The Colour And The Shape Review

8.8
 9.3
 8.2
The Colour And The Shape Reviewed by: unregistered, on september 20, 2005

Sound: The CD is good and quality. Lots of innovative songs, especially "Up In Arms" which is one slow song, then repeated super-fast. Dave Grohl does excellent drumming (William Goldsmith was originally the drummer, but quit during production, which led Grohl to drum along with singing/guitar) especially in "Everlong" (single) and "Monkey Wrench." Guitar, covered by Dave Grohl and Pat Smear, is well done, and nice and distorted. The album has a lot of high-noted songs, which gives it a awesome, fast paced feel in the songs that are, well, fast paced. Slow songs are played moderatly well, "Doll," "Walking After You" aren't exceptional, but still catchy. "Doll" is a sort of intro, but still good. "Hey, Johnny Park!" is an excellent song, very catchy with some nice bass lines, and fantastic riffs. // 10

Lyrics: Dave Grohl has a very good voice for this type of music, very rough, with lots of variety. He excells most on "Monkey Wrench," "New Way Home" and more. He's not fantastic at the slower songs, just mediocre. His voice doesn't just sound right on most them. He does improve considerably on the Disc 2 of "In Your Honor" and is a pleasure to listen to there. Lyrics are up to their normal standard. Very catchy, though not always making the most sense. The lyrics are diversed and not all focused on the same subject, thankfully not a whole load of love songs or anything. Titles are creative, "Monkey Wrench," "Everlong" are nice original titles. Remember, though reporters and critics like to insinuate that Grohl is always writing songs about Kurt Cobain (few have actually been based on that, except for "Friend Of A Friend" in "In Your Honor" ), this is not the case, and never was. Hooray. // 8

Overall Impression: Well, a month or so ago I got "In Your Honor," the Foo Fighters latest CD. I loved it, to say in the least. After a month or so of nearly nonstop play, I figured I'd buy another CD of theirs. I took previews of the other CDs, and settled on this one, the Color and the Shape. So today, I picked it up, and WOW. Like, huge, frickin wow. For your reading pleasure, I've included ratings out of 10 for each song. 01. Doll - 6/10, kinda stinks that this is just an intro, as partway through it gets to be quite a catchy tune. I would've been 8, but it's too damn short. 02. Monkey Wrench - 9/10, very catchy and cool song. Nice, high pitched, and upbeat. Proper length, and some very fancy guitar work. Lyrics work very well with it. 03. Hey, Johnny Park! - 10/10, possibly my favourite song of all time. Written for Dave Grohl's childhood friend. Simply awesome riffs and basslines. Catchy, diverse lyrics. Only slight, very slight, letdown is the chorus, kinda unoriginal. 04. My Poor Brain - 8/10, very well thought out lyrics, with a good layout. Dave's screaming excells at certain points. Only child-unfriendly song in the CD, because of the "f--k." 05. Wind Up - 7/10, another rougher song, and sounds great for it. Pity it's so short, I love it. 06. Up In Arms - 8/10, very creative song, starts slowly, for a minute or so, then the song gets repeated, fast forward. Very awesome, I love the drumming and the tune. Again, it's just too short! 07. my Hero - 9/10, simply awesome drumming. Fantastic. Very cool lyrics, would've gotten a 10, but it gets old. 08. See You - 7/10, a very upbeat song, bright, and shiny. Though not the catchiest song, it quickly grew on me. 09. Enough Space - 6/10, probably my least favourite track. Dave's screaming just does not fit in. The main riff is alright... I like it. Not so bad that it's so short. 10. February Stars - 8/10, a nice, soft song. Nice to chill out to, reminds me of "In Your Honor"'s "Virginia Moon". Unfortunatly, it won't win any awards. (Anyways, it came out in '97. 11. Everlong - 10/10, my second favourite track, the song defining the Foo Fighters. Their hit single, the one everyone loves, and with good reason. Very catchy, somehow very calming, though its so fast, especially the tune, which I love. 12. Walking After You - 7/10, it's an alright song, but it repeats it's self too often. All the same, it's another good chill out song. 13. New Way Home - 9/10, very catchy ending song, slow, yet fast at the same time. I loved the lyrics, and there couldn't have been a better song for the ending. Whew, my computer nearly froze a minute ago, I would've hated to lose all this writing. I have a new favourite album! I would reaptedly buy this album again and again no matter how many times it was stolen. // 10

