One By One Review

8.5
 8.1
 8.8
One By One Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 10, 2005

Sound: One by One is a great album. Foo fighters really are the band of the '90s and now, as 1999s fantastic There Is Nothing Left To Lose proved. This album, which I bought 3 years after it came out, is as good as TINLTL. The sound is great, and the style off riffs they write are totally unique and you know it's them. The drums are pounding and clear, the bass great as usual, and the guitar weird and wonerful. Top-notch stuff. // 10

Lyrics: Dave Grohl's lyrics have come a long way and they continue to get better. For sheer brilliance, look at One By One, but songs like Halo, Times like these, and Disenchanted Lullaby still have great lyrics; "I'm a 1 way motorway..." His "shouty" bits are great as well, because he shouts in tune! Dave Grohl is a legend in the making, and his lyrics support this. // 10

Overall Impression: This album is amazing, and I would recommend it to anyone who has a mild interest in rock, pop, or grunge since this record has elements of all 3. Best songs are All My Life, Times Like These, Low, Have It All, Disenchanted Lullaby. If this album was lost, I'd say fair play to the theif for choosing such a good album. Then I'd hunt him down. // 10

One By One Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 02, 2004

Sound: I'm the biggest Foo Fighter fan, But one of the main reasons I like their music is because of their playing. The sound on this CD is sweet, but I have to admit the songs sort have less flare as the CD go's on, I mean 1-4 were great, 5-8 is ok, 9-10 not the best, track 11 is pretty deep though. But thats just my opinion. // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics of this CD is great, Everything has pretty good lyrics, especially Come Back (track 11) and All My Life (track 1). Everything has pretty average lyrics, like I said before I mostly like the sound of foo fighters. // 8

Overall Impression: If you really love Foo Fighters then I encourage you to get this, It defenitly meets the expectations of a good album. Even if your partly a foo fighter fan, I encourage you to get it. Its a good album. // 8

One By One Reviewed by: unregistered, on january 08, 2004

Sound: After "There is nothing left to lose", Dave Grohl decided to write some songs more suitable for live performances, and "One by One" lived up to his promise. The hard rock "All my Life" leads of the album, and it also features the melodic "Low" and the inspiring "Times like these". The sound is good, and they used a few audio effects to enhance the album. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics on the album match up well with the hard rock music and melodies. Although earlier albums had more meaningful and deep lyrics, this album does fine. Dave Grohl excels at singing, just another one of his many musical talents. // 8

Overall Impression: One by One is by far the most kick-ass foo fighters album yet, especially songs such as "times like these" and "low". The screaming was one thing that impressed me the most, and it just shows dave grohl's talent once again as a musician. If lost or stolen, I would definitely by this album again, and I would suggest it to any rock fan. // 10

One By One Reviewed by: unregistered, on february 03, 2006

Sound: The evolution of the Foo Fighters sound has, over time, been a thing of brilliance; radio-friendly grunge merging into mainstream pop-rock and then forward into slow-burning radio rock - it's been a certain legacy. However this, their fourth studio record, might just top all that. A great blend of heavey, melodic and epic, it offers something for every alternate rock fan. They dont come a lot more enegetic and in your face than first single and opening track "All My Life," a chugging burst of enegy held together by the power of one almighty power-chord. "Time Likes These" may just be the finest Foo's melody ever written - a breezy backdrop of strummed guitars holding it all together and frankly, within the first forgetting why you contemplated spening the dough. Elsewhere, "Disenchanted Lullaby" offers a dreamy melodic canvas which could give "Aurora" a run for it's money, "Low" brings a whole new dark and brooding scope to the Foo's soundtrack and closer "Come Back" fuses great riff and simple chorus and maximises it as epic as possible. A stunning finale. // 9

Lyrics: Dave Grohl again further cements his reputation as one of the very best rock melody writers in the business. "All My Life" and "Times Like These" cement this high level of skill, however it's Dave utilisation of the simplest melody which is the greatest skill. Top stuff. // 9

Overall Impression: With each release, the Foo Fighters keep bringing more to the table. Better songwriting, a greater variation, deeper and more personal lyrics. Whilst there may be not as many "legendery tracks" as on "The Colour And The Shape" and "There Is Nothing Left To Lose" the album as a whole is very cohesive and there is no room for error. Some may neglect it because of its mature approach and lack of out and out mainstream belters (breakout), but I'd certainly add it to the Foo's collection. // 9

