that from here Foo Fighters could create something truly epic and and on a higher level than their previous albums. Instead, the album fails to create this. By the second track ("No Way Back") we see that it is the same Foo Fighters music that we have come to recognise and enjoy(the main riff is incredibly similar to the "Times Like These" riff), and while this is a good thing in that it is good enough for a 6.5/10 rating, it does nothing to show that the band has evolved and created an album for the ages, as was promoted. The album progresses to the first single, Best Of You, which clearly is in desperate need of a lower sound in the guitars: it feels as if both guitars are playing 2 octaves higher than they should be, which leaves the track sounding a little hollow. This could have been saved by proper drums on the track, which instead go too hard far too early: by the first chorus we hear Taylor hitting the crash, snare and kick on every beat, which leaves him nowhere to expand on later in the song, and the listener is exhausted by the end of the first chorus. The vocals do the same, screaming from the first second of the track. The track sounds as if the band has taken the "hardest rock we've ever done" perception the wrong way, and decided to make the song continually hard-hitting, without any dynamic or progression. After this, the second single, "DOA," proves to be a good, well written song with a decent main riff and a great riff in the bridge. "Hell" has an excellent riff and does not falter by becoming a commercial 4-minute song, instead thundering through a well written structure and finishing in under 2 minutes. "The Last Song" is a major letdown and is a song that easily could have been left out from the album, along with others, to simply create a great 11-track album. The riff used at the end of the track is cunningly similar to the riff near the end of "Breakout". After this track comes the one of the better songs on the album: "Free Me". This features an alternate timing to the regular 4/4 timing of so many of their others, and includes a very heavy rock riff. From here, the remaining 3 tracks ("Resolve", "The Deepest Blues Are Black" and "End Over End") are dissapointing and simply boring songs which offer nothing thrilling, and if it had not had been from the distortion on the guitars and style of drumming, could all have been on the acoustic album. They fall into the category of "songs that could have been left off the album" along with "The Last Song" as mentioned before. As for the acoustic album, it does have it's highs ("Razor", with it's fantastic fast guitar work) and lows, but is a little too simple at times, and they could take a look at songs like Radiohead's "Street Spirit" to see how to make some truly great acoustic music. Overall, the sound is good, but as mentioned before, it not an album to be remembered. The most impressive tracks are: "In Your Honor", "D. O. A", "Hell", "Free Me", and "Razor." // 6

Lyrics: The lyrics are good, but not great. They fit well with the music and have good melodies, but at times Dave Grohl's screaming sounds like it is straining, and at other times his screaming seems inappropriate for the lyrics and the moment in the song, which can get quite annoying. // 6

Overall Impression: Overall, the album is decent, worth the money if you are a Foo Fighters fan, but not worth a risk if you haven't heard their earlier work. Myself, I wouldn't buy it again if it were lost or stolen. It is simply an album with about 11 great songs on it that could have been put onto one disc, which would have made a truly incredible album (which is what most of the greatest albums are anyway). Instead, they decided to put the B-side s ongs on there as well, call it a double album, and promote it as an epic and revolutionary album. Not the best idea but maybe they will learn from it. It does not compare to any great albums by any means, but is still a decent addition to the Foo Fighters collection. // 6