The Colour And The Shape Reviewed by: unregistered, on may 23, 2005

Sound: Before even purchasing this album, I had amazingly high expectations, ones which were perhaps unrealistic. Prior to the buy, I had heard two songs; My Hero and Everlong. Both are magical, emotionally-charged melodies of an un-surpassed calibre, displaying the raw talent and sincerity of Dave Grohl. Obviously, these set a precedent for the remainder of the album, which, unfortunately, does not produce the same unadulterated intensity. Dave Grohl is clearly influenced by Nirvana, with grinding, battered guitar riffs and a hint of stroppiness which is particularly evident in Enough Space. Grohl also seems partial to melodic, pop-drenched lyrics, sometimes acquiring a lullaby type voice. I feel that this can dominate some songs in the album, songs which may have nurtured Grohl's natural penchant for spitting, aggresive vocal flavours. Despite it's short-comings, this album is refreshingly innovative. Dave chooses some unusual, rule-defying chord progressions and key changes on numerous songs. Some of which purists may wave their conservative finger at, but potentially, they are stretching the hazy parameters of rock music and shoving the ideals of the genre to a relatively un-chartered level of originality. With the unique blend of typical, exhausted major/minor scale riffs and sincere, convincing, odd progressions, the listener is subjected to the possible future in music. // 6

Lyrics: The majority of Dave's lyrics have always elluded me. I am not ridiculing his ability as a writer. Creating cryptic, mysterious lyrics can give a song exuberance and conviction. It also allows the the listener to dissect and interpret the music, perhaps even relating it to themself, thus augmenting the song with a whole new dimension and scope. But, if the lyricist is to vague and wraps the song in a blanket of ambiguity, this deciphering process becomes a challenge. Grohl's words are too solipsistic and sporadic for my liking, bar Everlong and My hero. Eddie Vedder is the undisputed master of lyrical poetry, with his ability to create meaningful, image-evoking stories covered in a mysterious veil sewn with metaphors and allegorys. Dave needs to suspend his Nirvana lyric influence and release his natural inner-grohl. // 6

Overall Impression: This albums wins my perpetual respect and fascination because of it's eagerness to steer off in a new rock tangent. I beleive that this the predominant, adverse factor which is restricting Grohl. It is a difficult feat, venturing into an alien style of music, and equally as difficult trying to block out all external factors. Peers, mainstream, public, press, past rock bands, they can all govern the direction in which your music heads, leaving you diffident and frustated. I beleive the Fighters can transcend all of this, possibly propelling themselves into legendary status. If only they could discern the lucrative spot from where My Hero and Everlong manifested, they could exploit it. If it was stolen or lost, I would probably not bother investing in a replacement. I see no logic in buying an album with 4/13 respectable songs. Overall, an enigmatic, ineteresting album, that is atleast worth a listen, despite its sporadicness and downfalls. // 6

The Colour And The Shape Reviewed by: everlong93, on august 16, 2007

Sound: This is the best Foo Fighters album, with the classic tracks. It is one of the heaviest Foos albums, behind Foo Fighters. The drums in the album are easily recocnisable as Dave Grohl's drumming, shown most evidently in the intro to My Hero, with a very hard-hitting style. Solos are very rarely used, as with most songs, breakdowns are more important here. Solos however appear in- My Poor Brain, Wind Up, Up In Arms and Enough Space. Overall, This album features a good range of sounds, ranging from very loud songs such as Monkey Wrench and Everlong, and the quiet acoustic soungs See You and Walking After You. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics in this album follow the beggining and ending of a relationship. Each song carries on the story from Monkey Wrench up to New Way Home. The only song that strays away from this is My Hero, which itself has very powerful lyrics. The song is thought to be about Kurt Cobain, however Grohl denies this. Dave's singing is quite good on this album, but not as good as later albums where his skills have developed. This album does feature the most screaming of Foos albums, such as on Monkey Wrench, My Poor Brain, Wind Up and Enough Space. Although the songs don't fit the screaming so much, Dave still pulls it off well. // 8

Overall Impression: Overall this album is the best, I think I've just worn it out because I've listened to it too much. I highly reccomend this album to anyone who has only heard the later stuff, and wants to hear the rest of Foo Fighters albums. // 10