One By One Reviewed by: UG Team, on july 24, 2003

Overall Impression: Finally the Foos comeback with the follow up to 1999's "There is Nothing left to lose" and lay "One by One" on the table. There was talks of a break up with the band when Grohl went to play drums with QOTSA, and the fourth studio album was looking in doubt. But this was just a rumour as the foos are stil together strong as ever, and sounding as good as ever. The album opens with the superb All my Life, a great big chunk of pure rock music the way it should be, next comes Low a weird, dark and clostraphocic sound with calm vocals and apowerful guitar and drums, this is then followed by Have it all, which has a catchy chorus and riff where nobody could refuse to smile. Next up on the agenda is the fantastically written Times like these, an emotional song which is straight to the point. Disenchated Lullaby follows and is a powerful song with a great grunge chorus ("I may be scattered, a little shattered, what does it matter, no one has a fit like i do") its a great song. Now its time for possibly one of the greatest songs to come from the Foo Fighters, Tired of you with the help of guitarist legend Brian May this song is slow and the vocals are quite haunting, truly footastic.Now for Halo, great song, great lyrics, what else can i say. Next up is probably the weakest song from one by one but by no means is it a bad one, overdrive a pop punk tune which is very catchy and cute. Next is another beautiful song and another of Grohls greatest, Burn Away. And finally the album is finished off with the epic Comeback playing for almost 8 minutes a fantastic song which finished off a fantastic album. One by one is evidence of the foo fighters growing as a band and the arent stopping any time soon. Definetly buy this album I can garuntee you will not be disapointed. // 10

One By One Reviewed by: Neptune, on july 24, 2003

Overall Impression: This Is The Foo Fighter's Fourth Album, And They Still Got It. It Delivers Some Great, Up Beat Tracks Like All My Life And Halo, And Also Delivers Some Slower, Calmer Tracks Like Tired Of You. But, There Is A Downside. It Does Seem A Bit Similar To Their Past Albums. I Ain't Got Any Of Them, I Just Heard Them, So It's Good For Me, But If You Already Got The Recent Albums, You Might Be Put Off By This. Still, A Great Album, Though. // 8

One By One Reviewed by: UG Team, on july 24, 2003

Overall Impression: Over the past few weeks I've been reading some mixed reviews about this album. NME calls it the Foo's best release to date, while Kerrang! gave it 2 out of 5. When I listened to the album I was very pleased yet very suprised. It's a brilliant album, yet it sounds nothing like any of the Foo's past material. I wouldn't say that it's 'heavier' but I would say that its the most aggressive material that Dave Grohl has ever wrote in his career. Best Tracks : 01 - All My Life 04 - Times like These 05 - Disenchanted Lullaby 06 - Tired of You 11 - Come Back This is the best album that the Foo's have made but I think that old fans like myself may need to get used to the band's new sound. // 10

One By One Reviewed by: logan_in_flight, on november 28, 2003

Sound: Foo Fighters 4th studio album goes back to their original sound (heavy, lots of crunchy guitars). Can only be described as grunge rock, it's like Dave finally tried to replicate his Nirvana days, and pulls it off stunningly. A nice live album (most of the tracks will work just as well live). // 8

Lyrics: Again fantastic lyrics from Mr Grohl, true to his emotions in every way. Amazingly the music ties with the lyrics so well, "As low as you go", with thrash drumming and power chord bliss. All in all lyrically superb, with few faults. // 10

Overall Impression: Overall perhaps not as good as "The Colour And The Shape", or "Foo Fighters", but still well worth listening to/purchasing. Tracks such as "Low", "Disenchanted Lullaby", and "Lonely As You",make for an excellent rock experience. P.S. Love the Drop D tuning!!! // 8