In Your Honor Reviewed by: unregistered, on october 03, 2007

Sound: When the Foo Fighters (or simply Dave Grohl if you want to get technical) released their self titled debut album in the summer of 1995, Dave Grohl, the bands frontman, mustn't have had the faintest idea they'd even be around 12 years later, let alone becoming one of rock and music's most influential bands. Despite constant line-up changes and having controversy thrown in their way, the Foo's have not only sustained their lasting power, but have constantly evolved over each record, not staying on the same train of thought but still managing to keep their main fanbase loving them. That is the one thing any band on this earth dreams of. From the radio-hugging, quality songwriting of 'The Colour and the Shape' to the generally lacklustre 'One by One', the Foo Fighters are a seemingly invincible force in the rock world. So enter 2007. They're fresh off the back of touring stadiums for the 'rock' disk of 'In your Honor', their 2005 platinum selling fifth album, and of course the famous mini-tour on the back of the 'acoustic' disk of the aforementioned fifth album. They're in a position where they don't have to prove anything to anybody. Nobody doubts them, they still have all their adoring fans, and being a multi-million selling mainstream rock band is no hardship in the slightest. Why havn't they just quit while they're ahead? Simple. Dave Grohl, considered the symbol of all that is Foo Fighters by most, is no quitter. With their sixth record, 'Echoes, Silence, Patience & Grace', the Foo's have done it again. They've branched to otherwise unexplored areas of music, but still kept it recognisably FF. Their trademark sound is still here ('The Pretender', 'Long Road to Ruin', 'Cheer up Boys (Your make-up is running)', 'Erase/Replace', 'But, Honestly'), but they have well truly evolved with this album, experimenting with Jeff Buckley inspired balladry ('Stranger Things have Happened', 'Home') and even bluegrass ('Ballad of the Beaconsfield Miners'). 'The Pretender', the albums lead single, screams with energy. It's epic, it's catchy and it boasts quite possibly Grohl's best vocal performance to date. 'Let it Die' brings down the energy that 'The Pretender' left us with, but it's all in good reason, as this song has to be one of their finest works for quite some time. it's main riff when it finally kicks in will leave you breathless. There is something for everybody here, at least for rock listeners anyway. There's the slower and more epic stuff ('Let it Die', 'Come Alive'), there's subtle country influence ('Summers End') and even '70s influence, ala Baker Street ('Statues'). Whereas working with Gil Norton again didn't produce the 'Colour And The Shape' surpassing fans had hoped for, it's produced something far more fresher and exciting. It's a new Foo Fighters. // 9

Lyrics: As for lyrics, Grohl's lyrical genius is still on show. He's political, he's optimistic, he's exactly what we've come to expect. A f--king genius. He is the one of, if not THE most original lyricists in the world today. It tackles everything Dave Grohl is known and praised for. Love, hurt, depression, happiness. Emotion for emotions as I like to call it. He's still the mastermind of melody, and despite the amount of cigarettes he smokes, he can still belt out an incredible vocal work better than ever before. // 10

Overall Impression: On first glance, this record was a disappointment. It seemed inconsistent, boring. But from the second listen, I was hooked. This album is no 'Colour And The Shape' by any standards but it's without a doubt their best album since their 1997 magnum opus. From the pulse-racing dynamics of 'The Pretender' right the way down to settling moodswings of 'Home', this is the Foo Fighters that I have well and truly missed. In an age were rock music currently clogging up the charts is either over ambitious or completely unimaginative, the Foo Fighters are the new concrete slab that fills the gap in the bridge. Here's to hoping they may just bless us again. // 9

In Your Honor Reviewed by: BurnzyRock, on december 26, 2008

Sound: The first disc has a good tenpo, fast-paced sound to it. With good songs such as best of you and resolve, it is overall amazing. The second disc-WOW. Here, dave grohl releases his inner self with amazing songs with amazing sound. Miracle, what if I do, and over and out are the three most amazing songs on it. That's not to say that the other songs aren't good. It's truly the perfect harmony of fast and slow, heavy and soft, and of guitar and voice. // 10

Lyrics: Here, dave can easily determine what to sing, and when. the lyrics make sense, and have a deep meaning. best of you- here, dave sings like he never has before. loud, long, and hard. he really forces it, and that is what makes a good singer. The singing goes perfectly with the guitar, and he can also make the listener believe what he believes. Although, at times, he can get the song up it; s own ass with meaning, and that can make it annoying, at times. // 8

Overall Impression: Yes, it can get sappy, and even fruity, but it makes up for it with simple yet effective riffs. So, I think this album is one of the best ever, after Led Zeppelin IV, Nevermind (nirvana, another Dave Grohl project) and The Jime Hendrix "Are You Experienced?" album. Bravo, Dave Grohl. Bravo! // 9

More Foo Fighters reviews rating latest review