The Colour And The Shape Reviewed by: HappyClam, on december 22, 2003

Sound: Firstly I could not stand theis great sounding albumn going without a review. The riff to start off "Monkey Wrench" is great sounding and will keep you huming it for the rest of ure life from the first listen and then followed up by the hard hitting and great sounding "Hey, Johny Park" witch, to me is a sound of its own. Skiping a few and moving on to "My Hero" witch has been well written and is a memroable song but is followed up by a jazz song, well I think its a jazz song, wich is called "see you" this is the only track on the albumn wich just dosnt sound like foo fighters to me. Next is the extreamly well written well played song "everlong" its a great song and one that even the people I know who dont like the Foos love. Skipping past "walking after you" and going straight to the final track on the albumn "New Way home" with a thrilling build up to a great ending i love it but mostly cause I like the shouty bit at the end. Overal the sound of this albumn is great. I'll give this *5 Stars*. // 10

Lyrics: The Lyrics For this albumn are great, they lyrics go well with the music and its style. The lyrics for the foo fighters are genraly quite wierd but thats only because of a few songs, but if all the lyrics made sense I doubt foo fighters would sound like foo fighters. This is another albumn were dave grohl has shown how good he is at singing I don't think anybody compares to the sound of his voice. Yep Definitely another *5 Stars*. // 10

Overall Impression: Ok, I've kinda described some of the best songs on the albumn in the sound bit but I'll put them in order of how much I like and think that generally other people would like down wards. Gretest song I think at the top is "Everlong" then "Monkey wrench" "Hey, Johny Park" "New Way Home" "My Hero" This is I think one of the greatest foo fighters albumns there is and is one of the greatest albumn I own it doesn't compare to any other albums or arists I know of, it's of its own class because it does not sound like any other albumns I own. The things I love about this albumn is mostly the hard sound although the things I hate is "see You" I don't like that song it dose not sound a thing like any of the foo fighters other stuff. I've already lost this albumn once and I went out and got another copy straight away and if I lost it again I'd do the same. If you are a Foo Fighters Fan then this album would be great for you it was definitely a great albumn for me for me. Hmmmm I wonder what rating this is gonna get *5 Stars*. I hope this review has been helpful, if it hasn't then thats just life isn't it. // 10

The Colour And The Shape Reviewed by: unregistered, on april 30, 2004

Sound: Absolutely Bloody Brilliant are 3 words that sum up this bands sounds on this album. This is by far the best of all there albums so far as their vocal sound, bass lines and phenomenal guitar riffs & solos show you who the band really are and what they really play. Grohls vocals stretch a wide variety, from calm acoustic sounds to a blistering scream in "Enough Space!". Bass lines are wicked on that song too, also on "New Way Home". The drummer for this band is brilliant! His fast and furious bangin really makes the songs alive and jumpy. And to finish off... thier guitar riffs & solos have never sounds better! There is a nice solo on "Up in Arms", not excellent but nice! // 10

Lyrics: Grohls vocal sounds match the lyrics to the songs perfectly, if talking about "My Hero" then he'd sing it very enthusiastically (not that he doesn't anyway on every song!). And the lyrics to "Enough Space" might sound weird but make sense and are still wickedly screamed by Grohl. Top Notch singing and lyrics! // 10

Overall Impression: This album shows who the band really are and what they play as I said before. This album has everything, acustic songs, heavy metal & just basics rock...my favourite trax on this album would have to be "Up in Arms" and "Everlong"...best song Ever!!! This album would be rated ten out of ten for me! TOODLOO PEEPS! // 10

The Colour And The Shape Reviewed by: unregistered, on may 24, 2004

Sound: Firstly I have to say I am a big foo's fan so i will be very one-sided. This album is great, the sound is great, the overlapping guitars and powerful bass gives it a rock edge, Daves voice is also great, and mathces the songs to a T.See "Everlong" for proof. // 10

Lyrics: I think that "The Colour And The Shape" has the best lyrics then any other foo fighter album, Dave really tries hard on this album and he leaves nothing undone. Everything is made at a level that could emake every song a single. // 10

Overall Impression: As I said before this is my favorite foo album and of all time, so I'll give it a 5. I also want to mention that this album was only 10.00 when i brought it. // 10

The Colour And The Shape Reviewed by: Big Bhoy, on june 28, 2004

Sound: I love the sounds on this album,the bassy stacked actors riff is very catchy. I had it with me foralong time in my head. The swooshy guitar for breakout is just cool, makesit stand out from other songs. Generator is so addictive and I just get taken in by evey song on the album. Aurora actually makes me think to the northern lights and the riff is just so haunting and I, and most people I know love it. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics go very well with the music and match up very well. Thereare no real mismatches at all. I get the feeling that there is a real meaning behind the lyrics of most of the songs that I didn't get with previous work like monkey wrench. Although Dave isnt the most technically gifted singer in the world he puts a lot of effort and emotion into the songs and his vocal style works very well with the way the songs have been written. // 8