One By One Reviewed by: Drunkmonkey134, on march 19, 2004

Sound: This album is definitely a step away from the poppier songs of There Is Nothing Left To Lose and The Colour And The Shape. The lyrical content and songs are generally darker and less radio friendly than anything the Foos have done before. The disc starts off with a bang, with the first single, All My Life. All My Life is a barrage of guitars and fury packed into one neat package. Following All My Life is the third single, Low. This one of the hardest and fastest songs that they have ever made. The drums of Taylor Hawkins really shine hear, pounding through your stereo speakers behind the riffs of Dave Grohl and Chris Shiflett. Have It All is the next stand out track. It has a brilliant riff and is really one of the more radio friendly tunes on the album. the fourth track is Times Like These. This is probably the poppiest song on the album, with great clean guitars and some nice drumming. The disc then starts to tail off slightly from Disenchanted Lullaby on to Comeback. the standout tracks from this part of the album are Halo, which combines a nice acoustic guitar with some incredible lyrics to make another catchy song. the closer, Comeback, follows the tradition that the Foos have of finishing with a flourish. Clocking in at over 7 minutes, the first part of the song contains a nice guitar riff and some good bass work from Nate Mendel. The next section of the song is done on an acoustic guitar, and contains no lyrics. The album finishes out with the return of the elctrics for the last minute or so of the song. // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics written by Dave Grohl for this album are right on par with the rest of the albums, and definitely are influenced by his then fiancee(now wife).Standouts lyrically are Times Like These, which contains some metaphors and very meaningful words in the chorus. Disenchanted Lullaby and Halo are both great love songs. // 8

Overall Impression: Overall, One By One is another great album from Foo Fighters. Some of their best work is here, including All My Life, have It All, Times Like These, Halo, and Comeback. There won't be as many hits off of this album, but the quality and consistency is still there from Dave Grohl and co. This was one of the best albums released in 2002, and won a grammy for best rock record as well. // 8

One By One Reviewed by: winkypop, on march 29, 2004

Sound: This album could have been so good. And at the start, it looked like it was going to be good, but then it all goes crap. The music style of "Low" is excellent, it's heavy, and the video is great! // 6

Lyrics: "Low" just makes no sense to me, but it's still a great song. Dave Grohl is fantastic. He sings his little heart out. // 8

Overall Impression: This does not do very well to other albums, like "Is This It", "Songs For th Deaf", and not even to "From Here to Infirmary". "All My life" and "Low" have got to be the best songs on this album, by quite a bit. They're the only things I like about this album really. I hate most of the other songs. If I lost it, I'd go out and buy Jet's "Get Born". Unless you're a solid Foo Fighter's fan, I wouldn't recommend One By One. // 6

One By One Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 25, 2004

Sound: The sound of this album is the most accomplished by the Foo's looking into it apparantly they took a completely different approach to recording this album. I say it's the most accomplished sound but I dont feel it's necessarily the best. The colour and the shape is in my eyes the best album they made. I must say though I am very impressed with the very hard rock sound of "All My Life" and yet you can still tell it's the Foo Fighters. // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics aren't the best Dave Grohl has churned out but still pretty good. I personally dont look for meaning in lyrics I just listen to the harmony and melody they produce with the music and with this record the cerntainly dont fail the Foo's reputation. // 8

Overall Impression: I want to compare this with Metallica, I know they are the very at different ends of the spectrum but they have fallen into the same trap in tryin to change their sound and making the music they make more diverse but not quite hitting the mark to the publics point of view. I must say I loved this album when I first bought it but as I listend to more and more of their early stuff it started to change my mind on the record. If you haven't listen to any other Foo Fighters records buy this! If your a die hard Foo's fan they buy this and you may be slightly disapointed but not enough to care. // 8

One By One Reviewed by: unregistered, on august 12, 2004

Sound: Whats wrong with people and this album! Can't you tell that you have a great band who have made a class album! The first opening guitar chordes are class. The sound is great the deep echos of guitars and strong backbone of Hawkins on drums, as well as Mendal's bass sound. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics in most songs are great, but in some songs (Low) the lyrics are spread a little thin, but the most of the album kicks ass. // 8

Overall Impression: Overall, this is addmitingly not the best foo fighters album, but in my opinion it still beats other good albums out there. So buy this album, listen to it, and see what you think. // 10