Overall Impression: I think tihis is a really good album and I think it is actally better than the Colour and the Shape. I just find myself becoming engrossed in the songs and the album really does end far too soon. Which to me shows that it has made a very good impression. If you don't have it already, why not you freaks. // 10

The Colour And The Shape Reviewed by: unregistered, on august 09, 2004

Sound: First of all I would like to say Dave Grohl is a genius, for anyone to make an album like this is amazing. With Daves song writing and part time drumming, Pat Smears guitar playing, and Nate Mendels bassing they created and album that put them to the top. The sound is so great because of all the variety, no song sounds the same and almost every song on the albums a hit. From the hard rocking of My Poor brain, Wind up, and Enough space to the softer sounds of doll, hey, jonny park!, and Febuary stars. theres even some acoustics in see you and walking after you. But the greatest song, The Reason you should buy the album, Everlong. The greatest song in my opinion that the foos have ever made is everlong, Why? The lyric will blow you away like "Breathe out so I can breathe you in" the riffs are amazing and the drumming keeps you listening. even just buying this CD for the sound is good. // 10

Lyrics: Dave is an amazing writing, because of how fresh they are. They aren't the same crap you hear everyday, there diffrent. every song on the album has great lyrics, except I have to be honest, My Poor Brain lyrics sort of suck, but the sound make up for that, so I don't really care that much. If your not a fan of foos yet than you will be after listining to the lyrics of this album, and if you already are a fan you will love them even more. // 8

Overall Impression: It seems the more I listen to the foo fighters the more I like them and this album Blew Me Away. I can't say what you like but if you like Nirvana or Queens Of The Stone age you will love this album and I also feel you will like this album if you give it a chance. // 10

The Colour And The Shape Reviewed by: hellfire21, on september 24, 2007

Sound: Where to start? The sound of the Foo Fighters is unique. Dave Grohl (drummer for Nirvana) brings something special to the band. The one-time drummer's voice and singing talents are amazing. Then, his and Pat Smear's guitar playing on this album is great. Then Nate Mendel adds his ryhtmic bass lines. For the drumming, it says Taylor Hawkins, who is currently the Foos drummer, is on the album. But he is not. This is original drummer William Goldsmith. So add all these artist together and you get the unique sound that makes up the Foo Fighters. Raging guitars and drums on some songs. Soft acoustic guitars on others. 10 for the Foo Fighters "The Colour and the Shape". // 10

Lyrics: Now we talk about Dave Grohl. Don't forget that Dave did sing backup in Nirvana, so he wasn't new to this. It's amazing how Dave went from Nirvana, where Kurt wrote depressing and angry lyrics, to the Foo Fighters, where the lyrics are much more pleasant and less depressed. Now Dave has an amazing singing voice. It could be soft and calm in songs like "Walking After You". Or it can change to his insane primal scream in "Wind Up". Dave's vocals get a 10 from me. // 10

Overall Impression: Out of all 5 (only 3 days away from "Echoes, Silence, Patience, and Grace") Foo Fighters albums, this is by far my favorite. I love "Everlong", "Monkey Wrench", "Hey, Johnny Park", "My Hero" and "New Way Home". I love the Foo Fighters post-grunge sound. This is a must get for anyone interested in the Foo Fighters. "The Colour and the Shape" gets a perfect 10 from me. // 10

The Colour And The Shape Reviewed by: Tag43, on august 07, 2008

Sound: The sound on The Colour and The Shape is very good. With crunching guitars, a bombardment of drums and a solid bass line. I also like how they used effects on Enough Space. Since their debut album, the Foo Fighters have presented a sound that is a comnination of Punk Rock and hard rock, making it very pleasing to the ears. To me, this sounds like the Foo's signature sound. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics on The Colour and The Shape can be deep, and at times it can be just flat out. That doesn't mean the lyrics are bad, though. With songs like Monkey Wrench, My Poor Brain and Wind up, you can tell that Dave was in a pretty foul mood. Songs such as Hey, Johnny Park!, Everlong and February Stars, Dave seems to have taken some thought into the lyrics. The lyrics go very good with the music. Dave has a very strong voice, and can scream his balls off, or he can lower it to a whisper and still sound good. // 8

Overall Impression: I have to admit, when I first picked this up, I didn't touch for a while. It took me some time to appreciate, and it's my favorite album I own. It's very well produced and the tracks are colorful, as in they show lots of emotion throughout the album. I especially love how any track on here can match a certain mood you might be in. The most impressive songs on this album, I think are "Everlong", "February Stars", "Monkey Wrench" and "New Way Home." "Everlong" is an impressive song, because it has real meaning it. While this the Foo Fighter's most recognizable song, something about it makes it even better. "February Stars" is impressive for its merging into a very soft, and gentle song, into a loud and proud song. One of my favorites on this. "Monkey Wrench" is up there with my favorite songs. Taylor is an excellant drummer and shows off his talent in this song. This is an irrestibly catchy song. "New Way Home" is the closer for The Colour and The Shape. Dave and co. certainly know how to close an album. This is one of the better tracks on TCATS. If this album was stolen, I would go out and buy two copies just so I could an extra if it was stolen again. // 10

The Colour And The Shape Reviewed by: acdclandon, on november 25, 2009

Sound: The sound of the album is very polished, especially compared to their debut album. The music runs along hard rock and somewhat punkish territory's, but also can be very soft, melodic, and catchy too. The album was still dominated by Dave Grohl's presence much like the first one. He recorded many guitar parts and almost all the drum parts for the album. The sound the Foo Fighter's truly created here was that of modern arena rock, or arena alternative if you will. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are simply put amazing on the album. The Colour And The Shape is a loose concept on the timeline of a relationship. To me this hits home very well, its not very hard to see with songs like "Doll", "Everlong", "Walking After You", "February Stars", and "Monkey Wrench" all describing relationship battles and victories. To me "Doll" is like a intro of sorts, showing the situation as the status quo and informing the listener of the kinds of trials and tribulations that occur on the album. "Monkey Wrench" seems like a classic fight over not wanting to be used in relationship. Some songs don't really touch on this subject, for instance "Hey, Johnny Park!", "My Hero", and "Wind Up" don't seem to connected with the plot. "My Poor Brain" seems to describe how hard this relationship has become. "Up In Arms" is a testament to still loving the other person even through all the trouble. "See You" is a moment of pure satisfaction and glory in the relationship. "Enough Space" is where it comes to a head and the character exclaims how he doesn't have enough space. "February Stars" is a truly fantastic song perfectly encapsulating the feeling of trying to move on from the relationship, but it being very hard to. "Everlong" is another masterpiece on the album that describes that feeling of never wanting a particular moment to end. "Walking After You" is the final slow sad symbol of moving on in the relationship, with the character truly traumatized. "New Way Home" is the finale, the ultimate statement of moving on, no longer sad but completely ready. Dave Grohl really has a talented voice. On the harder songs he can really scream, (Monkey Wrench, Enough Space, Wind Up) and on the softer songs he really has a dreamy voice (February Stars, Walking After You, Doll, Everlong). // 10

Overall Impression: Personally I think it's the best Foo Fighter's album, and one of my favorite albums of all-time period. I'll go over the songs one by one: 01. Doll: underrated, a great melody and a great intro to the album's premise. 7.5/10 02. Monkey Wrench: a very good song on the album with a great message that really is complimented by the music. The lyrics and music mesh together perfectly. 9/10 03. Hey, Johnny Park!: an incredibly underrated song on the album, with great transitions from soft to heavy and vice versa. Grohl's voice is especially good. 9.5/10 04. My Poor Brain: a pretty good song with a great verse melodic vocal line. 8/10 05. Wind Up: a nice chromatic riff, but the song is just kinda filler sounding to me. 7/10 06. Up In Arms: the beginning soft part of this song is just pure relaxation and bliss musically, and the second part is a frat party in a single song. 9/10 07. My Hero: a perfect representation of Dave Grohl's near perfect song writing. The chord progression, main riff, and vocal lines are stunning. 9.5/10 08. See You: a pretty decent pop song, kinda filler-ish but I don't mind. 7/10 09. Enough Space: an okay riff, but the song structure isn't FF's finest hour. 6/10 10. February Stars: the most underrated song on this album for sure, pure musical genius. The lyrics, dreamy vocal line, and incredible guitar sound all culminate into this explanation point on the album. 10/10 11. Everlong: one great song leads to another, a PERFECT song structure which satisfies your appetite fully but leaves you wanting to listen to the song another 20 times in-a-row. Simply excellent. 10/10 12. Walking After You: a purely beautiful song, it really doesn't get much better than this. The best vocals from Grohl on the whole album and an incredible production and instrumentation finalize on this one track. 10/10 13. New Way Home: cannot think of a better way to end this roller coaster of an album. The song for the first couple minutes establishes itself with plenty of great hooks, but the ending buildup is that final release of emotions that set this album ablaze with passion. 9.5/10 // 10

More Foo Fighters reviews rating latest review