One By One Reviewed by: Panny180, on may 06, 2005

Sound: At first, the album is actually quite impressive, but after a while, the guitar tires and the drums aren't quite as flshy as they used to be. There is only two words that I can attribute to this album - generic rock. Yes, it's true. If you doubt me, listen to it again and tell me what seperates this album from the other Foo Fighter albums. The answer is a lot. There aren't anymore classics (that's right, not even all my life) and absolutely nothing worth Remembering. // 4

Lyrics: Oh dear. Yet again, there are only two words to describe the words that go over the moans from the guitar - generic rock. They have no meaning, they have no purpose, they have no energy. They are only filler for a cake. Only, the cake's flat and the filler came from a dog's nose. // 2

Overall Impression: I started likeing this album, but eventually, after the second ime of playing, I have come to not care at all about it. Generic, meaningless drivel. The most impressive song is all my life, but it hardly has much competition. If it were stolen, then I would be dissapointed at the loss of a bloody good frisby. // 2

One By One Reviewed by: Rover Hendrix, on november 12, 2005

Sound: The foo fighters are an amazing band, and 2002s One By One proves this beyond all doubt. The band have really come a long way from the ashes of Nirvana, and Grohl shows that he is a better songwriter than Kurt Kobain in every way with these tracks. This album is a different style from their exceptional album, 1999s "There Is Nothing Left To Lose," the songs are more riff-orientated. This has not diminshed their ability to write the perfect chorus, a feat that Cobain tried to achieve previously (And did with heart-shaped box, in bloom, etc). But back to the album! It opens with the fabulous single All My Life, with a great chorus and louder guitars than ever before. It then moves onto Low, my favorite song on the album. It is dark and brooding, yet is somehow happy at the same time. As the album progresses, you will hear Foo Fighters experiment with different things, as demonstrated with songs such as Tired of You, which is palm muted for the entire song and does not even have drums! The bass on this album is brilliant, as you should expect, and the drums cut brutally to the fore (check out Times Like These or Have It All). All thats left to mention is the guitar, and Dave and Chris have really developed as songwriters. There is no song on this album that I dislike, even with its vast blend of different styles. The guitars are better than ever, and are louder, heavier and overall really add to this album. Full Marks! // 10

Lyrics: We now move on to the lyrics, and back to frontman Dave Grohl (aka the coolest person in rock). On TINLTL, Grohl astonished us with songs like Generator, Learn to Fly, and Aurora. On this album, he betters himself, with amazing lyrics on All My Life "All my life I've been searching for something, something never comes, never leads to nothing..." Times Like These "I'm a one way motorway" and have it all "I'm still in love with you, bot you gotta have it all." His lyrics are improving constantly and have reached their peak here. He shouts, he croons, he sings, yet he still manages to retain his unique style in his lyrics. He is truly one of the best singers of today, and his lyrics remain unsurpassed by all the wannabe bands out there. // 10

Overall Impression: I think I have said enough about this album for you to know one simple fact; this album you must own, fot the simple fact that it is brilliant. Foo fighters have done it again, and that should be enough for anyone to buy this. // 10

One By One Reviewed by: aMeRiCaNsTrAt21, on january 10, 2006

Sound: The sound of this album is the most accomplished by the Foo's looking into it apparantly they took a completely different approach to recording this album. I say it's the most accomplished sound but I dont feel it's necessarily the best. The Colour And The Shape is in my eyes the best album they made. I must say though I am very impressed with the very hard rock sound of "All My Life" and yet you can still tell it's the Foo Fighters. // 8

Lyrics: We now move on to the lyrics, and back to frontman Dave Grohl (aka the coolest person in rock). On TINLTL, Grohl astonished us with songs like Generator, Learn To Fly, and Aurora. On this album, he betters himself, with amazing lyrics on All My Life "All my life I've been searching for something, something never comes, never leads to nothing..." Times Like These "I'm a one way motorway" and have it all "I'm still in love with you, bot you gotta have it all." His lyrics are improving constantly and have reached their peak here. He shouts, he croons, he sings, yet he still manages to retain his unique style in his lyrics. He is truly one of the best singers of today, and his lyrics remain unsurpassed by all the wannabe bands out there. // 9

Overall Impression: This album is amazing, and I would recommend it to anyone who has a mild interest in rock, pop, or grunge since this record has elements of all 3. Best songs are All My Life, Times Like These, Low, Have It All, Disenchanted Lullaby. If this album was lost, I'd say fair play to the theif for choosing such a good album. Then I'd hunt him down. // 9

One By One Reviewed by: PJamMan6, on february 02, 2006

Sound: The Foos are a very goof band with lead singer, Dave Grohl coming all the way from Nirvana. They have a good sound and I find their best album is the rock on the In Your Honour album. This album is alright, but it doesn't really have the same affect when I listen to it then One By One. Most the guitar licks are good and even the slower songs aren't shabby. The Foos have been around for a while, not a favourite band of mine, but pretty good. This album is before the foos really got serious. Dave said the album to remember them by is In Your Honour, but One By One shows their skills well. // 7

Lyrics: The lyrics are quite good, especially where he describes himselfa s a one way motorway. I think that, full respect to Dave Grohl, but the guitar licks are great in all the osngs and sometimes when Dave comes in he looses some effect of the song. The lyrics are deep and there are many ways of taking them. Many songs are serious and the words to these songs are key and vital to getting the meaning of the songa across. Good lyrics overall. // 6

Overall Impression: As I said, this isn't their greatest album, but they are working up to a great album, which has just come out. One By One is like a working proggess for the band and the released singles are great, but the unreleased could have had more work on them. The Foos' songs shows off their talent in this album, but I feel sometimes there is a gap between the singer and the rest of the band. Mainly a good album from the Foos, nothing special, but typical get what you get from the Foos, Foos album. // 6

One By One Reviewed by: zephyrmop, on february 03, 2006

Sound: As a proper Foo Fighters fan I thought this album was awesome, there were albums before like The Colour and the Shape which I thought were better, but this album still rocked. I liked the little riffs Dave used espcially in Times Like These, the first riff is excellent, and he uses the chords well to produce a nice, steady background. For the rest of the album, they use a different mixture of methods, like lots of distortion and palm muting. This makes it good for any music fan because of the variety. // 8

Lyrics: I dont really listen to the lyrics that much, but I do like the singing of Mr Grohl, it goes well with the tone of the music. He's not too bad a singer. // 8

Overall Impression: Like I said before, I prefer The Colour and the Shape to this album, but it is still a great album. My favourite songs from the album are Times Like These, Low, All My Life and Come Back, I also believe Times Like These to be a classic Foo's song. And if someone stole it I wouldnt really care because its my brothers album! // 8

One By One Reviewed by: Reyu, on november 01, 2007

Sound: I seen this album on the shelf for 5.99, now I see why. The first four tracks were pretty good (which explains why they were chosen to be singles) but, the rest of the album is 'all filler, no killer' as they say. I seriously can't choose one good song from track five onwards. Especially the song tired of you it's probably the most boring song (or at least one of them) that I've listen to in my entire life. // 4

Lyrics: The lyrics are pretty average, nothing special. They also don't appear in the little book on the inside, I thought that's what they were for? Instead, it's filled with pointless pictures of the band. On to a more positive note, the singer Dave Grohl (Who we all already know from being the drummer for one of the greatest bands to have ever formed, Nirvana) has an incredable voice. // 5

Overall Impression: This is by far the Foo Fighters worst album, you'd be better off just buying something like 'in your honour' or 'the colour and the shape'. I've also heard that their new album is pretty good too. The best songs on this album are times like these, all my life and the final song come back. // 4

One By One Reviewed by: hellfire21, on december 01, 2007

Sound: It's hard to start this. Let's sart with previous Foo cds. Most of their cd's weren't very heavy and consisted of some acoustic ballads. This doesn't. This is Dave Grohl screaming, riffs in Drop-d, appearnce of Brian May (Tired of You), Chris's debut with the Foos, Talyor pounding the drums, and Nate puttin out those melodic bass riffs. How much more better could it get? I love "All My Life", the first Foos song I've ever heard, probably because of the palm muted G in the intro. As I was listening to album, I was doing my homework. The music was low, but I could Taylor's drum beats. They were amazing! // 9

Lyrics: This man learned from one of the best songwriters in history, Kurt Cobain. He has used that to his advantage. The intro to "All My life" is great. It would've been better if he sang it the way he did live, but it's great! "Tired of You" is a strong, but very quiet song with powerful lyrics. And how could I not write about "Times Like These", my favorite Foo Fighters song (yes, better than "Everlong"), The chorus the last time is wonderful. "It's times like these, you learn to live again, It's times like these, you give and give again, It's times like these, you learn to love again. It's times like these, time and time again" is the best chorus I've ever heard. Dave out does himself here. A 10 for that crazy bastard. // 10

Overall Impression: This my second favorite Foo Fighter cd, behind "The Colour and the Shape". "All My Life", "Low", "Times Like These", and "Tired of You" are stand-outs on this album. This is by far the heaviest of the Foo Fighters album, and the Foo's are at their best when they turn that distortion up to eleven. This is a must buy for Foo Fighters fans, and if I lost this cd, I would be in Best Buy tommorrow buying another one. A 9 for the Foo Fighters "One by One". // 9

One By One Reviewed by: frustrat62, on january 31, 2008

Sound: The recording is really crisp and have a very distinctive tone. Dave Grohl himself has said this is his least favorite record by the Foos as it was just sort of thrown together. It's pretty much straight out rock but there are lighter moments such as 'Tired of You'. There are really only 4 or 5 good songs on the record not that the rest are bad, they just lack the feeling. // 8

Lyrics: There is a wide range of lyrical topics and meaning but the two standout tracks (All My Life, Times Like These) have really strong lyrics. All My Life is, according to Grohl, a reference to performing oral sex on a woman. And if you really listen it makes sense but it's not dirty in an obvious way. The lyrics to Times Like These are some of the best ever put out by Dave Grohl if not the best. It really is an inspiring song. Dave Grohl delivers again with his awesome vocal ability and lets everything out especially in All My Life when his yells resonate perfectly. // 9

Overall Impression: Overall this isn't that great of an album but 'All My Life' and 'Times Like These' make it worth it. I love those two songs and 'Tired of You' but I hate how the rest of the album is kind of boring, just lacking overall. If it were stolen I would definetely pick up another copy. // 7

One By One Reviewed by: Tag43, on august 08, 2008

Sound: One By One sounds like Hard Rock. It sounds like the Foo Fighter tooks their time to make sure each song sounded like it should. With less experimental sound than their third album, There Is Nothing Left To Lose, Dave and friends create a solid sound. It also sounded like the Foo's took a sudden turn with their usual punk/rock sound. This isn't bad, although I prefer their older work better. Needless to say this is a brilliant album. // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics on One By One are pretty good. The lyrics sound like Dave took the time to really put his thoughts into the songs. I like when a band does that, the Foo Fighter's did just that. Dave is a good singer, though not the best. That doesn't mean he isn't good though. His best vocals, I think are on the tracks, Times Like These, Halo, and Come Back. As always, the lyrics go very well with the music. // 8

Overall Impression: I was very hesitant to buy this, because I've heard several of the tracks already. I wasn't sure if the new direction for the Foo's was good or bad. A few year passed, and I bought. Below, are some details on each track. 01. All My Life - the first single. It's a very good track, and sets the mood for what's to come. 02. Low - the third single. It's not the best song on the album, but it's good on it's own. 03. Have It All - the fourth and final single. A very good song that I enjoy. The lyrics are good as well. 04. Times Like These (One-way Motorway) - the second single. This is a class track for the Foo Fighter's, and one my favorites on the album. 05. Disenchanted Lullaby - a very good song. One of my favorites as well. It has a very interesting beginning, and is fun to play on guitars. 06. Tired Of You - probably the worst song on the album. Even so, It's an okay track. It's also all palm-muted, and there are no drums. 07. Halo - my favorite track on this album. It's an excellant song, and has very good lyrics. 08. Lonely As You - another good track. Again, it's not one of the best, but it'll take a few listens to get into. 09. Overdrive - might also take a few listens to get into. It's not the best, it has a tune that you can hum along to. 10. Burn Away - has a gritty intro, and a great bass line. Not the best. 11. Come Back - quite possibly the best outro song to a Foo Fighter album, next to New way Home off of TCATS. Probably my second favorite song of of here. An excellant song. This is one of the Foo's best albums in my mind. // 8

More Foo Fighters reviews rating latest review